• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2013-03-2721_12_56-tw8gi7p.png

SJRB

Gold Member
The horn confuses you, but the robotic arm, the flaming whale, the flaming pegasus, the ghost visions, and the zombie Volgin are okay? Really? :)

Of course. Those all seem effects from his coma and/or drug intake. They're hallucinations. Or conjured by young Psycho Mantis.

Either way, they fit within the logic of the Metal Gear universe.

Big Boss having horns however is not something that can be explained in a similar fashion, hence why it sticks out [no pun intended].

watership

I suppose it's okay to be lost. I played MGS 2-4, but didn't Big Boss die in 4? And I'm pretty sure he didn't have a metal hand. At least, I didn't notice. Is this another clone? LOST. SO LOST.

If this takes place entirely within a coma state, that means Kojima has no reason to tell a coherent story. The perfect solution!

Unless all this craziness about unicorns, whales, horses etc are all inside Snake's head during the coma, I am out. This series had a good run until 10 years ago, but it's getting ridiculous.

Raiden

Banned
I think the entire game takes place in Snake's mind. It's his dream while he's in a coma!

Metal Gear Inception!

I'm actually starting to think something along those lines is happening. This Ishmael guy sounds like a lighter Kiefer than Big Boss's one. Also he is the one injecting the drugs and helping him get out of there.

The line "drugs not working?" is because there are no drugs and he is doing this on willpower.

In other words, Ishmael is his imaginary friend.

This is going to be the most batshit over the top installment. It's going to make the others look modest and down to earth by comparison.

I honestly think only "The Phantom Pain" section of the game will look like this. We haven't seen much of the open world gameplay. All of this surreal, dreamlike stuff is probably just VR or coma/drug induced visions. I have a feeling the game will settle into "normal" MGS territory as soon as you get control of Big Boss with his new arm after the coma.

I think we all knew it'd happen at some point as BB gets older. I mean all the kiddos had different voices and BB in MGS4 was a diff VO too.

MGS4 got away with it cos he didn't look like Snake/Big Boss anymore. he looks similar but obviously meant to look different and older so the voice suited. In GZ/PP he looks identical to how he did in MGS3 so having a different voice is odd.

To me Snakes defining feature was his voice, he didn't sound like anyone else and it matched his face very well. It wasn't the best quality voice acting but it was definitely apt. And for me Hayter is the one and only Snake. Imagine replacing Nathan Drake with someone or changing Master Chiefs voice

RangerBAD

I suppose it's okay to be lost. I played MGS 2-4, but didn't Big Boss die in 4? And I'm pretty sure he didn't have a metal hand. At least, I didn't notice. Is this another clone? LOST. SO LOST.

They had his body on ice all those years and he was somehow reconstructed by nanomachines (probably).

Nags

Banned
If that's Ocelot I don't understand why he looks so old. If the game takes place in 1983 then he should not even be in his 40's. He was 19 in MGS3 as far as I remember, and that took place in 1964.

BANANAMACHINES

I think that is Miller, not Ocelot. The hairline is different. Also Miller sports a scarf.

So hype.

It will be sad that Hayter wont be back...but perhaps Solid Snake will show up because reasons?
Maybe this isn't even BigBoss?

who knows...

I just want it now

Hold up, hold up, hold up.... There was no Vita variant announced was there?

If so this just smashed all my Vita owning dreams, I was holding out for an MGS developed for it. There is no emoticon that can convey my dissapointment...

Raiden

Banned
Is it possible that new VA is voicing Big Boss (Naked Snake) and that Hayter will voice Solid Snake. Assuming that Solid Snake will actually make an appearance in this game...

That would be a good bet actually. Kojima knows how much the MGS fanbase adores Hayter. And i would be surprised if he just replaces him.

BB wore gloves in 4. So yeah, now it looks like he had a prosthetic arm.

Cause he's sprouting a massive tree trunk horn it would seem.

Also I'm curious why Ishmael says the whole world wants him dead.

subplot from peace walker, outer heaven is the first private military group and one of Cypher plan is to fire a nuke from motherbase and make them looks like terrorist group, a threat for every country in the world.

in Ground Zero trailer, you also hear conversation between big boss and miller about upcoming inspection from UN to motherbase.

so presumably, something will go wrong and Outer Heaven will be blamed for it.

duckroll

Of course. Those all seem effects from his coma and/or drug intake. They're hallucinations. Or conjured by young Psycho Mantis.

Either way, they fit within the logic of the Metal Gear universe.

Big Boss having horns however is not something that can be explained in a similar fashion, hence why it sticks out [no pun intended].

What makes you think the coma ever ended? Do you think any of the game is real? It'll be pretty awesome if the game supposedly takes place in 1984, but there are no references to anything beyond 1975.

So we're supposed to believe that after the hospital scene(s), Snake gets a proper robotic arm, and starts up a new outfit called "Diamond Dogs" right? Bowie's Diamond Dogs album was released in.... 1974. :)

Fantomex

Ishmael seems like part of the running gag with Phantom Pain. The entire Moby Dick Studios troll, and the first thing the guy says in this trailer is "Call me Ishmael". Obvious Kojima trolling.

I thought about that too, however the character being a ghost could symbolize the Phantom part. Ishmael on the other hand, in history is either considered a hero or villain. Depending on your religious inclination or maybe even historical viewpoint. I mean after all the series is constantly portraying the "lost ones" mentality in which generations seem to branch off and make their own way. Which Ishmael is known for with his 12 tribes and early beginnings in Arab/Muslim history. I totally understand that Ishmael is the name of the main character in Moby Dick, but Kojima is crazy and has taught me to think of the craziest things to make sense of other things.

VegaNine

What's the thing on Snake's forehead, during that last segment? I've seen it a few times but can't figure out that it is. Kinda looks like a devilish horn, but that can't be right. :p

It looks like some kind of a home-remedy leaf bandage.

EDIT: Nah, just saw the trailer and whatever it is has a more dimensional shape.

This definitely suggests to me that most if not all of the game will be "in his head":
Most definitely. It's also an easy way to explain a lot of stuff away like flying flame whales.
Could also be he's afraid of Volgin coming back so he sees him in a demon form on fire that can disappear like an apparition.

Did you also notice how none of the main dudes have recognisable faces when he "Wakes up" in the hospital? they're all covered up or hidden. Further going the nightmare route

Unless all this craziness about unicorns, whales, horses etc are all inside Snake's head during the coma, I am out. This series had a good run until 10 years ago, but it's getting ridiculous.
That was all pycho mantis...didnt you play mgs1 and watch thw trailer?

RedSwirl

I want MG1 and 2 remakes already.
Fox engine, pave the way!

This. It's time we saw Solid Snake's beginning and Big Boss's end. MG2 still holds up really well today, but Kojima should repaint the picture for fans not willing to go all the way back that far.

Vamphuntr

XOF was removed entirely. They didn't replace anything with FOX. A Trojan Horse is generally not pretending to be the enemy, but rather providing a "gift" with a hidden trap inside. It has to be Chico.

Chico will have the first nanomachines ever created in his body, won't he? :p

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
More of this convulted mess? *sigh*

Kojima should do a reboot. The series is IMO way too old for a story this complicated. By now there shouldn't be a lot of hardcore fans any more and I don't see this series being appealing to new audiences at all. Kojima should just reboot or at least make a clear cut and intoduce a new cast of characters.

tumblr_m1bu1wRuxe1qmlph5.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yes, I'm going with sort-of Fight Club hallucination. To recap, this is based on:

-Ishmael and Big Boss are both voiced by Kiefer in the scene.

-Ishmael points back at Big Boss when Big boss asks him who he is.

-Ishmael corrects himself when he goes "I've--we..."

-Ishmael never supports Big Boss's weight to help him out of the hospital. He flips him over at one point, but not in a way that Big Boss wouldn't be able to do himself. Doesn't make sense whatsoever to leave Big Boss flopping around if they're trying to escape together and Ishmael is able to walk.

-Ishmael is a funky sort-of character sort-of omniscient narrator in Moby Dick. He introduces himself, but his attributes as a character fall away entirely as the story progresses. Here, in the very first line of the gameplay footage, Ishmael calls Big Boss "Ahab," so it's a direct reference to the scenario in Moby Dick.

-Obviously all sorts of other hallucinations are taking place. Volgin etc.

I think that should be sufficient ;b

MGS4 isn't that highly regarded for it to be overrated.

Really? All I ever see is people praising the heck out of it everywhere. Some other forums have kids gushing non stop about it and the reviews for it all giving perfect scores.

I think MGS4 is the weakest in the quadrilogy TBH. Didn't have that MGS magic

What makes you think the coma ever ended? Do you think any of the game is real? It'll be pretty awesome if the game supposedly takes place in 1984, but there are no references to anything beyond 1975.

So we're supposed to believe that after the hospital scene(s), Snake gets a proper robotic arm, and starts up a new outfit called "Diamond Dogs" right? Bowie's Diamond Dogs album was released in.... 1974. :)

Possibly yeah... I'd point to his 80's inspired helicopter, but that's being used to fly him home in the 70's. I'd previously speculated that wouldn't show up until post-coma but it looks like it must be out of Mother Base's knack from building future tech ahead of time.

Roto13

@DavidBHayter Such a shame. Did they even ask you to do it?
@KarelHering Nope.

He may not have been the best but his voice was snake, it was one of his defining features and I'm sure we will all get over it, but it's just weird

Snake's dead. This is Big Boss.

Yes, I know he had the same voice in some of the games, but as he gets older he starts looking and sounding less like Solid Snake and more like Sean Connery. It's time to move on.

Persona86

Banned
Ask if it is coming to Next-Gen and PC

He probably will decline to answer, but maybe give us some clues.

Can you imagine if the whole hour is him saying "Unfortunately I cannot answer that" and then at the end he's like "All your questions will be answered at E3"

SkylineRKR

Walkman

Top Bottom