• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico is ready to hit the U.S. where it hurts: Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.
75068931.jpg

FTFY

e98PXmx.jpg

I think it's awesome that Mexico is standing up like this. Trump's rhetoric so far has been bullying, and while I'm not saying there aren't issues with the US immigration policies (full disclosure, I'm from Canada and we're not perfect either) sticking a fucking wall up is not the answer in the modern age.

Countries can take advantage of global economic opportunities when faced with this kind of shit.

SpecX

No but when the next election comes up, the voters will know who tanked the economy and will be more likely to vote Democrat.

Republicans could decide not to nominate him as their runner and put up another candidate. Highly unlikely, but if things do look bad for them to continue with him for re-election, it's an option.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
No but when the next election comes up, the voters will know who tanked the economy and will be more likely to vote Democrat.

I remember when we all thought the Republicans learned their lesson back in 2008 during the economic crisis when Bush's approval rating was incredibly low and the Democrats swept everything.

Then 2010 happened and showed us that Republican voters didn't learn shit from anything.

If the red states hurt from something that Mexico does in response to Trump, those voters will just blame Mexico. All of right wing media will make Mexico look like the problem also.

Nafai1123

Banned
Between this and deporting hard-working undocumented workers Trump is going to cripple our agricultural industry. Get ready for sky-high food prices across the board.

Zetta

Welp I guess Trump can always make the wall out of corn seeing as how there won't be a shortage for some time. It sucks that this effects people who didn't vote for Trump but this is the only way Trump supporters will get it through their thead that they F'd up.

D i Z

Nebraska and Iowa are fucked.

How much funding are they getting from blue states and the fed? They keep biting the hand that feeds them, but that's not going to last forever with their voting that undermines all of that for them, and Cheeto Supreme beefing with California.

Good, they don't deserve the market from the very same people they loathe and discriminate against, they would rather vote into office the man who fucks over everyone instead of letting everyone thrive together, fuck them.

This would no doubt affect corn prices but I don't think this is going to be the crippling blow to the midwest some of you are dreaming of.

We only export 13% of all the fucking corn we grow and Mexico only takes 23% of that.

23% off all our corn exports isn't a small amount.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This would no doubt affect corn prices but I don't think this is going to be the crippling blow to the midwest some of you are dreaming of.

We only export 13% of all the fucking corn we grow and Mexico only takes 23% of that.

That's still a crazy amount of money for places to be stuck on a product that's already pretty saturated.

Chumly

Corn and soybeans are half the price they were 4 years ago. If 3% of the market vanishes it's going to have a bigger impact than you think.

this is so dumb. even if other countries subsidize their corn production its really no match for american corn that's heavily mechanized and efficient that they wouldn't be able to compete unless they start ramping up their production which would take years. basically mexicans get to pay more for corn and i'm guessing mexicans spend a higher percentage of their income on food. american farmers are hurt and loses out on a essential export source but the corn could be used to make ethanol or exported to somewhere else but it actually makes corn prices cheaper for domestic consumers because of over supply. maybe they'll even sell the corn to brazil then brazil would resell it to mexico because of the price logistics.

all this looks like is two egos Trump and Nieto selfishly making trade decisions without regard for their own people.

Our corn subsidies are already really ridiculous, and wasteful.

Corn is actually a really fucking terrible and inefficient crop for ethanol fuel production. Outside of the US and Brazil (sugarcane ethanol), you don't see many countries even producing ethanol fuel of any type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_energy_balance

Of course, I can't wait for the US to again decide that corn is a crop they need to invest more into

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom