• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Arnt no longer writing Star Wars VII - now Lawrence Kasdan and JJ Abrams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. JJ is picky.

Truth is, i'm sure when he came into ST, he was given almost complete freedom to take that franchise in a new direction. It seems to me that, rightfully so, Disney wants a lot more control over its baby, probably more than JJ is used to.

This is going to be one of those movies that everyone has to mention the torturous development of before they do their reviews, isn't it. It'll be used as the main reason the film turned out so poorly.

This is hardly torturous development. Shit like this happens all the time on movies. It's just that Star Wars is a bit more high profile than most and it's getting more attention still.

Jarmel

Banned
Truth is, i'm sure when he came into ST, he was given almost complete freedom to take that franchise in a new direction. It seems to me that, rightfully so, Disney wants a lot more control over its baby, probably more than JJ is used to.

Actually this sounds like the opposite in this case. JJ scrapped a script that he didn't like while some of the executives did.

Metalmarc

Oh even if it somehow ended up as good as empire (unlikely) but some groups of fans would end up bitching about it anyway

Thats the way it is.

There's no way this is coming out in summer 2015. November or December, at best now.
For all we know Kasdan and Abrams already have a completed draft. They could have had one done a long time ago.

Also, it's not out of the reapossibilityity that they work on the script while filming.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Megaton. Kasdan is a good writer though so I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.

I wonder if this is going to affect the cameos.

Yeah the guy did help write Empire and Return of the Jedi so we are in good hands. Wonder why they tossed the other one though?

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah the guy did help write Empire and Return of the Jedi so we are in good hands. Wonder why they tossed the other one though?

My conjecture is that the the Arndt script was focused on cameos and nostalgia while JJ wanted something new and rather separate from the Lucas stuff. Something more in vein with how ANH was when it was released.

iamblades

Kasdan writing is fine with me, but with this much trouble in preproduction, it makes me worry that the movie might be a mess regardless of who is working on it, especially if they stick to what was already an incredibly aggressive release date for a movie of this scale.

Hearing that Arndt's script was focused on Solo kids, and Abrams wanted to keep it Skywalker-centric.

I go back and forth on this.. Solo kids are still technically Skywalkers and we know the mom and the dad.

whatever I have faith in everyone involved for some odd reason.

My conjecture is that the the Arndt script was focused on cameos and nostalgia while JJ wanted something new and rather separate from the Lucas stuff. Something more in vein with how ANH was when it was released.

I dunno. I'm inclined to say scratch that, reverse it.

this needs to be reversed..

edit: damn you BobbyRoberts

look the first film NEEDS to have cameos and original actors to pass the torch. I do not want to see anyone else playing these characters.

As much as I respect Kasdan's work on ESB, he is also 64 years old. It's really rare for people to deliver remarkable work when they get to that advanced of an age. Maybe he's just being brought in to tighten up some trouble spots.

Writing is the one area where older usually means better.

That's cool. Kasdan obviously knows what he's doing.

That said, I have the strangest feeling that Arndt script will eventually surface and turn out to be awesome.

Blader

Scripts get rewritten all the time, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. Especially with Abrams at the helm, it was a given that he was would to be very involved with the screen play. I wouldn't be surprised if this happend a long time ago but we're just now hearing about it.

Because the entire script getting dumped mere months before shooting is kind of big.

I don't know. It's impossible to say one way or another without absolutely any info.

I think given Star Trek and Super 8, we know where JJ lies no the nostalgia debate.

That's cool. Kasdan obviously knows what he's doing.

That said, I have the strangest feeling that Arndt script will eventually surface and turn out to be awesome.

I remember thinking this about Darabont's script for Indy IV - but then I read it and it wasn't that great, either.

Jarmel

Banned
It's really hard to say much about this because we didn't have a plot summary or even a general theme about the old script. Kasdan is a great writer but Arndt is pretty solid as well. If we had more info I could take a stronger stance on this but the casting rumors could have been for either script. We also don't even know when the decision to scrap everything happened.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Always thought he was a weird choice that didn't really fit the genre (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3 as top history), but thought he'd be good for dialogue.

Because the entire script getting dumped mere months before shooting is kind of big.

the news release does not say the script is dumped it says "Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point "

or it could have happened awhile ago.

I have faith in Kasdan. I'm okay with this.

I think given Star Trek and Super 8, we know where JJ lies no the nostalgia debate.

The former tossed out any part of a well-loved franchise deemed to be problematic in making a blockbuster, and the latter was slavishly nostalgic and hewed to form. Which puts Abrams... in favor of nostalgia, as long as he likes what he's working with?

Such a dumb move hiring Abrams anyways. Him and his hack squad make such boring forgettable films. Flashy as hell but literally forgotten once you leave the theater. I forgot about the major details in trek 2 like an hour after I saw it

I dunno guys.

I'd rather a director take control and own the film he's going to make than submit himself to a workman-like studio-ball-tickling role where his vision amounts to serving somebody else's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom