• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michelle Rodriguez: better quality + quantity for Fast 9 female characters or I quit

xfactor99

What they did with Elena's character in 8 was so awful that it doesn't really matter how cool or badass Letty or Cipher are, it gives F&F an F for female representation.

F&F has never been *that* great at female representation, but it's gotten worse over the years. For a series that enjoys a reputation for ethnic diversity, it's time to step up to the plate on having more cool, badass, well-written female characters as well.

Wazzy

Banned
Bring back Gal pls. One of the better female characters that could have been fun to see with Letty.

I also agree with Michelle's point and I adore this series. F8 was terrible for the female characters.

I've always liked Rodriguez, not just as an actress, but someone who puts up.

She is very right. I'm not sure the team need more characters, the roster is pretty big right now. It could use its female characters much better.

I feel like bringing Gal back would be a stretch in logic even by F&F standards, which is saying a whole hell of a lot.

Plus she'd probably cost way more now than she did previously.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The movies are fun as hell, but it's unquestionably some crass male-gazey shit with little of anything for its named female characters, atleast in comparison to the male cast.

Just shrugging it off and going "OH WELL, YOU'RE OUT" or saying she gets recast is like willfully ignoring the problem.

Its not like she has the talent to do anything worthwhile with a meatier part even if they gave it to her.

Im sure she's got a bunch of sequels to The Assignment lined up if she does bail though.
Who cares?

Are you up in arms whenever The Rock or Vin Diesel get any lines? Neither are powerhouse actors. This belief that women gotta be FUCKING AMAZING AND BEYOND SKILLED at everything to even have a CHANCE to speak in a role is stupid. Charlize Theron was up there and she barely had shit to do bruh

Shaanyboi

Banned
Its not like she has the talent to do anything worthwhile with a meatier part even if they gave it to her.

Im sure she's got a bunch of sequels to The Assignment lined up if she does bail though.

This franchise's lead actors were Paul Walker and Vin Deasel. Why are we now putting standards for acting quality when it comes to the female cast?

Monocle

Charlize Theron's Cipher was the most charismatic and capable female character in the franchise if we're honest. I'd watch a spinoff about her early career in a heartbeat.

The movies are fun as hell, but it's unquestionably some crass male-gazey shit with little of anything for its named female characters, atleast in comparison to the male cast.

Just shrugging it off and going "OH WELL, YOU'RE OUT" or saying she gets recast is like willfully ignoring the problem.
Yeah, it's not just a lack of well developed female characters that's the problem. This series loooooooves its salacious ass shots.

KaiserBecks

What an odd realization. I can't recall in how many of these films she actually participated (as I find them utterly forgettable), but it seems so weird to say "Yeah, if this doesn't change in No 9, I'm out!". I do agree with her point though. Better late than never I guess.

Kinyou

RODRIGUEZ: First and foremost, bringing some more women on the good team, not just bringing an amazing actress to play the bad guy, and having more female camaraderie, having women do things independently outside of what the boys are doing
The team needs to cut some fat, not bring in even more people. They already don't know what to do with the the game of thrones girl.
Wont say no to a Rodriguez, Brewster teamup though

The team needs to cut some fat, not bring in even more people. They already don't know what to do with the the game of thrones girl.
Wont say no to a Rodriguez, Brewster teamup though

Yeah, Cipher had nothing to do in 8. She literally just sat in Luda's car as eye candy for most of the movie and the ending with her character was a joke.

I’ve been making movies with Jordana, who plays the sister of Dom Toretto, for 16 years and I can count on one hand how many lines I’ve had to her.

I think she's barely had any lines to anyone but Vin Diesel.

I remember in the fourth one Brian was responsible for putting her in that undercover job that got her "killed" or whatever and at one point Brian says "She was my friend too, Dom" or something like that and I was like...was she really?
I went through the first movie in my head and couldn't think of a single time her and Paul Walker shared any on-screen dialogue whatsoever.
I'm not even sure if they had any dialogue in the following movies either.

Alfredo

Bring back Giselle to avenge Han. Find a way to bring back Mia. Give Ramsey her own car. Helen Mirren gets a car, too.

jdstorm

Banned
Fast 6 had Giselle (Gal Gadot) and Riley (Gina Carano) have a nice buddy moment. So its unfair to say that the series has never done it. In saying that they have a great core cast full of some excelent female characters so its wierd that they haven't had more to do.

This is especially true since the quality of the Fast franchise is in direct corelation to how much Mia (Jordanna Brewster) appears in a film

Wait 'til you find out what happened to Dom's Brazilian girlfriend Elena in Fast 8:

They retcon it so that Dom knocked her up while they were together, and she had the baby but never told him about it (I guess because being a single mother is so much fun?). Then Charlize Theron kidnaps her and the baby to get leverage over Dom to do her evil deeds, and when Dom doesn't obey she shoots Elena in the head. They literally used the character to give Dom a a baby without having to have Michelle Rodriguez be pregnant for a whole movie, then killed her off when they were done :p
Are you kidding me?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She was in a movie last year where she had to put on a prosthetic penis and pretend to be a man who was forced to have a sex change and become a woman.

I mean... I know you gotta eat, but if you're all about good roles for women, I don't know what you're thinking.

I'd love there to be a more feminist Fast and Furious film, where the female characters are given as much agency and character interactions with each other as the male ones do already. It's pretty easy, too, considering how many female characters there are now in the franchise. Just need better writers, like maybe having a female writer for the first time?

Gal Gadot
Nathalie Emmanuel
Michelle Rodriguez
Jordana Brewster
Elsa Pataky
Gina Carano
Sarah Yan Li
Ronda Rousey

Kinyou

Yeah, Cipher had nothing to do in 8. She literally just sat in Luda's car as eye candy for most of the movie and the ending with her character was a joke.
The "you guys don't even know my name" joke felt almost meta as no one in the audience does either.
Fast 6 had Giselle (Gal Gadot) and Riley (Gina Carano) have a nice buddy moment. So its unfair to say that the series has never done it. In saying that they have a great core cast full of some excelent female characters so its wierd that they haven't had more to do.

This is especially true since the quality of the Fast franchise is in direct corelation to how much Mia (Jordanna Brewster) appears in a film
Fast 6 also had that great subway fight scene between Rodriguez and Carano.

I think she's barely had any lines to anyone but Vin Diesel.

I remember in the fourth one Brian was responsible for putting her in that undercover job that got her "killed" or whatever and at one point Brian says "She was my friend too, Dom" or something like that and I was like...was she really?
I went through the first movie in my head and couldn't think of a single time her and Paul Walker shared any on-screen dialogue whatsoever.
I'm not even sure if they had any dialogue in the following movies either.

In Fast Five she was guiding the team by radio through Rio when they were stealing the safe. I mainly remember it because she was doing an accent for the streetnames which seemed a little strange since Dom or Brian one would care if they were told to take Rua Fonseca or Reuaa Foannsjieka.

Bladenic

Wait, is Jordana's response in the OP quote saying "yeah let's have equal screentime but we don't need our own storylines." ???

jdstorm

Banned
In Fast Five she was guiding the team by radio through Rio when they were stealing the safe. I mainly remember it because she was doing an accent for the streetnames which seemed a little strange since Dom or Brian one would care if they were told to take Rua Fonseca or Reuaa Foannsjieka.

Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) wasn't in Fast 5. The Voice on the radio was Mia (Jordanna Brewster)

I wonder if she's just sick of being typecast as Tough Latina Chick in every movie she's done for the last 20 years and wants someone to give her a script that gives her something new to do.

I wonder if she's just sick of being typecast as Tough Latina Chick in every movie she's done for the last 20 years and wants someone to give her a script that gives her something new to do.

Latinos in general don't have it easy in Hollywood

film-and-television-credits-last-rites-gang-hector-year-title-role-4983455.png

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
it's interesting (and good) to see her having a more thoughtful and socially aware stance on her work through the years, because she truly didn't give a shit before.

2010:

“Oh baby, I was typecast the minute I did a film called, Girlfight years ago. That has nothing to do with anything, it just to do with… you allow yourself to be typecast. If I decided I didn’t want to be typecast tomorrow I’d just go do an indie film where I play some poor girl who goes through some excruciating experience and win myself an award for crying or being raped [breaks into laughter] or playing someone with mental illness. But at the end of the day I’m not in it for the acting. If I were in it for the acting then I would be worried about people not giving me the opportunity to express my vast array of emotions on the screen.

I could give two shits. I only wanna be someone or I respect or someone that I consider interesting or fun. I’m here to entertain people and make a statement about female empowerment and strength and that’s what I’ve done for the last 10 years, and people can call it typecast, but I pigeonholed myself and I put myself in that box for saying no to everything else that came on my plate. Saying no to the girlfriend, saying no to the girl that gets captured, no to this, no to that. and eventually I just got left with the strong chick that’s always being killed and there’s nothing wrong with that.”

http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2010/0...esponds-to-being-typecast-as-the-tough-chick/

2015:

"Because of this whole 'minorities in Hollywood' thing ... it's so stupid," said the 36-year-old actress, whose mother is from the Dominican Republic and father is Puerto Rican. "Stop stealing all the white people's superheroes. Make up your own."

Rodriguez was also asked about a reported Internet rumor that she may appear in Warner Bros.' new Green Lantern film, slated for a 2020 release, to which she replied: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

On Saturday, Rodriguez posted a video to Facebook explaining her remarks, apologizing "if [they] came off rude or stupid" and saying her quote about "stealing" was taken out of context.

In the video, she added: "It's not about taking Catwoman or Superman or Green Lantern ... and trying to make them fit to whatever cultural background you are. I just feel like it should be more creative than that, and I think that people need to stop being lazy."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-rodriguez-superhero-778430?facebook_20150228

I feel like bringing Gal back would be a stretch in logic even by F&F standards, which is saying a whole hell of a lot.

Plus she'd probably cost way more now than she did previously.

The same "death" happened to Shaw moments later in F6 and he was in F8 with a scar on his face. Bringing Gal's character back is not a stretch in this universe in the slightest.

Top Bottom