• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It may have more to do with her sharing certain views of Kotick and other execs.

Shocked Cat GIF

Wulfer

Yes because using 70% market share to make deals to content starve the competition is how its supposed to be done? If Sony has the best studios in the world whats the need to go on a money hat world tour? Yep to push Microsoft out of the sector. Sony could of bought zenimax but they thought it be better to money hat their games instead until Microsoft fought back.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Sorry but, that is why we had rumors of Sony approaching Bethesda for a purchase. They we're looking to push MS completely out by taking one of MS's key 3rd party developer partners. Sony had ABK and they only needed one more key 3rd Party developer close to MS to do it. Sony said they were moving in on a key developer market (that was outside their normal net) after MS's E3 reveals of 2018 to expand PS dominance. Turn's out the developer was Bethesda.

I think Dualshockers can explain it better for us.

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-h...before-microsoft-came-in-to-acquire-bethesda/

"Apparently, Sony has been investing heavily in exclusivity deals with third-party developers to launch their next-gen titles on PS5 first. The company has already reached an agreement with Bethesda on making Ghostwire: Tokyo and Deathloop PS5 timed-exclusives, which will be honored, according to Phil Spencer."

"" Their next-gen titles on PS5 first."" All Bethesda titles almost went Sony first or exclusive it's not a reach at all.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I guess Sony will just do CES next week. And MS will hopefully announce a kick ass show sometime soon.
Who knows how these companies are going to announce their new shit.

But I think people expect 2023 to be the year when "Next-Gen" star feels like a real thing.

and I wonder if these companies will have the need or confidence to make a "proper" showcase.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If MS can't make this purchase, I'd assume they just switch to buying exclusivity as it's basically the same thing they would get in a purchase. That much cash buys a lot of "exclusive".
It depends. Other divisions in MS could look to use that money for other things. If you are correct, I'd hope they also actually invest in their studios and promote the competent staff in the performing studios to positions of power overall, such as Playground and the Coalition. Buying and creating studios can be done by any simpleton with an unlimited warchest, the difficult job is the management of these studios.

I would like to congratulate Lulu on her obvious token hire. It doesn't appear she was hired on basic competency skills.

Calls her a token hire because she's, I guess, not a white woman and disagrees with you? I would bet she's plenty qualified for the position she has. I've seen at least one other comment a few days ago before this where her physical attractiveness was a subject simply because someone agreed with her.

feynoob

Gold Member
It depends. Other divisions in MS could look to use that money for other things. If you are correct, I'd hope they also actually invest in their studios and promote the competent staff in the performing studios to positions of power overall, such as Playground and the Coalition. Buying and creating studios can be done by any simpleton with an unlimited warchest, the difficult job is the management of these studios.
The management issues can be fixed in these upcoming years, considering the brand is in good shape, compared to xbox one.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Calls her a token hire because she's, I guess, not a white woman and disagrees with you? I would bet she's plenty qualified for the position she has. I've seen at least one other comment a few days ago before this where her physical attractiveness was a subject simply because someone agreed with her.
She's a token hire when she is recently hired and the only Activision person being proactive on Twitter toeing the Kotick line to the Nth degree. Threatening staff looking to unionise when MS have no issue, why is she doing this? Doing Kotick's dirty work. At least she knows why she's hired.

I give zero shits about her looks but if it looks and quacks like a stooge, it's a stooge

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Why not actually be proactive and stop the rot before it infects the more recent studios.
Because current management is the result of Xbox one fiasco.
They didn't have a leader that can lead them, and the responsibility fall down to Phil spencer who wasn't equipped to lead people at that time.

Right now, business is big and in good shape. Management shuffle should happen soon, as these people are close to retirement. MS would be wise to bring fresh faces.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
They didn't have a leader that can lead them, and the responsibility fall down to Phil spencer who wasn't equipped to lead people at that time.

Right now, business is big and in good shape. Management shuffle should happen soon, as these people are close to retirement. MS would be wise to bring fresh faces.
When did the Xbox One fiasco (as you call it) end?
When did Phil Spencer take over?
How many more years do you think does Phil need to fix the studios?

feynoob

Gold Member
When did the Xbox One fiasco (as you call it) end?
When did Phil Spencer take over?

How many more years do you think does Phil need to fix the studios?
He started that process during 2018 up to 2020 when he bought bethesda.
All that is left is those studios to show their work. Especially those studios who had game releases during their purchase.
2023-2024 is the time frame for those studios to show their work.

Wulfer

Phil probably doesn't want to leave until he see's real success or he's pushed out. This is my guess as he appears to be in for the long haul. Jack Tretton didn't leave until he got to the highest point Sony could reach for the PS4. He was there since 1995.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Sony's best bet is to spin off the gaming division, sell it to Amazon or Apple or something of that size. it's clear they can't compete with MS resources, and Phil was right when he said Microsoft's true competitors are Google and Amazon. Real behemoths, not niche competitors like Sony that have to run to the courts because they're too small to compete. Sony Gaming division is really just a collection of studios, essentially a development holding company, that also happens to make ugly hardware with a bad UI.

feynoob

Gold Member
Sony's best bet is to spin off the gaming division, sell it to Amazon or Apple or something of that size. it's clear they can't compete with MS resources, and Phil was right when he said Microsoft's true competitors are Google and Amazon. Real behemoths, not niche competitors like Sony that have to run to the courts because they're too small to compete. Sony Gaming division is really just a collection of studios, essentially a development holding company, that also happens to make ugly hardware with a bad UI.
excuse me what GIF

tmlDan

you're asking to be banned huh lol

If MS can't make this purchase, I'd assume they just switch to buying exclusivity as it's basically the same thing they would get in a purchase. That much cash buys a lot of "exclusive".

Buying exclusives doesn't get you permanent exclusive rights to the usage, control, and creative direction, as well as the workload of all the game studios. It doesn't get you all the technology and manpower and IP at their disposal. It also doesn't get you focused attention on your own APIs, brand, technology, or hardware. It also surely doesn't get you control of any and all agreements they can ever enter into going forward. Microsoft could get any among the various studios to help with development of new IPs, IPs it already owns, or to help with the development of other Xbox first party games under either Bethesda or Xbox Game Studios. The sky is the limit.

It also doesn't get you anywhere close to what ownership would get Microsoft for Game Pass and their cloud streaming service through Game Pass. There's a massive difference between ownership and no ownership. Let's also not forget the shit load of money that would be coming in from Activision Blizzard as well as King to help fund all of Microsoft's gaming operations. You can't get that from buying exclusives.

Plus imagine, all future COD yearly releases day one on Game Pass where they will remain forever. And don't forget all past releases as well as games in Activision Blizzard's past catalog within their technical and legal ability to get onto Game Pass.

She's a token hire when she is recently hired and the only Activision person being proactive on Twitter toeing the Kotick line to the Nth degree. Threatening staff looking to unionise when MS have no issue, why is she doing this? Doing Kotick's dirty work. At least she knows why she's hired.

I give zero shits about her looks but if it looks and quacks like a stooge, it's a stooge

Is it really the Kotick line? Or is it the Activision Blizzard line. All of Activision Blizzard wants the deal approved, not just her. She's doing her job. Did you expect her to do anything else?

You have proof she has threatened the staff? Or are you just going off of the fact that she is allowed to inform employees of potential reasons why they might not want to unionize? I'm pro-union, but I don't see where she has threatened anybody at Activision Blizzard. But let's go with that. Let's assume she has done exactly that. If she has and is somehow being allowed to do so, that's yet more reason for why the deal should go through so Microsoft can get in there and stop that kind of behavior dead in its tracks. These things only reinforce the good in the acquisition. As you said, MS has no issue with the unions and has agreed to remain neutral.

gothmog

Gold Member
Phil probably doesn't want to leave until he see's real success or he's pushed out. This is my guess as he appears to be in for the long haul. Jack Tretton didn't leave until he got to the highest point Sony could reach for the PS4. He was there since 1995.
Phil will most likely lose his job if the deal is blocked. Losing 3 billion dollars usually requires a scapegoat.

HoofHearted

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Buying exclusives doesn't get you permanent exclusive rights to the usage, control, and creative direction, as well as the workload of all the game studios. It doesn't get you all the technology and manpower and IP at their disposal. It also doesn't get you focused attention on your own APIs, brand, technology, or hardware. It also surely doesn't get you control of any and all agreements they can ever enter into going forward. Microsoft could get any among the various studios to help with development of new IPs, IPs it already owns, or to help with the development of other Xbox first party games under either Bethesda or Xbox Game Studios. The sky is the limit.

It also doesn't get you anywhere close to what ownership would get Microsoft for Game Pass and their cloud streaming service through Game Pass. There's a massive difference between ownership and no ownership. Let's also not forget the shit load of money that would be coming in from Activision Blizzard as well as King to help fund all of Microsoft's gaming operations. You can't get that from buying exclusives.

Plus imagine, all future COD yearly releases day one on Game Pass where they will remain forever. And don't forget all past releases as well as games in Activision Blizzard's past catalog within their technical and legal ability to get onto Game Pass.

Is it really the Kotick line? Or is it the Activision Blizzard line. All of Activision Blizzard wants the deal approved, not just her. She's doing her job. Did you expect her to do anything else?

You have proof she has threatened the staff? Or are you just going off of the fact that she is allowed to inform employees of potential reasons why they might not want to unionize? I'm pro-union, but I don't see where she has threatened anybody at Activision Blizzard. But let's go with that. Let's assume she has done exactly that. If she has and is somehow being allowed to do so, that's yet more reason for why the deal should go through so Microsoft can get in there and stop that kind of behavior dead in its tracks. These things only reinforce the good in the acquisition. As you said, MS has no issue with the unions and has agreed to remain neutral.
Didn’t see the scandal of her allegedly trying to stifle the union organizing, did ya?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

Is this:

a) a Joke.

b) wet dream

c) both?

drganon

Gold Member
49dj3c.gif

Topher

Gold Member

Stare Staring GIF
Horse Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Angry Natural World GIF by BBC Earth

Sorry but, that is why we had rumors of Sony approaching Bethesda for a purchase. They we're looking to push MS completely out by taking one of MS's key 3rd party developer partners. Sony had ABK and they only needed one more key 3rd Party developer close to MS to do it. Sony said they were moving in on a key developer market (that was outside their normal net) after MS's E3 reveals of 2018 to expand PS dominance. Turn's out the developer was Bethesda.

I think Dualshockers can explain it better for us.

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-h...before-microsoft-came-in-to-acquire-bethesda/

"Apparently, Sony has been investing heavily in exclusivity deals with third-party developers to launch their next-gen titles on PS5 first. The company has already reached an agreement with Bethesda on making Ghostwire: Tokyo and Deathloop PS5 timed-exclusives, which will be honored, according to Phil Spencer."

"" Their next-gen titles on PS5 first."" All Bethesda titles almost went Sony first or exclusive it's not a reach at all.

So we're buying unsubstantiated rumors? Like the rumors in 2020 that said Sony were buying up exclusivity to "tons of 3P games from every 3P publisher" and yet next year we have big games like RE4 Remake, Tekken 8, Street Fighter 6, Avatar etc. that are multiplat Day 1 releases? What happened to Sony buying up exclusivity to all those games?

Oh that's right it was never true. Probably like the "Sony buying Zenimax" rumor. Though they may've considered it if Zenimax approached them with an offer or opened things up for companies to bid on. So if Sony were thinking of doing the same thing Microsoft actually went through and did, how is that suddenly a negative towards Sony? They should've not put in a bid for Zenimax at all? They can't "compete" now?

Also nothing stopped Microsoft from securing Death Loop or Ghostwire Tokyo as timed Xbox exclusives. If Sony secured deals with Bethesda in response to MS buying developers, isn't that just competition?

Me on the day I win! :messenger_grinning_sweat: (Don't you dare counter by saying what happened to Zod in the end - let me get my bars off :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

kneel GIF

hysterical-laughter.gif

Me six months ahead having seen the results of the deal 😉

Well he's been equipped since 2017 and there isn't too much to show for it so :/

Right now, business is big and in good shape.

How?

jhjfss

Confused Halloween GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

feynoob

Gold Member
Well he's been equipped since 2017 and there isn't too much to show for it so :/
2014-2018 fixing the brand and making the right moves. Steering from Xbox one bad mistakes.

Post 2018 until now: studio acquisition and branching the brand. Expanding first party studios. Expanding gamepass, and getting Japanese devs to invest on the brand.

So far, he did his job. it's up to MS now to take care of their business.

If Activision deal gets approved, Xbox brand would have 3 major publishers, which is too much for current management.
Its why Phil is named as head of Microsoft gaming ceo.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
2014-2018 fixing the brand and making the right moves. Steering from Xbox one bad mistakes.
So all the mistakes were fixed back in 2018?
So far, he did his job. it's up to MS now to take care of their business.
ummm ... but Microsoft hired Phil and pays him to take care of their business? He is the CEO of Microsoft Gaming.

3liteDragon

nigga-what-what.gif

lefty1117

Gold Member
Now that MS is exposing all of Sony's exclusive lock/block activity & hypocrisy, this should eventually lead to MS being allowed to close the deal. And then what for Sony? As industries mature they consolidate. Sony can't keep up with MS cash reserves. That's why I say they're going to have to find a bigger funder. If I was Sony I'd sell off the gaming assets while you can still get a lot of money for it before it starts to atrophy. Then you can maxmize profits in other areas of the business with licensing and partnerships without being held back by restricting yourself to one platform, not to mention the operating costs of it all (ie greater profit by shedding some costs) - for example try to unseat Samsung as MS preferred gaming TV partner; licensing movie assets like Spiderman to multiple platforms instead of restricting yourself to one. Maybe a better idea is to shed the gaming hardware and just become a software publisher licensing to PC, xbox and Nintendo, if they're really dead set on staying on gaming.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how the various countries respond now that MS is exposing the lock/block activity from Sony. Already we have Chile come out today and approve the deal saying they see no threat to competition. Indeed acquiring studios is typical in the industry. Checkmate in just a few more moves, imo

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Now that MS is exposing all of Sony's exclusive lock/block activity & hypocrisy, this should eventually lead to MS being allowed to close the deal. And then what for Sony? As industries mature they consolidate. Sony can't keep up with MS cash reserves. That's why I say they're going to have to find a bigger funder. If I was Sony I'd sell off the gaming assets while you can still get a lot of money for it before it starts to atrophy. Then you can maxmize profits in other areas of the business with licensing and partnerships without being held back by restricting yourself to one platform, not to mention the operating costs of it all (ie greater profit by shedding some costs) - for example try to unseat Samsung as MS preferred gaming TV partner; licensing movie assets like Spiderman to multiple platforms instead of restricting yourself to one. Maybe a better idea is to shed the gaming hardware and just become a software publisher licensing to PC, xbox and Nintendo, if they're really dead set on staying on gaming.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how the various countries respond now that MS is exposing the lock/block activity from Sony. Already we have Chile come out today and approve the deal saying they see no threat to competition. Indeed acquiring studios is typical in the industry. Checkmate in just a few more moves, imo
So, it's not a joke then?

Topher

Gold Member

John Krasinski What GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom