• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

feynoob

well snow has gone and they converted the service across, wasn't long ago people on here were bragging about PS+ numbers being much higher than gamepass numbers now. so that not taken into account?
PS+ service is still a separate service from the premium ones.
It's like combining both Xbox live gold and gamepass normal+PC+ultimate. While gamepass ultimate is the highest tier.

Xcloud is also evolving at a rabid pace, considering they got Fortnite and will also able to get B2P model in the future(though that is a leak).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
All the Xbox fanboys in this thread think passive aggressive emojis on every post is clever. I think they coordinate in some special Discord server who's on emoji duty on any given day.

I'm surprised that MS was only willing to buy 11 politicians. They have enough money to buy them all if they felt like it.

When you make posts like this above then you're kinda asking for getting laughing emojis.

Also, ezekiel didn't die for nothing!

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
All the Xbox fanboys in this thread think passive aggressive emojis on every post is clever. I think they coordinate in some special Discord server who's on emoji duty on any given day.
Mate, you're just jealous that you are not part of the Discord. Its honeslty popping off in the server. Lulu Cheng just told us she is starting an OnlyFans (idk why tbh, this deal is going to make her $$$$$).

Warablo

Is Xcloud in significant more markets than PS now? Wonder if they will require parity on cloud release and if Sony would even like that.

feynoob

Is Xcloud in significant more markets than PS now? Wonder if they will require parity on cloud release and if Sony would even like that.
Yes. Xcloud covers a lot of countries due to MS data centers.
As for parity, it depends if Sony can afford those prices.

reksveks

Wouldn't MS advantage stem from the subscription service (gamepass+xcloud), since their rivals aside of Luna/Sony uses B2P integration?
The question for regulators isnt really whether they would be advantaged (they clearly would be), the questions are:
- is that advantage too big for anyone else to compete? Not sure we have that information

I think it's going to be all rather speculative and I know some think that benefits the deal being block but I don't think it does.

Varteras

Gold Member
The question for regulators isnt really whether they would be advantaged (they clearly would be), the questions are:
- is that advantage too big for anyone else to compete? Not sure we have that information

I think it's going to be all rather speculative and I know some think that benefits the deal being block but I don't think it does.

Yeah. While I personally would be more restrictive over something I wasn't sure of, regulators have to also be careful that, in restricting something, they don't do harm in the opposite direction. They also need to make a decision that would hold up in a court. The CMA may have greater authority than other regulatory bodies, but I believe they'd still want to make sure their decision is one that would hold up under scrutiny, and saying, "We don't really know but it's possible..." probably wouldn't fly.

Pelta88

So where do things stand? Has the CMA rubber stamped the deal and are now just following procedure, waiting to announce approval of the deal at a specific time/date.

Or am I missing something?

Varteras

Gold Member
So where do things stand? Has the CMA rubber stamped the deal and are now just following procedure, waiting to announce approval of the deal at a specific time/date.

Or am I missing something?

Still nothing. Awaiting any word on what they find with cloud gaming or any other changes in their findings.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PS+ service is still a separate service from the premium ones.
It's like combining both Xbox live gold and gamepass normal+PC+ultimate. While gamepass ultimate is the highest tier.

Xcloud is also evolving at a rabid pace, considering they got Fortnite and will also able to get B2P model in the future(though that is a leak).

Yeah but you know and I know that people been touting numbers since ps+ and PSnow have merged. So it is bigger

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah but you know and I know that people been touting numbers since ps+ and PSnow have merged. So it is bigger

Touting what numbers? PS+ has stayed relatively flat the last couple of years.

02-02sony2.jpg

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Wouldn't MS advantage stem from the subscription service (gamepass+xcloud), since their rivals aside of Luna/Sony uses B2P integration?

No because the B2P providers have a lot more options for content. They will get all the Microsoft first party plus can put another content on thier services. Microsoft has their first party and those who do the cloud conversion on gamepass. They can also pay for exclusive content that Microsoft would never have access to. That's a huge advantage they can have exclusives Microsoft can't.

reksveks

Yeah. While I personally would be more restrictive over something I wasn't sure of, regulators have to also be careful that, in restricting something, they don't do harm in the opposite direction. They also need to make a decision that would hold up in a court. The CMA may have greater authority than other regulatory bodies, but I believe they'd still want to make sure their decision is one that would hold up under scrutiny, and saying, "We don't really know but it's possible..." probably wouldn't fly.
Yeah, I agree that's the going to be thought process.

DaGwaphics

No because the B2P providers have a lot more options for content. They will get all the Microsoft first party plus can put another content on thier services. Microsoft has their first party and those who do the cloud conversion on gamepass. They can also pay for exclusive content that Microsoft would never have access to. That's a huge advantage they can have exclusives Microsoft can't.

Just because MS would do an open license on CoD and maybe other titles pertaining to this deal doesn't mean that they could never have exclusive content on their cloud platform. They just wouldn't have CoD as exclusive on there.

But, I agree that they can basically kill the idea that this transaction gives them an advantage in cloud gaming just by ensuring that CoD would be an available option to all current and future cloud providers.

It is possible to interact with fans AND make games. It's not like Phil Spencer taking time to do an interview or talk to fans means a programmer somewhere stops working. It's not a binary choice. Besides most of the games MS releases rate well. It's largely non-customers complaining about 'no games'.
When Yoshida was in charge and interacting with fans and influencers, they had no such complaint. But Jim Ryan doesn't, so obviously that should be the standard...

Half of that list would be xbox games without MS buying bethesda anyway ... so ... you should think about that ... counting bethesda games that would always launch on your system as a victory for phil and co. is ridiculous... might as well throw COD in there already

Xbox division management of their studios is so fucked up that they had to buy bethesda just so they can have what to show as "exclusives" for this and next year... .. is really pathetic coming from a company 20 years in this business ... and now they have the green card to buy hole publishers .... welp... that can only end well im sure
lol you sound completely ridiculous. They are doing what Sony has since Day 1, buying devs who can produce content.

LOL at the idea that they bought Bethesda to release a game in 2023. Nevermind that BSG has released two highly rated games in 6 months (Pentiment and Hi Fi Rush), and has one of the biggest games of the year on the way. Then Xbox also has Motorsport 8, Redfall, and MC:Legends releasing.

But yeah, no games, no exclusives.

feynoob

lol you sound completely ridiculous. They are doing what Sony has since Day 1, buying devs who can produce content.

LOL at the idea that they bought Bethesda to release a game in 2023. Nevermind that BSG has released two highly rated games in 6 months (Pentiment and Hi Fi Rush), and has one of the biggest games of the year on the way. Then Xbox also has Motorsport 8, Redfall, and MC:Legends releasing.

FYI, Xbox doesn't have AAA game for 1 and half year.

While pentiment and hi-fi rush are good game, they are still small indie/as game.

Xbox needs to have a big AAA to satisfy gamers.

Foilz

Banned
Xbox can release a 95 score exclusive every month and a large percentage of the general console buying public will still buy a PS5 due to the brand. playstation is just the "better" brand. I don't think it's the better console or complete console but it is a much better brand and most people put their money toward brands not corporations

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Xbox can release a 95 score exclusive every month and a large percentage of the general console buying public will still buy a PS5 due to the brand. playstation is just the "better" brand. I don't think it's the better console or complete console but it is a much better brand and most people put their money toward brands not corporations
and how it got to be a strong brand?

Foilz

Banned
and how it got to be a strong bran
Because the PS1 was such a cool step forward compared to what was out at the time and they did everything right. They became the new Nintendo at that time. Even during the shitty PS3 period with all the negatives surrounding that console it still outsold the Xbox which had its own major issue.

Playstation markets itself much better than Xbox does. They buy the rights for marketing to tons of games so you automatically believe the game is just for PS. It's great marketing

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Because the PS1 was such a cool step forward compared to what was out at the time and they did everything right. They became the new Nintendo at that time. Even during the shitty PS3 period with all the negatives surrounding that console it still outsold the Xbox which had its own major issue.
why?

Foilz

Banned
Releasing 4-6 exclusives a year if even doesn't make the console. Buying up the 3rd party rights or times exclusives to games is what is making the console. Yes Sony makes great 1st party games but their deals with everyone else is a driving factor in it's success. So y and MS can't rely on 1st party, they need 3rd and 2nd party resources to survive. Nintendo has black magic that allows it to do its own thing in its own universe and they thrive

GHG

facts are a sales pitch now? Lol ok

When you start listing games or features in response to someone it's a sales pitch.

Everyone here (and most of the gaming populous) is already well aware of everything you stated, yet the opinions still stand. Nothing you say can or will change it because those opinions are already formed in light of those "facts" you decided to waste your time listing. So tough luck I guess.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Releasing 4-6 exclusives a year if even doesn't make the console. Buying up the 3rd party rights or times exclusives to games is what is making the console. Yes Sony makes great 1st party games but their deals with everyone else is a driving factor in it's success. So y and MS can't rely on 1st party, they need 3rd and 2nd party resources to survive. Nintendo has black magic that allows it to do its own thing in its own universe and they thrive

Xbox can release a 95 score exclusive every month

nah. moving the goal post. If xbox releases 95 score exclusive every month it will definitely have a positive impact on Xbox's perception as a brand, which, in turn, will reflect in better sales for them. Don't be a fanboy.

Topher

Gold Member

Still feeling "disgusting" defending Xbox?

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just because MS would do an open license on CoD and maybe other titles pertaining to this deal doesn't mean that they could never have exclusive content on their cloud platform. They just wouldn't have CoD as exclusive on there.

But, I agree that they can basically kill the idea that this transaction gives them an advantage in cloud gaming just by ensuring that CoD would be an available option to all current and future cloud providers.
The deal is for all Microsoft first party games not COD only.

"That’s because this deal isn’t just for Halo or Forza Motorsport, he tells me; it also covers the Bethesda games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. Minecraft is coming to GeForce Now, he confirms. And if the Activision Blizzard deal goes through, it won’t just be Call of Duty on GeForce Now; it’ll be the entire Battle.net catalog — including Overwatch and presumably StarCraft, Warcraft, and Diablo."

Bernardougf

Gold Member

The copium is strong in this one ... keep the dream alive baby .. phil will deliver .... dont produce, buy and deliver style...

Anyway no time for crazy fanatics delusional fanboys.. or paid shills ... bye bye

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Pentiment is not even by Bethesda 😄🤣

quest

Not Banned from OT
The copium is strong in this one ... keep the dream alive baby .. phil will deliver .... dont produce, buy and deliver style...

Anyway no time for crazy fanatics delusional fanboys.. or paid shills ... bye bye
I would say if the plan of releases works out i say 2023 be a good year. Hifi rush, redfall, fm8 and minecraft plus minecraft dungeon day 1 on gamepass is damn good. Thats 5 games but im sure the goalposts will shift.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I would say if the plan of releases works out i say 2023 be a good year. Hifi rush, redfall, fm8 and minecraft plus minecraft dungeon day 1 on gamepass is damn good. Thats 5 games but im sure the goalposts will shift.
+ Starfield.

And this will be a good year -- depending on the quality of the three big games: Redfall, Starfield, and Forza.

But it's also worth mentioning that all 3 of these big games were to be released in 2022. Those games were delayed and pushed into 2023. There will be questions regarding where the games are that would have released in 2023 if Redfall, Starfield, and Forza weren't delayed.

feynoob

+ Starfield.

And this will be a good year -- depending on the quality of the three big games: Redfall, Starfield, and Forza.

But it's also worth mentioning that all 3 of these big games were to be released in 2022. Those games were delayed and pushed into 2023. There will be questions regarding where the games are that would have released in 2023 if Redfall, Starfield, and Forza weren't delayed.
2023 would be hell blade 2 and avowed, unless they delay those games too.

Kvally

Banned
+ Starfield.

^this is true. I also wondered what 2022 would have been like if Sony hadn't delayed God of War, GT7 and HFW from 2021 to 2022. Sometimes I think delays are for legit quality control concerns. But I think other reasons include needing to move games so other time frames have games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom