• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

Topher

Gold Member
The UK just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the UK where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Is this a joke post?

I get it now

Last edited:
So PlayStation owners can play future Activision games? Must be awful news for Xbox fanboys.
The funny part is that was always gonna be the case. Players just would've had the option to play them for a fraction of the price with game pass. People jump through some crazy mental hoops to make that sound like a bad thing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In other news Tencent to snap up 40% of ABK under the radar...

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Jokes aside, this genuinely shocked me. I never thought the CMA were going to block the deal; I thought they'd ask for yet stricter remedies even after the weak 10-year offers MS's been giving, but otherwise would approve. This just throws everything into chaos now.

The deal is dead. I don't even see the EC approving and we know where the FTC stands on it. Wow.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The funny part is that was always gonna be the case. Players just would've had the option to play them for a fraction of the price with game pass. People jump through some crazy mental hoops to make that sound like a bad thing.

Says who? Microsoft? Nobody trusting such a shit company unless they put it in legally binding contracts.

If they are serious about games everywhere then drop your console, drop your service and become a third party who provides the infrastructure to others.

MS’s words don’t match their actions.

Last edited:

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
The only game I am interested in is Diablo 4, other than that, Activision does not bring anything for me as a gamer, so:

Futurama Whatever GIF
Whether you like all Activision blizzard games or none at all, do you not see the bigger picture in this, are you that narrow minded that you only think how it may affect you on a very small scale, right now, not even considering the implications it would have on gaming as a whole down the line, which would ultimately affect you?

Topher

Gold Member
This will just go to the courts

I posted this in the OT:

This is interesting.....

"When appealing the CMA’s substantive decision in a merger case, a judicial review standard applies, meaning the applicant must show that the CMA acted irrationally, illegally or with procedural impropriety. The CAT will not engage with the merits of the CMA’s decision or conduct a wholesale review of the parties’ evidence. In practice this means that applicants face a high threshold when seeking to overturn a merger decision, which is reflected in the statistics: the CMA has won 67% of all merger appeals since 2010."

Gamezone

Gold Member
I mean Xbox is still getting Activision Blizzard games just like PlayStation. It’s a win-win situation for everyone.

But Xbox fanboys just wanted to use this deal for console war ammo…
Win win my ass. No day one on Gamepass, probably no xCloud, no Steam, no GeForce Now, no Switch.

Last edited:
Ubisoft? Capcom? But nothing is as attractive for gamepass portfolio as Activision with its yearly COD releases.

I doubt either. It's not like other companies weren't watching this ABK deal process go through. They're going to take an acquisition offer from Microsoft as a large risk; if the deal is blocked (and there are reasons MS acquiring either Ubisoft or Capcom could still be blocked, BTW), then those companies take a massive hit in their share prices, and they don't have the valuation to tank hits the way ABK does.

There's also a reputation component to consider; would they want to risk being used in a war of aggression on critics to their deal, including partners like Sony & Nintendo, risking stability in those business relationships?

People think it's really as simple as MS having the money and getting what they want. Today clearly shows that isn't the case.

These are not the same thing. Your thinking is basically, "Big Tech #1 won appeal, Big Tech #2 will win appeal too!". You aren't even considering these are entirely different matters at hand; Apple's case didn't involve a M&A.

Last edited:
Damn, I honestly thought this was going thru.

Interesting that it boiled down to Microsoft's position in Cloud that was the road block and not console gaming. The CMA's public statements were pretty eye opening, as to what they had fears over... it wasn't the console space, it was the mobile/cloud gaming space.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here is what Microsoft needs to do now:

-Release games from their 24 existing studios on a timely basis.
-Make sure they are ambitious, different, innovative so they stand out alongside a sea of GaaS trash and open world nonsense from the rest of the industry.
-Market your games better. Have multiple showcases a year and focus on long gameplay demos instead of sizzle reals. We have no idea what’s coming after this year.
- Ensure games release on time and complete. Use the other studios to help ship games without missing features like the 60 fps mode. Manage projects better to ensure games like starfield and halo come out on time. 24 fucking studios should be able to help each other out.
- buy pc porting studios to free up devs from having to ship multiplatform games. First party should not be doing multiplat development. Sony's approach of contracting smaller studios is the right one. The one time they didnt (a la TLOU Part 1) it blew up in their face.
- 24 Studios is more than enough. Even if games take 6 years to make, thats 4 AAA games per year. You cannot go 2 games in 3 years like they did between 2020-2022.
- Invest in the loyal fanbase who buy your console gen after gen instead of chasing whales who couldnt care less. Kinect didnt work. Tv tv didnt work. And now billions of people on the cloud? Come on. Just dance with the one who brought you.

Overall, I think MS needs to change their mentality. These shortcuts to success are never going to make Xbox the brand they want to be. Even if this had killed sony, People wouldve reluctantly buy their products until someone better comes along and then its back to square one for Microsoft. Make better products. Stuff like Starfield, God of War, Elden Ring, Hogwarts, and RE4. Give people a reason to buy your console instead of forcing them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom