• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

Gudji

giphy.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft could spend 5b to have CoD on gamepass, no need to spend 70b to remove games from platforms.

It shows you it's not about gamepass at all.
Yes they should lose 5 billion a year to protect Sony brilliance! Its funny mention day 1 games on ps plus premium its sony would lose money. Microsoft well they should lose money to compete on Sony’s terms.

Im still waiting on that list of games playstation would lose over the next 5 years from this.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

So... whats too big for Microsoft to acquire now?

Is Take 2 too big?
Can they acquire anyone..?

It feels like this "Cloud gaming" argument just rules out everything.
Cdpr, metro exodus guys, niantic (if they are really serious about mobile gaming)?

But publishers with big multiplayer games like ea and take 2 are no go imo.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
So from Brad Sams...apparently the deal isn't done, but it's in a bad spot. He states that Microsoft won't be able to get the deal to go through by June 30th, which means they will have to pay ABK $3 billion unless they renegotiate the deal.

My thing is this? After being blocked by the CMA, ABK is gonna be hurting at least in their stock, so essentially they have to decide whether to bet on the same horse again.

My question, does MSFT have an opportunity to address the regulatory concerns the CMA has in order to get the deal to go through?

At this point, the acquisition is blocked. Microsoft had its chance to engage in remedies that would satisfy the CMA before the CMA made its decision. This was their decision. Microsoft can no longer renegotiate unless, upon appeal, the CAT states that the CMA handled something improperly. Then the case goes back to the CMA, and Microsoft will have another chance to provide potential remedies.

Brad is correct, but only in that there is the smallest of chances that the CAT could side with Microsoft, and that upon re-reviewing the case the CMA could change their mind. It's not likely for either of those things to occur, let alone both.

As far as the stock goes, ATVI is already in the dumpster (to quote Pineapple Express). The only hope for their stock is to have the acquisition be approved upon appeal. ATVI stock is overpriced right now. Whether the acquisition fails, or whether Activision backs out and pays the ~$2.2 billion termination fee, their stock is still going to take a hit. The only hope for them to mitigate that is by the acquisition going through.

dem

It's all laugh and jokes until Phil decides going after Capcom

Can't trust no Japanese business...

They'll do Phil like PRIDE did the UFC.

They'll sell Capcom to Microsoft and Phil will be left holding a bunch of old Megaman cartridges.

GHG

Because I have gamepass and I like content for cheap?

Don't bring me into your fruity console war

What is cheap today is not guaranteed to be cheap forever.

Considering you seem to be in a state of disbelief about this I'll refrain from addressing your second comment. You'll get over it.

Edit:

Can't trust no Japanese business...

Oh.

Oh...

Last edited:

Unknown?

Yes they should lose 5 billion a year to protect Sony brilliance! Its funny mention day 1 games on ps plus premium its sony would lose money. Microsoft well they should lose money to compete on Sony’s turf.
Sony has to pay for the content on their services, what's your point? Sony could pay to have GTA6 on PS Plus if they wanted to, they don't have to steal it from another platform to do that.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Great that mean sony will stop going after money hats of large studio games? They should just make their own games right?

Think you should bump up that copium dose to balance the sodium levels, and don’t forget a hit of hopium to get you back up my brother, don’t want you crashing down on us

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

There is a meme here... Old man yells at cloud... CMA yells at cloud? I'm sure someone more clever than me will come up with something.

Last edited:

dem

Why does it has to be a publisher?

To be honest... I don't even know what a game publisher does?

Market the game? Distribute the game? Manage the studio?

I don't understand why that's important to the acquisition at all.

Last edited:

DrFigs

No bro, if this fails completly he and bobby are gone.

No corp. would hold on to presidents that cause this big of a fuck up.
Bobby's killing it right now. And if the deal fails, ABK still gets 3 billion. And literally no one cares about the sexual harassment stuff anymore.

Fabieter

Because it's the only snowball's chance in hell they have to turn things around quickly instead of actually putting in the time and effort.

They already have one publisher and so far it changed nothing. They need a better leadership invest in new and upcoming aa/aaa studio's like sony and Nintendo is doing and it's better for consumers.

It's rather ironic that they got flagged on Cloud gaming. I mean, they were on the record like every other minute talking about how Sony/Nintendo wasn't even considered competitors. I think it was Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. that Microsoft considered to be their near peer adversaries. This sale ain't happening, they might as well give Activision that break-up money (1-3 billion, can't remember) and call it a day. Focus on the dang studios you do have, whip them into shape. Heck, take that 69 Billion and give RedFall a 60FPS mode at launch.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
At this point, the acquisition is blocked. Microsoft had its chance to engage in remedies that would satisfy the CMA before the CMA made its decision. This was their decision. Microsoft can no longer renegotiate unless, upon appeal, the CAT states that the CMA handled something improperly. Then the case goes back to the CMA, and Microsoft will have another chance to provide potential remedies.

Brad is correct, but only in that there is the smallest of chances that the CAT could side with Microsoft, and that upon re-reviewing the case the CMA could change their mind. It's not likely for either of those things to occur, let alone both.

As far as the stock goes, ATVI is already in the dumpster (to quote Pineapple Express). The only hope for their stock is to have the acquisition be approved upon appeal. ATVI stock is overpriced right now. Whether the acquisition fails, or whether Activision backs out and pays the ~$2.2 billion termination fee, their stock is still going to take a hit. The only hope for them to mitigate that is by the acquisition going through.
I see. Appreciate the level headed explanation. Thread is chock full of warriors giving their biased answers. I'm just trying to understand what's going on.

Oh well, on to the next one I guess. Do you think MSFT will chill for a sec and just work on the current teams they have? I said back when they bought the first gaggle of studios that they need to chill and actually manage those first. Then they came with Bethesda and I thought it was a bad idea, because they never managed this many studios and they've already shown that they haven't trouble managing what they already had.

Then comes Activision and I just throw my hands up at this point, like maybe they know more than me. I dunno, common sense and a pauper's wallet maybe let me have a better sense of reality.

Xbox needs to chill out...fix their internal issues and get back to focusing on the games and just putting out a great product. All the games that were decent were in development prior to their acquisition or were primarily for Xbox to begin with.

Fabieter

To be honest... I don't even know what a game publisher does?

Market the game? Distribute the game? Manage the studio?

I don't understand why that's important to the acquisition at all.

They own a ton of tech and ips which is basically a shortcut to mot actually need to take risks. Ms should totally go for more studios but stop going for pubs. No Ea,t2, ubi, capcom, square etc.

dem

Remember when Microsoft tried DOUBLING the price of Xbox Live? I do.

What makes it noteworthy is that they tried that getting away with that shit while sitting in LAST place. You ain't getting cheap content if Microsoft is a market leader.

Yeah.. i dunno what to tell you. I like a game subscription service. I don't like buying games for me to play them 10 minutes and realize they suck.

Shrugs GIF

Top Bottom