• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

Spitfire098

Question: Did anyone agree with the reasons CMA provided for blocking it? I recognise my own bias so was wondering if I find their arguement laughable because I wanted it to go through.
Patrick Warburton Yes GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Roufianos

Pathetic rationale, cloud gaming hasn't even proven to be a viable market, and should MS really suffer for being the one who's invested most in it.

Not sure I trust MS with the studios they have, let alone Activision, but still a dumb rationalisation.

Reactions: dem

Saber

I think I had enough fun poking Microsoft.

They should move on and focus on what’s next for them. Surely, they have a plan B if ever the deal doesn’t fall through. I hope they didn’t put all their eggs on the ABK basket.

Agree. Like people are tired of saying, just use that money and invest on their own game studios. I would also add to them to stop shitposting on twitter, they waste too much time opening their mouths on twitter.

MarkMe2525

The CMA literally said they don't think they would be able to port COD at a "similar level of quality compared to the offering on PS5 and Xbox" to Nintendo. They are fully aware they can make a shitty port and throw it on the switch lol.
Weird scenario where one company is legally penalized for another companies product lacking certain functionality.
The cloud can do a lot of things, at one point it was rumor to add a second GPU in a console.
You seem to be confused, the second GPU was in the power brick. 😂

Last edited:

sainraja

...Another reason was because of the internet and Twitter drama, the memes and everything would just be legendary.
That is such an odd reason for wanting anything to happen. Most people understood the deal would go through, the surprising turn is the one we are now aware of... the chaos you wanted to see is still happening, but why care about that at all?

Last edited:

demigod

You need to do more research. Other regulators are under ZERO obligation to comply with the UK. That is probably why you used the work "emboldens" rather than "obligates". Seems you are saying MS "wouldn't" or "shouldn't" just ditch the UK but that's your opinion. The fact is there I nothing legally stopping MS from choosing to leave the UK out in the cold and in fact, many insiders have said that this is the most likely course if the UK stands alone in opposing the merger. If this all happens, the UK would eventually dick tuck and endorse the merger bc the ppl of UK will not be happy with having to miss out on everything MS offers, possibly even windows. I would start learning Linux now if I were you, chap.
Lol how old are you kiddo.

Zok310

Banned
This is what I am here for. Fuck those man babies!
Never celebrate until the game is over. These no exercising losers never played a competitive sport in their life.
Best part is the block have nothing to do with Sony, so they cant even be mad at Jim or “ponies”, instead they get to be mad at MS for having 60-70% share of cloud gaming.😂😂

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So part of the rationale is Nintendo not getting an equal version of COD on Switch? No kidding. Switch is much less powerful. So it's better to have no version on Switch (current Activision) than a Switch quality version. Who knew.

As for cloud, it's a great option since MS is really the only game maker that has really tried gunning for it so people dont have to buy new hardware. That should be a consumer benefit not a detriment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Never celebrate until the game is over. These no exercising losers never played a competitive sport in their life.
Best part is the block have nothing to do with Sony, so they cant even be mad at Jim or “ponies”, instead they get to be mad at MS for having 60-70% share of cloud gaming.😂😂
Power of the Cloud™

Who knew this would all come back to bite them in the arse?

Unknown?

So part of the rationale is Nintendo not getting an equal version of COD on Switch? No kidding. Switch is much less powerful. So it's better to have no version on Switch (current Activision) than a Switch quality version. Who knew.

As for cloud, it's a great option since MS is really the only game maker that has really tried gunning for it so people dont have to buy new hardware. That should be a consumer benefit not a detriment.
This deal not going through doesn't mean there can't be a switch quality version though. Microsoft tried using that argument to get it passed but it wasn't a good argument. That wasn't what ultimately tanked it though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

MS made the parity promise, the CMA called it bullshit. That is all.

The real issue was cloud.

Belthazar

You need to do more research. Other regulators are under ZERO obligation to comply with the UK. That is probably why you used the work "emboldens" rather than "obligates". Seems you are saying MS "wouldn't" or "shouldn't" just ditch the UK but that's your opinion. The fact is there I nothing legally stopping MS from choosing to leave the UK out in the cold and in fact, many insiders have said that this is the most likely course if the UK stands alone in opposing the merger. If this all happens, the UK would eventually dick tuck and endorse the merger bc the ppl of UK will not be happy with having to miss out on everything MS offers, possibly even windows. I would start learning Linux now if I were you, chap.

I'm sorry... But do you really believe Microsoft will stop operations in one of the world's biggest markets for Activision? Is this the level of delusion we're at?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well that fucking sucks...

Question: Did anyone agree with the reasons CMA provided for blocking it? I recognise my own bias so was wondering if I find their arguement laughable because I wanted it to go through.

Well Microsoft believes the cloud is the future of the industry, and the pathway to mass adoption. They believe in it so much Phil has publicly said Sony and Nintendo are out of position and that Google and Amazon are the real competition, and they are MS’s competitors in the cloud space. If can choose to believe that MS stock problems are due to series X chips being diverted to Xcloud, which would mean its really high on their list of priorities.

So if it’s true and Cloud is the future and has the potential to really reach hundreds of millions of people because suddenly you no longer need to buy a pc or a console, then the CMA’s argument about the silverback gorilla who is a Cloud powerhouse, has a huge gaming division already, and is investing hard on cloud gaming… is probably correct if the point is to preserve competition and innovation.

Eotheod

Ah yes, the technology that literally no one uses and half the world still needs to catch up on infrastructure-wise to support. The billion pound theoretical market is hilarious too, considering the biggest server provider, Google, came and went in the cloud market with a wet fart.

There's a time for appropriate clamping of anti-competitive behaviours in markets, and there is a time for common sense that is appropriate to the relevant markets. This just screams old people not knowing gaming listening to the ones not wanting it because they currently have the majority lead and favouring said leader. People pretending that this decision will force MS to be more competitive and fight against Sony through Sony's tactics are ignorant of the landscape right now.

You have the world leader in gaming getting massive gains because they are the leader, with concession in place due to popularity and ease of sales. How are you suppose to compete with that outside of first party games that now take longer to develop and cost more, all with the potential of your game not hitting big when it does come out? Heck, how are you suppose to compete third party wise when the other contender gets cheaper deals?

It'd be great if they even just put 2 billion into Elder Scrolls so they could get that out ASAP.
That's not how game development works. You don't just throw money at something to make it develop faster. That theory has been flawed ever since it was used as an excuse to console war.

Last edited:
It’s pathetic that he’s whining they’re back to square one, where can the worlds richest company go from here if they cannot buy another gigantic publisher with more of the most successful brands in gaming?

Instead of, you know, just making a go of it?
It's kind of a big story that he's been following for over a year now. It didn't seem like he was whining, either.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Ah yes, the technology that literally no one uses and half the world still needs to catch up on infrastructure-wise to support. The billion pound theoretical market is hilarious too, considering the biggest server provider, Google, came and went in the cloud market with a wet fart.

There's a time for appropriate clamping of anti-competitive behaviours in markets, and there is a time for common sense that is appropriate to the relevant markets. This just screams old people not knowing gaming listening to the ones not wanting it because they currently have the majority lead and favouring said leader. People pretending that this decision will force MS to be more competitive and fight against Sony through Sony's tactics are ignorant of the landscape right now.

You have the world leader in gaming getting massive gains because they are the leader, with concession in place due to popularity and ease of sales. How are you suppose to compete with that outside of first party games that now take longer to develop and cost more, all with the potential of your game not hitting big when it does come out? Heck, how are you suppose to compete third party wise when the other contender gets cheaper deals?

It’s funny because Microsoft thinks you’re wrong. Consoles are outdated and cloud is the future.

But lemme guess, you think they say that just to throw off the scent? But if they lied then… oops? If they told the truth then… oops?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Now you've got insider connections? A few hours ago you were ready to put all these threads on ignore.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
No my job is working with companies in gaming. When discussing at an event today a few people mentioned they think it will ultimately go through. I just said I wanted it to end.

Like, these people will no nothing. Who really knows what's going to happen.

I think MS should drop it and just go lock in some big third parties exclusive for a couple of years. Whatever it costs. Like a western studio similar to square with final fantasy.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
No my job is working with companies in gaming. When discussing at an event today a few people mentioned they think it will ultimately go through. I just said I wanted it to end.

Hey guess what, those people don’t know shit. It comes down to “MS is so big they always get what they want” sort of mentality.

Those same people said the deal would go through without any opposition. We are a long way from Kansas.

Love him or hate him, at least Jez is a realist, unlike many high-profile hacks with OPINION.
Is he?

Still hoping for that epic legendary win where the world’s richest company buys the fifth largest publisher for 70 billion.

It’s a real Goliath fellating Goliath story if it comes true. Golden parachutes for abusive executives, champagne, and free cod on game pass.

One for the ages. You’ll be telling your kids where you were when COD became free on gamepass because of Phil Spencer.

Last edited:
That is such an odd reason for wanting anything to happen. Most people understood the deal would go through, the surprising turn is the one we are now aware of... the chaos you wanted to see is still happening, but why care about that at all?
Because it's hilarious too see delusional fanboys rage and how it would change the outlook of everything. To me it's irrelevant who buys them. I work in the industry so it doesn't affect me in any shape or form. I work with publishers, so it's not affecting me as a consumer.

And it's fun to profit off with articles and inticing headlines.

Last edited:

Alex Scott

And that's different than sony going to every third party to remove games from xbox. Should we count the major studio games xbox and playstation lost in the last 5 years.
Yes, Why don't you name every game that PS took away from Xbox and vice versa.

Top Bottom