• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

Draugoth

Gold Member
Poll on REE made last night:

QLJIvJO.png

95% caught with their pants down :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I love how these people live in a bubble

quest

Not Banned from OT
What does any of this have to do with Sony getting away with their bullshit. Please explain me what bullshit you are talking about except for the attempts to block this deal for maybe valid reasons like other companies did as well?
Using their market share to content starve Microsoft with cheap money hats. Cma decided that no one can compete with Sony and its aggressive content starving. People can cry about Microsoft to but tomb raider was the last major studio money hat from Microsoft. Sony is looking at 4-5 this year alone. Can't compete when one side pays 5 times as much to keep content.

Using their market share to content starve Microsoft with cheap money hats. Cma decided that no one can compete with Sony and its aggressive content starving. People can cry about Microsoft to but tomb raider was the last major studio money hat from Microsoft. Sony is looking at 4-5 this year alone. Can't compete when one side pays 5 times as much to keep content.

Are you kidding me?

Sony as a company is a midget compared to Microsoft....

LOL

MistBreeze

Microsoft can do way more better than this

If they care about gaming they can make big blockbuster AAA games with this money

They can set a new standard in gaming and technology

Sony spent 200m $ in gow ragnarok alone

But who am I kidding, Microsoft does not care anymore

They want to buy the industry just to win by brute force

It is sad really

Superbean

Neo Member
Can I casually point to MS actually lowering quality of cloud gaming while using Linux vs Windows? Changing the browsers id to that of Windows fixed it instantly, took them months to fix it once it went main stream. So I won't doubt for one second they would offer inferior versions of games on other platforms.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How are Activision games not going to Gamepass a 'win' for people? Are you dense?
It's a win for Xbox and PC gamers.

However, it would be a huge loss for PS gamers, which makes up a large portion of the sales.

Call of Duty was the only title that was going to remain on PlayStation (according to Microsoft) but they were going to likely lose everything else.

Microsoft and PC gamers lose nothing other than a discounted price.

Its called business, has nothing to do with using their market share. Sony sometimes does some moneyhats to keep games exclusive on their platform for e.g. 6 months or a year. After that its freely available everywhere. That’s something completely different I’d say than buying up complete publishers with studios and then make everything exclusive for their own console, forever.

Also, can’t imagine MS not being able to compete with that content offering. They just wanted to buy Activision for 70 billion dollars. They have money a plenty but just invest it completely wrong. If MS wants to they can always offer more money than Sony on anything, the company sizes are nowhere near the same size and value on the markets.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Ah, so this is why people make their post history hidden.

Shame on you for attempting to gain marketshare in the future that is cloud gaming, Google & Amazon.

I'm sure you'll be on Sony's cloud based handheld the day it launches.
Feel free to continue to go through my post history. I've always clowned on cloud gaming no matter who promotes it. You'll recover from this.

Cma think cloud gaming is important or it will ever be lol, couldn’t ms not simply sate they no Longer want anything to do with cloud gaming, or are they as deluded as the cma🤣

FrankWza

Suddenly everyone worries about the cloud. When not a single person could careless about it 1 hour ago. I've got 1,000 mb's fiber internet which is 5x faster than the average US connection and I also do not have a data cap. Which a lot of people have. And when I stream a 4k video game at 60 fps when lots of things happen on the screen it pixalates. And I still have high latency and packet loss. Good luck with the cloud future. It's going to be an eternity before people will have internet connections worthy of seamless 4k 60/120 video game streaming. Imagine how strong the hardware is going to be by then. No chance that Internet gets better faster than hardware. Overall it's a dumb decision. I don't think cloud gaming is the future. Nobody wants to play a soft video that pixelates, has input delay, etc. When they can play natively.
You're looking at it as a short window. That's why Msoft attempted the 10 year extension. A decade is a drop in the bucket when all roads were going to be funneled into gamepass. Bad for competition indefinitely

The Alien

Banned
Hmmmm. Wonder what they gonna do with that $69B now. Probably gonna be less popular than ABK acquisition. Time will tell.

feynoob

Gold Member
Cma think cloud gaming is important or it will ever be lol, couldn’t ms not simply sate they no Longer want anything to do with cloud gaming, or are they as deluded as the cma🤣
Cloud gaming is important, in a sense that you can large pool of users who won't have have to buy the next Gen console. Because you can simply upgrade your cloud gaming relatively cheap.

Plus this entry is expensive and it's not cheap. So imagine MS with activitision and Bethesda content.

CMA is right on this case. MS will have advantage over others.

BeardGawd

Banned
The CMA basically already had their minds made up but were just looking for the best reason to use.

MS doesn't even offer a standalone Cloud gaming product which makes the decision even more ridiculous.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
You're looking at it as a short window. That's why Msoft attempted the 10 year extension. A decade is a drop in the bucket when all roads were going to be funneled into gamepass. Bad for competition indefinitely
Without a doubt I think they would have stripped the games from PlayStation after 10 years. But I'll say what I've said before. PlayStation has such strong mindshare that Microsoft could make every single Activision Blizzard game Xbox/PC only and they still wouldn't sell more consoles than them as it stands right now. So where's the path forward for Microsoft? If they spend another 2 years wasting resources on this losing acquisition and then 1 year or 2 years later decide to make new studios. How long til those new studios bare fruit and start releasing games? 2 console generations from now? Give me a break. Nobody is sticking around that long.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Next thing I hope to fail is all the takeovers from last years. Not because I would like to see people out of a job but because I enjoy to see Xbox struggle at this point.
Empty promises for years, big mouth, buying your way to the top and still fail.

Yes, I am a sad wanker and I enjoy it.

begotten

So I actually don't give a shit about this and only pretend to so I can stir people on here - but does this "Cloud Gaming" reason mean it's more to do with Google, NVIDIA and potentially Netflix & Apple soon in that space compared to Sony?

Top Bottom