• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft NL: too many defect Xbox Ones, no longer capacity to repair XB1, try abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

S¡mon

Banned
Original article is in Dutch. It states that Microsoft, in the Netherlands, will no longer repair any defect Xbox Ones. Why? Because their department for repairing Xbox Ones can no longer handle the amount of requests for repairs.

A notable detail: the Xbox One hasn't even launched yet in the Netherlands. Most units come from neighboring countries Germany or the United Kingdom. Also, some big retailers, like MediaMarkt, already sell imported Xbox Ones.

Translated snippets from the article:

Originally, you could simply import your Xbox One and defect units would be repaired by Microsoft Netherlands. Since recently, that's no longer possible.

After calling with Microsoft Netherlands, we were told that there were too many problems with the Xbox One. The repair department is too small to handle all those defects.

At this time, you'll need to send your Xbox One abroad to get a repair. Your warranty has not expired, but defect Xbox Ones will simply no longer be accepted for repair in the Netherlands.

Source: http://www.pu.nl/artikelen/nieuws/xbox-one-wordt-niet-meer-gerepareerd-in-nederland/ (one of the biggest gaming websites in the Netherlands)

Well since the Xbox hasn't even officially launched in the Netherlands I could imagine that they are not prepared to repair them

Truant

So basically, a tiny country that hasn't staffed up for a console release is charged with fixing busted XB1's from the rest of europe?

Failure rate to be above 55% confirmed.

I hope everyone with an Xbox One is ready for the inevitable failure. It's happening. This is it, the RRoD 2.0. You had a good run, Microsoft.

neshcom

Banned
Interesting, but the article doesn't go into how big the repair facility is (probably small since it isn't launched officially there) and what sort of defects they're swamped with.

So basically people who have imported an Xbox One into Netherlands are being told it can't be repaired...because it hasn't launched yet.

I don't see the problem.

And unless I've missed something, there hasn't been a large number of people with defective hardware.

Considering it hasn't officially launched there, I can understand why they're unprepared for the repair process.

Unfortunately that is the risk you take with importing prior to actual launch.

Kacho

I hope everyone with an Xbox One is ready for the inevitable failure. It's happening. This is it, the RRoD 2.0. You had a good run, Microsoft.

haha

I feel like we're missing some important details here.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I suspect any number > 0 is too many when the product isn't even released in your country. I wouldn't read too much into this other than either a) somebody who shouldn't be talking talking or b) translation problem.

My guess would be that it is a not-so-subtle attempt to discourage grey market sales. They just had the wrong person "leaking" it.

I thought that the Xbox One's hardware was designed to diminish possible hardware failures, thus the larger size and the added fans in every main piece of the console's hardware. If this situation becomes prominent enough I think Microsoft should shuffle their hardware division and hire or promote new people.

I feel sorry for the people who lost their ability to play their new games so soon.

notsureifserious.jpg

This is certainly not the way to get good press in the Netherlands. Too many fixes and the damn console hasn't launched yet! Even though it makes sense, most people won't give it more thought than their first reaction, which will be bad.

Estocolmo

I live in Sweden. Why has MS just stopped caring about is Tier2 countries? We dont even know when the Xbox One is going to be released here.

_hekk05

Banned
So basically people who have imported an Xbox One into Netherlands are being told it can't be repaired...because it hasn't launched yet.

I don't see the problem.

They say they can no longer handle the requests, which means that they, in fact, are equipped to repair said xbones, just not at the amount they are getting.

To be fair, if the console hasn't launched yet, they would only expect to handle a minimal amount of faulty imported consoles.

Tobor

I live in Sweden. Why has MS just stopped caring about is Tier2 countries? We dont even know when the Xbox One is going to be released here.

They're focused on stopping the bleeding in Tier 1 countries. They know they don't have a chance at significant marketshare in the Tier 2 countries.

They're focused on stopping the bleeding in Tier 1 countries. They know they don't have a chance at significant marketshare in the Tier 2 countries.

They might have stood more of a chance if they hadnt delayed the release of the console in all those extra countries. Stupid that they haven't confirmed a date already.

Poor Netherlands, Microsoft Croatia never wanted to have anything to do with Xbox so our local import retailers just exchange faulty units for new ones (although the one that I bought my Xbox One from claims that they didn't encounter any faulty units yet - which I suppose is not that surprising when you're selling consoles by the dozens, and not hundreds or thousands).

nampad

I am surprised that they even let you send in an import console to repair so thats quite consumer friendly.
Without even being launched there, I think it is not fair to approximate any failure rate from this. We would certainly have heard more of an uproar here if it would be high.

jelly

They are probably getting their ducks in order, sorting software/Kinect/app features and pricing so they don't release a gimped console that needs a price drop soon after.

Worldwide price drop, Tier 2 countries availability is my guess. A worldwide relaunch blitz with or without Kinect, announced late April, starts May 1st ;) E3 PR saved.

sinnergy

Xbox360 alsways go abroad..
NL Xboxes get repaired in Germany..

So it's not weird that faulty ones can't be handled in The Netherlands.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I am surprised that they even let you send in an import console to repair so thats quite consumer friendly.

I honestly believe if the same situation occurred with Sony right now, it would be posted as an acknowledgment of their superior love for the gamer that they're repairing imported consoles.

Estocolmo

At least they WOULD have a chance against PS4 in Tier 2 countries, now the PS4 has a 100% penetration in Tier 2 countries.

Doesn't make any sense MS.

S¡mon

Banned
Xbox360 alsways go abroad..
NL Xboxes get repaired in Germany..

So it's not weird that faulty ones can't be handled in The Netherlands.

Except... Microsoft Netherlands did accept them until this week. They even said people shouldn't worry because defect Xbox Ones would be repaired.

Now you actually have to go or send them to Germany (or the UK).

Bundy

Banned
Wow.....
Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Netherlands culture (I’m an expert), but honor and cheese are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Holland, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Netherland public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase these all-in-one systems, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft’s other products. This is HUGE! You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated all Tier 2 countries with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and extend the warranty to 3 years FOR FREE or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Cheech

"why would anyone live there"

Well, for starters, we can get our electronics fixed here.

I am genuinely curious as to why people in "tier 2 countries" would even consider an Xbone. I live in their "tier 1++++" market, and can't even justify it.

Is it Kinect? Are mass groups of your buddies all converting at the same time? Is the PS4 actually more expensive in your country?

I have a PS4, have spent seat time on an Xbone, and the former is simply the better console right now. They still have a lot of bugs to work out on the Xbone.

ValeYard

Wow. However, I'd concur that this has more to do with lack of infrastructure in tier 2 countries than massive amount of hardware failures. For instance, the length of the respective hardware problem threads of the new consoles here on GAF would suggest that ps4 had more faulty boxes out the door, but no RRoD levels by any means.

Weird, I thought MS was building up its European presence last gen, then all this tier 2 stuff happened. Definitely a poor show. If you want to compete you at least have to show up. That said, I really like my xbox one, but it's clear that the best xbox experience is in the US, then the UK. In Europe there are always issues with services or localization.

Stare-Bear

Banned
I wonder how many people have bought an Xbox One in the Netherlands. Can't be that many. So does Microsoft have like 1 intern who has to fix all the defect Xboxes?

sinnergy

S¡mon;103354922 said:
Except... Microsoft Netherlands did accept them until this week. They even said people shouldn't worry because defect Xbox Ones would be repaired.

Now you actually have to go or send them to Germany (or the UK).

Well it's not something manually you would do, I think.. you just check in your xbox online and print the sticker and it gets send abroad.. so i don't see the problem?

Just like with Xbox360..

(only difference is it get's send abroad and not to Limburg (if I have it correct ;) ))

Wow.....
Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Netherlands culture (I’m an expert), but honor and cheese are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Holland, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Netherland public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase these all-in-one systems, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft’s other products. This is HUGE! You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated all Tier 2 countries with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and extend the warranty to 3 years FOR FREE or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I work and talk with dutch designers every week, some of which game and are on their third or fourth Xbox 360. If the Xbox 360 with all of its early issue still sold reasonably well in the Netherlands, I don't think the Xbox One will suffer a lot because of it. Hardware failures are, quite honestly, not high on priority lists for a lot of consumers when they purchase a games console. If they were, Microsoft wouldn't, for the majority of this generation, have sold better than Sony because their early models' reliability was so bad that to me it was baffling how some consumers and even people I know continued to purchase it.

I know a person who has 3 Xbox 360s, 1 of them doesn't work and is out of warranty and only one of them wasn't replaced during the warranty period. How this was acceptable to him, and its still his favourite console, is beyond my understanding.

I work and talk with dutch designers every week, some of which game and are on their third or fourth Xbox 360. If the Xbox 360 with all of its early issue still sold reasonably well in the Netherlands, I don't think the Xbox One will suffer a lot because of it. Hardware failures are, quite honestly, not high on priority lists for a lot of consumers when they purchase a games console. If they were, Microsoft wouldn't, for the majority of this generation, have sold better than Sony because their early models' reliability was so bad that to me it was baffling how some consumers and even people I know continued to purchase it.

I know a person who has 3 Xbox 360s, 1 of them doesn't work and is out of warranty and only one of them wasn't replaced during the warranty period. How this was acceptable to him, and its still his favourite console, is beyond my understanding.
He's trolling with some meme, before anyone takes him seriously

Skeleton

Banned
Sound really crappy to live in Europe at the moment and being an XB1 owner.
My friend recently moved there for a lead QA job, hope his doesn't die before titanfall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom