• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Since this will eventually die down, just wanted to say you guys are amazing. It was an honor to have served you lol.

I just went back to the OP, and saw all the edits. Absolutely incredible job, shinobi.

For what its worth, I've been glued to this thread all night last night, and all day today. Pure entertainment.

Boss Man

you know.... I just typed up a nice reply to this and the original post I took issue with, mercilessly tearing it to shreds, but then I realized... fuck it. Life's too short. You're right, I'm getting hung up on semantics. This is a giant waste of both of our collective times. I don't really give a shit.

Just know that I ain't defending this shitty policy, that's for sure.
I don't think you are defending the policy, I think you like arguing (I get this bug a lot too so I understand it). In my original post I was arguing that reminding people that something is a rumor only seems worthwhile to remind them that it may not happen, not that rumor = impossible. It's more about intent than definition.

But yeah, semantics is pretty much the only other reason I can imagine. I didn't mean to go all post history stalker on you, I just assumed that you had talked about the next Xbox in this thread without specifying that it's a rumor and thought it would explain my gripe better than arguing about what the word rumor implies.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Durango is just raw stupidity and it hasn't been revealed yet.

At this point it seem the only way to salvage the flaming trainwreck that is Durango is delay it to x-mas 2014.

-Cwalat-

Imagine...

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

Imagine the rage that would've consumed the crowd. >:O

Also, if by any chance Microsoft decide to actually incorporate this "always online" requirement in their next console, i'm pretty sure Sony would run them over with "our console is truly for every gamer" marketing.... which is why i doubt Microsoft would actually do this. I mean, if devs and gamers already are going apeshit over this there is no way they could possibly win with that strategy.

So I just skimmed through this entire thread.

Oh this is just hilarious. Looks like the Big 3 are going to lose one of their numbers.

Someone needs to re-create that long-ass post someone made on the FFXIII on 360 thread and replace Sony with Microsoft (along with some other things).

larvi

I wasn't able to launch Kinect PlayFit at all yesterday evening due to issue on the Live servers. Good thing I could still play my disc based games though. I'll be "dealing with it" next gen by switching back to PC gaming. I never should have left it in the first place. I still have a good backlog of current and last gen console games that will still work off line as well.

Dunlop

Oh this is just hilarious. Looks like the Big 3 are going to lose one of their numbers.

It's been a fun thread, but nobody seriously believes this will have any real impact on MS right?

The unveiling is in a month+ from now and nobody outside of Gaf will remember this.

I'm in the camp of always online <> DRM. SimCity and Diablo III clearly show we are not ready for that and would open them up to a ton of liability

farisr

This will be my first E3 on GAF

I will charge head first into the battle. Sword in one hand, Flame Shield in the other

Same here actually. I wish I had started coming here sooner. Much better than that other place that shall not be named (though there are a few select users/topics they create around these times that are solid). Already have had two great experiences in big threads, this one and the ps meeting one (before the event).

Never thought I would actually enjoy reading posts on a message board. Especially when they're talking about something I consider to be bad news.

Sorral

You know, I have been trying to finish this paper about the Zimmermann Telegram and there is the part about how the British cut the German Atlantic cables.

NO ALWAYS ONLINE FOR YOU! The British said in 1916 yet Microsoft isn't learning from history man.

I am unable to finish the paper because this is still too good. damnit

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just spend an hour reading up on where I left off this morning. God lord this stuff just writes itself. The gifs, Polysoft and that corporate clown of theirs. All had me rolling like no other. Quality entertainment right here folks. Must go deeper.

Master_JO

Banned
Was this posted?

bkilian BD3

Playing the game without the disc in the drive. If the amount of whining we see every time a 2 or more disc game gets released is any indication, this is a _huge_ benefit. Heck, as I recall, there was months of whining because you couldn't eject the disc tray remotely.

But let's get serious here for a second. They don't need always-online for DRM. The Steam model uses online activation, and doesn't require always online. So let's get it straight: always-online is not a DRM thing. You can lock down piracy perfectly well with one-time codes and online activation, which only requires a connection the first time you start a game. In fact, that would even work for not requiring the disc in the drive.

Always online is a feature that developers can rely on being there, something they cannot do with a current console, or even PC. Like the hard drive in the PS3, or analog triggers on the controller. Requiring always-online is telling the developer: "Don't be afraid to incorporate features that rely on an internet connection, we will guarantee it is there". Things like a RTS game that uses google maps as it's terrain engine, or persistent online worlds, or integrating an ARG into the gameplay. Consider Ubisoft's Watch_Dogs with a modification of the game phoning your actual phone and interacting with you as if you're in the game world.

It's the next logical step in gaming. We can quibble about whether now is too soon, but it's going to happen regardless, if not this coming generation, the next one.

I think it's very good explained.

ironcreed

Banned
It's been a fun thread, but nobody seriously believes this will have any real impact on MS right?

The unveiling is in a month+ from now and nobody outside of Gaf will remember this.

I'm in the camp of always online <> DRM. SimCity and Diablo III clearly show we are not ready for that and would open them up to a ton of liability

The masses will not care. As long as it has flashy features, it will probably sell fine. No dice for me, though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So everyone knows that Orth and Manveeir Heir are friends right? I know it's a public conversation and that Orth should have remember that, but I think the context changes a bit considering it's two friends giving each other shit.

I am completely against an always-online console, but is anyone here thinking this has been a complete overreaction to the guy's comments?

I'll enjoy watching it fail beside the no always-online ps4. Sony worked hard to please gamers and developers; it's time to reap the rewards.

So everyone knows that Orth and Manveeir Heir are friends right? I know it's a public conversation and that Orth should have remember that, but I think the context changes a bit considering it's two friends giving each other shit.

I am completely against an always-online console, but is anyone here thinking this has been a complete overreaction to the guy's comments?
He wasn't talking to his friend at first. So no it's not.

NO!

Was this posted?

Playing the game without the disc in the drive. If the amount of whining we see every time a 2 or more disc game gets released is any indication, this is a _huge_ benefit. Heck, as I recall, there was months of whining because you couldn't eject the disc tray remotely.

But let's get serious here for a second. They don't need always-online for DRM. The Steam model uses online activation, and doesn't require always online. So let's get it straight: always-online is not a DRM thing. You can lock down piracy perfectly well with one-time codes and online activation, which only requires a connection the first time you start a game. In fact, that would even work for not requiring the disc in the drive.

Always online is a feature that developers can rely on being there, something they cannot do with a current console, or even PC. Like the hard drive in the PS3, or analog triggers on the controller. Requiring always-online is telling the developer: "Don't be afraid to incorporate features that rely on an internet connection, we will guarantee it is there". Things like a RTS game that uses google maps as it's terrain engine, or persistent online worlds, or integrating an ARG into the gameplay. Consider Ubisoft's Watch_Dogs with a modification of the game phoning your actual phone and interacting with you as if you're in the game world.

It's the next logical step in gaming. We can quibble about whether now is too soon, but it's going to happen regardless, if not this coming generation, the next one.

What

libregkd

These initial comments:

Weren't directed at anyone though.

Boss Man

Was this posted?
What would be the benefit of this over download/install exactly? Especially if both of them launch without requiring the process to be completed? It takes away the decision of whether or not to buy discs (since discs won't work at all on the former)?

I guess you don't have to use bandwidth on the initial download. It's disc-based disc-less gaming, which isn't particularly groundbreaking or exciting.

Requiring always-online is telling the developer: "Don't be afraid to incorporate features that rely on an internet connection, we will guarantee it is there". Things like a RTS game that uses google maps as it's terrain engine, or persistent online worlds, or integrating an ARG into the gameplay. Consider Ubisoft's Watch_Dogs with a modification of the game phoning your actual phone and interacting with you as if you're in the game world.
But always-online games already exist on platforms that aren't required to be online.

Tomat

The "Deal with it" and "Why would I ever live there?" conversation were with Manveer Heir, and everybody seems to be really focusing on those two conversations which seems unfair considering they're friends.

I get the complete opposition and outcry against the always-online, sure that's fine. But the shit this guy is probably getting for a conversation that seems to have largely taken place between two friends (even if it was public, which was stupid) seems like way too much.

These initial comments:

Weren't directed at anyone though.

You're right, and I agree with everyone's reaction to THOSE comments. I'm a little less "upset" about his conversatiaon with Manveer given the context.

Dunlop

The masses will not care. As long as it has flashy features, it will probably sell fine. No dice for me, though.

I'm in the PS4 boat mostly because I'm sure most of the features will be US/UK centric but if Microsoft releases an always online model that is $200 cheaper,not needing a fee for MP and plays the same games I would still jump on it...and I be many posting here would as well.

Reiko

Banned

The story is no longer contained in GAF.

rdrr gnr

He was obviously joking about the geography. But his sentiment (which was directed at no one but his followers and in response to the Kotaku article) is genuine. He is and was defending an anti-consumer philosophy. If he is a bit sweaty and unsettled... good. We need more of that backlash from people like you and I.

Edit: libregkd

jtb

Banned

eh I dunno. I swipe at people's views all the time on Twitter without actually tweeting at them. Not saying he was or wasn't aiming it at his friend, but... 140 characters. Don't wanna ruin the punchline, and all that. as someone who also probably thinks they're far wittier than they actually are, I empathize with his plight.

jtb

Banned
This:

-snip-

Reminded me of this:

-snip-

Arrogant assholes on Twitter apparently like this pose/look.

oh come on. are the personal attacks really necessary? attack the guy's idiotic views, not what he chose as his profile pic.

Yawnier

Banned
Someone needs to re-create that long-ass post someone made on the FFXIII on 360 thread and replace Sony with Microsoft (along with some other things).

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but the Xbox™ Brand and Wal-Mart™ Supercenters are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being polite and generous. If you screw someone over in America you bring Big Macs to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that Big Mac is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the next generation Xbox™ home console, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel 'always online' for the next generation Xbox™ home console or you can kiss your business goodbye.

good enough? :)

Was this posted?

bkilian BD3

A game that used live-google earth data could just run off the old data until you go online again. Sure, maybe you're not getting the truest live data, but you are getting real data.

Watch Dogs could just have that feature while you are connected. Some people may not want grief callers?

Tomat

He was obviously joking about the geography. But his sentiment (which was directed at no one but his followers and in response to the Kotaku article) is genuine. He is and was defending an anti-consumer philosophy. If he is a bit sweaty and unsettled... good. We need more of that backlash from people like you and I.

Edit: libregkd

See and I agree with this, I should have clarified originally. His original comments to everyone were really stupid, and I absolutely hate his stance on the matter.

mavs

eh I dunno. I swipe at people's views all the time on Twitter without actually tweeting at them. Not saying he was or wasn't aiming it at his friend, but... 140 characters. Don't wanna ruin the punchline, and all that. as someone who also probably thinks they're far wittier than they actually are, I empathize with his plight.

His comments were concurrent with the fallout from the Kotaku article, so even if he was having a private conversation with a friend it's hard to believe it doesn't tie in to the discussion of the console.

Top Bottom