• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

blakep267

It's not. Officially no other platform was announced beside PS4, but there's no mention of the word "exclusive" at all, and we know platform holders like to throw that word any chance they can. Not Crash though, never once it was said (or written) that it's PS4 exclusive.
I mean I assumed that was always the case. Why would activision make an exclusive game. It benefits them in now way. They don't need Sonys money to make games. They've been putting out platinum slop for years. Also when a game is exclusive Sony lets you know it

see5harp

Well, at the beginning of this generation it seemed that it wasn't going to be that way based off of the games that they were showing. They have released 1st party content but it just wasn't great, or I should say up to the standards of what people excited it to be based on how they marketed it. 

Yea, that's sorta the way it went on 360 too. Started off with a ton of new somewhat exciting franchises like Viva Pinata with huge plans and then MS hold onto the ones that stick and produce sequels. Last gen it was fine because the PS3 was abysmal to play multiplatform games on for the most part. Now that they've caught up with featureset and run better AND have a lot more exclusives it's just getting hard to even get behind this console. On top of all that the box that is going to fix at least the multiplatform game advantage that the competition has currently was beat to market by 12 months? I feel like MS is floundering right now. We're still waiting on Below which is ludicrous for a smaller game.

Strootman

I don't think they are leaving the industry, I think that they aren't making Xbox what it was anymore. Being more of a platform and less than a IP factory, console holder. Their biggest announcements have been platform features, not really games. I'm interested in what they have to show at E3, but it seems that it's more of a 3rd party box than a 1st party one that has the benefits of a 3rd party.

This, but the problem is that we can play all 3rd party games on another platform (PS4). So why buying xbox instead of PS4?

Haven't they already tried buying Nintendo?

I also wonder what they bought Minecraft for? They haven't made it Xbox/Windows device exclusive.

Minecraft makes money because it has a massive userbase. Making it exclusive makes no sense. Without a community, the game would go away. Most minecrafters are quite young most of them don't have an xbone.

MS gets profit from every game sold, every dlc/skinpack, every Minecraft t-shirt/handbag, whatever people are buying. This is ms being a business first and foremost. MICROSOFT bought Minecraft, not Xbox.

Strootman

I agree with a lot of this and this years E3 will probably be my least anticipated or hyped, ever.

Maybe they are lulling us into a false sense of security and then.....

I just want 360's early years ms back :(

Gears, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Blue dragon, Eternal Sonata, Bioshock, Kameo, Viva Pinata, PGR 3/4, Forza 2/3, Tales of Vesperia, Crackdown, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2 etc...

Fuck :(

Dabanton

I also wonder what they bought Minecraft for? They haven't made it Xbox/Windows device exclusive.

Minecraft is already embedded into multiple platforms and making silly amounts of cash, no point making it exclusive at this point as it 's an evergreen title.

Now a Minecraft 2 if it ever appears, is a different proposition. I could see that as a Windows exclusive whilst also allowing tablet, phone and handheld versions.

Chris1

There's no way Minecraft ever goes exclusive. Maybe Minecraft 2 will be like 3 month exclusive or something, but lifetime? noooooooope.

This, but the problem is that we can play all 3rd party games on another platform (PS4). So why buying xbox instead of PS4?

There will always be first party IP. Always has.

But we know that the trend this generation has been that multiplatform software is the biggest driver in revenue and console adoptation. GTA5 and Destiny crushed any first party game.

If we're getting things like Phantom Dust remaster and Voodoo Vince and Recore I still haven't lost hope that MS is still interested in niche titles.

JaggedSac

I don't think they are leaving the industry, I think that they aren't making Xbox what it was anymore. Being more of a platform and less than a IP factory, console holder. Their biggest announcements have been platform features, not really games. I'm interested in what they have to show at E3, but it seems that it's more of a 3rd party box than a 1st party one that has the benefits of a 3rd party.

And that would be fine with me actually, as long as Halo existed, but they haven't provided many outstanding platform features hat would make it the preferred platform for gamers. If they can make that case, I think it would be acceptable.

Papacheeks

Banned

Gears, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Blue dragon, Eternal Sonata, Bioshock, Kameo, Viva Pinata, PGR 3/4, Forza 2/3, Tales of Vesperia, Crackdown, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2 etc...

Why stop there? Bring back old franchises from OG xbox like Otagi, fusion frenzy, grabbed by the ghoulies sequel, conker, perfect dark, rally sport, PGR, exclusive oddworld game maybe a sequel to oddworld stranger, lock down a good ninja gaiden game, a new blinx, a funded exclusive by BIOWARE like a jade empire sequel or a straight up Old repblic sequel.

There are tons of games for them to bring back but they wont cause Microsoft going to Microsoft.

blakep267

There's no way Minecraft ever goes exclusive. Maybe Minecraft 2 will be like 3 month exclusive or something, but lifetime? noooooooope.
I disagree to an extent. Like I think it would launch in Xbox, windows10, iOS android and you wouldn't hear about any other versions. Then eventually, they would just come out for switch and PS4 unannounced, and would get late updates in comparison to the Xbox. Now how long between the releases, I don't know but I wouldn't put it in stone that it's a short time

Chris1

I disagree to an extent. Like I think it would launch in Xbox, windows10, iOS android and you wouldn't hear about any other versions. Then eventually, they would just come out for switch and PS4 unannounced, and would get late updates in comparison to the Xbox. Now how long between the releases, I don't know but I wouldn't put it in stone that it's a short time

Well yeah they'd make it sound exclusive, but there's no way it actually is.

Tonky

Microsoft hasn't built their next Halo/Gears-level IP for this gen yet, and I think that's where the problem is. Maybe Crackdown could rise to that level if the multi-player turns out be to really fun.

Vinc

Theres a chance Gears 2 Ultimate is in the pipe and being worked on by the same EU studio that delivered most of Gears 1 UE. But its not a project i've heard of as being a lock, and I know MS isn't necessarily too enthused to do that again because they are all on offer on BC already.

From my understanding, Xbox division is only making serious moves or putting their cut funding on things that are meant to be big, serious earners. Don't be surprised to see that MS is pursuing their equivalent of Overwatch.

As for Techland, their relationship with WB & the success Dying Light wound up becoming is too strong for MS to break through that, and WB loves keeping their titles spread across multiple platforms. Techland & WB have too strong a relationship right now, and Techland makes SP focused games with MP modes - that ain't something you can expect MS to give much of a toss about like they used to.

I just have one thing to say about this:

> Forza has no equivalence on the console and took advantage of Gran Turismo's failings since the PS3 gen.

> Halo had no equivalence when it launched on a very broad scope (console shooters were rare), and had no equivalence until Destiny / COD came out. It's now starting to downplay its differences and trying to be more like other franchises, much to the fanbase's dismay, and the numbers keep going down.

> Gears had no equivalence when it came out and it was very successful. Now other, similar games have started coming out and chipped away at its relevance.

> Minecraft has no equivalence.

> Sea of Thieves looks like it could be successful, but my main worries are all about it potentially "trying to be like Destiny" or some free-to-play games. Waiting to hear more, but the farther away it gets from these concepts, the more I'll be sold on it.

> Xbox Live as a whole was a unique concept back when it launched and for a long time during the last gen.

The path to success is differentiation. Each game has to justify its existence in the modern market. MS themselves have found most of their success this way.

Oersted

Looking at japanese games, Playstation has arguably more thirdparty support.

There will always be first party IP. Always has.

But we know that the trend this generation has been that multiplatform software is the biggest driver in revenue and console adoptation. GTA5 and Destiny crushed any first party game.

If we're getting things like Phantom Dust remaster and Voodoo Vince and Recore I still haven't lost hope that MS is still interested in niche titles.

Comparing GTA V, which is available on 4 plattforms to first party titles, is kind of absurd. Not to forget, as plattform holder you shouldn't built your business around an extreme outlier.

Kssio_Aug

It's not. Officially no other platform was announced beside PS4, but there's no mention of the word "exclusive" at all, and we know platform holders like to throw that word any chance they can. Not Crash though, never once it was said (or written) that it's PS4 exclusive.

I didn't know this as well. Maybe Activision wanted this to be "open" to release on different platforms depending on some deals... if Nintendo / MS pays them well, it may show up there. Or maybe they just plan to release it on PC later down the road.

Linkified

http://i.imgur.com/ZPYaMWF.png[/MG]
Do you remember that one? lol
[B]Also Shannon deserves more flack[/B].[/QUOTE]

When you work in a large company and you are given a restricted budget to work in its a question of return on investment would investing another $100m over maybe 2 years recoup their investment or get Iron Galaxy to do what they do with Killer Instinct with the Phantom Dust, or create GaaS out of the likes of Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark or even a Zoo Tycoon.

If their was a chance they would recoup the investment they would of seen it through.

Kssio_Aug

didn't a developer from VV say that this is a game from Sony & Acitivision ?

Edit: here is the tweet

https://twitter.com/DaveARodriguez/status/805556426936565760

But see what he says next:

Doomsday Device - @DaveARodriguez Hello David. Why Sony? Isn't Crash an Activision IP and not Sonys?

David A. Rodriguez ‏- @Yalstromo Vicarious Visions is part of Activision. The trilogy is coming out on the PS4 which is owned by Sony. :)

I guess he just meant that is a game made by Activision for a Sony console.

But see what he says next:

Doomsday Device - @DaveARodriguez Hello David. Why Sony? Isn't Crash an Activision IP and not Sonys?

David A. Rodriguez ‏- @Yalstromo Vicarious Visions is part of Activision. The trilogy is coming out on the PS4 which is owned by Sony. :)

I guess he just meant that is a game made by Activision for a Sony console.

hm yeah ok missed that part.

But doesn't Sony own the publishing rights for the Crash Trilogy?

Lothars

I just have one thing to say about this:

> Forza has no equivalence on the console and took advantage of Gran Turismo's failings since the PS3 gen.
I don't think that's a good example honestly especially coming from how good the xbox 360 forza's areand how bad forza 5 was and how forgettable I feel Forza 6 is. I don't think they have done a good job with taking advantage of the lull of GT taking so long to come out.

The exception is Forza Horizon Series which are just incredible games but I feel they are also a different beast all together and not really lumped in with the numbered forza games.

Chris1

Yea I think this is a bad example. Forza horizon would be better, because that's grown (to even become the biggest Forza launch) and took advantage of its competitors (NFS etc)'s shortcomings

Otherwise you make good points, MS breakaway hits are usually something not done before. Sea of Thieves and Crackdown both have that, maybe they'll be hits.

Which one?

Insomniac doing ratchet, vr and Spider-Man
Remedy doif crossfire thing and new ip
crytek own ryse and hate ms
Scalebound didn't even get to launch

Was that confirmed? The Polygon article said they were mum on whether or not it was an existing Remedy IP or not (aside from it not being Alan Wake). Wouldn't be surprised if Project 7 was a concept that has the potential to be applied to Max Payne or Quantum Break and they aren't not ruling out those options (if the comment about not knowing publishing plans was true) if either publisher was interested.

Was that confirmed? I thought the Polygon article said they were mum on whether or not it was an existing Remedy IP or not (aside from it not being Alan Wake). Wouldn't be surprised if Project 7 was a concept that has the potential to be applied to Max Payne or Quantum Break and they aren't not ruling out those options (if the comment about not knowing publishing plans was true) if either publisher was interested.

MS own QB and 2k/Rockstar own Max Payne. Sure doesnt sound like they're working on QB2 and no idea about Max Payne

Iberian

Those were the days, my friend. Now I cannot stop thinking that I invested in the wrong ecosystem.

MS own QB and 2k/Rockstar own Max Payne. Sure doesnt sound like they're working on QB2 and no idea about Max Payne

That's what I mean; the IP of Project 7 could be...flexible. If they start pitching the project to publishers they might go to MS or 2K and try to apply one of those brands (or any other IP I suppose) to the game.

They missed out not buying bioware imo, maybe they tried I don't know but it would of been a good addition to their line up

FelipeMGM

According to gamefaqs Activison is publishing it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/191634-crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy/data

But I'm not sure how reliable this is.

Yes, Activision is the publisher of the N Sane Trilogy

but he is talking about the OG games which Sony does have some ownership and which the N Sane Trilogy is using as a framework. Other than moneyhats, this could be the reason for it to be exclusive. The legals behind this could also be the reason why they havent said outright its exclusive as well

see5harp

Those were the days, my friend. Now I cannot stop thinking that I invested in the wrong ecosystem.

Despite how frustrated I feel with the state of the platform now I can't say I agree with that. I can play better versions of my existing copies of blue dragon and lost odyssey on the Xbox one right now. Props where props are due. If you mean current gen then yes, ms has to do a lot more to convince me to buy any game for their system (although I have even fewer multi platform games for PS4). No sense buying any of these games when I know they will basically work forever across hardware on pc.

he just replies to timdog 95% of the time though.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/819285599261597696

@XboxP3 switching fronts , how is progress coming along with Scorpio? Are you happy with what you are seeing ? ♏♏♏♏

@BeastFireTimdog Absolutely, great that our 1st party teams are getting engines up and tuned, great progress across studios, platform and hw

so 1st party folks already are getting engines up and tuned for Scorpio. so rumor of dev kits out in feb/march might hold some truth then?

--- edit

Fast, someone tweet him super intelligent and that reflects the question of all of GAF.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I don't get Microsoft.

Fine. You don't want to invest in NEW studios. Cool. Studios are expensive to run, games cost a lot of money to make for potentially no return. I GET IT.

But fuck me, 343, Coalition and Rare a HUUUUUGE fucking studios. Learn how to manage your fucking resources and allow these behemoth studios to assign a small team to make smaller scale new games. Little projects that cost very little dev time that are low investment/high return. It gives the library some diversity and has the potential to spawn a great little franchise should a game really take off.

You can even NAME the off shoot studios. 343 Play, The Horde, Rare Funlabs so it on the surface looks like a separate studio, but at a moments notice they can be re-absorbed into the main studio to help with the Halo/Gears games they were created for.

I mean come oooooon. It's not that hard.

Top Bottom