• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori: Crazy Taxi Remake slated for 2027; GaaS versions of Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi also in the works; Golden Axe was originally planned for 2023

Text version in case the tweets get deleted:
I want to make sure there is no confusion with what I am saying before.

It is correct information that Sega is developing full remakes of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio in Unreal Engine 5 with most of the original staff.

These titles would release before the GaaS reboots.

Internally, both the Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi plans had already been previously delayed two different times, including the original reveal dates for the projects.

The previous plan before this month was to release Jet Set Radio remake and reboot in 2026 and Crazy Taxi in 2027.

Golden Axe was supposed to release individually in 2023 and marketing plans were created. But this plan was then changed.

These remakes are very similar to the original games but with some new features including multiplayer for Crazy Taxi.

And day one cosmetic DLC is currently planned for the remakes. But there are currently not expansion passes planned.

These are not the GaaS Reboot titles.

And now SOA is more involved in development and marketing of Sega titles than before. And communication has become more consistent between SOA and SOJ for these titles as part of global initiative. It is not just for Sonic titles.

Crew511A

H8sEfDN.png

nial

Gold Member
I'm in for the Jet Set Radio remake if it's good, no interest for the rest.
Sega Japan is truly a soulless production company these days, wonder how they will handle that Evangelion game.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why make two of the same IP that compete against or diminish each other, they could do the reboot taxi and have an ace classic mode for old fans using the same assets and stuff rather than produce two full new titles, especially if they add gaas-like stuff to the remake like cosmetics/multiplayer. It just seems like both will be half baked instead of get one potentially decent product. Granted Crazy Taxi has had multiplayer added before in the PSP ports, no clue how that worked, it's a high score based arcade game to begin with and needs different elements for live multiplayer to be enticing.

I could see them can the other thing if whichever comes first underperforms (even if justified), especially if the delays keep happening. Crazy Taxi 2 (and later) isn't as fondly thought of (probably a case of being less played by being on Dreamcast, not arcade, and fans of the original not bothering to learn the new cities), similar to Daytona USA vs Daytona USA 2 as despite the latter being amazing fewer arcade venues had it (given the cost of Model 3 machines, especially multiples for multiplayer) but releasing something barebones that only includes the very first game doesn't seem so great...

Last edited:

Kadve

Gold Member
Ah the classic franchise I totally would associate with a GaaS model, Jet Set Radio. Nothing says standing up to authority, and sticking it to the man like giving micro transactions to a greedy cooperation.
Well as Pink Floyd would say: "Welcome to the machine"

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
A Crazy Taxi remake should be something similar to Tony Hawks 1+2, with all stages, bonus and, of course, by all means with no change at all, the soundtrack

poodaddy

Gold Member
I don't understand how Sega is so efficient as to put out extremely high quality Like a Dragon games every one to two years that look great, play incredibly, have great acting and audio, tons of side quests and writing, and essentially no glitches while also being inefficient enough to take over three years for a fuckin update of a game where you drive taxis fast while listening to The Offspring and Bad Religion.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Developing for UNREAL 5 isn't easy, they need to work out how to not make these 300GB installs.

Pelao

How the hell can it take so long to make a fucking Crazy Taxi remake?
It's such a simple 3D arcade game.
Either they're extremely incompetent or they're expanding it to make it “deeper,” in which case, is it still Crazy Taxi anymore?

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I don't understand how Sega is so efficient as to put out extremely high quality Like a Dragon games every one to two years that look great, play incredibly, have great acting and audio, tons of side quests and writing, and essentially no glitches while also being inefficient enough to take over three years for a fuckin update of a game where you drive taxis fast while listening to The Offspring and Bad Religion.
Different studios, that's it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
lol these games won’t work as a gaas service title way to basic no depth to keep it going long term. I swear everyone who greenlights games have zero vision

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Developing for UNREAL 5 isn't easy, they need to work out how to not make these 300GB installs.

Unreal Engine 5 has big installs?

Hellblade 2 - 70GB​
Immortals - 70GB​
Tekken 8 - 80GB​
Lords of the Fallen - 50GB​
Fortnite - 90GB​

If I was to hazard a guess these games will probably top out at 70GB.

I'll buy it only if they put in the original offspring songs.

If not no buy. My memories.

Jesus.
Just reading this comment Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah was playing in my head.

They have to relicense every song from the original OST else death!

DaGwaphics

Crazy Taxi is a game that actually fits a GaaS loop, it was a basic coin eater to begin with. It could be a really interesting one.

What's weird is this makes it sound like there will be two versions, a traditional stand alone and the GaaS. I think it's risky for them to launch those a different times, in the event that the traditional game gets overlooked it might make it hard to get the service game started.

Shut0wen

How the fuck do you make a crazy taxi gaas title, im calling bullshit, sega is a dumb fuck of a company but not this dumb, just seems retarded making a gaas for niche titles

Top Bottom