• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midori: Crazy Taxi Remake slated for 2027; GaaS versions of Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi also in the works; Golden Axe was originally planned for 2023

DaGwaphics

How the fuck do you make a crazy taxi gaas title, im calling bullshit, sega is a dumb fuck of a company but not this dumb, just seems retarded making a gaas for niche titles

?

It's essentially ready made for it, IMO. Offer timed/themed based cosmetics for the cab and cabbies. Redesign the map like fortnite for seasons. Put 100 cabbies on the street at the same time and make it a BR. Add in a few goofy powerups that players can use against other players (Mario Cart/Sonic racing style). Many, many options.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wasn't CT announced like last year? You're telling me it's still 3 years away?? Is it a team of 4 people developing the game?

My guess? Larger city with suburban areas. Maybe multiple cities. Different cars, different characters, upgrades, maybe even seasonal changes (winter, fall, summer, spring) and weather? Maybe making it slicker to drive on ice and rain, fog to make it harder to see, etc.

Bruh...

If I'm disappointed in Sony for anything it's for not keeping their awesome racing franchises going (I know RR isn't Sony but it's tightly entwined with PlayStation for me). Bring back Ridge Racer, Motorstorm, and Wipeout.

Well, Bandai-Namco are bringing Ace Combat back, so maybe there's hope for Ridge Racer in the future.

There was a rumor from last year that SIE are collabing with 3P like SEGA/Atlus and Bandai-Namco to bring back legacy IP as AA games. Wipeout was one of the IP mentioned. But, that rumor also could be BS. If anything I'm more flustered that there is no roadmap whatsoever in terms of 1P-developed titles from SIE (either with internal studios or with IP that SIE own, such as legacy titles) for 2024-onward.

The idea they're holding that for a PS5 Pro reveal feels kinda cheap to me, but there's a slight chance it's possible. Just wouldn't get my hopes up too much for it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why make two of the same IP that compete against or diminish each other, they could do the reboot taxi and have an ace classic mode for old fans using the same assets and stuff rather than produce two full new titles, especially if they add gaas-like stuff to the remake like cosmetics/multiplayer.
You don't 'add Gaas' if you want to seriously compete in the space - there are ground-up design choices that require significant up-front investment, or you just spend a lot of time/$ rebuilding the game later (Which does happen too, tbh).
If you want a very concrete example - R* spent more money on building the launch version of GTA:O (that's excluding all the costs of the core GTA5 game) than most AAAs get for the full game. And that's an example where base assets are largely identical between the two games.

Now all that aside - I did always think CT lends itself very well to a MMO-lite experience and it could be very successful as a GaaS (possibly more so than the base game ever was, across all its iterations). But (and that's a big but) it will require people that actually know what they're doing - hopefully this isn't being asked from teams that only built regular console games - we've had a wave of burned studios back in early 2010s on exactly the same GaaS gold-rush, we don't need another one of those.

What's weird is this makes it sound like there will be two versions, a traditional stand alone and the GaaS. I think it's risky for them to launch those a different times, in the event that the traditional game gets overlooked it might make it hard to get the service game started.
It might be a case of hedging bets - eg. if remake is basically just original game reskinned with Nanite assets - while the service will be built from ground up with more modern mechanics. It's certainly a case where building the GaaS version is likely to take longer (possibly substantially so) so it could also be an idea to build brand awareness with the remake, in lead-up to launch of the service - but to your point, that could also backfire.

I am more curious about what the hell JSR GaaS reboot would be like. I mean I can sort of picture it like some gang-wars style competing for territories etc. - but would people really want to spray-paint competitively?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well, Bandai-Namco are bringing Ace Combat back, so maybe there's hope for Ridge Racer in the future.
After what they've done to last 3 Ridge Racer games I'm extremely not hopeful. But if they want to bring it back - they should just release a Ridge Compilation - give us all the content from first 5-6 games and selectable driving engine (R4, R5, R6/7). I'd come back for that :p

After what they've done to last 3 Ridge Racer games I'm extremely not hopeful. But if they want to bring it back - they should just release a Ridge Compilation - give us all the content from first 5-6 games and selectable driving engine (R4, R5, R6/7). I'd come back for that :p

An all-in-one Ridge Racer Remake with tracks from all the classic games, driving engine selection like you mentioned, not to mention cars & tracks from the prior games plus maybe some new content, would actually do quite well.

I'd be down to pick it up for sure.

So what’s going on with Golden Axe? Hope they didn’t cancel it.

Should still be in development.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
My guess? Larger city with suburban areas. Maybe multiple cities. Different cars, different characters, upgrades, maybe even seasonal changes (winter, fall, summer, spring) and weather? Maybe making it slicker to drive on ice and rain, fog to make it harder to see, etc.

Crazy Taxi is a score based game. Which means that all this shit is unnecessary and actually detracts from the game. Of course this wouldn’t be the first time that a publisher has no idea about the game they are making.

Did Sega just pull an Xbox? I thought all of the games mentioned last year were close to release. Now, I am thinking it was pre-rendered bullshit and that production is barely off the ground for any of these games

cireza

Did Sega just pull an Xbox? I thought all of the games mentioned last year were close to release. Now, I am thinking it was pre-rendered bullshit and that production is barely off the ground for any of these games
SEGA and Atlus keep releasing awesome games one after another, where's the rush ?

SEGA and Atlus keep releasing awesome games one after another, where's the rush ?
I just don't like false advertisement. I'd rather they just announce the games and not show us something that will resemble very little of what the final product will be

Last edited:

FeralEcho

2027....not even for a new game but a remake of a game where you pick up civilians and take them places for points.... that's it...essentially a mini game in a GTA game....and it takes as much as a full fledged new game.

There has to be some money laundering scheme going on in this industry right?

I refuse to believe developers have become this incompetent.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Crazy Taxi is a score based game. Which means that all this shit is unnecessary and actually detracts from the game. Of course this wouldn’t be the first time that a publisher has no idea about the game they are making.

So you just want the same exact city with no variations or events to make the next run more interesting? That is dumb.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So you just want the same exact city with no variations or events to make the next run more interesting? That is dumb.

Yes, that's the point of a score-based game. If things vary, then how can you compare one score to another?

They can make a different game if they want, but then it wouldn't be Crazy Taxi.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes, that's the point of a score-based game. If things vary, then how can you compare one score to another?

They can make a different game if they want, but then it wouldn't be Crazy Taxi.

They are called levels and each has their own scoreboard. You clearly don’t know much about arcade based games if you fail to grasp even that.

Hell, Crazy Taxi 2 added a ton of side content and it was better for it compared to the original and kept its arcade roots.

Last edited:

Gudji

GaaS Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio

Animated GIF

Top Bottom