• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

hokahey

BWW is some of the worst food. I would expect a place with WINGS in the goddamned name to either have good wings, or at least cheap wings. But they have expensive shitty wings, and they are a travesty.

Their Asian Zing wings are god tier. Sorry.

It is all WAAAAY over priced though, and they deserve to fail for that alone. But to say their wings are shitty is dead wrong.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It is all WAAAAY over priced though, and they deserve to fail for that alone. But to say their wings are shitty is dead wrong.

Too much overhead so the wings have to be higher priced.

TylerD

1) It is NOT BW3. Buffalo Wild Wings = 2 Ws. There is not a 3rd W.

2) Applebee's maple butter blondie with a hot as shit skillet is the best thing there. Quesadilla burger is good too

I was a server at Applebee's in college for 5 months but was done after a rough hangover on Sunday morning and the geriatric church crowd were especially stingy with the tips pushed me over the edge. Gave my 2 week notice before I left that day.

I ate too many fiesta lime chickens, honey bbq riblet platters, quesadillas and sante fe chicken salads while I was there. Oh, the blondies too. Outside of going for half price wings after OKC Thunder wins when I lived in Oklahoma City, i've eaten food from there 3 times in 12 years.

Raven117

Gold Member
How dare a group of people decide what to eat and how to spend their money!

The nerve of these people....

How dare they seek out bargains and quality...How dare they support local enterprises.

How dare they seek convenience and lower costs.

Geesh, millennials.

I remember eating at Buffulo Wild Wings and thinking about how poor the quality was vs the value proposition. Better to go get wings at the Chinese place for half or just make my own for a quarter of the price.

TheGrue

Don't see how this reflects poorly on Millennials. I was born in 1972 and I think those chains are shit and don't go to them, either.

Millennials are killing the chains? Or are the chains shitty and not responding well to increased competition? FFS the Millennial demonization is ridiculous.

y2dvd

Millennials are getting the blame for everything lately lol. Sounds like everyone have been using 'millennials' synonymous to hipsters lately.

TylerD

There used to be 3 W's (Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck), shortened to Buffalo Wild Wings. It's still referred to as BW3, though.

I see!

2457102497_81fd86ee1c.jpg

border

Maybe if they served food that tasted better than a frozen dinner, they wouldn't have to worry about competing with grocery stores.

BamfMeat

I was going to respond like he did. Knowledge bomb, son.

Also, fuck the BW3 haters. Both them and wingstop are my jam. Except I don't order wings, I order boneless "wings" with a shitton of sauces on the side, so my opinion can be discounted.

I remember eating at Buffulo Wild Wings and thinking about how poor the quality was vs the value proposition. Better to go get wings at the Chinese place for half or just make my own for a quarter of the price.

Dude, fried chicken at American Chinese joints is secretly the best kind of chicken wings.

v3numb

Asian Zing is just the sauce though, not the preparation method. If I like the sauce why wouldn't I just buy that and make my own chicken at home? It'd still be cheaper overall and at least I care enough about the quality of the food I eat so as not to overcook it into chicken jerky.

psyfi

Banned
I'm 32 and I've never been to either one. I used to love me some Red Robin, but those giant ass portions are too much for me now.

Besides, I'd rather eat somewhere local.

Ernest

Banned
One of the issues is that these restaurants feel that they need to have HUGE menus, that have everything under the sun, so they can appeal to the widest range of people possible. But when you try to be for everyone, you end up being for no one.

Problem with a huge menu is that there's no way any kitchen can actually prepare all that food fresh. So almost everything is frozen, ready to make in plastic bags. If these places paired down their menus to what they can make best, fresh, they'd do better repeat business. But then you'd also need talented cooks/chefs to pull that off properly.

Their sauces aren't bad at all, but every time I have been, the quality of the wings themselves are terrible. Might just be my location, but they have no idea how to cook wings.

I believe in your, Millennials. Finish what you started, and finally wipe out Capitalism once and for all.

What is it about consumer culture where the blame is on people choosing not to spend money on the object? If enough people choose that they don't need to spend their money on X, why is it on them and not the companies refusing to adapt to changing markets?

I love BWW, when I new one opened I stayed up all night to get a "free wings for a year" booklet. Got me some Jerk, Zing, and Dry rub Chipotle. Went downstairs to Taco bell to get a Baja freeze for a dollar and boom perfect lunch. But they are too expensive other wise. Would rather have Popeye's.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Problem with a huge menu is that there's no way any kitchen can actually prepare all that food fresh. So almost everything is frozen, ready to make in plastic bags. If these places paired down their menus to what they can make best, fresh, they'd do better repeat business. But then you'd also need talented cooks/chefs to pull that off properly.

Yep. It really stands out when you're in a big city with a bunch of local chef-driven restaurants with smaller and often changing menus based on what they can get fresh locally.

Esiquio

It could be the fact that Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's have terrible food that's killing them

Agreed - a lot of these chains suck, I don't care if they go under. Shitty food across the board, I don't eat at a lot of chain restaurants anymore, especially living in Atlanta, there's so much good ass food.

Newline

It's hilarious that in a capitalistic society the consumers are being blamed for a companies failure. How about they try and adapt to a shifting market or accept their irrelevance.

linkboy

It's hilarious that in a capitalistic society the consumers are being blamed for a companies failure. How about they try and adapt to a shifting market or accept their irrelevance.

It's the United States, you know, where nobody is responsible for their actions, it's always someone else's fault.

I like BWW, Applebee's wings are the worst. But the real issue is that I don't have the patience for sit-down restaurants with waiters. I prefer Chipotle or even get something from the supermarket as the article says

Millennials don't like B dubs? That's news to me. They are a bit spendy but I enjoy going there to watch the NFL games. It tends to have a nice atmosphere for sports. Wings are pretty delicious too imo.

Applebees is well...I'm not terribly shocked they're facing difficulties.

Tawpgun

Hey, I would totally eat at casual dining spots if, oh I dunno, I could find a job with a decent wage in a place where living is affordable.

I think for most millennials, myself included, eating out is too expensive, and yes, time consuming. So when we do eat out it should be a treat. Not applebees.

If I had more money and time I'd totally go to a TGI Fridays or something. I used to live a few blocks from one for 3-4 years and never went in.

Why are chicken wings dipped in hot sauce and served with carrots and celery and called Buffalo Wings in the US? Last time I checked buffalos (the four legged animal) didn't have wings. And (generally) they don't come covered in Buffalo sauce either.

Not trying to be funny. Honest question.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why are chicken wings dipped in hot sauce and served with carrots and celery and called Buffalo Wings in the US? Last time I checked buffalos (the four legged animal) didn't have wings. And (generally) they don't come covered in Buffalo sauce either.

Not trying to be funny. Honest question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wing

Because wings in that style of sauce originated in Buffalo, New York.

I grew up poor. Growing up, applebees and chilies and T.G.I. Friday's were always out of my price range. Then in high school all my friends were from middle class homes and so I would periodically tag along to those places. They seemed amazing to me.

After college I was back to making ends meet, and so I relied more on cooking at home or eating more fast food priced options.

Then places like Chipotle and Panera came around and if felt like the right balance between fast food and sit down chain restaurants. So that's what I've stuck with when I need something more than fast food but don't have time to cook at home.

The only place I have a soft spot for now is Red Robin, and that's because of a tradition after an annual furniture giveaway for international students. So yeah I go there once a year haha...

Also, as a millennial I don't mind the stories being framed this way. They generally go into the actual differences with us as a demographic, and if it gives attention to that, the great. "Yes, we killed it, because it failed to adapt and was fit to die... it's the playing out of capitalism, man."

Toxi

Banned
Go to gaming side and the mindset that consumers are to blame for a company's failures is depressingly common.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
BW3 is overpriced, but as a parent it's a nice option because it's generally already kinda loud so they can let it rip and there's 400 TVs to district a 4-year old while you actually ingest some food.

I worked at chilis for a year or two in college. Havent eaten there since i quit.

That style of casual food just sucks. I work hard for my money and spend a lot eating out. But its for damn sure not going to be a casual sit down restaurant.

I wonder how much of the decline of BWW is attributable to Wing Stop. I always get my wings to go now, and it's cheaper.

To echo other comments, the implication that Millennials owe these businesses their loyalty and money is fucking asinine. If you want us buying your shit, make it worth our (little) money.

linkboy

So why are they blaming millennials instead of a dying business model?

Because everything wrong with the world is millennials fault, haven't you heard.

Also, that would require people to admit that they screwed up somewhere, and if there's one thing Americans are really bad at, it's admitting they screwed up.

It's much easier to deflect the blame onto someone else.

As a Millenial™, I find myself rarely going to sit-down restaurants because it's more hassle than I'm looking for to have the host find me a table, then wait for the server to get to me and relay an order to them, then have to wait for them again to get the check, etc etc. I'd just like to walk up to the counter, place an order, pay for it and then pick up the food/have it brought to my table all from the start. I also wander around my little nook of LA by myself often, and it just seems unnecessary to go to some traditional restaurant when I'm just looking to grab a bite for myself and then move on with my day.

And when there is an occasion to go to a traditional restaurant, I'm not gonna go to some giant chain restaurant with a bunch of gimmicky entree items like Olive Garden or Applebee's. I'm going to go somewhere unique and at least seemingly authentic because generally if I'm going to that type of restaurant it's a special occasion, and celebrating such an occasion at a Chili's sounds super depressing. That said, I live pretty much in the heart of a city now where you actually have to go out of your way to get to those chains anyway, as they're usually in the suburbs. Back when I lived in a small town (about 15,000 people), your options outside of chain restaurants were pretty slim, so I understand frequenting Outback or whatever if it's basically all you've got.

I just think more people are generally aware of how shitty those places are for you as well. And they're not really cheaper than some great, local restaurant you more than likely have in your home town. It's just high calorie, high salt slop made from questionable ingredients from a giant conglomerate that will cut corners at every chance they can to affect their bottom line.

Support your local business, I bet they have great wings for a similar price. BW3 sucks and I'm glad the younger generation isn't spending what little money they have at places like it.

Top Bottom