• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos is Going on Real Time with Bill Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there's also a huge market for liberals who will call out other liberals for being too mean/too cowardly/needing safe space/ being PC/ whatever aka being "one of the good ones."

See Chait, Jonathan.

Yep. It's funny because those same people usually don't handle criticism well at all either. I bet Maher doesn't respond to his complete ignorance being called out at all or finds something else to whine about.

Bill Maher came across very weak and ignorant there. Just let the guy talk talk talk and never truly challenged anything or had anything more than the knowledge of someone who googled Milo's name a year ago while sitting on the toilet. If you're going to interview someone controversial, do some research so you can add more than "you hate Leslie Jones" and "You singled out a transgender woman". He actually seemed clueless other than what his intern wrote on his little cards.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ask for stats. Look it up. Not agree. You really never turn it off..

Im telling you Bill has been high as fuck the last few episodes and he has admitted it, combo of the Trump nightmare and legal rec weed. Bill was always a softie with people. I mean im just sad right now cause the dude was one of the few i could look forward to every week in this trump nightmare thats giving me panic attacks and physical illness and he is playing footsie with Milo. He needs to apologize.

Abelard

Nah, Maher is weaksauce as a voice for the left for as uninformed he is on matters that we nerds even know more about on facts.

Samantha Bee, John Oliver, and Seth Meyers are stronger voices for the American left on TV.

I agree with Oliver, but the other 2 are meh. Bee doesn't come off as very rational or intelligent, whereas Meyers is the vanilla ice cream of liberals on TV. Maher, for all his faults is at least an intellectual and willing to entertain alternate views. In this way he is like Jon Stewart, who even had a rapport with O'Reilly.

Toxi

Banned
I agree with Oliver, but the other 2 are meh. Bee doesn't come off as very rational or intelligent, whereas Meyers is the vanilla ice cream of liberals on TV. Maher, for all his faults is at least an intellectual and willing to entertain alternate views. In this way he is like Jon Stewart, who even had a rapport with O'Reilly.
He certainly didn't show it tonight.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You kidding? Bee has been killing it. And Maher is not like Stewart, when Stewart has someone crazy on he comes packing. There's a huge fucking difference between Bill O and Milo.

Also, Maher is the furthest thing from an intellectual. An intellectual would not have let Milo slide at all.

Samantha Bee is a goddamn national treasure.

Well, first off Samantha Bee has done numerous interviews with people that she vehemently disagreed with. I didn't know that was the definition of being an intellectual.

Bill is a stoner not an intellectual

Discourse

Bill Maher personifies everything that is wrong with American liberalism. His years of anti-intellectual Islamophobic rantings have been nectar to the ears of the far right and Fox News crowd. From my non-American perspective, he's not liberal or leftist at all. He's a bigot who hides behind a mask of being politically incorrect. This is not the first time he's shown his ignorance towards transgender people's cause either.

Bill clearly wanted to show he could bring Milo on the show without the presumption there would be a cage match. Just an introductory interview and letting him stand on his own on the panel where anyone who was listening would notice that everyone else who spoke outplayed Milo on every level.

Im telling you Bill has been high as fuck the last few episodes and he has admitted it, combo of the Trump nightmare and legal rec weed. Bill was always a softie with people. I mean im just sad right now cause the dude was one of the few i could look forward to every week in this trump nightmare thats giving me panic attacks and physical illness and he is playing footsie with Milo. He needs to apologize.
No excuse. If dude can't be bothered to move a finger and Larry has to do the heavy lifting on a hotbed social issue that A) shouldn't exist it's public bathrooms for fuck sake and B) is everywhere now, he should know, high or not

No excuses.

Why is Bill getting more shit than Milo

Because the entire controversy was how dumb it was to have Milo on the first place. Not only did he prove prove that notion right, he actually made things worse with his ignorance

Everyone knows Milo is a human cumstain.

Boke1879

Ask for stats. Look it up. Not agree. Does fact checking for everyone else. You really never turn it off..

The man has a team of producers and shit. he could have gotten anyone of them to do the research if he didn't want to and have them brief him.

Or better yet. It's HIS show. Be the moderator and bring in someone who knows about this shit to debate Milo while you guide the conversation.

Bill clearly wanted to show he could bring Milo on the show without the presumption there would be a cage match. Just an introductory interview and letting him stand on his own on the panel where anyone who was listening would notice that everyone else who spoke outplayed Milo on every level.
But this will get spun because all Milo needs to do is have his media people just cut all that out and do nothing but cut Maher agreeing with him

That's all he needs to win more support and spread more hate.

Boke1879

Because Milo is charming. Even to people who hate him.

Its a strange thing to see really.

He's "charming' but really. We all knew Milo was going to spout bullshit and say disgusting things. There isn't anything I can say that we all haven't said already.

Bill was supposed to debate him, yet instead he clearly didn't do his homework and got showed up. Hell he even agreed it's ok to discriminate in some cases. That's why he's getting shit. Because really. He's no ally.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My God the Republican they had on that panel was the most generic, stereotypical, cackling canker sore of a white conservative. What a terrible guest.
He's been on for years now. Maher is in this position where only a handful of Conservatives are willing to go on his show, so he just has regulars who are willing to do the dog and pony show.

Watching now.

Milo looks visibly irritated when called out by the other panel members. He also rushes to Bill to try to get him to defend him.

He also gets a big smile on his face whenever anyone is focusing their attention on him

I've seen little of Milo outside of this video, but I am starting to believe that he is simply a narcissist that will say/do anything just to get any sort of attention to feed his ego. Not saying that excuses anything he does mind you.

He thinks it's all a game. And he's right to a certain extent within his bubble it is a game, but there's agents within the rightwing he defends that would financially support gangs, similar to Russia, in the US/UK who would kick the shit out of him and his boyfriend, and hold them down while tattooing expletives on their foreheads.

lmao don't compare Bill Maher to Jon Stewart and an intellectual? Haha

During the presidential campaign and even now during Trump's presidency, Bee, Meyers' A Closer Look, Daily Show with Trevor Noah, and Oliver were bringing out the fact-checking segments week in week out. They're constantly fighting for the marginalised and railing against rightist myths. All this transphobia stuff for example in this episode where Bill comes off as a dumb dumb, were all covered by these other channels already.

Bill Maher, not even close. Shit, people don't even make threads here for his "intellectual" segments.

Kthulhu

Ask for stats. Look it up. Not agree. Does fact checking for everyone else. You really never turn it off..

I agree.

I don't think Bill hate trans people or anything, but I hope he'll learn from this and adjust his viewpoints. Perhaps he'll invite a transgender activist on at some point?

Bill's far from the perfect liberal, and he's certainly not someone I'd call a progressive, but I do think he's better than this, and overall a good person despite his glaring shortcomings.

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe Bill isn't much better than most anti-PC liberals and fedora atheists and him using his platform is counterproductive.

It was like Milo going to daddy Bill for comfort at points. Save me Bill from these stupid people!

Probably why he turns his followers on people too. It's probably all just to feed his ego. Look at his comments pre GG vs post GG, the dude is unprincipled.

He clearly doesn't like being challenged in an environment where he doesn't have someone to support him. He has no evidence to back up his claims, so when he can't win with facts he tries to appeal to the crowd in order to make it look like he won (kind of like a certain politician that recently took office).

Not much to do other than to just ignore him. Sadly there is no block button from life, and as far as I know he isn't violating the 1st amendment and crossing over into anything he could be charged for (as much as I'd like to see him lose a court case).

Toxi

Banned
So Maher wasn't good against Milo?
milo_transphobia_bill_maher_by_digi_matrix-dazgak9.gif

Maher basically defended in a roundabout way the North Carolina bathroom bill, that has been opposed by such bastions of progressiveness as the NCAA and the NFL, as reasonable tonight by calling Milo's bullshit assertion, that such things are in defense of women and girl, reasonable.

He shrugged in cluelessness when Milo claimed trans folk are more likely to be sexual predators.

Hardly what I would call an intellectual.

He was completely ambushed by Milo's hatred.

Milo got away with insulting the audience directly, saying that he specifically targets people to harass, and simply responding to Maher's criticisms with "everyone but me is an idiot".

The only reasonable excuse for Maher's behavior was that he was completely ambushed by Milo.

Dude Abides

Banned
nah dude im gonna disagree. I dont want to fight other libs but ive watched him for years. The dude delivers some seriously on-point monologues on important topics. Everyone fucks up and tonight was big, so he is on notice with me before i drop off completely, but im not gonna completely shut people out of my sight at every slight.

From what I read on GAF, I thought he was supposed to be a super smart dude. What kind of smart person whose job it is to run a political talk show does not know anything about one of the most pressing political issues of our times (transgender issues)? He was completely useless. Sounds like they just gave anyone who doesn't put their pants on backwards a show.

And I just watched the main segment... puke. WARNING: not recommended for anyone with a sense of ethics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlC1eo2AFE

Maher is neither super smart nor particularly left. His old Politically Incorrect show was pretty much down the middle, and he made his bones mocking Dubya after Iraq, which is not exactly scaling the Mount Everest of political commentary. He has nothing to say about shit like income inequality, health care, or free trade or any complicated issue. He'll give you the kind of "liberal" view you'd get at any Santa Monica dinner party and nothing deeper or more thoughtful, because hes interested in superficial entertainment, not substantive policy issues. Which is fine as far as it goes, but that kind of facile and unthinking approach leads to getting played by someone like Milo.

D i Z

Bills shitty views and projections came crashing into reality when paired with Milo's.
Side by side, I think a lot of people got to see Bill mirrored by Milo's rhetoric and not just how they might usually view them when mirrored next to their own inner musings.
The idea that Bill was somehow outgunned or ambushed, or caught napping is laughable. Maher was not in opposition to Milo's talking points.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Maher is one of the weakest interviewers working in media today. Anyone who thought this was going to be anything other than Maher getting outmaneuvered by the troll has either never watched any of Maher's interviews or really hasn't been paying attention when they do watch them.

Thank god for Larry Wilmore, and fuck Comedy Central for removing him from the national media stage right when voices like his were needed most.

Tarydax

Banned

You're confusing being an intellectual with entertaining alternate views. Not all points of view are legitimate or even deserve to be considered. Maher - a guy who previously stuck up for anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists and painted them as having legitimate concerns - is far from an intellectual. Incidentally, Stewart and Bee are willing to entertain different points of view and have done so on their shows more than once, but they don't tolerate people like Yiannopoulos.

And out of all of those comedians, Maher is and always has been the weakest (and in most cases, laziest) interviewer by far. He's the definition of lightweight, and in this particular episode, he was on par with the likes of Jimmy Kimmel or Jay Leno. It was both sad to watch and expected.

Because everyone already knows what an awful person Yiannopoulos is. The shit Bill Maher is getting comes from how he was led around like a trained dog by an awful person who isn't very smart. Maher was absolutely pathetic here.

Kthulhu

Bill appears to be mostly, if not totally, ignorant on transgender issues. He seems to have had no idea what Milo was talking about.

I imagine his shrug was his way of saying "I don't know anything about this so I'm just gonna let the conversation progress without me". It's a shame, because I've seen Bill tear into people for saying less about other groups.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Maher is neither super smart nor particularly left. His old Politically Incorrect show was pretty much down the middle, and he made his bones mocking Dubya after Iraq, which is not exactly scaling the Mount Everest of political commentary. He has nothing to say about shit like income inequality, health care, or free trade or any complicated issue. He'll give you the kind of "liberal" view you'd get at any Santa Monica dinner party and nothing deeper or more thoughtful, because hes interested in superficial entertainment, not substantive policy issues. Which is fine as far as it goes, but that kind of facile and unthinking approach leads to getting played by someone like Milo.

I mean, you say that but as someone who is very politically active of late, ill again say the guy has done a damn good job delivering some very succinct viewpoints over the years on his show. I mean thats it. You can say he isnt smart but i simply disagree. The whole point of how 'left' he is is another matter since that gets complicated. Need a damn map of bullet points and their temperatures for that.

You're confusing being an intellectual with entertaining alternate views. Not all points of view are legitimate or even deserve to be considered. Maher - a guy who previously stuck up for anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists and painted them as having legitimate concerns - is far from an intellectual.

And out of all of those comedians, Maher is and always has been the weakest (and in most cases, laziest) interviewer by far. He's the definition of lightweight, and in this particular episode, he was on par with the likes of Jimmy Kimmel or Jay Leno.

Because everyone already knows what an awful person Milo is. The shit Bill Maher is getting comes from how Milo led him around like a trained dog. Maher was absolutely pathetic here.

If there is a Jimmy I'd align Maher with, it'd be Jimmy Fallon. People already compared his Milo interview with Fallon :p
This was Bill's equivalent of this moment:

giphy.gif

My God the Republican they had on that panel was the most generic, stereotypical, cackling canker sore of a white conservative. What a terrible guest.

He also campaigned for Trump on the trail, and claimed he had the e-mail in question that proved Hillary's camp started birtherism, but that it had been 'scrubbed' of all information that would prove it was from her camp in '08, and then refused to show it.

Interesting how none of that kind of stuff came up here.

Maher is one of the weakest interviewers working in media today. Anyone who thought this was going to be anything other than Maher getting outmaneuvered by the troll has either never watched any of Maher's interviews or really hasn't been paying attention when they do watch them.

Thank god for Larry Wilmore, and fuck Comedy Central for removing him from the national media stage right when voices like his were needed most.

The sad thing is, the last week of shows he did for The Nightly Show were exemplary. I'm hoping whatever he has cooking with Disney works out for him. Dude deserves it after tonight.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The sad thing is, the last week of shows he did for The Nightly Show were exemplary. I'm hoping whatever he has cooking with Disney works out for him. Dude deserves it after tonight.

i mean, what the hell type of deal could he have with DISNEY and be able to utilize his strengths, which is telling Milo 'go fuck yourself'.

Bill is a transphobic piece of shit.

Maher literally had next to no clue who Milo was before inviting him on and clearly didn't do anything beyond surface research going in.

Maher is a petty, ignorant, small-minded fool who can never get over a slight. He was angry about getting kicked from Berkley, so the second it happened to someone else, he booked them. That's literally all the thought he put into this.

Why am I completely unsurprised that Maher was totally weak and let Milo run all over his show and spread his shitty talking points?

Oh yeah because everyone was saying that. Maher is the human personification of a smug Reddit comment section and folds just as easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom