• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

Dying Light has unlockable moves. I don't see the problem here. it gives you a good sense of progression. Unless it has microtransactions! I can see EA saying "Buy moves card pack!"

Falchion

Dying Light has unlockable moves. I don't see the problem here. it gives you a good sense of progression. Unless it has microtransactions! I can see EA saying "Buy moves card pack!"

I got a platinum '08 Faith card!!!

I'm just so excited to do all the side stuff and explore the open world.

A-V-B

Dying Light has unlockable moves. I don't see the problem here. it gives you a good sense of progression.

Depends on what you're progressing towards.

If you're progressing towards having in-game "spells" that make the game easier to play, yeah, I can see that. But at the end of a day, it's an artifice overlaid across core gameplay.

If what you want is progression towards getting better at playing, then "unlocking skills" is just un-breaking your own legs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Redesign of Faith is pretty damn awesome, she looks great. Actual cutscenes instead of comic panels is much appreciated.

Preordered this already.

Edit: this thread, lighten up, christ. Big budget ME (this game really has no business existing) and you want to complain about trivial bullshit... forest for the trees, folks.

A-V-B

Redesign of Faith is pretty damn awesome, she looks great. Actual cutscenes instead of comic panels is much appreciated.

Preordered this already.

Edit: this thread, lighten up, christ. Big budget ME (this game really has no business existing) and you want to complain about trivial bullshit... forest for the trees, folks.

Game design is trivial bullshit? That's a fascinating perspective.

Are you really so excited about a brand?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Game design is trivial bullshit? That's a fascinating perspective.

Are you really so excited about a brand?
I've been doing this gaf thing a while... you'll need better bait.

I know it's a video game, but I just can't handle such a realistic looking game with a protagonist who can jump 10 feet up into the air.

It looks ridiculous.

Yeah, Mirror's Edge has Sonic the Hedgehog spring platforms now. *shrug*

I'm sure it'll be fun, but the awkwardness of it all just removes me from the experience.

It just looked exactly like the last game, but with really in your face visual cues.

A-V-B

I'm sure it'll be fun, but the awkwardness of it all just removes me from the experience.

It just looked exactly like the last game, but with really in your face visual cues.

I mostly agree. Faith has gone from being a top notch freerunner to a goddess of speed. She barely even stops when she's climbing stuff. She's like one of those things from Elfen Lied with phantom limbs propelling them along. Now the player's sense of physical connection to the world is lessened for the sake of brevity.

Whadya gonna do? From a distance, Catalyst seems to be a game defined not by strengths but by compromises.

Didn't people on this very forum complain about how slow the pipe climbing was in the original?

E: But I somewhat agree that this game doesn't "feel" as realistic movement-wise as the original, at least from the videos.

A-V-B

Didn't people on this very forum complain about how slow the pipe climbing was in the original?

I dunno, I wasn't there for that. But for me, it made pipe climbing feel a little more precarious. And a sense of danger is great when you're constantly a few feet away from plummeting to your death.

Parham

Banned
Maybe a little nitpicky, but the blue color on guards looks obnoxious and ugly.

The previous design looked much nicer:

mecat2xmrrz.png

mecat4y3qy9.png

gogognnqjf.png

mecat31qq52.png
If I had to guess, they made the change to improve the readability of the guards.

I'm not nearly as bothered by all the visual cues as some people seem to be. They've explained it in-world by saying Faith wears a device to overlay her vision. This worked well enough in Remember Me, not to mention Metroid Prime (which is admittedly somewhat different since you're in a full-on space suit)

Having easy, immediate visual cues is REALLY helpful in a game about going fast. You don't have time to interpret your surroundings.

As far as how realistic the movement feels... I feel like that's impossible to judge until we've actually played the game. Hard to judge a game's controls (that's essentially what it is) from watching gameplay footage.

really dislike this animation

Me too. Found it difficult to watch.

Worse part is the animation kicks in on some low drops where just putting the hands down animation would suffice. I can understand a huge drop and roll even though it's still hard to watch.

Graphics look really good though and I like the redesign of Faith

DOWN

Banned
I mostly agree. Faith has gone from being a top notch freerunner to a goddess of speed. She barely even stops when she's climbing stuff. She's like one of those things from Elfen Lied with phantom limbs propelling them along. Now the player's sense of physical connection to the world is lessened for the sake of brevity.

Whadya gonna do? From a distance, Catalyst seems to be a game defined not by strengths but by compromises.
Lol what a pessimist spin

A-V-B

Lol what a pessimist spin

You wanna read that post again? I said from a distance. That means without having played it. I'm trying to leave open room here without being wholly closed minded. The whole game may work brilliantly anyway and I just don't know it.

I'm not nearly as bothered by all the visual cues as some people seem to be. They've explained it in-world by saying Faith wears a device to overlay her vision. This worked well enough in Remember Me, not to mention Metroid Prime (which is admittedly somewhat different since you're in a full-on space suit)

Having easy, immediate visual cues is REALLY helpful in a game about going fast. You don't have time to interpret your surroundings.

As far as how realistic the movement feels... I feel like that's impossible to judge until we've actually played the game. Hard to judge a game's controls (that's essentially what it is) from watching gameplay footage.

This is true to an extent, though I've been watching more footage today and I'll tell you that vertical obstacles that aren't huge walls pose less impingement to Faith. In this clip, you can see Faith float up a chest-high wall like she was running up a short staircase.

https://youtu.be/FQDZfzTi8bo?t=49m45s

I don't know if that means it's lost a bit of challenge, or if there was a perfectly-executed button combination that we're not seeing which made it look like she was ghosting the wall, but either way it accelerates pacing.

And forced combat is definitely a thing. They've created new elements of gameplay that block progress until you kill everyone in sight.

For this mission, which is about disabling an antenna, the objective interface says "eliminate K-sec presence."

https://youtu.be/FQDZfzTi8bo?t=47m30s

You can see the player try to deactivate the antenna without fighting everyone, but there are three instances of null feedback on the attempt. So if anyone here was looking forward to speedrunning in one smooth, nonlethal flow, it might be time for a perspective shift.

Game looks good. The only negative is how intense the "runner shadow" waypoint thing is. I wouldn't mind a much more scaled back version of that occasionally. Hope that has degrees of intensity — figuring out where to go and how to get around is part of the fun for me, though it's probably helpful to be explicitly shown how to traverse certain obstacles initially.

A-V-B

Game looks good. The only negative is how intense the "runner shadow" waypoint thing is. I wouldn't mind a much more scaled back version of that occasionally. Hope that has degrees of intensity — figuring out where to go and how to get around is part of the fun for me, though it's probably helpful to be explicitly shown how to traverse certain obstacles initially.

The runner shadow is just part of the full Runners Vision feature. It can be turned off at any time, AFAIK.

DOWN

Banned
You can switch to the original game's version, which just uses red coloring on specific objects. You can also shut off the cues entirely for a bit more immersion if you understand what objects are interactive.

DOWN

Banned
The trail is awful. Did they invent that for colorblind people? I can't imagine anybody who can see the version from the original game needed even more in your face indicators to see a path.

It'll still be fun figuring out how to get around the old fashion way, unlocking new moves along the way.

This is going to be so much better than ME 1 :D

This is true to an extent, though I've been watching more footage today and I'll tell you that vertical obstacles that aren't huge walls pose less impingement to Faith. In this clip, you can see Faith float up a chest-high wall like she was running up a short staircase.

I don't know if that means it's lost a bit of challenge, or if there was a perfectly-executed button combination that we're not seeing which made it look like she was ghosting the wall, but either way it accelerates pacing.
I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. To my eyes, that looks like a wall Faith could have jumped up in the original game as well.

(Although you may well be more knowledgable about this kind of thing than I am. I've beaten Mirror's Edge more than five times, but I've never really gotten into the time trials and I've never been particularly skilled)

I don't have an issue with the forced combat either—provided that it's fun, which I think it has the potential to be. I just hope there isn't too much combat, overall.

Edit: And I don't think speedrunning and combat necessarily have to be opposite ends of a spectrum. DICE says they've designed the combat to be a natural part of your speed/momentum. Whether that works in practice remains to be seen, but I can certainly imagine a game where enemies are just another obstacle that need to be climbed on top of. Heck, that's how a lot of 3D platformers work, and Mirror's Edge is ultimately a platformer.

A-V-B

I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. To my eyes, that looks like a wall Faith could have jumped up in the original game as well.

(Although you may well be more knowledgable about this kind of thing than I am. I've beaten Mirror's Edge more than five times, but I've never really gotten into the time trials and I've never been particularly skilled)

I don't have an issue with the forced combat either—provided that it's fun, which I think it has the potential to be. I just hope there isn't too much combat, overall.

Edit: And I don't think speedrunning and combat necessarily have to be opposite ends of a spectrum. DICE says they've designed the combat to be a natural part of your speed/momentum. Whether that works in practice remains to be seen, but I certainly imagine a game where enemies are just another obstacle that need to be climbed on top of. Heck, that's how a lot of 3D platformers work, and Mirror's Edge is ultimately a platformer.

What will be will be, I suppose. I've just never enjoyed fighting in Mirror's Edge. Being chased was always more thrilling.

sonicmj1

You wanna read that post again? I said from a distance. That means without having played it. I'm trying to leave open room here without being wholly closed minded. The whole game may work brilliantly anyway and I just don't know it.

And forced combat is definitely a thing. They've created new elements of gameplay that block progress until you kill everyone in sight.

For this mission, which is about disabling an antenna, the objective interface says "eliminate K-sec presence."

You can see the player try to deactivate the antenna without fighting everyone, but there are three instances of null feedback on the attempt. So if anyone here was looking forward to speedrunning in one smooth, nonlethal flow, it might be time for a perspective shift.

I think you're being pretty hyperbolic here about the changes made to Faith's animations. That wall wouldn't have slowed her down much, if at all, in the original. In my casual observation of gameplay, I haven't noticed an appreciable difference from the first game.

The forced combat, on the other hand, actually does bother me. From what I've seen, the ways you can knock people down or out of the way while you move are pretty intuitive and look fun, but those seem to be a lot less practical when you're forced to fight a small handful of guys in a confined space. The standing hand-to-hand stuff may be an improvement over the original, but it's not what I want to do when playing this game.

Worse part is the animation kicks in on some low drops where just putting the hands down animation would suffice. I can understand a huge drop and roll even though it's still hard to watch.

I think the roll is player-initiated, so if it's kicking in on trivial drops, that's on whoever was at the controls.

Depends on what you're progressing towards.

If you're progressing towards having in-game "spells" that make the game easier to play, yeah, I can see that. But at the end of a day, it's an artifice overlaid across core gameplay.

If what you want is progression towards getting better at playing, then "unlocking skills" is just un-breaking your own legs.

Have you played Dying Light? if it's anything like that, I am fine with it.

A-V-B

I think you're being pretty hyperbolic here about the changes made to Faith's animations. That wall wouldn't have slowed her down much, if at all, in the original. In my casual observation of gameplay, I haven't noticed an appreciable difference from the first game.

I'm not trying to be hyperbolic. I guess I'm just sensitive to the timing. To me, it doesn't look like she's interacting as much with the surface. Same feeling I have with the new rolling animation.

People talk about "visceral combat" in games. I'm talking about "visceral running." But I'm a weird person.

The forced combat, on the other hand, actually does bother me. From what I've seen, the ways you can knock people down or out of the way while you move are pretty intuitive and look fun, but those seem to be a lot less practical when you're forced to fight a small handful of guys in a confined space. The standing hand-to-hand stuff may be an improvement over the original, but it's not what I want to do when playing this game.

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the latter footage of running to her destination, sliding on wires, jumping on guys, and moving on. But having to stop and fight? Isn't that what this new combat system was designed to get around? *shrug*

DOWN

Banned
There are gated combat sequences btw. I don't know how many, but basically it's like first person shooters where doors will be locked until all the baddies are dead.

Here's the same fight from two different players, so it's not just a lucky timing thing.

https://youtu.be/sb0Rq_ak0rM?t=1m31s
https://youtu.be/nXoe5Zsjl90?t=1m13s
That was like 2 people and didn't even interrupt a running sequence. She was working on one objective, walks into the fight room with 2 enemies, and gets on the elevator. They were placed where they didn't stop her momentum (she was literally walking from one stop to an elevator stop and got caught) and rather were part of beats of atmosphere and hunting for the objective. This ain't much to worry about.

ViciousDS

Banned

Graphics look really good though and I like the redesign of Faith

the constant rolling is because she will do it no matter what height as long as you are holding the (roll button since it wasn't clear enough) button right before landing for the most part.

It was the same way in the first one.....you had to train yourself to know which heights wouldn't effect you on the jump. All these videos though have the player jumping no matter what at every ledge.....it could be a simple fall and they still jump, which actually reduces their run speed and slows you down. It's a matter of the player learning heights and taking risk/reward for run speed. These videos show gameplay but they show the player having faith jumping.......even if the lip is a 6 inch drop lol.....just keep moving damn it!

I think impressions will be much better once we get to run in the world our self and not have a player rolling on every jump due to holding the button.

If the rolling is automatic......then we have a problem

OBias

The 30 minute gameplay video completely sold me on the game. My fears about DICE not capturing the spirit of the original game are alleviated. I don't even mind unlockable moves since the most important moves seem to be available from the beginning anyway. It's also nice that you can turn off the cues if you want.

How could they get this so wrong? Taking out guns altogether and putting all this emphasis on hand-to-hand combat was the wrong move. At least in the original game you can disarm a dude and fire a few bursts from an SMG to clear a path without slowing down. Having to run around an arena punching guys until you're allowed to hit a button is so un-Mirror's-Edge, for lack of a better term.

That video shows sniper enemies spawning on rooftops, and the game expecting you to just run straight into their bullets to go over and kick them. That's just a shooting section where you aren't allowed to shoot anyone.

the constant rolling is because she will do it no matter what height as long as you are holding the button right before landing for the most part.

It was the same way in the first one.....you had to train yourself to know which heights wouldn't effect you on the jump. All these videos though have the player jumping no matter what at every ledge.....it could be a simple fall and they still jump, which actually reduces their run speed and slows you down. It's a matter of the player learning heights and taking risk/reward for run speed. These videos show gameplay but they show the player having faith jumping.......even if the lip is a 6 inch drop lol.....just keep moving damn it!

I think impressions will be much better once we get to run in the world our self and not have a player rolling on every jump due to holding the button.

If the rolling is automatic......then we have a problem

You might want to replay the original again as you've got that wrong.

In Mirrors Edge Left Bumper is the jump button. If you jump and keep holding the button nothing happens actually you just land normally. You have to you press the Left Trigger (a separate button no less) upon landing to initiate a roll.

I've just played it and tested jumping from a variety of heights. Not once does the roll happen, not once does it happen while holding down the button.
I think the roll is player-initiated, so if it's kicking in on trivial drops, that's on whoever was at the controls.

This still is a possibility. If the controls are like the original then many players are pressing a different button upon landing no matter what height. That would be an odd way to play unless you like to see that roll animation. With so many rolls I'm not so sure. I hope its the player doing these unnecessary rolls by pressing a separate button just before landing like in the first game.

ViciousDS

Banned
You might want to replay the original again as you've got that wrong.

In Mirrors Edge Left Bumper is the jump button. If you jump and keep holding the button nothing happens actually you just land normally. You have to you press the Left Trigger (a separate button no less) upon landing to initiate a roll.

I've just played it and tested jumping from a variety of heights. Not once does the roll happen, not once does it happen while holding down the button.

you might want to re-read my comment as the roll button was exactly what I was talking about not the jump button

hence the mention of automatic rolling at the end of that comment

unless just jumping around has rolling as an automatic animation, these gameplay videos are poorly showing what a normal ME player would do

- That HUD
- That trail to the next objective
- Mandatory combat sequences
- Basic movement functions locked behind unlocks

I feel like I wished for a new Mirror's Edge with a monkey's paw.

sonicmj1

This still is a possibility. If the controls are like the original then many players are pressing a different button upon landing no matter what height. That would be an odd way to play unless you like to see that roll animation. With so many rolls I'm not so sure. I hope its the player doing these unnecessary rolls by pressing a separate button just before landing like in the first game.

It's definitely a thing that can happen, both in the original and in this, if you're new to the game. It teaches you that you need to roll after a big drop to avoid a slow, damaging landing, but if you don't know yet what distance defines a damaging drop, then you might be inclined to err on the side of caution by rolling too much.

Top Bottom