• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories Import Impressions

Vuze

Thanks for this. Were you playing on a New 3DS?

As for the LOD itself, it's not perfect but not a bad way to do it given the 3DS's resolution and the need to save on system resources. Certainly better than removing the NPC from the scene altogether too.
Yeah, New 3DS here.
I'm kinda glad they have uncapped the framerate tho, atleast it runs 60 in houses and stuff. Guilkaran is probably the worst location in terms of framerate though.

Also there is a NTR plugin by speedfly for no encounters and speed walking multiplier for those that are in the same boat as me and hate the pointless minion fodder fights and slow overworld traveling in these sort of games =p

E: Btw, Capcpom went full retard and is striking all MH Stories content on YT. So be aware. RFG got all of his episodes deleted and got two copyright strikes, another buddy of mine got his whole channel taken down. It's ridiculous. I feel ashamed to have supported this company in the past years with double and triple dips.

BriBri

I'm over 35 hours in now and am having so much fun. The volcano bosses were the first true test though. I'm guessing I'm near the end?

^^and sucks regarding Capcom removing YouTube content.

Dingens

Yeah, New 3DS here.
I'm kinda glad they have uncapped the framerate tho, atleast it runs 60 in houses and stuff. Guilkaran is probably the worst location in terms of framerate though.

Also there is a NTR plugin by speedfly for no encounters and speed walking multiplier for those that are in the same boat as me and hate the pointless minion fodder fights and slow overworld traveling in these sort of games =p

E: Btw, Capcpom went full retard and is striking all MH Stories content on YT. So be aware. RFG got all of his episodes deleted and got two copyright strikes, another buddy of mine got his whole channel taken down. It's ridiculous. I feel ashamed to have supported this company in the past years with double and triple dips.

well I'm not really surprised since they are pretty much the only company that prohibits screenshots on miiverse...

BriBri

The Unicorn boss now. I just got destroyed! The end is in sight though. An awesome game. 40 hours and counting...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The Unicorn boss now. I just got destroyed! The end is in sight though. An awesome game. 40 hours and counting...

Thats good to hear - have you had time to try out the Multiplayer options yet ?

Psyfer

I don't know any japanese, but I'm having fun struggling through the game, using the scan and translate feature from Google Translate to get by.

I'm up to the hot spring in the snow area, and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of things. When do I get to create my own equipment, if ever? If I can't, what are all the monster parts for?

The 4th tab in the inventory screen, right between what I'm guessing is Battle Items (though the EXP juices and other stat items are in there too) and Materials, is that tab all things to sell? I've been hoarding it not knowing if I'd need any of it for a quest.

When picking up an egg, is there anyway to tell for sure what I'm getting? It seems that the message only tells me about the egg's weight.

I noticed in battle, a specific series of attacks results in the 3rd attack doing a ton of damage, like Red>Red>Green. It doesn't seem to happen all the time, is it monster specific? What exactly is happening here? I'm never fast enough to get a picture with Google Translate.

I really hope this game comes to the west soon. I'll likely finish it the way I'm going now, but even with Google Translate giving me a rough idea, I know I'm missing a ton of what's happening in the story. Chevall disappeared a while ago and I still have no idea why. I'm not sure what's wrong with the girl you find in the cave (I think her name is Ayuri?) or why we're helping her, or what we're helping her with. Fighting and collecting eggs is a lot of fun though :)

Dragoshi1

I use this guide for figuring out the eggs. Since I was sick of Aptonoths.

Shove the names into google translate with "Monster Hunter" before them and you'll get an image of what the egg belongs to.

Psyfer

I use this guide for figuring out the eggs. Since I was sick of Aptonoths.

Shove the names into google translate with "Monster Hunter" before them and you'll get an image of what the egg belongs to.

I found this guide earlier today after making my post, and it looks pretty helpful. Details the smell/weight stuff too. I'll probably use the two guides together when I start to farm for what I want.

Boogiepop

I think a lot of that will depend on how well the entire multimedia aspect is received in Japan. If the series takes off, then I think that will help make it more attractive to anime companies in the west and, by proxy, drum up a lot more interest for the game itself beyond diehard MH fans.

Funimation already snagged up the anime license, actually, so that's not really an issue. It's just the game (and I guess in turn amiibo) that remain in question.

Vuze

I don't know any japanese, but I'm having fun struggling through the game, using the scan and translate feature from Google Translate to get by.

I'm up to the hot spring in the snow area, and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of things. When do I get to create my own equipment, if ever? If I can't, what are all the monster parts for?

The 4th tab in the inventory screen, right between what I'm guessing is Battle Items (though the EXP juices and other stat items are in there too) and Materials, is that tab all things to sell? I've been hoarding it not knowing if I'd need any of it for a quest.

When picking up an egg, is there anyway to tell for sure what I'm getting? It seems that the message only tells me about the egg's weight.

I noticed in battle, a specific series of attacks results in the 3rd attack doing a ton of damage, like Red>Red>Green. It doesn't seem to happen all the time, is it monster specific? What exactly is happening here? I'm never fast enough to get a picture with Google Translate.

I really hope this game comes to the west soon. I'll likely finish it the way I'm going now, but even with Google Translate giving me a rough idea, I know I'm missing a ton of what's happening in the story. Chevall disappeared a while ago and I still have no idea why. I'm not sure what's wrong with the girl you find in the cave (I think her name is Ayuri?) or why we're helping her, or what we're helping her with. Fighting and collecting eggs is a lot of fun though :)
You don't really craft equip in this game, you fulfill sub quests to get it (which consist of delivering materials). I think this is available to you once you reach Guilkaran shortly.

I think you're talking about the "Facility" tab or sth. It includes cash items, prayer items etc. Look for the Pure Crystal there and remember the material type to find items that you can sell without negative impact (atleast I think so).

Yes, the colors and pattern of an egg tell you which monster is in it. The weight tells you about the stats i think. There is a Japanese site with all egg patterns but unfortunately I don't have the link handy on mobile. Perhaps sb else can chime in.

This game features combos, i.e. Power>Power>Tech for great sword that have varying effects upon completion. For GS, I think all three combos do double damage but not sure about other weapons. Again, some Japanese website has all combos and effects listed but don't have it handy right now :(

I think Cheval
went full retard because his mother got killed in the narga incident at the beginning of the game. Just combining the anime background and the fact it was his home that got destroyed
. Then again this might be too dark for a kids game so idk :p As for why you're helping Ayuri, no idea in particular. Probably because you found her freezing to death in the Tarje Snowfield? lol

BriBri

Just one last question: any tips on defeating the final, final, final boss? I died twice and Nabiru only has 7 more. Thanks!

Vuze

Cheval is suck a dick! Poor Ian :(
That
Mount Therion
sequence was quite something! First time I actually cared about the story happenings lol.

kubus

Anyone still playing?

I finally started this Friday and I'm hooked! The gameplay is surprisingly fun and the graphics are just amazing. The game hardly stutters on New 3DS, with the exception of the main hub town of which I keep forgetting the name.

Anyone know when you unlock Tournament mode? I really can't wait to unlock the Link costume... Already got the Master Sword and Hylian Shield and it looks so cool :D

Nintendad

Anyone still playing?

I finally started this Friday and I'm hooked! The gameplay is surprisingly fun and the graphics are just amazing. The game hardly stutters on New 3DS, with the exception of the main hub town of which I keep forgetting the name.

Anyone know when you unlock Tournament mode? I really can't wait to unlock the Link costume... Already got the Master Sword and Hylian Shield and it looks so cool :D

I just started it today. How do you unlock Link stuff? I was also wonder what the different Amiibo do in the game.

kubus

I just started it today. How do you unlock Link stuff? I was also wonder what the different Amiibo do in the game.
Nice! I beat it a few weeks ago. I really loved the game. The Zelda dlc is exclusive to Japanese 7-Eleven conbinis, and they're not distributing the first set anymore. The second set (with Epona and Majora's Mask) will be distributed from this week friday until somewhere in January.

I don't know if any other amiibo work with the game, but the Navirou amiibo unlocks "Navirou's favorite Aptonoth" and the two Rider amiibo both unlock a special One-eyed Rathalos if I'm not mistaken. I don't have the new amiibo wave yet, so I don't know what they do, but I assume they'll just unlock more monsters.

Nintendad

Nice! I beat it a few weeks ago. I really loved the game. The Zelda dlc is exclusive to Japanese 7-Eleven conbinis, and they're not distributing the first set anymore. The second set (with Epona and Majora's Mask) will be distributed from this week friday until somewhere in January.

I don't know if any other amiibo work with the game, but the Navirou amiibo unlocks "Navirou's favorite Aptonoth" and the two Rider amiibo both unlock a special One-eyed Rathalos if I'm not mistaken. I don't have the new amiibo wave yet, so I don't know what they do, but I assume they'll just unlock more monsters.

That's a bummer about me missing out on Link!

So I used my One-Eyed Rathalos Amiibo and got one. The problem is I can't actually use em for some reason. Any reason why?

kubus

That's a bummer about me missing out on Link!

So I used my One-Eyed Rathalos Amiibo and got one. The problem is I can't actually use em for some reason. Any reason why?

I'm pretty sure that Rathalos is a Rare Lv 5 monster, so you won't be able to use him until you've upped your Kizuna Stone level to level 5. This happens gradually during the story, so just keep playing :).

Weils

Neo Member

The official JP website does mention that the Zelda DLC is timed exclusive for JP 7-Eleven, so the 2 sets will come out later in an update, most likely some time after the 2nd set ends mid-January.

I'm getting the Cheval and Rathian amiibo, and it will unlock Cheval's Rathian. Ayuri's Barioth and Dan's Qurupeco will do the same.

Wish the game at least included an option to ride the elder dragons (besides Kirin), but otherwise they will be too overpowered...

Loving this game so far, about to go look for the hot springs. Also looking forward to the big summer patch, that looks cool.

...But why is there a monster that looks kinda like a flying penis? o_O

Top Bottom