• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds Early Previews are coming Up

Draugoth

Gold Member
Blogposts:

Videos
:

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

car sliding GIF

ll watch absolutily nothing till release

iHaunter

Did they say if there's local co-op? Or are they sticking with that clunky online mode from the last game?

ungalo

The world seems very ambitious, which could explain why there is no visual gap with World.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh I'm going to enjoy YouTube after work tonight.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Boy do i love the clickbait titles like you are not ready for X title :lollipop_squinting:

Not reading anything, mh world team is gonna deliver.

Comandr

Lmao previews? This doesn't come out for a year+.
Probably closer to 8-9 months. Strong chance it will be out before the end of the fiscal year at the end of march.

My personal prediction is demo in December and release in mid January.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mantles are back? That's a big fucking turd right there.

Also, not being able to coop all content? That's horrible. There's a reason I play my favorite MonHun-game with this mod:
RppoBnN.png

Killjoy-NL

Really happy to hear towns are within each biome and that you can just linger around at your own leisure after completing a quest.
Those were my only real complaints about MHW. Absolutely hated the missions-structure.

Day 1.

Last edited:

Tomi

This will explode on steam on day one
I think it will hit over 1 million peak at first week, maybe even higher
Day -1!!!!

Comandr

Holy shit just finished Max's impressions. Beyond excited. I'm hyped af. Just let me give you my money.

Stafford

New footage too? I don't have time to read any of this now, but do they mention other locations than the sandy area we've mostly seen? The beauty of World was the diverse locations.

Fbh

Other than the base camps having to be maintained, which sounds like yet another unnecessary time wasting mechanic in a franchise full of them, it sounds great

The world seems very ambitious, which could explain why there is not visual gap with World.

I'd bet money that the main reason this doesn't have a particularly big visual gap is that they want it running decently on the Switch 2.
Which is honestly a blessing because after playing World at 60fps and rise at up to 120fps on Ps5, going back to having to play at 30fps (or even worse, an unlocked 30 like Dragons Dogma 2) would be a dealbreaker.

Guesses to when this releases? Ideally it's January 2025 just like World did in 2018.
March 2025 at the earliest. But no release date yet, and they keep saying it's in "deep development", could be even later in the year. If we don't get a date by Gamescom I'd say it's Summer/Fall 2025.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm super hyped but isn't little early for previews.....this game doesn't come until 2025.

Stafford

Max is hyping it up like crazy, it sure sounds amazing but I can't help but find the visuals he shows are really not all that. For lack of a better word I find it a bit dull looking, the color tone I guess, with the sand and everything.

He does say that the world will look different after weather effects and what not, but sadly we don't see any of that ourselves. Meh.

I'm super hyped but isn't little early for previews.....this game doesn't come until 2025.
It was a behind-closed-doors 30 minute demo shown to press, not hands-on. Not at all unusual for a game of this scale at an E3-level event.

It was a much more common practice back in the "E3 days of yore", but still nice to see it happening occasionally.

Last edited:
Max is hyping it up like crazy, it sure sounds amazing but I can't help but find the visuals he shows are really not all that. For lack of a better word I find it a bit dull looking, the color tone I guess, with the sand and everything.

He does say that the world will look different after weather effects and what not, but sadly we don't see any of that ourselves. Meh.
Yeah, there's certainly much more to the game we have yet to see. They'll continue to drip-feed for the next 6-9 months I'm sure.

Here's the Noisy Pixel preview

Excerpt from it:
Combat in Monster Hunter Wilds looks as engaging as ever, with a mix of old and new mechanics. We saw the use of the Greatsword and Heavy Bowgun, each with unique advantages in different situations. The introduction of mountable combat was particularly exciting, allowing for strategic positioning and high-damage attacks. The demo concluded with a successful hunt, where we carved out our rewards from the fallen beast, which can be used to craft new gear. However, the adventure doesn’t end there; the open world of Monster Hunter Wilds encourages continued exploration and discovery, even after a hunt is complete.

Some quotes of interest from IGN's preview.

Where World disposed of individual zones in each region, Wilds removes loading screens between each region and its home-base town, now located right on the map itself

"Open world" after all!

As is tradition, the hunt I watched started off in town, where you can eat, manage your inventory, and craft weapons and armor with the encouraging new smithy, Gemma. However, this village was established within the Windswept Plains hunting locale with no loading screens separating it from the action. In fact, the entire 30-minute demo, from preparing in town to taking down a monster and exploring, was completely seamless.

Multiplayer is going to be incredible with this, even more seamless than it was in World, which was the best drop-in drop-out co-op experience I've ever had.

a new monster appeared to shake things up. This was the “Apex” of the plains – the new wyvern shown in the most recent trailer at Summer Game Fest.

So we know that monster was not the flagship like many thought, more equivalent to Legiana.

Eventually, the hunter was able to escape the new threat and tackle the alpha Doshaguma with the help of some NPCs called upon by an SOS Flare, a mechanic that allows you to “summon” other hunters seamlessly at will into your current hunt. When online, these would be other players, of course.

Upon a Power Clash, where the hunter fought off the Doshaguma with a Great Sword rammed in its mouth

A named game mechanic, I'm sure we'll get spammed with a tutorial about this. Could be the new monster riding mechanic?

Director Yuya Tokuda said the Palico now having a voice helps the player understand what’s happening, as there are a lot of “environmental changes” and “things happening in real time.” For example, the Palico spoke and said, “Shock trap’s down and ready for you” in the demo. I can definitely see the audio cues being helpful when it’s difficult to read text in the middle of the action, but Tokuda-san assured me you can change the voice back to the familiar meows of cat-speak if you choose.

Cat language confirmed for Palicos if the voice acting is disturbing you.

Wounds will appear on the monster as you fight it. This is a system related to Focus Mode, which allows you to specifically target attacks and guards where you aim the cursor. When you enter Focus Mode, Scoutflies will highlight the wounded areas in red. Attacking those wounds specifically, either in or outside Focus Mode, will eventually destroy them and couse damage. There are even special moves for each weapon designed to destroy wounds more quickly.

Focus mode sounds much needed considering how many monsters there can be in a fight and how chaotic it can get. Good idea to help train newbs on Weakness Exploit.

Each biome in these “Forbidden Lands” have different environmental phases, and different materials will only be available during certain times. For example, the Windward Plains has dry and abundant phases, punctuated by sandstorm weather events that have severe lightning strikes.. Great Thunderbugs only appear in the plains during those thunderstorms.

We knew about Windward Plains from a prior trailer but it seems like each environment will have its own weather cycle and they will all be different.

The Hunting Horn is returning to its style from World, but with some additional changes.

Would be nice to take some cues from Rise's improvements to HH, they really improved the weapon for normies.

The Light Bowgun and Heavy Bowgun have “received some of the most kind of broad action changes” of all the weapon types, Tokuda said.

I hope so, it's been pretty boring to play bowguns in the past couple games considering how many options they have given melee classes. Good chance I'll bring a bowgun as my backup to LS/GS/SNS.

Tokuda said they’ve made playing through the story in multiplayer a lot more convenient in Wilds than in World, but you won’t be able to play perfectly together in sync throughout the story as there are some story elements you’ll have to witness solo before matching back up. “We’ve introduced new features in the game so that in the background, you’re always connected,” Tokuda explained. “...so as soon as you’re able to go into a quest, it matches you up quickly and you can seamlessly go back into multiplayer gameplay.”

Not loving this, why can't players just watch the scenes together? Hopefully whatever they did makes this less of a pain, but it will still be jarring to need to split up if you are playing together from the start.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So why not just release the 30 minute video (or basically any video more than the recent trailers that don't show so much gameplay) to the public instead of have us read of it from "previewers" lol. It probably still doesn't show how the full game is, just tuned to stuff exciting for their smooth brains.

Last edited:

Stafford

So why not just release the 30 minute video (or basically any video more than the recent trailers that don't show so much gameplay) to the public instead of have us read of it from "previewers" lol. It probably still doesn't show how the full game is, just tuned to stuff exciting for their smooth brains.

Maybe GC, but I agree. I'm not gonna watch all these impressions videos, that just ain't it for me. Show it or otherwise nah.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Is there sos system in this game or the shitty mhr one ? I like the jump in and out sos feature

I rememwber mhr online play is the lobby system

Last edited:

I mean, he say it looks better then the trailer videos. But he can’t show deno videos

I hope they will learn from DD2's 30 fps isn't what people want with these kinds of games. Personally, if Monster Hunter Wilds doesn't have a 60 fps at launch, it's a no-buy for me!

I can't fucking wait for this!!!

Gunlance main here. Please Capcom, let me rocket around the field with my Gunlance like in Rise. That shit slaps so fucking hard!

bender

What time is it?
Still a little worried of how the design choices will affect the game play loop, but I'll be there day one regardless.

GymWolf

Gold Member
From reeeee:

It sounds like the philosophy for the weapon reworks in Monster Wilds is all about taking a step back from the highly Dynamic and often flashy combat mechanics seen in Monster Hunter Rise, and instead they're focusing on making the weapons feel more substantial rounded and true to their original forms this involves simplifying certain animations and then emphasizing the weight and impact of each attack.

Often mentioned across various previewers that the difficulty and time it takes to defeat a monster is more similar to World than Rise.

mr-bison-street-fighter.gif

Raven117

Gold Member
From reeeee:

It sounds like the philosophy for the weapon reworks in Monster Wilds is all about taking a step back from the highly Dynamic and often flashy combat mechanics seen in Monster Hunter Rise, and instead they're focusing on making the weapons feel more substantial rounded and true to their original forms this involves simplifying certain animations and then emphasizing the weight and impact of each attack.

Often mentioned across various previewers that the difficulty and time it takes to defeat a monster is more similar to World than Rise.

mr-bison-street-fighter.gif
Good. Just...yeah...Good.

Top Bottom