• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Day 1 Patch [probably DOESN'T decrease token rate]

Xenthar

and this is why i didn't pre-order and am waiting for the Ultimate Kollection. I knew day 1 buyers would have the shitter experience.

Shitter experience?
I....No...lol... Sarcasm? This is madness.

It's really sad to see so many people here skipping/waiting for a price drop for such a great game just because of totally pointless microtransaction and time saving add-on. Stupid publisher

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Put the pitchforks down, guys. The 2500 coin payout for beating the boss might be a "first time only" kind of thing. He poster might have just confused it for the patch.

Not ready to put pitchforks down yet as it still seems like there's been a payout drop post patch. Just not as ridiculously bad as it seemed.

Holy fuckshit WB. That's some seriously cunty behaviour. Good thing I don't particularly care for fighting games in general, or MK in particular (the games have always seemed seriously tacky to me) because we essentially should not support this shit.

Disgusting.

Edit: Welp, or maybe not. Guess we'll have to wait and see whether this is true.

ItIsOkBro

you get 500 koins for the first story mode fight.

200 for the last fight would make no sense. its gotta be 2500 down to 200 because our reddit source was repeating the fight over and over.

every gaming site that ran articles based on a post on reddit is a joke.

IISANDERII

And this is why post release review updates are brilliant. Because now Polygon or whomever can come back and say nah fuck your bullshit, and readjust their score viciously, appropriately downward.

Nope, but this practice is shady IMO. I'm not a fan of DLC content in terms of characters, coins, weapons, etc. You should earn such things in the game themselves by completing certain objectives.

The gaming business was doing fine before such things were introduced.

Sure, but the gaming industry is becoming increasingly expensive to produce content for at greater risk to the company in the event of failure. It is not the same industry it was even ten years ago. DLC and micropayment is one way for them to extend the life of their product and bring in extra revenue to fund the next big project.

I just wanted to clarify that I do agree this is shady as hell if they patched it in. My comment was in response to it being about the money.

Demon Ice

Banned
Wow

Glad I saw this thread before I bought the game today. Will be waiting til it hits a heavy sale. Absolutely cunt-tier move by the devs.

And this is why post release review updates are brilliant. Because now Polygon or whomever can come back and say nah fuck your bullshit, and readjust their score viciously, appropriately downward.

After preorders have already been picked up and first day walk-in sales have already been made...

At that point, WB already has your momey.

so random scrub from reddit who gets wrong idea f 2500 vs 200 boss battle (only first time is 2500) made GAF topic 6 pages of biasing

well done, we.

Kinsei

Banned
Wow

Glad I saw this thread before I bought the game today. Will be waiting til it hits a heavy sale. Absolutely cunt-tier move by the devs.

You should have read the rest of the thread. The "decrease" was due to fighting the boss again, not because of the patch.

Yeah, the game is fun but this is absolutely fucking vile. WB, HVS and NRS should be fucking ashamed for the things they're doing for this game.

Marcel

so random scrub from reddit who gets wrong idea f 2500 vs 200 boss battle (only first time is 2500) made GAF topic 6 pages of biasing

well done, we.

I think it's more like people have confidence in the unfortunate reality that game developers constantly try to put their grubby fingers in your wallet after first sale. People certainly got it wrong this time but it speaks to an atmosphere of distrust between customer and content provider.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I can't believe nobody that has the game has just done a quick check yet. If I had the game I would have uninstalled the game and just did a quick ladder without the patch to see how different it is. I'd have done that as soon as I saw this thread.

biteren

Here is how the "my mate said" post went down.
Did boss got 2500
Installed v1.1
Refought boss and got 200
Blames patch despite previous games giving you less for repeated boss battles.

so ill get the same before patch? he should gauged that with a normal fight.

LoveCake

I was thinking about picking this up as it sounds great & the reviews have been scoring very high, but i think i'm going to wait for the Komplete Edition after i have played DoA5:LR to death, i thought that all the DLC in that game was bad, but i'm going to hold off this for now.

Soon there is going to be a game (straw) that simply breaks the camels back with some crazy day one DLC or MicroTransactions in a full priced game, it just seems to be getting worse each time :(

Tansut

Sometimes I think some of y'all just itch for a chance to be outraged, justified or not.

Scummy if true, but I'm gonna need more than a reddit post to go off of first.

You know, there's a chance that all this may have been a big misunderstanding.

Here's what the reddit user was doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZNUfVy2xhQ

Basically using story mode chapter select to go back to the final boss and beat him over and over again, earning 2500 koins each.

Maybe with patch 1.01 you get 2500 koins the first time and then less coins for doing it again.

Side note, holy shit the story is REALLY 2 hours long. What the fuck

I am still checking through my footage as that wasn't the only time and location complaints about lower payouts occurred.

That being said all this shit does muddy the waters agreed.

Okay thanks for looking into this lets just hope its diminishing returns and not a cash grab by WB.

mclem

The curious thing here is I'm sort-of okay with part of this, in that accelerating progression for reviewers on a deadline does kind of make sense for simple reasons of expediency. That does raise an interesting question about how to review a grind, you can't really get a feel for the grind *and* a feel for the progression behind the grind in the time that's available; a reviewer on a deadline will only be able to represent one of them.

Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty scummy. But the problem at the heart of it is kind of a problem whether it's scummy or not.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
so am I downloading the patch or not, does it make any difference, did anyone from NR speak on this yet?
Don't download the patch. Have one fight. See how many coins you get. Quit game. Download patch. See how many coins you get. If they're the same then do nothing. If there's a difference then uninstall the game and install again without patch.

WHY HAS NOBODY DONE HIS YET?!

Beelzebubs

Don't download the patch. Have one fight. See how many coins you get. Quit game. Download patch. See how many coins you get. If they're the same then do nothing. If there's a difference then uninstall the game and install again without patch.

Too busy venting on here to actually play the game :p

LAM09

Sure, but the gaming industry is becoming increasingly expensive to produce content for at greater risk to the company in the event of failure. It is not the same industry it was even ten years ago. DLC and micropayment is one way for them to extend the life of their product and bring in extra revenue to fund the next big project.

I just wanted to clarify that I do agree this is shady as hell if they patched it in. My comment was in response to it being about the money.

I get what you're saying, but I personally don't support practice. Buying the actual game is all you should have to pay for, but with the exception of story based DLC's.

I can't believe nobody that has the game has just done a quick check yet. If I had the game I would have uninstalled the game and just did a quick ladder without the patch to see how different it is. I'd have done that as soon as I saw this thread.

Yeah, why's this taking so long to verify? It shouldn't be that hard.

I did this before I went to work. First fight prepatch I got 1000 coins. Did it again post patch, 500 coins.

So half gone?

I'm going off memory so I could be wrong. after work I'll try it and grab screen shots if no one has done it by then.

jond76

Banned
Shouldn't "Rumor" be put in the title? Instead of having speculation give people the wrong idea about the game?

Vire

Darn so everyone got their pitchforks and started twitter campaigns for nothing? darn darn darn

Sometimes I think some of y'all just itch for a chance to be outraged, justified or not.

Scummy if true, but I'm gonna need more than a reddit post to go off of first.

Thank god they only limited exclusive characters to pre-order bonuses and have micro transactions where you can buy easy mode fatalities.

Top Bottom