• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

vermadas

I've been playing this game for the past week or so. I think I'm rank 5 now. The game is finally starting to click with me, but I'm not enjoying it quite as much as Burnout Paradise last year.

+ Graphics are damn good. I love all the locales and the variety.
+ Love that every track has multiple routes and some routes work better than others depending on the vehicle class you're driving.
+ Vehicles seem pretty well balanced so far.
+ Pretty good boost management system.
+ Get a great sense of speed when using the hood camera, however...
- I prefer the 3rd person camera in racers, but it just doesn't feel right here
- Graphics are sometimes too realistic for their own good. So many of my crashes happen because I can't see turns or obstacles until I'm too close to react (this gets better with track memorization I guess). Sunrise/sunset/night driving sometimes makes this worse
- Sometimes the physics really piss me off. I'll be driving along in my buggy and I'll run over a small rock that I couldn't see, and suddenly my vehicle is flipping.

I should probably try the online multi sometime.

To avoid flipping tilt your controller in the opposite direction of whatever direction your car is about to flip
To take sharp turns without flipping, tilt the controller in the same direction that you are turning.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can you guys use the spoiler tags on the giant pictures. It makes it easier to load the page. And you dont have to scroll sideways that much.

Loudninja

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift Third Game Update: Speed and Adrenaline Rush

* Expansion: SPEED will be the first off the start line, and screams into view fully tanked up with MotorStorm goodness; 3 brand new tracks (Quicksands, Engorged and Dark Fire Swamp), 3 brand new track variants, 4 sweet new vehicles (sporting 3 paint jobs each) and a whole brand new 48-event Mini-Festival, ‘Speed Weekend’, packed with unlockable rewards, trophies and Microbadges.

* Expansion: ADRENALINE is racing along beside it, neck-and-neck, and bringing with it even MORE content! 3 MORE new tracks (Reefrunner, Brimstone and Hollowed Earth), 5 new track variants, 4 more exclusive new race machines (each with 3 liveries to choose from), 6 brand new characters (each sporting 3 different costumes), and a whole big fat stash of fresh new paint jobs for your existing vehicles.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...-third-game-update-speed-and-adrenaline-rush/

Goldrusher

Sounds like Adrenaline could be free.
Then again, they could have different pricing, maybe $6.99 and $4.99. With a $9.99 duo-pack.

Speed has a 48 event festival mode, rewards, microbadges & trophies.
Adrenaline has none of that ?

Damn six tracks, so thats why they were taking so long.

I thought M1's expansion tracks were surprisingly good (given DLCs general track record) especially that cross-bridge circuit, so hopes are high for this.

Unfortunately I hit a wall with M2's end game, I'll have to see if I can finish it up before this hits. The last 10-15 tickets are even more brutal than the first game.

Angst

Some pics from the EU Blog:

3573240451_02fc2dbbd2_o.jpg

3574047532_15062efec1_o.jpg

3573240627_16497d59c8_o.jpg

DarkUSS said:
/skims through the text searching for the word "free".

No, it's nowhere :(

You wouldn't expect doubling the game's content for nothing, would you? Particularly when the game itself has so much content already.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Damn six tracks, so thats why they were taking so long.

I thought M1's expansion tracks were surprisingly good (given DLCs general track record) especially that cross-bridge circuit, so hopes are high for this.

Unfortunately I hit a wall with M2's end game, I'll have to see if I can finish it up before this hits. The last 10-15 tickets are even more brutal than the first game.

The DLC tracks for MotorStorm 1 weren't all that special, they actually rehashed existing tracks and they only released two of them. Then they delayed another two small tracks that ended up being useless and they made a single pack with them.

However, these packs are really promising. They are going to take even less time to deliver and they're actually going to make a huge game almost twice as big.

Dante

They are so bad about picking screenshots to release for this game. Game looks fukkin jaw dropping in motion though you'd never know it by looking at official screenshots.

Thrakier

hukasmokincaterpillar said:

If you always want to get gold it's hard. If you just want to get through it's pretty easy. And it's way easier than the first one in every way...

Thrakier said:
If you always want to get gold it's hard.

Yep. I completely Willy Wonka'd M1 and don't intend to lose face with M2. :D

Maybe its because there's more tracks to master and they're a bit more open ended in general, but I'm finding the task significantly harder.

Erebus

Philanthropist said:
You wouldn't expect doubling the game's content for nothing, would you? Particularly when the game itself has so much content already.

The DLC tracks for MotorStorm 1 weren't all that special, they actually rehashed existing tracks and they only released two of them. Then they delayed another two small tracks that ended up being useless and they made a single pack with them.

However, these packs are really promising. They are going to take even less time to deliver and they're actually going to make a huge game almost twice as big.

Doubling the game's content for nothing? No. On the other hand, offering a new track or some vehicles at least for free wouldn't hurt them. They had promised us some free content after launch, I take that by this they meant the weekly livery add-ons :p

Help?

I haven't played the game in a while, so I started it up again yesterday and I noticed that I don't see the names over the vehicles(SP offline) anymore, how do I get the names over the vehicles once again. Did I disable or turn off something?

Ploid 3.0

After all of the GT vs Forsa fighting I got a urge to play Motorstorm PR again (been on hold because of other games coming out, now Uncharted beta). Maaann this game is jaw dropping. The lighting and the way the blinding sun makes some maps look is surreal. I guess i should take a picture of the race I was doing to go along with what I'm posting hah (love the ease of taking pictures).

Btw did they tweak the AI/difficulty at rank 7? It seem like I'm having no problem getting gold now, but maybe it's just a fluke and I'm playing easier events. I was stuck on one rank 7 race for days.

Oh and I'm so going to get that new dlc with all the new maps. It will be like an expansion pack, which is what I'd like better. I don't buy dlc, but expansion packs are like sequels of games at a cheaper price.

k12am0.jpg

bg5v9e.jpg

rr2ova.jpg

2rgc8hx.jpg

2qasspl.jpg

2zgu3de.jpg

2jgpy0.jpg

jjtmr5.jpg

24fwv39.jpg

30hwv92.jpg

avn2up.jpg

Also, this game in motion is a different beast from just looking at still pictures.

BeeDog

Awesome screenshots man. This is the only "old"-ish game I pop into my PS3 at occasions, and I get mesmerized anew every time by the graphics. Too bad I suck shit at it, and can't progress much at all. :lol :( Too infuriating.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I've gotten back into this in a big way since I finished uni for the semester.

Such an awesome game. There is no more visceral experience in gaming than first person view, driving through the pack through the water, fighting for front spot to hit a ramp. So awesome.

I think Im only up to rank 3 or 4 and its already starting to get tough. Im scared to think how hard it gets.

Unregistered007 said:
F*** that does it, sale +1, getting it Tomorrow, Are the Online Trophies hard ?

I bought the games yesterday, FutureShop is selling it for 29.99, I went to bestbuy and did a price match and they gave me another dollar off. 28.99 is a total steal. I game patching on PS3 is pretty horrible, I had to download a 415 mb patch.

Ploid 3.0

Unregistered007 said:
I bought the games yesterday, FutureShop is selling it for 29.99, I went to bestbuy and did a price match and they gave me another dollar off. 28.99 is a total steal. I game patching on PS3 is pretty horrible, I had to download a 415 mb patch.

I think the patch was dlc stuff or something iirc. There's stuff in the game now due to the big patch that will just be unlocked with small dlc. Maybe cars or the liveries that will need to be displayed by other people that don't have them. I doubt the new tracks are in the patch but I can't see what else took up that space.

I still need this game, I had issues with the first until I started driving in over-the-hood view (felt so perfect) but after that I had a lot of fun.

Mrbob

Newegg just put this game up for a temporary sale on their website:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261122

$34.99 w/ free shipping. Just ordered a copy. This won't be permanent and I don't know when it will go back up. My guess is they need to clear inventory. I bought LBP from newegg a couple months ago for $34.99 and free shipping, now the game is $56.99. And yes, newegg is one of the most reliable etailers on the net!

Danielsan

Started playing this game again.
Trying to get the last few golds in Festival.
Fuck I hate this cheating piece of shit rubber banding a.i.
I love the game but fuck, the later races in single player are just no fun at all.

Also it seems that the DLC will hit really soon because I can already see the new trophies (16)

6gy2aa.jpg

Anyone else wish there were cheats to unlock all vehicles in this game like the good ol' days? Fuck trophies. I just want to press a few buttons and race through the single player in the car I want to drive in and not earn them as I go along FFS.

Dizzan

MINI Member
This game becomes ridiculously difficult. I'm all for a challenge but it is insane. Made me not want to keep playing

ChryZ

Dizzan said:
This game becomes ridiculously difficult. I'm all for a challenge but it is insane. Made me not want to keep playing
Have you tried to play the game online, to climb the online ranks? Have you beaten any dev time-trials? Have you tried many different vehicles instead of your favs? It all helped me to overcome my single player plateau.

Dizzan

MINI Member
ChryZ said:
Have you tried to play the game online, to climb the online ranks? Have you beaten any dev time-trials? Have you tried many different vehicles instead of your favs? It all helped me to overcome my single player plateau.

Not really. I haven't, and generally don't, have a lot of time for games anymore. I do like to "finish" games though, a habit I carry from my youth.

I should try and play online. I'm only up to level 5 though and I am struggling.

ChryZ

Dizzan said:
Not really. I haven't, and generally don't, have a lot of time for games anymore. I do like to "finish" games though, a habit I carry from my youth.

I should try and play online. I'm only up to level 5 though and I am struggling.
The game is sort of bad at communicating its ways to the player. You'll earn vehicles for climbing the online ranks and beating time-trials. All vehicles handle differently and depending on the track/challenge they will help/hinder your progress. Playing online will give you hints regarding best vehicle/track match and most ideal routes while improving your overall racing skills.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I only need 400 points to reach rank 8 in Festival...

I have alot of bronze and silvers...

It's currently very difficult to race rank 7...

The A.I is ridiculous...I'll be on the home stretch and out of no where the A.I will get past me like he has a rocket or nitros.

Top Bottom