• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

84hpbbO.gif

★★★★☆ / Voynich Manuscript - The movie

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Santa Sangre

While I wouldn't say it's peak Jodorowsky, I appreciate it for it's weirdness and surreal imagery. But as much as I like surrealism, Santa Sangre is just too much headfuckery for my taste. I don't know if it's the directing or pacing, but despite Jodorowsky framing it as a very unique piece of art, the movie as a whole fails to grab me. It moves at a snail's pace and much of the content is just off putting and gruesome.

Jodorowsky doesn't shy from anything. You got a dying elephant that bleeds copious amounts of blood from its trunk. A young boy who gets maimed when his alcoholic father etches in a Phoenix across his chest with a knife. A deaf mute girl being pimped out by her degenerate mother. A woman with no arms who is using her son and his arms to influence him into killing people she doesn't like.

The movie doesn't know if it's supposed to be horror, drama, avantgarde, comedy or surrealism so instead it just packs every genre under the sun and just rolls with it. The plot is probably one of the most bizarre I've ever seen, it's disjointed and doesn't make any sense outside the razor thin main narrative holding the story together. The entire cast of characters are portrayed as deranged freaks and it's difficult to actually relate to anyone, and it just comes off as mean spirited.

Santa Sangre is all over the place. It's evocative for sure, and if you're into independent cinema and weirdo gonzo insanity you should probably check it out. The cinematography is pretty good and it does feature some nice gore effects, but the overall movie is just too much to unpack. Maybe when I was 20 years younger I would've appreciated it.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Barbarian

The first two thirds are excellent. Very suspenseful and you don't see the twist that is coming, like holy shit at the 180 they are throwing you. Movie starts off kinda charming and whimsy, but quickly delves into something more sinister. Unfortunately, with movies like these that builds off from a great idea with tense atmosphere and subverting viewer expectations, it goes off the rails in the final act. It's so ridiculously goofy and weird I almost got angry for being robbed of a great first half. It's worse than a Stephen King ending. I've seen enough weird shit today to last me a lifetime. I fucking hate movies.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Renfield - not what I was expecting, but not bad for what it is. Lots of gore. It reminded me of a Mark Millar comic book at times, and not in a good way.

The Exorcist: Believer - not good at all. I surprised myself by watching it completely, even if I was barely paying attention at times.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I want to rewatch "Smile" but it's not on Paramount + anymore.

Why do I pay for Paramount + if I can't rewatch Paramount movies.

I just bought it digital for $14.99.

John Marston

Land Of Bad (2024) on Netflix.

A pleasant surprise!
Imagine "Ghost Recon Wildlands The movie".

Russell Crowe gets better with age.
With his paunch and salt & pepper beard 😁

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Godfather 2. Great movie, but I had to watch it over two nights because I got tired around the intermission scene.
I really think the TV series is a better way to watch it. It is better bite-sized. The film version has impeccable quality but marathoning five hours feels like work. Also nice way for me to skip to my favorite Cuba investment plotline.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Gold Member
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

This one worked. I really felt like they found the tone of Conan Doyle's writing for both Holmes and Watson. The mystery makes an interesting story, that kept me in it's crip all the wat through, and they were able to put in some humour as well. For some reason, I remember there was some controversy around this film, lile it wasn't like the books or something. I found this quite false though, as this was almost exactly like I imagined these characters when I read the original stories. Very well crafted movie.

AJUMP23

The Primevils- I found this movie a lot of fun. The start is a bit rough but it gets going and the stop motion characters are a real treat. I think anyone could enjoy this film with real heart.

The live action scenes and a majority of the stop motion effects were all filmed in 1994, but David Allen, the director, had passed away due to cancer in 1999. The studio that was making this movie, Full Moon Studios, was also having financial issues so they had to keep postponing the production of the movie, until they ran out of money and had to shelf it. In 2019, after an online fundraising campaign, the original effects artist, Chris Endicott, returned to complete the remaining stop motion sequences.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
CJgDEMcEOgUxLjEuMg==

A 1992 film starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman about an adventurous couple o’ free Irish spirits looking to get lucky… in a contest for land!

Gotta say I found this movie to be a jolly good time. It’s a romantic film that’ll give ya a good chuckle, but it ain’t afraid to pluck at your heart strings either. The movie’s sincerity charmed me from the start (plus I’m a sucker for Celtic culture haha). Seeing Tom Cruise play as a scrappy Irishman with a chip on his shoulder was a pleasant surprise. Nicole Kidman is no less enjoyable. Her role as a spunky girl looking to leave her stuffy upper class life for adventure felt great as she finds her world flip turned upside down. And their chemistry? Oh Mother Mary it was as fiery as Nicole’s curly lockes. Whether they’re arguing about manners that neither actually follows or catching glimpses of the other in a moment of solitude, it’s a good bit of fun watching them bounce off each other.

If you’d like to see enjoy a fun romance with some adventure and fisticuffs, check this out. It’s a good time.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
CJgDEMcEOgUxLjEuMg==

A 1992 film starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman about an adventurous couple o’ free Irish spirits looking to get lucky… in a contest for land!

Gotta say I found this movie to be a jolly good time. It’s a romantic film that’ll give ya a good chuckle, but it ain’t afraid to pluck at your heart strings either. The movie’s sincerity charmed me from the start (plus I’m a sucker for Celtic culture haha). Seeing Tom Cruise play as a scrappy Irishman with a chip on his shoulder was a pleasant surprise. Nicole Kidman is no less enjoyable. Her role as a spunky girl looking to leave her stuffy upper class life for adventure felt great as she finds her world flip turned upside down. And their chemistry? Oh Mother Mary it was as fiery as Nicole’s curly lockes. Whether they’re arguing about manners that neither actually follows or catching glimpses of the other in a moment of solitude, it’s a good bit of fun watching them bounce off each other.

If you’d like to see enjoy a fun romance with some adventure and fisticuffs, check this out. It’s a good time.
Weren't they still married at the time?

John Marston

I saw the TV Glow (2024)
EoaW2dv.jpeg

I was curious about that one & went in blind without reading any reviews.

I gave up after about 45 minutes.
I guess it's not for me and that's ok.

The main actress was distracting because she was doing an impersonation of Aubrey Plaza in Parks & Recreation :messenger_grinning:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Will Smith put work into this character, the hustle flavor is here and it helps inspire, fantastic pursuit of happiness.

happy will smith GIF

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

It was just as amazing and visceral as I remember it!

Watch T2 recently as well. Loved the emergence of the "liquid metal" terminator.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
MV5BYTc0NWFmZmUtMTYxNi00ZDZmLWJmNWMtNWUzOGE0Nzg3M2Y4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzA4MDA0Mjc@._V1_.jpg

Storyline: "When simple-minded friends Jean-Gab and Manu find a giant fly trapped in the boot of a car, they decide to train it in the hope of making a ton of cash."

It was pretty good, nonsensical, just some dudes who think they can make a giant fly obey them... good popcorn flick.

Top Bottom