• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| May 2017

How does FilmGAF feel about Nollywood? Any gems?

I know quality over quantity, but it is the second largest producers of film, and even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Love it.

I apparently have a death scene in an upcoming Wakaliwood film. They shot footage of me at a film festival running into a theater with a machine gun. Not sure when it is to be released. I hope I don't get cut out.

kevin1025

Banned
Prometheus

Rewatching this one in time for Alien: Covenant tonight!

I went from mildly liking it back when I first saw it (maybe late 2012, whenever it hit home video), to liking the hell out of it this time. There are, of course, some goofy or questionable moments, but it made a lot more sense this go-around... even if a lot of the starting points are putting trillions of dollars and years of travel into faith. I respect the film a lot more now. I think a lot of us (speaking for myself, in this case, and projecting onto others based on the dislike, haha) went in wanting something else and got this, and so it never lived up. But going back to it now, knowing what it is, it meant something more!

I'm way excited for Covenant tonight, knowing absolutely nothing except for a trailer, the prologue, and a TV spot.

I also watched Get Me Roger Stone, and The Shallows recently. The documentary is real good, but real unsettling. How easy it is to stir up something of pure insanity. The Shallows I liked a decent amount, it was beautifully shot and well paced. The CG shark, though, hmm...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
My Life as a Zucchini
Holy shit. Work of art. Watch it. The mature and often macabre story perfectly complements the splendidly bright and colorful stop motion animation.

Gifted
Had to watch it for work (I teach gifted kids). Mediocre. The math inconsistencies especially pissed me off. Decent acting and emotional performances but story is very by the numbers.

Fuuuck was rewatching Alien tonight since I'm probs gonna see Covenant tomorrow but my Bluray started skipping a bit. I take the disc out and there are loads of tiny little scratches on the disc. I think it's because of those dumb cardboard sleeves the anthology set uses. Anyone have any tips for fixing scratches?

Fuuuck was rewatching Alien tonight since I'm probs gonna see Covenant tomorrow but my Bluray started skipping a bit. I take the disc out and there are loads of tiny little scratches on the disc. I think it's because of those dumb cardboard sleeves the anthology set uses. Anyone have any tips for fixing scratches?

Lick them

jk I have no idea

lordxar

Holidays I've been meaning to watch this but the urge never really struck me. I was going to wait for an actual holiday but since its several shorts for different days it never felt right to watch. Anyway, was bored and it looked interesting. In short this wasn't too bad. I really liked Fathers Day. There was such a cool premise that was used here its almost too bad this didn't get a full film out of. The Halloween thing Kevin Smith did wasn't too bad either. Overall there wasn't really any of these I hated or didn't like, I just liked some a bit less. I thought they were definitely well made though.

The African Queen Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn trek down a river in Africa during WW1. This wasn't too bad. Not great but not bad. It was worth a watch to see a couple Hollywood legends work.

I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. It's been years since I've last read the novel and I only remembered the premise. I liked this one a lot. Has anyone seen the Swedish original?

kevin1025

Banned

I used to clean scratched DVD's at a movie rental store with a disc repair solution, but I don't know if it works on Blu-rays, plus it's a specific thing to buy if you're looking for immediate solutions :(

Blu-ray scratches that are causing the movie to skip might mean another copy, unfortunately, unless someone else can help out! I've seen toothpaste or bananas being mentioned over the years, but I have no clue if that's real or not, haha.

Icolin

Banned
The Witch

...I'm going to have to rewatch that.

Initial feelings: incredible atmosphere and tension, fantastic performances, gorgeous visuals, and thoroughly entertaining all throughout; just a fucking great horror film. The last 10 minutes are kinda trashy on first viewing, but obviously that could (and probably will) change on repeated viewings. Just feel that it got a little pulpy and tropey towards the end.

Would love to be proven wrong on subsequent viewings, because I absolutely loved the film leading up to that point.

Sean C

La Promesse (1996): Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne's cinematic breakthrough (which, incidentally, was shown on TCM despite coming out in 1996, which seems like it's stretching their mandate a bit), which has the same brevity and social conscience as Two Days, One Night, even if I don't care for it quite as much as that later film (Marion Cotillard's acting is hard to match).

Breathless (1960): This is my second stab at Jean-Luc Godard's filmography, and at this point I may just have to accept that his films just aren't going to click with me, because I didn't care for this at all.

Christine (2016): Rebecca Hall's performance is one of the best and most unheralded of 2016. Just amazing work, in an all-around solid film.

The World Is Not Enough (1999): This really is basically a rough draft for Skyfall, looking back. If they'd cast somebody other than Denise Richards (and been a bit more restrained in their wardrobe choices for her), I think this would be remembered as one of the better James Bond films, and as it is it's still a solid outing. It's also kind of remarkable to look back at action films made just on the cusp of the CGI revolution.

Frantz (2016): My third French-language film in the last few days, the latest from Francois Ozon, who moves between genres as if he was working for one of the old studio system bosses. Great performance from Paula Beer anchoring a comparatively rare look at German civilian life immediately after the First World War.
For the first 45 minutes or so I was wondering if they weren't building up that Adrien was Frantz's gay lover, but that isn't the case.

Brehs I'm like hella faded right now. Im gonna watch the goonies with the homies. Look out for that review when I regain consciousness.

The same shit happened to me a couple of weeks ago during the scene where Brett hunts for the cat. My set doesn't have cardboard sleeves though, I just got unlucky I guess. I'm probably going rebuy the first movie as soon as I can.

My blurays are still good. 😁 but resurrection should more or less be a coaster at this point. Piece of crap. Worse than prometheUss even

Btw twin peaks in less than 24 hours guys. David Lynch seems like a guy that everybody in this thread is down to go give a shot to. So...hype

Zousi

I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. It's been years since I've last read the novel and I only remembered the premise. I liked this one a lot. Has anyone seen the Swedish original?

Yup, the original is definitely better. The whole Millennium Trilogy is a must see if you are interested in Nordic noir. Fincher's adaptation has somewhat better production values, but it loses in atmosphere and performances. Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist have such a good chemistry together. Great films.

Lick them

jk I have no idea

I used to clean scratched DVD's at a movie rental store with a disc repair solution, but I don't know if it works on Blu-rays, plus it's a specific thing to buy if you're looking for immediate solutions :(

Blu-ray scratches that are causing the movie to skip might mean another copy, unfortunately, unless someone else can help out! I've seen toothpaste or bananas being mentioned over the years, but I have no clue if that's real or not, haha.

The same shit happened to me a couple of weeks ago during the scene where Brett hunts for the cat. My set doesn't have cardboard sleeves though, I just got unlucky I guess. I'm probably going rebuy the first movie as soon as I can.

Thanks fellers. Yeah I'll just have to rebuy the damn movie if toothpaste or a good lick can't fix it.

Brehs I'm like hella faded right now. Im gonna watch the goonies with the homies. Look out for that review when I regain consciousness.

Goonies never say die breh.

I saw Split.

And I don't know what everyone was saying about M Night finding his way again. I thought it was dull and forgettable. McAvoy did a great job becoming different characters though. Everything and everyone else just disappeared into the wallpaper.

And The Beast? How utterly disappointing that was.

Saw Green Room. I loved the first two acts. I can't recall other movies that had me literally on the edge of my seat. But I feel that the film kind of fell apart in the third act and lost its way.
The more intimidating nazis died or disappeared way too early
and Patrick Stewart honestly was kind of dull, and could have been played by pretty much anyone else. He didn't really have a lot of screen presence.

It was a fun movie but ultimately not worth revisiting as most of the movie's merits were built on the tension/suspense.

big ander

Breathless (1960): This is my second stab at Jean-Luc Godard's filmography, and at this point I may just have to accept that his films just aren't going to click with me, because I didn't care for this at all.
]
what other one have you seen? Breathless is great but some of his other sixties work is even more playful or cool, I feel like anybody would have a hard time not being charmed by a woman is a woman or band of outsiders
Thanks fellers. Yeah I'll just have to rebuy the damn movie if toothpaste or a good lick can't fix it.

Goonies never say die breh.
this is why I bought the U.K. Edition when the anthology set came out, those sleeves looked risky. Life without the ability to watch alien at a moments notice is no life at all

jelly

I saw Split.

And I don't know what everyone was saying about M Night finding his way again. I thought it was dull and forgettable. McAvoy did a great job becoming different characters though. Everything and everyone else just disappeared into the wallpaper.

And The Beast? How utterly disappointing that was.

Yeah, it wasn't that good but not awful. McAvoy was decent, still think the story is a bit silly. Did you see Bruce Willis after the credits. I didn't realise they are going for a Universe thing with Unbreakable and whatever else he has in his head.

Icolin

Banned
Yeah, it wasn't that good but not awful. McAvoy was decent, still think the story is a bit silly. Did you see Bruce Willis after the credits. I didn't realise they are going for a Universe thing with Unbreakable and whatever else he has in his head.

Spoiler tag that, dude. (I've seen the movie, but maybe others haven't)

T Dollarz

Rewatched Fast Five yesterday, and it holds up as an incredible action movie. Everything that makes the series fun, exciting and emotionally resonant is ramped up to 11 here, and it's just perfect. Far and away the best in the series, and an all timer action flick for me.

Pachimari

The Avengers (2012) - ★★★★☆
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Cut - ★★★★☆

I swear these movies gets better on every rewatch, especially as I noticed more details, and notice more and understand more about the plot. They're both great movies. Was my first time seeing the Ultimate Cut.

this is why I bought the U.K. Edition when the anthology set came out, those sleeves looked risky. Life without the ability to watch alien at a moments notice is no life at all

I concur.

I cleaned the disc with toothpaste which looks like it took all the scratches away but it still skips in the same spot. It's only like a 5 second skip, and only on the theatrical version, so it's probably not critical enough that I get a new copy but its still gonna bug the shit out of me lol.

Icolin

Banned
I concur.

I cleaned the disc with toothpaste which looks like it took all the scratches away but it still skips in the same spot. It's only like a 5 second skip, and only on the theatrical version, so it's probably not critical enough that I get a new copy but its still gonna bug the shit out of me lol.

What

Whenever I watch a Godard I feel like he's standing behind me laughing at me. His movies always make me feel a little nervous and tense because they're full of unexpected things.

yeah it's what the internet tells you to do with scratched dvd's, for which it kinda works since a dvd can be 'smeared' on the top layer. A Blu-Ray however, doesn't work the same way and the use of microplastics for smearing is likely useless. Just have it polished at a relevant store, if that's even possible for BR, since I thought the point of that format was to not have to deal with that crap.

Alien: 2Fass2Bender: While Alien: Covenant doesn't really address some of the larger issues of Prometheus, namely that the human element is still largely subpar (although just a touch improved in the brain-cell count and acting capability), and that this whole prequel thing was the wrong path to go down from the very offset. But, that being said, it is a significantly better movie than Prometheus, as a result of two key aspects.

First, Ridley Scott wisely, and literally, doubles down on Michael Fassbender, who puts the whole movie on his back. The only scenes in this movie that are better than the ones in which he's interacting opposite other members of the cast are the ones in which he's interacting opposite himself. His character's thematic journey is the central thesis to the film, and unlike Prometheus it feels more fully explored and integrated, and not nebulously half-considered or tossed away.

Second, the Covenant embraces the operatic gothicism and takes them to frequently campy, and almost always entertaining levels. It feels like a throwback horror film from the 50's, but with extreme gore and some very pretty Ridley Scott polish.

Unfortunately the movie drops the ball in the third act once its titular alien gets introduced to the fray, as all tension and hammy android malintent gets thrown to the wayside in favor of the tension devoid Alien/Alien 3 rehash that totally misunderstands everything about what made the monster scary in the first place.

Covenant is a messy mashup of styles and weird artistic explorations, and while not entirely competent, it's weird and fun enough that it's kept me aboard Ridley Scotts train of absurdity he seems intent on driving forward. At the very least, it's the best this series has put up on screen in 15 years, not that that's saying a whole lot.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - after thoroughly enjoying The Nice Guys, I thought I'd go back and watch what many here on GAF think is a superior Shane Black film.

And ... what?

The humor fell flat for me. Really flat. RDJ talks way too much. The relationship between Harold and Harmony is a struggle fest. The mystery takes a while to get going. RDJ and Kilmer have ok chemistry but just don't click the way Crowe and Gosling did.

Overall it was a miss for me. Maybe I expected too much.

2 / 5

I saw Imperium a few weeks ago and it's really stuck with me. A hilariously cast Daniel Radcliffe goes undercover to infiltrate a group of white supremacists. It's a vital movie right now in that it relentlessly hammers home that they are terrorists. It treats them the way a movie would normally treat Islamic terrorists, and I'm often reminded of it when I read the actual news and I'm disappointed when the whole Nazi resurgence we are seeing is being treated like some kind of valid political movement.

Which also reminds me of how Patriot's Day got the Boston Marathon bombers right. The bombers themselves said that they were terrorists and cited a bunch of political motives, but the movie's take on them is basically that they were just two dumbass losers who were only successful because of the utter cowardice of their methods. A lesser movie might connect them to part of a global threat to raise the stakes, and give them too much credit in the process.

Icolin

Banned
Polytechnique

Watching this for the first time since it first released and it's just as harrowing, tragic, and sad as I remember it being. A fantastic debut film by Denis Villeneuve, and a must watch for everyone.

Polytechnique

Watching this for the first time since it first released and it's just as harrowing, tragic, and sad as I remember it being. A fantastic debut film by Denis Villeneuve, and a must watch for everyone.

It's great, but I think it's his... third feature length film? It's definitely not his debut, he made a few things before that.

valeo

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - after thoroughly enjoying The Nice Guys, I thought I'd go back and watch what many here on GAF think is a superior Shane Black film.

And ... what?

The humor fell flat for me. Really flat. RDJ talks way too much. The relationship between Harold and Harmony is a struggle fest. The mystery takes a while to get going. RDJ and Kilmer have ok chemistry but just don't click the way Crowe and Gosling did.

Overall it was a miss for me. Maybe I expected too much.

2 / 5

Yep, The Nice Guys is better on all levels.

ActWan

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me - 9/10

Amazing movie, so dark and scary and the acting is just incredible, directing is phenomenal and the plot is great, such a wonderful film. My only small issue with in is with the structure - it sometimes feels like a collection of great scenes rather than a movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watched The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) as a result of the Netflix documentary about various directors, including William Wyler (Five Came Back).

It's an interesting film, not just because of how naturalistic it looks, but because of some of the themes it raises. You could remake this film and it'd fit right in next to American Sniper and films of that ilk, dealing with the traumas of war. It's made the more interesting by virtue of being about WW2 veterans, which is something I didn't really consider given how films essentially venerate "the greatest generation".

I can see why this was a runaway success at the Oscars that year anyway.

Oops, my bad.

Are those previous films still good?

I don't know. I remember renting Maelstrom from a Blockbuster when I was a teenager, but that's far too long ago to remember anything about it.

I remember Polytechnique because of the controversy it caused here in Canada (and my subsequent reaction that it was nevertheless a great and important film, and the best Canadian film I had seen in years).

Top Bottom