• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| May 2017

Rewatched Heat on the new bluray. Looks pretty good but given its a 4k scan I would expect it to look a lot better. Unless the movie is just naturally soft for whatever reason. Also there was a scene where a the voice blatantly did not sync up with a character's mouth lol.

I mentioned in my review of Brian De Palma's Body Double that it may not be the best De Palma film, but it is the most De Palma film. And Heat is to Mann what Body Double is to De Palma. It's all in here. The dichotomy between criminals and justice, never ending city nightscapes, urban sprawl, fast cars, loud guns, and moody rock music playing as moody loners stare out of windows. It feels like he dumps every one of his cinematic fetishes into this movie all the way to the bursting point.

Is it bloated? Yes. Too long? Absolutely. Are the many half-cooked plot lines and underdeveloped characters unsatisfying? You bet. But I wouldn't change any of it, since it's such an epic exploration of what Mann first distilled to its minimalist essence in Thief. It's certainly not as good of a movie, but it's hard to deny how captivating it is because of all those idiosyncrasies and passions that went into this thing. Even the flaws, flaws though they may be, feel of a piece with the theme. Heat is a cold movie, about the vacant spaces that obsessive men live in, work in, and ultimately create for themselves. When framed like that, some of the clutter being left to the wayside, or jumping unexpectedly back into the plot, feels like it makes sense. Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat, and all that.

And the things this movie gets right? Whoo boy. That would need whole other review. I may be more aware of this movie's issues than the first time I saw it, but when that ending hits that all kind of goes out the window.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
About to watch Alien Covenant. Just overheard someone say as they walked into the cinema "go to the back row, the movie is scarier in the back row" o_O

Ridley327

The Happiness of the Katakuris: Opening with a stop motion sequence that begins with a cherub ripping out the uvula of a gawking restaurant-goer that evolves into a "circle of life" as the cherub gets eaten by one animal, which then gets eaten by another animal, until is reborn and the cycle begins anew, the question on everybody's mind is simple: what in the hell could top that in strangeness department? The next 100 minutes are more than eager to rise to that challenge and, dare I say, surpass it in one of the most giddily insane musicals this side of Phantom of the Paradise. You get a smattering of just about the whole spectrum of musicals, from 80s rock opera to full-blown choreographed spectacles, complete with wire work, to even a singalong music video, and Miike manages them quite capably while also giving the film a rather nice color palette to further establish its legitimacy. A musical is about as inspired a way to tell the story here, one where a downtrodden family has their hopes of a bed & breakfast inn frequently dashed when guests keep finding ways to die at their own hands, leaving the clean-up and cover-up to our heroes, who have enough problems of their own. Contrary to, well, most of Miike's film, the tone is frequently upbeat, inspiring and even sweet, as the main thrust of the character interaction among the Katakuris is to slowly but surely repair their connection to one another as they all have to tackle past failings and uncertain futures long before the bodies start piling up. It's a rather colorful cast (my personal favorite: Tetsuro Tanba, a.k.a Tiger Tanaka himself, as the eldest statesman of the clan and rather talented at whacking ravens in flight with loose pieces of wood) with a lot of rapport with one another, even outside of joining together in song and dance. In true Miike fashion, there is a bit of an uneven visual presentation as far as the scenes are concerned, as there are a few camera setup decisions throughout that don't really seem to benefit what the movie is going for (there's one scene in particular where another body is found that looks like someone forgot that the zoom was pushed in), leading to a somewhat unpolished feel at times that stand in sharp contrast to how well the musical sections work. Like all good silly Miike films, however, the infectious energy wins you over easily and completely, and with this being a far sight less graphic than Miike's more notorious works, it is both an easy recommendation to anyone wanting to get into the director's works as well as being a nice one-and-done if that's how the mood catches you. It's as simple as this: it's a super fun musical that's not afraid to get weird, but never in a way that spoils the exuberance.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Just home from watching Alien Covenant.

I really enjoyed it. Yes there are some problems at the end, but I like how they build up David. The production design as always is fantastic and the world building was great.

The horror elements were fine, but it's the whole mythology part that really interests me. Really interested to see how the next one evolves.

TheFlow

Banned
Ran 1985
★★★★★
Kurosawa delivers pure chaos, melodrama, and Shakespeare into one great epic. Nothing else to say other than the movie delivered.

Cue the music: "School's....Out....For....Summer!"

Time to watch some movies.

Alien (Rewatch) - A complete masterpiece of terror, production design, and visuals. It's one of those movies that somehow get better the more I watch it. Anything negative that I could think of to say would be strictly nitpicking, so screw it.

10/10

Aliens (Rewatch) - The best one-two punch in cinema? The switch in genre's is a little offputting at first, but what Cameron accomplishes with this movie is that after such a steady build up in tension he completely delivers in his set pieces. What's amazing is how he somehow continues the build in tension and payoff throughout the picture. It's basically a rollercoaster ride through celluloid.

10/10

Phantasm (Rewatch) - Despite the shortcomings of each installment, I really love the Phantasm series. To me, it's like the little horror series that could. The first film is filled with repetitive moments and inconsistent acting. Somehow though, by the end of the movie Coscarelli has found a way to turn these flaws into the strength of the movie. The use of dream logic is exceptional and really adds to the atmosphere. Aside from that, the other great strengths of the film come from the relationship of the brothers and their love for one another and lastly the visuals which are top notch and the best of the series.

8.5/10

Phantasm II (Rewatch) - Coscarelli successfully pulls off the sequel by taking the Sam Raimi approach to his original work. Out of all of the installments, Phantasm II does the least to add to the mythos of the Tall Man or the series in general. We're basically seeing the first movie again through a more comedic and action packed lens. When it's this fun though, why not?

7.5/10

Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (Rewatch) - This is basically an attempt to redo Phantasm II again, and on my first watch that really hurt the film for me. The more I see it though, the more I like it (which is kind of how the entire series works for me sans Ravager). Despite the zaniness and Raimism's that are shown to us, there is actually an attempt to move the plot forward and to give an arc to the characters. It can still feel a little "been there, done that" at times, but its heard it is in the right place.

7/10

Phantasm IV: Oblivion (Rewatch) - The more I watch this series the more my appreciation for this installment goes up. Coscarelli was unable to acquire the funding necessary to go all out in a final series installment, so he took what money he could muster ($650,000), went out into the desert, and somehow brings the series to a close. Out of all of the sequels this one has the most dreamlike atmosphere and feels much more closer to the original because of it (the use of footage from the first installment helps as well). Despite the lack of budget, the film never feels cheap to me. Which really shows that a little creativity and a good camera goes a long way. While the ending doesn't provide the answers many of the "phans" were looking for, for a series that is known for its "wtf endings" it has an absolutely perfect last scene.

8/10

Phantasm V: Ravager (Rewatch) - It's terrible and it's makes your feel as bad as it looks (for anyone who has actually seen this movie, you'll know that's really bad). It's basically a fan film made by a director who lacks the charm of his predecessor. Despite Coscarelli's involvement behind the scenes as writer and producer, his eye and discipline behind the camera are really missed here. Whoever made the decision to go digital in a series that has used actual locations and practical effects to their advantage is a fucking idiot (Could have been the big Don for all I know, it was still a fucking stupid idea). Ravager gives us a couple of good moments, and the actors are giving it their all, but man they deserved so much better than this.

3/10

Timeaisis

Rewactched Alien 3 in preparation for Covenant and yeah, it's about what I remembered it to be.

It's got some really interesting ideas, but just never had enough time in the oven. It's simultaneously too fast and too slow for it's own good. I really like the opening, the premise, and a decent chunk of the characters. It just never feels as robust or dreadful as the previous two.

selo

I just watched Hacksaw Ridge on netflix, I really enjoyed it, although it did have some details here and there that kinda bugged me. 8/10 :D

Icolin

Banned
To The Wonder

tumblr_msbtaoQ7y41qg4blro2_500.gif

It was better than I remembered it being, and I actually liked it on first viewing. It meanders around quite a bit, but I actually enjoy the very loose structure, and I found the ending to be very impactful. On the downside, Ben Affleck looks completely out of place a lot of the time, and Javier Bardem's character isn't utilized until the very end.

All the qualities that make Malick's movies unique and good are here in full force (although not at the level of The Tree of Life, etc.); beautiful cinematography, lovely use of music, and really beautiful statements on life.

Definitely not a movie for everyone, but if you're a Malick fan that maybe didn't like it the first time around, it's worth another shot IMO.

I see it's Alien time.

Alien - Prometheus Director

I love everything about this movie. Every single thing. And although being this visual grandeur kind of movie it's important to note how the characters (and cast) is bloody terrific they all bounce on each other perfectly, a group of normal people, not too dull nor cartoonish, believable enough to add a sense of realism which makes the story much more suspenseful and menacing. The sweaty faces of Brett and Parker, Dallas normality, Kane's curiosity, Ripley's ascension, Ash duality, Lambert frightness, this sort of credibility to their existence and their reactions makes Alien a unique kind of movie.

Pachimari

I've only watched 3 this month: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Fargo and Your Name. That's primarily because of all those new tv shows taking up a lot of my time. Will end it all off with Wonder Woman.

kevin1025

Banned
I've only watched 3 this month: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Fargo and Your Name. That's primarily because of all those new tv shows taking up a lot of my time. Will end it all off with Wonder Woman.

Alien, Pirates, and Wonder Woman back to back. Interesting weekends ahead!

TheFlow

Banned
don't have a job or social life .. easy
bs.

job(5 days a week), gf of 2 years, and gym 6 days a week(check fitness thread)

it is about time management. Instead of spending hours on GAF/youtube/watching cable spend that time on movies. Instead of playing MMOS like league use that time on a movie.

also it is rare for a movie to be 3 hours. average length is closer to 2.

go see the fantastic and very under-seen The Lost City Of Z

Yes! Definitely go see this one if you can!!

So that's exactly what I did...

The Lost City of Z (9/10) - I'm on a pretty great streak of movies here. Been loving everything I've seen over the last week and this is no exception.

It's a large, sprawling film, and I could nitpick things here and there were I so inclined (I felt the final journey was too abrupt, the relationship perhaps not developed enough, i.e. more screen time was needed for Tom Holland, and this is a movie with lots of characters and plots fighting for time, e.g. the WWI material is also hurried and doesn't always land, e.g. the death of one supporting character, and etc. and etc.), but it's also such an elegant and monumental piece of filmmaking that the wrinkles eventually fade away, and all that remains is the immensity of the experience. James Gray has worked some kind of uncanny magic here, and I have no reservations calling this the greatest achievement of his career (at least in terms of scope, and possibly overall; I might still prefer Two Lovers, but I am not sure at the moment). If there's a longer cut of this thing, give it to me. Give it to me now.

The ending took my breath away. The
nonlinear montage, the dinner scene, the shots of Fawcett as his wife gives birth, the poem, I love you dad, I love you son, and being carried away to the fires in the distance...
I felt the weight of all existence in those moments. I felt my soul stirring. "A man's reach should always exceed his grasp." Indeed.

Best film so far this year? Maybe. It's close.

TissueBox

I reeally wanna see The Lost City of Z, but random forces of inconvenience have deterred me. Hope to get to it sometime.

Yeah, I would like to see Alien but I haven't seen a single film in the Alien and Pirates franchises yet.

Da fuuuuck. Watch alien and aliens dawg. And while you're at it just go ahead with alien 3 and avp too then

Skip prometheshite. Im considering skipping covenant in theaters too, which a few years ago the prospect of me not being day 1 for ridley scott returning to alien would be sacrilege, but the comparisons to prometheus are not helping

On the other hand I am intrigued by the b-movie slasher comparisons it's getting too. I could be down for that

Oh and with Pirates just watch the trilogy. The first in particular is one of the better live action blockbusters from Disney.

Pachimari

I'm actually gonna watch them all, I hate skipping out on stuff. But I will skip the AvP movies for now until I get around to the Predator movies too. I think I've only seen Predator 1 and can't remember much of it.

UrbanRats

The Age of Shadows (Kim Ji-Woon, 2016) - Only this nice and alive style of directing could make what is a fairly predictable plot, into such an engaging movie.
It slows down a tad too much, and it could've been shorter without losing much, but several sequences had me sitting up on the chair, though that was also because summer already kicked in, and i cant afford AC.

Peco

The Age of Shadows (Kim Ji-Woon, 2016) - Only this nice and alive style of directing could make what is a fairly predictable plot, into such an engaging movie.
It slows down a tad too much, and it could've been shorter without losing much, but several sequences had me sitting up on the chair, though that was also because summer already kicked in, and i cant afford AC.
Ahah
I know that feel :-/

Savannah Smiles: A surprisingly good and cute movie about two fugitives who turn into good people because of a girl who runs away from her neglectful parents. It's really about Alvie and Bootsie for me, with their different personalities despite working together. It's a tender, wholesome movie showing them being surprisingly good parent figures despite wanting to get in on the $100,000 reward for finding her. The only real problem i have with the movie is Savannah's father, who's the real antagonist in this story, and his story doesn't really get a resolution.

Blader

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Actually saw this a couple weekends ago, but forgot to say anything here. My longer, spoiler-y thoughts here, but basically I thought it was mostly an improvement on the first movie (which I like but thought was fairly overhyped anyway). Also, Dave Batista's laugh is pure gold.
8/10

Mifune: The Last Samurai
A fine overview of one of the greatest actors of all time. At 80 minutes, I already expected this to skimp out on any eye-opening details or thorough explorations of Mifune's past, method, etc. But there's still very little of that here as is, anyway, and far too much of the already short runtime are devoted to the history of samurai cinema (not all that important to discussing Mifune's life and career) and his relationship of Kurosawa -- which obviously IS important, but he did more than just films with Kurosawa! None of which, outside of the Samurai trilogy, are given much more than a passing mention, which is a missed opportunity. There's also not a ton of insight into his personal life; some photos here and there and anecdotes shared by friends and family, but still fairly light in that department. Overall, it's a breezy reminder of how badass Mifune was and rewatching clips of past Kurosawa films always gets me in the mood to just rewatch all of his stuff. But there's nothing new here either.
6/10

Rules Don't Apply
Oh man. Just bad. Just a badly made movie all around. Almost amateurishly bad in some places. The editing, particularly in the first act, is a disaster; scenes jump quickly and abruptly from one to the next, for no reason and with no real throughline connecting them. Lilly Collins' performance is all over the place, but likely because her character doesn't really make any sense. I'm not sure if this is a consequence of a bad script or bad editing or both. There are a handful of side characters who enter and exit the movie with no real purpose; they don't even stick around long enough to learn their names. Alden Ehrenreich gives a very one-note performance reminiscent of Hayden Christensen in Episode II. If it weren't for Hail, Caesar! you'd think he was just a bad terrible actor. I can only assume that the only direction Beatty gave him here was to look bored and pensive in every scene. Speaking of whom, Beatty himself is basically the only good thing this movie has going for it -- he's as charming and charismatic as ever (well, maybe not literally ever) as Howard Hughes, and lights up every otherwise bad or dull scene that he's in. What a shame that his decades-long passion project and likely last ever movie is going to be this dud.
4/10

Saw Covenant yesterday morning and was massively disappointed. On the plus side it's got a few really unpleasant moments, but that's really where the plus points end.

I actually liked Promethus, having had the advantage of seeing it for the first time in it's glorious 3D. This just felt lazy, uninspired, derivative. Who cares about the mythology of where the Xenomorph came from? It's fucking midichlorians all over again, and this films is absolutely the AotC of this ill-advised prequel trilogy.

The worst is the stupid, plottish decision-making of the characters. Nothing they do or say ever makes any sense except insofar as it sets up a really obvious sequence for the benefit of the writers.

Even the production design was flat, mostly ushered to the background to hide how unremarkable it was. This really felt like businessman Ridley phoning it in for the studio.

Apologies to those who enjoyed it - we obviously just look for different things :)

smisk

Watched Throne of Blood this weekend. Really loved this film, way better than Rashomon IMO. Really beautiful B/W cinematography (dat fog), production design etc. A bit slow at points, but the ending was jaw dropping. Really starting to love Mifune, can't wait to see him more as I go through Kurosawa's stuff.
And now that I generally know what Macbeth is about maybe I'll be able to understand the 2015 film.

Watched Throne of Blood this weekend. Really loved this film, way better than Rashomon IMO. Really beautiful B/W cinematography (dat fog), production design etc. A bit slow at points, but the ending was jaw dropping. Really starting to love Mifune, can't wait to see him more as I go through Kurosawa's stuff.
And now that I generally know what Macbeth is about maybe I'll be able to understand the 2015 film.

I didn't even think about how Throne of Blood makes for a good Macbeth intro for those not as well versed in the text, but yeah it's as perfect of an accessible version as you could hope for. Make sure you check out the superior Polanski Macbeth from the 70's too

Savannah Smiles: A surprisingly good and cute movie about two fugitives who turn into good people because of a girl who runs away from her neglectful parents. It's really about Alvie and Bootsie for me, with their different personalities despite working together. It's a tender, wholesome movie showing them being surprisingly good parent figures despite wanting to get in on the $100,000 reward for finding her. The only real problem i have with the movie is Savannah's father, who's the real antagonist in this story, and his story doesn't really get a resolution.

Whoa. This is a blast from the past. Saw it in the theater.

Combo breaker. André Téchiné, what have you done.

Changing Times (6/10) - It's not bad, though. Just sorta whatever. Gérard Depardieu plays an aging man trying to get back with his first love, played by Catherine Deneuve, and while that narrative provides a bit of structure (it gives us a beginning and an end, anyways) this is also sorta slice of life, with a lot of different plots and characters that just sort of float on through and don't necessarily go anywhere (what was up with the twin sister, anyways? her last scene feels totally random, too). A lot of it is engaging in the moment (good acting, love Téchiné's rapid fire style here with dialogue, handheld camera work, editing), but some of the story beats are lazily contrived, and said contrivances don't even always help build to anything, since there isn't really much of anything that this seems to build up to (the ending, which is setup via the laziest contrivance of all, is also a big ball of nothing as far as I'm concerned).

It's fine, I like the tapestry of cultural clashes, politics and LGBT themes that Téchiné weaves, but I liked The Girl on the Train a whole lot more. I suppose I should work my way back to Wild Reeds at some point, since that seems to be his most popular film.

TheFlow

Banned
I am getting ready for these upcoming blockbusters.

Shaun of the Dead 2004
★★★★
I have watched this film several times, and never get tired of it. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are just amazing together, and honestly can't imagine this film without them. Edgar Wright makes this film pop with his quick camera work and sense of body humor. If you are interested in Wright start with this movie.

Alien 1979
★★★★★
First time watching one of the most critical acclaimed sci-fi movies of all time. I now get all the praise this films gets. For one, the visuals, and production values are on par with a lot of recent films. My only complaint is the alien is kinda cheap looking in some scenes, but that can't be helped due to the time period. Overall great stuff that makes me eager to start Aliens.

Icolin

Banned
I am getting ready for these upcoming blockbusters.

Shaun of the Dead 2004
★★★★
I have watched this film several times, and never get tired of it. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are just amazing together, and honestly can't imagine this film without them. Edgar Wright makes this film pop with his quick camera work and sense of body humor. If you are interested in Wright start with this movie.

Alien 1979
★★★★★
First time watching one of the most critical acclaimed sci-fi movies of all time. I now get all the praise this films gets. For one, the visuals, and production values are on par with a lot of recent films. My only complaint is the alien is kinda cheap looking in some scenes, but that can't be helped due to the time period. Overall great stuff that makes me eager to start Aliens.
Get ready, man.

Aliens is my 5th favourite movie of all time, and neck and neck with T2 as the best action movie of all time.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I've been thinking a lot lately about audience reactions while watching a film at the cinema. Maybe it's because I grew up in Ireland where unless it's a comedy, you sit in complete silence.

Anytime I've gone to the cinema in the US, the audience are clapping and cheering, saying "oh oh" or "do go in there" during moments of tension, and so on.

I just find the whole experience to be surreal and somewhat annoying.

What are your thoughts?

Sunster

The Disappointment's Room.

watched with my siblings on Netflix, started off pretty interesting we were all into it. Then it went off the rails...

2/10

lordxar

Stake Land 2 This wasn't as good as the first and really if you liked the first I'd say pass on this and remember the first one fondly.

Desk Set I saw the description on Netflix and thought it was something else and just about turned it off...glad I didn't. This is actually a very interesting tech film believe it or not. IBM very prominently sponsored this as their name is all over everything. The basic premise is that the big, bad artificial brain (ie computer in 50's lingo) is coming except its not there to replace humanity but to supplement and help which, of course, is why they made this whole film to allay fears of an automated takeover. Now this is a 60 year old film and its still oddly relevant...full room size computers notwithstanding. But...this isn't the whole film.

This is really a love story between computer guy Spencer Tracy and brick wall against progress Katharine Hepburn. Both put in a good performance and I really dug the scene where those two are drying off from the rain and her boyfriend shows up in this very awkward scene that Spencer Tracy shrugged off like he owned the place.

Now at first I really didn't care for Katharine Hepburn. She was a bit too much like she was played in the Aviator...which is apparently how she really was. As the film wore on I came to dig her verbal jousting. The only thing that was a bit weird was her melting down and pining for this exec boyfriend that didn't want to commit but it did have some great comedy from that so whatever.

+1 Rewatched this. Enjoyed it again.

I have a friend that I won't watch a movie I've never seen with because he chats through everything he's bored with which is pretty much every movie.

Top Bottom