• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

JoeInky

It's Burger King!

91tBDRv.png

Oh shit, this a major conflict of corporate interests.

At least the bag was held in a way that the logo points towards the camera for every single frame that it's in the scene, have to maximize that revenue source.

Balb

Was worried this video would be an "anti-SJW" type of review, which is the type of vibe I've been getting off of RLM's recent output but it's pretty spot-on.

GhaleonEB

I didn't intend to single you out. If that appears the case I apologize.

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GAF as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of information and opinion that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met Evilore a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

This is a thread discussing a review about a bad movie. We had those in 2000 when I joined the forum. Feel free to watch it and join the discussion, but enough spitballs.

I didn't intend to single you out. If that appears the case I apologize.

I just.. oh God here I go. I remember GAF as a foundry of awesomeness. As a source of information and opinion that I would find constantly relevant, entertainmentimg and refreshing. And *something* HAS changed. I've met Evilore a number of times and he's consistently grateful and gracious. And handsome and typically surrounded by really, really attractive girls. That's probably a product of the environments I meet him in but whatever. This is HIS joint. We're all just pulling up bar stools. But something is rotten in Denmark. Maybe the negativity is a reflection of the times. But I don't like it. And I'm going to say so.

this looks like a copy paste ive never seen before...but its not. Jesus

The part at 30:45 with everyone laughing and the camera zooms in on set crew looking miserable killed me

Veitsev

Idk what you mean. Are you saying the opinions of the fans here are more valid because the discourse is much less toxic?

Those comments are how RLM allows themselves to be represented on their channel, right?

I never said all the fans are like that. I even specified that maybe it was just a YouTube thing. But you can't deny that those people on YouTube are fans.

I am saying rather than pointing to a nebulous group of fans in a youtube comment section and using them to paint an entire group of fans as negative you engage directly with the fans here.

If you find that your assumptions then don't match reality than maybe shut up.

yuoke

Banned
Was worried this video would be an "anti-SJW" type of review, which is the type of vibe I've been getting off of RLM's recent output but it's pretty spot-on.

Not sure why you would think that. Even before GB2016 came out, Mike said he liked the cast and had no issue with the movie being a female swap. He said he just cared about it being funny.

Audioboxer

Sony Movies are just routinely garbage. Gotta open with that, because it's true. I'll blame a lot of the product placement madness on them too, for mismanaged budgets and corporate dicking around.

Listening to this review right now in the background, about halfway in. When you take something from an older era, such as the 80s or 90s and then want to do a sequel/reboot 20+ years later you have to respect the origins. If the original cast can exist in a meaningful way, that's great, but often with that large passing of time, it's tricky (sadly sometimes people pass on too). Not to mention with the jump, it's also hard to recapture some of what happened in an earlier time. I get them therefore attempting to modernise things, but Feigs toilet humour wasn't quite what was needed. It's funny and goes well in other movies, but this wasn't quite a clean slate he was working from here. Ghostbusters is still full of one-liners, cheap jokes and non-intellectual wise cracks, however, most of them were masked in genuine wit, actor chemistry and less of the "joke *applause* joke *applause* style SNL skits or TV soap opera manufactured humour.

David Lynch has done a good job of taking a beloved series, Twin Peaks, and manging to get back in about it 25 years later with change, difference, modernisation, new actors and still have enough of the early charm, writing, wit, drama and so on loved in the original 90s series. It's not been without criticism and fans having to adjust that something isn't just a 1:1 remake of a 1990's show, but that's okay, change will happen over that spell of time and people will have to accept that.

The risk here was never just about changing the actors, but low and behold for all the reasons argued ad nauseum online that became the central debate. It was the script the actors ended up working from and the general tone of the whole movie, that ended up disappointing many and if you ask me just making this a "Paul Feig film" rather than a "Ghostbusters film". You can argue that is what Feig and Sony wanted, but given the reception, budget costs and more it's maybe not what they should have aimed for.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I mean, I dunno what jetjevons is on but I remember GAF's true old days when I lurked and saw creatures like MAF and DrinkyCrow absolutely crucify people which you're certainly not allowed to get away with these days. Peace has defeated you/tying personal politics to bad Sony films.

95% of the movie was adlibbed!?! Who's stupid idea was that? No wonder it sucked.

This is how 'comedy' movies are made these days. Will Ferrell and co particularly made it the norm, and now people trust the comedian actors on the set to just blurt out gold they can duct tape together in editing. Problem is there's SNL Gold members and then theres the SNL C-grade.

Tina Fey coulda put together an amazing Ghostbusters alongside all the other 30 Rock writing crew. Comedy feels dead on the big screen these days, and reserved for TV/stream only.

Ghostbusters is still full of one-liners, cheap jokes and non-intellectual wise cracks, however, most of them were masked in genuine wit, actor chemistry and less of the "joke *applause* joke *applause* style SNL skits or TV soap opera manufactured humour.

It was the script the actors ended up working from and the general tone of the whole movie, that ended up disappointing many and if you ask me just making this a "Paul Feig film" rather than a "Ghostbusters film". You can argue that is what Feig and Sony wanted, but given the reception, budget costs and more it's maybe not what they should have aimed for.

Gotta agree with your whole post but these two bits stood out for me, particularily how its a Paul Feig movie and not a Ghostbusters movie

95% of the movie was adlibbed!?! Who's stupid idea was that? No wonder it sucked.

I'm really curious what the script for this movie looked like.

That was my thoughts, if most of the film was ad-lib, it cast doubt on all those interviews about how they found the right script etc, because it seems like it could have been a back of a packet of cigarette style summary of Ghostbusters,mentioning female cast and ad-libbing

I
This is how 'comedy' movies are made these days. Will Ferrell and co particularly made it the norm, and now people trust the comedian actors on the set to just blurt out gold they can duct tape together in editing. Problem is there's SNL Gold members and then theres the SNL C-grade.

Tina Fey coulda put together an amazing Ghostbusters alongside all the other 30 Rock writing crew. Comedy feels dead on the big screen these days, and reserved for TV/stream only.

That is kind of scary but also explains how comedies these days are either amazing or completely miss the mark.

Tina Fey, man i really wanted Tina Fey on this cast when they first announced it, i had a long list of amazing comedians i'd have liked, Wig was on there but the rest of the cast i wasn't that aware of, or found to rely/be typecast onto fat jokes.

If they want to do another Ghostbusters live action, i really think they need to get a genuinely good cast of the best comedians, a good script and a then test them and their chemistry out before announcing the cast, oh and no Feig

It spawned a franchise, so if opinions could be wrong yours probably would be.
A franchise with a sequel that a lot of people hated, a remake that everyone hated and a cartoon I admittedly know nothing about so I can't say something snarky about it.

Anyway, I finished the review. It seemed well thought out but not their most interesting or funny one.

Just watched, really funny video but I suppose the root of this films problems wasn't as interesting as the SW Prequels. But what is?

Chindogg

It's Burger King!

91tBDRv.png

And the reason why it's Burger King is because RDJ sobered up and got his life straight because his favorite food is a Whopper and he was so high he couldn't taste it anymore.

It's actually a personal thing for RDJ and put in as a symbol to his rise to superstardom from where he was as a drug addled joke.

Great return to form for Plinkett videos and RLM.

I'm glad we had a huge, convoluted thread earlier getting all worked up that it was going to be the same as their Scientist Man review, their Half in the Bag review, or go into the whole "Ghostbusters Gamergate" or whatever. It helped everyone get worked up into a tizzy for no reason and appreciate the review more.

That was great, as always. I like the Plinkett humor and find it remarkable that Stoklasa knows when to tone it down and when it's ok to go all out (but honestly I would be ok with him going overboard more)

Gorillaz

I know Mike on RLM only does these Plinkett reviews when he deeply cares about the subject material. I only really saw 2 of these (avatar and some of the SW stuff) but is it true that the script was all improve? What the hell?

And the reason why it's Burger King is because RDJ sobered up and got his life straight because his favorite food is a Whopper and he was so high he couldn't taste it anymore.

It's actually a personal thing for RDJ and put in as a symbol to his rise to superstardom from where he was as a drug addled joke.

This story actually kinda makes RDJ look like a selfish dick.

“Never mind what my drug habit is doing to those I love and those who depend on me. I can’t taste what I love? Fuck you, drugs!”

I mean, whatever gets you clean is great, and I’m happy for him. But it hits me as sort of self-centered.

This story actually kinda makes RDJ look like a selfish dick.

“Never mind what my drug habit is doing to those I love and those who depend on me. I can’t taste what I love? Fuck you, drugs!”

I mean, whatever gets you clean is great, and I’m happy for him. But it hits me as sort of self-centered.
I read his quote differently:
RDJ said:
"I have to thank Burger King," he said. "It was such a disgusting burger I ordered. I had that, and this big soda, and I thought something really bad was going to happen." Downey Jr. says he then tossed all of his drugs into the ocean, deciding right then and there to clean up his act.
Nothing really about it being his favorite food -- just that it was so disgusting that it made him rethink his life...

10/10 post

Budi

The movie is "hot garbage" as younglings say. This review was excellent! One of the better Plinkett ones.

Garlador

More and more I think Ghostbusters 1 was a very, very good fluke.

The remake could have been alright, but when as mentioned, ad-libs can't carry a film.

-Gozer-

The woman was just a form that Gozer took. Gozer summoned the destructor and they closed the portal when they crossed the streams which cut Gozer's connection to the living or whatever.

I'm gonna have to nerd out for a second.

Gozer didn't summon anything. Gozer is the Destructor. Stay Puft is Gozer.

Just watched, really funny video but I suppose the root of this films problems wasn't as interesting as the SW Prequels. But what is?

Because the Star Wars prequels tried to do something. I don't at all agree with the RLM reviews of them but they can crank out a discourse because there is plotting in Star Wars even if they or many people don't like the plotting.

Ghostbusters didn't have much of anything happening. It took the surface of the concept and didn't bother to weave any threads to it. The review highlights the fact that the most important sub plot with the Gatekeeper and the Keymaster is completely absent here. It reminds me of the Robocop remake that quickly wraps it self up at what was the 2nd act of the original movie.

In terms of comedy, the original Ghostbusters would have worked perfectly as a action horror story and a dramatic work of it didn't have any comedy in it at all. It has plotting, character motivations, and sub plots that all perfectly feed the narrative in a brilliant structure. This has people knowing that they are in a comedy, acting like cartoons, and incessantly talking. It's a blabber mouth joke movie first and a ghostbuster movie second. This isn't RLM talking either, this was my takeaway almost three months ago when I watched it and groaned my way through it.

He's definitely right about the constant talking. It really ruins the few funny scenes that movie had

I think the biggest issue is still the line-o-rama dialogue. Ghostbusters 2016 lacked a strong narrative structure. Also good point on how adlibbing really works best for creating natural dialogue in character driven scenes.

Top Bottom