• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles | (Update: Misspoke, no Scorpio exclusives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp2417

Banned
So at 6 teraflops you're looking at Titan X or 390X. This system is going to be super expensive and with all the games coming to Windows 10 you might as well just build a PC because then you get Steam and Origin in addition to Windows games.

It's not a Titan X. You are going to be seeing custom variants of the AMD 480 within the next few weeks that will be roughly equivalent in power and retailing at a little over $200. And this thing is launching a full year+ later. $499 is the absolute max it will be, and it might be lower depending on how aggressive Sony is with the Neo's price/performance ratio. I wouldn't argue against your last point though.

BFIB

Amazing how you have this big reveal, not announcing one, but two consoles, yet you have conflicting information on the compatibility of the consoles.

Conference went:

-Buy our updated Xbox One!
-Any game you buy on XBox One digital will now be cross platform with Windows 10.....which alleviates the point of buying an updated console when you have a PC that likely has better specs
-Announce a new, likely much higher priced console built for performance, which those with beefier PC's will likely pass on anyway, and you essentially buried your updated original console within the next 90 minutes

Then state many different things from anyone within MS you ask about the differences between the original Xbox One and the new Scorpio model.

I'm not shocked. I mean, even as the words came out of their mouths I couldn't believe it. Logically, it made 0 sense. In the end, I'm fine with this. It just brings us back to the console cycle discussion again.

Vorg

Banned
Read it as you wish.

I hate PC gaming because I can't be bothered to keep up with hardware and software updates, and now these guys are telling me that consoles will somehow make it even worse because the new hardware will play games that the original console won't in a 3-4 years span.

No thanks!

Seriously. I'm not going to go out and buy a pc but there are literally thousands of older games out there to keep me entertained. I'm just going to stop buying new hardware and games.

No one will make games exclusive for the smallest user base possible, MS should push that development but they won't leave behind X1 users. Probably they won't either finnace third party develops to make use of scorpio's power because they seem to be reducing their invetment in game deveopment. Probalby Xbox big exclusives like Halo 6 will make use.

gatti-man

Read it as you wish.

I hate PC gaming because I can't be bothered to keep up with hardware and software updates, and now these guys are telling me that consoles will somehow make it even worse because the new hardware will play games that the original console won't in a 3-4 years span.

No thanks!

Exactly like I said. A well built gaming PC can last upgrade free for 6-8 years you just need to use lower settings which you aren't ok with. It's hardware sour grapes.

rokkerkory

Amazing how you have this big reveal, not announcing one, but two consoles, yet you have conflicting information on the compatibility of the consoles.

Conference went:

-Any game you buy on XBox One digital will now be cross platform with Windows 10.....which alleviates the point of buying an updated console when you have a PC that likely has better specs
-Announce a new, likely much higher priced console built for performance, which those with beefier PC's will likely pass on anyway, and you essentially buried your updated original console within the next 90 minutes

Then state many different things from anyone within MS you ask about the differences between the original Xbox One and the new Scorpio model.

There's no confusion watch the interview with spencer and major nelsom

darkwing

No one will make games exclusive for the smallest user base possible, MS should push that development but they won't leave behind X1 users. Probably they won't either finnace third party develops to make use of scorpio's power because they seem to be reducing their invetment in game deveopment. Probalby Xbox big exclusives like Halo 6 will make use.

lol I don't think 3rd parties will like that

Did people think it would be forever that Xbox One was supported?

As long as there is a player base people will make games for it, and probably longer than the 360 since the architecture is so similar.

MrBenchmark

The reactions of people are hilarious. I wonder how some of these posters function in life. Earlier it was a freak out because somebody thought the S didn't come with a controller. I mean come on!

advancement in games needs quicker cycles. This last gen went way to long.

Message felt clear products and ideas clear.

BFIB

Did people think it would be forever that Xbox One was supported?

As long as there is a player base people will make games for it, and probably longer than the 360 since the architecture is so similar.

Except its not? We are already being told to expect a leap from 360 to the Xbox One with the Scorpio in terms of graphical fidelity.

RootCause

By the time the Scorpio releases it would e been 4 years. So one more year, then they would've fulfilled the five year lifespan.

Bobnob

Hated getting sub 60/1080 on x1 games so scorpio will be good, (Q) will I automatically get better fps with pcars1 by playing it on scorpio or would that require a update ?

neptunes

That's not even what they are saying.
That's essentially what they're saying.

Leaving it up to devs is essentially that. Devs will follow where the money (or market) is.

If the userbase isn't there to support AAA* Scorpio only titles... don't expect many?

JaggedSac

Conference went:

Their whole theme with this conference was here are some games, play these damn games wherever you want, here are a few ways, here are some games. Games.

RootCause

Hated getting sub 60/1080 on x1 games so scorpio will be good, (Q) will I automatically get better fps with pcars1 by playing it on scorpio or would that require a update ?
I would imagine it will be the same with neo. The game will require a patch.

Alienfan

So people want Microsoft to follow Sony's lead and shackle game development by forcing developers to make their games work on both? Because that's a great solution! This console will be coming out 4yrs after the original, any other facet of technology and that would be considered "old" - plus games will continue to come out on both simply by virtue of the majority of the player base being on the one

Bobnob

So people want Microsoft to follow Sony's lead and shackle game development by forcing developers to make their games work on both? Because that's a great solution!
I fully expect and hope that message will change before launch.I own 2 x1s btw

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No the entire point is the death of completely new consoles. There will not be an Xbox two just the current hardware and software iterated constantly leaving no software behind

I get what you 're saying but technically it will be an Xbox Two, 3, 4, etc if they go that far.

Smartphones are about as iterative as you can get and the iPhone is at 7? The Galaxy is at 7. Moto dropped, changed naming schemes but from the Droid 1 to now there have been at least 6 flagships, HTC too.

The only way console wont have successors is if we could upgrade the internal cpu, gpu, ram ourselves.

And I doubt Sony and MS will stop at the latest hardware specs. Maybe they will do one final monster spec console someday and that will be it. If they use Zen now or in their next consoles is that the final cpu they use?

Miles X

This is MS's way of avoiding any blame when devs shift focus.
"Hey it's not OUR fault everyone wants to develop Scorpio exclusives"

Buying an X1 or One S now is stupid move imo. It's on its way out.

What if you don't wanna wait 18 months to play XB1 games? What if you're not gonna be able to afford $500 anyway so it'll be an extra 2 years on top of that 18 months?

The more important thing to take from this is dynamic scaling automatically enables better looking games for Scorpio.

As typical to gamers, there's an automatic over reaction over something that is considered with openness. Developers will not need to do much to scale a game from PS4 to XB1, so to imagine that they will suddenly give up on the current market is idiocy. Also XB1 S will continue to push installed base forward on the Xbox side as an entry level plug/play device while Scorpio will catch the higher end of consumers/hardcore gamers.

Developers need money y'all. Hardware/services companies like MS understand that they shouldn't piss off the user. This should be pretty simple for everyone to understand.....

At some point in the iterative generations, that are potentially just turning into more of the PC model, there will have to be a cutoff, in which XB1 no longer fulfills the minimum requirements, at which point the back of the game box will say xb1 not supported. That will be market dictated as much as it will be conscious decision on developers/publishers to try to push the market to update their hardware... Which won't happen for several several years. We're looking at 2019 before PS4/xb1 market base is exhausted of dollars/potential spending power/potential mind space for accepting gaming experiences.

This push towards higher end experiences is as much about npd as it is vr as it is free to play games as it is market saturation and big brand entrenchment. They are simply trying to move the gaming market in a bigger direction, thinking that VR will motivate that much larger mainstream base that sees call of duty, wow, and the other most popular gaming models as kind of played out.

Again, the really good news here is that dynamic scaling will enable automatic enhancements. Yes, we won't get Scorpio specific games for sometime... the idea of maximizing a closed hardware maybe a thing of the past, that developers simply don't have the time for... Or maximizing hardware will be on first party developers, and a process of refinement over time... But we will get PC like upgrades in software, the way that it currently works, maxed out high settings.... most people here Should be cool with that.

I'm personally more interested in all the psychological effects gamers here clearly take in. The idea of maximizing every single last juice of the hardware is an exact model for the kind of economic rationing that is part of mastering a game world, conserving energy and being able to use whatever abilities.... Clearly an internalization of a conditioned set of priorities in game worlds. Another thing is this idea that the rules must be carefully established and never trudged upon, or else outrage ensues. Some of you seem to project complete inability to deal with any possibility for change; life is full of the unpredictable, but it seems you all would rather stay in this carefully choreographed world with rules fully set. Another internalization of external values... Alright I'll give up those threads now.

Yep they want to move on asap.

The X1 has been a noble failure and I say that as an owner of one. MS want to reset the narrative for next gen. The scorpio allows them to do that.

Agree.

Xbox was always the console with the most power to me, but XboxOne really failed with that.

And it seems like MS is going back to the Original approach. Really love that.

Cant wait for this machine :)

CronoShot

That's not how it works... At all.

Apple dictate which devices are still supported or not via software updates. If a device is still under "official support" a developer has to make sure their application is compatible with that along with any newer devices.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/goodbye-a5-ios-10-ends-support-for-iphone-4s-ipad-2-and-more/

When Bioshock iOS came out, it only supported iPhone 5 and up and iPad 4 and up, despite lower devices still being supported by Apple.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm sorry, I haven't read the whole thread but this "play anywhere" thing doesn't guarantee compatibility the way I see it. If a game is built for Scorpio from a performance perspective, yeah it will run on X1 but it will be a slideshow.

MS clearly hasn't thought this thing through. They need to enforce rules on compatibility or else this thing will be one giant mess.

gamz

I'm sorry, I haven't read the whole thread but this "play anywhere" thing doesn't guarantee compatibility the way I see it. If a game is built for Scorpio from a performance perspective, yeah it will run on X1 but it will be a slideshow.

MS clearly hasn't thought this thing through. They need to enforce rules on compatibility or else this thing will be one giant mess.

Plenty of games this gen were released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 and they weren't slide shows.

Eventually third parties will move on from the PS4, whether Sony likes it or not. The gap will just be too large to be worth it.

You really think that the majority of 3rd party publishers & developers are going to flat out ignore the huge install base that PS4 has & leave a lot of money on the table/give up the chance to make even more money by wasting a lot of money on a next gen console just to make games look prettier when most hardcore PC gamers can already do that on their gaming PC's?

Yeah, good luck with that.

gamz

You really think that the majority of 3rd party publishers & developers are going to flat out ignore the huge install base that PS4 has & give up the chance to make money by wasting a lot of money on a next gen console just to make games look prettier when most hardcore PC gamers can already do that on their gaming PC's?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Agreed. People aren't thinking. Dev number 1 priority is to make money.

rokkerkory

Maybe u shud read up then respond

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Great news, I want built from the ground up Scorpio titles.

And is it really that horrifying to people that now we'll probably get consoles every 4-5 years instead of 6-7? How exactly is that the end of consoles as we know it?

Great news, I want built from the ground up Scorpio titles.

And is it really that horrifying to people that now we'll probably get consoles every 4-5 years instead of 6-7? How exactly is that the end of consoles as we know it?

Absolutely, I don't know why people are acting so idiotic about this. Complaining about mid cycle upgrades after 4 years when most gens in the past were 4-5 years and we only had a long one last time due to the largest economic recession since the great depression.

Ugh, don't like the idea of incremental consoles at all and this is one of the many reasons why. But if they don't do it then they're handicapping the Scorpio. Lose lose

Except its not? We are already being told to expect a leap from 360 to the Xbox One with the Scorpio in terms of graphical fidelity.

Graphical fidelity is not the same thing as system architecture.

So yes games won't look as good on the Xbone as Scorpio but if it's minimal effort to port then there's no reason why devs would miss out on millions of potential customers.

Ninferno

I'm OK with this, there is nothing wrong with "let the developers decide". That's essentially the same as what Apple is doing; you phone is not dead once the next generation has come out, but support will drop at some point inevitably. That "point" is decided by the APP developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom