• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Munchies: This Startup Is Making Dairy Milk Without Cows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

“Our products are made from real milk proteins combined with plant-based (lactose-free) sugar, healthy plant fats, vitamins, and minerals,” the website read. “They have the same taste and texture as cow’s milk, but pack in more nutrition with no food safety or contamination concerns.”

Using yeast and age-old fermentation techniques, we make the very same milk proteins that cows make.

Since the company’s inception in Ireland, it has raised $4 million and grown to 12 people including key staff member Ravi Jhala, Perfect Day’s head of food development. Jhala was responsible for taking Perfect Day to the next level in terms of flavor and mouthfeel, a task that brought together art and science.

The company’s next moves will focus on scaling up and reducing costs to bring Perfect Day products to food companies and grocery stores at competitive prices.

“We’re thinking it’ll be on par with organic-tier dairy products,” Pandya said, “and eventually, it’s such a more efficient use of resources that we can make the same thing for actually less money, and it’ll be more affordable for people.”

Their companies site is PerfectDayFoods.com

Really interesting to see if they can pull this off.

“They have the same taste and texture as cow’s milk, but pack in more nutrition with no food safety or contamination concerns.”
“We’re thinking it’ll be on par with organic-tier dairy products,” Pandya said, “and eventually, it’s such a more efficient use of resources that we can make the same thing for actually less money, and it’ll be more affordable for people.”

J4g3r

cadbury%20dairy%20milk%20120g.jpg

As a Brit, that thread title had me ready to riot.

Xe4

Banned
Same reason artificial meat is slowly becoming a thing. It's safer, healthier, less cruel, more environmentally friendly, and has the ability to be cheaper to produce while still tasting just as good.

If it's just as good as the real thing, and as cheap I'll switch. I think almond/soy milk is disgusting, but I do acnowledge that drinking milk is worse for the environment and crueler towards the animals than not.

yonder

Really excited for this. Hope they can pull it off. I already love all kinds of non-dairy milks like almond and soy, but perhaps this could be used to make cheese with as well? Creating "real vegan cheese" would be a game changer.

Xe4

Banned
I'll believe this when I...er...taste it.
That's why I said has the ability to. It's still a challenge. For instance artificial meat needs to figure a way of having fat cells grow more, as that is why meat is so tasty to us.

But the ability is there, we just need to figure out how to do it.

yonder

Dairy is unfortunately quite a cruel industry. No matter how well the cows are kept they have to be forcefully inseminated, and their offspring gets taken away from them soon after they are born which is traumatic for both the baby and the mother cow. The male calves are then sold as veal and the female calves turned into dairy cows like their mothers, repeating the whole cycle. When the cows stop producing as much milk, they're slaughtered.

If we could still have milk without making animals go through all that suffering, why wouldn't we? Add in the environmental benefits and it's a no-brainer to me.

Soybean

People seem to assume that dairy is benign to cows, but keeping them in a constant state of pregnancy, male calfs being taken away for veal, etc. etc. means I'd be all over this if it's even 80% as good. Right now cashew milk is fine, though.

Goliath

I have been told time and time again that a plant substitute "tastes as good as real milk". And every time I try it I realize it's a lie. Soy, Almond, etc. are nowhere close to tasting as good as real milk. Let's see if this will be different.

Holy shit.

I just went vegan, and this would be a god-send. Giving up Milk has been the hardest part, Almond Milk is close but doesn't quite cut it..

Futureman

I have been told time and time again that a plant substitute "tastes as good as real milk". And every time I try it I realize it's a lie. Soy, Almond, etc. are nowhere close to tasting as good as real milk. Let's see if this will be different.

I think almond milk is decent. It tastes like milk to mean initially but yea the aftertaste isn't that close.

This is just cutting out the cows and making it lactose free.

Cows use a lot of resources and contribute a lot to global warming. It is like all those lab grown meat companies that are popping up.

honestly, I don't get it at all.

Alternative for lactose intolerant, or vegan needs
Less useage of dairy cows which can involve cruel or unsustainable methods
Provides an option for areas where distribution of dairy milk can be limited, due to lacking proper infrastructure for local farms or refrigeration for storage
Less risk of contamination or storage
Sustainable for future generations if global capacity for dairy milk producing farms is outstripped by rising populations

Izuna

Banned
If they can make milk taste like milk, but infused with Vit. B12 then I'd fuck with it

Otherwise it's Soy Milk alternating with Cravendale for me

By "real" milk proteins... if it doesn't come from a Cow, is it just from another animal?

"no food safety or contamination concerns."

They base this claim on what, exactly?

No safety/contamination concerns, ever? Plant/yeast-derived proteins and organic compounds have some magic barrier against foodborne pathogens?

Izuna

Banned
"no food safety or contamination concerns."

They base this claim on what, exactly?

No safety/contamination concerns, ever? Plant/yeast-derived proteins and organic compounds have some magic barrier against foodborne pathogens?

What do you think of GMOs?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Alternative for lactose intolerant, or vegan needs
Less useage of dairy cows which can involve cruel or unsustainable methods
Provides an option for areas where distribution of dairy milk can be limited, due to lacking proper infrastructure for local farms or refrigeration for storage
Less risk of contamination or storage
Sustainable for future generations if global capacity for dairy milk producing farms is outstripped by rising populations
I still don't get how or why such a highly synhetical, heavily processed product should replace one of the most common and available foods on this planet.

I still don't get how or why such a highly synhetical, heavily processed product should replace one of the most common and available foods on this planet.

Because it might not always be one of the most common and available foods on the planet.

And as we have seen time and time again people will always seek out alternatives to animal-based products whether due to health, safety or moral concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom