• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Captain America Was Black and He Deserved a Better Send-Off Than Marvel's Legacy

Link.

When Sam Wilson became the new Captain America back in 2014, it felt like the organic evolution of Marvel’s two most iconic US patriots. As a then-elderly Steve Rogers passed his shield and duties on to his longtime friend, Sam became a more sharply defined, empowered version of the hero he’d always been.

As Falcon, Sam had spent decades protecting the world as an Avenger and a Defender, and he clocked his fair share of hours as a Hero for Hire, all the while building up an impressive skill set of abilities. Chief among them—leadership. As Captain America, nothing about who he was a person really changed, save for his costume and the amount of attention both we the audience and Marvel’s characters paid to him.

That iconic, red-white-and-blue shield cast a spotlight on Sam Wilson that warded off any trace of the idea that he was still a second-stringer, but his shift to the Captain America identity made it bittersweet to consider the inevitable day when he would hand it back to Steve. While this week’s Generations: Sam Wilson, Captain America & Steve Rogers, Captain America one-shot written by Nick Spencer and illustrated by Paul Renaud is conceptually interesting, it also undermines Sam’s legacy as Captain America when it should be celebrating it instead.

Spoilers at the link.

The Kree

Banned
They couldn't let Falcon Cap breathe for more than 6 issues before he got swept up in a crossover. It could have been a standout series on it's own.

Viewt

It wasn't as smooth of a transition as when they gave Bucky the mantle, but Sam's run has had a great mission statement, and I've enjoyed seeing him in Waid's Avengers. I'm sad to see him go - there's no reason two Caps can't co-exist.

Some Nobody

Falcon should never have been Cap. I was literally NEVER a fan. Should've let Patriot have his time to shine. If that had happened, he could've stayed Cap IMO.

Good news is, Sam can now sit at the table next to Wally and Kyle. And they're good company.

How to deal with legacy characters is always gonna be tricky. Especially now that you have to factor the movies in the equation. I get the frustration but I've long accepted that Bruce Wayne will always be Batman, Peter will always be Spidey, etc.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I will say this. It's amazing how all of a sudden people are giving a shit about slam before he was captain falcon.

Huh? He's not the first black captain America. Or am I missing something?

People don't know about the bradleys

Falcon should never have been Cap. I was literally NEVER a fan. Should've let Patriot have his time to shine. If that had happened, he could've stayed Cap IMO.

I don't get why they retired Elijah. An off screen mention on how hes cool with new patriot is insulting too

Mugsy

I feel like having a new character take over the role of an iconic older character seems to fail in comics. They never really get the chance to become the role because everyone knows it is just a matter of time until the original is going to come back from the dead once again and reclaim their spot. They should either commit to the old character being gone (which they probably won't do) or allow these characters to have a different identity rather than setting them up to be overshadowed.

Them doing it in and of itself doesn't bother me. But the way all this played out and how they did it does. He wasn't even allowed to have the mantle for 6 months before he just became event fodder and captain plot convenience.

RazOmari

It wasn't as smooth of a transition as when they gave Bucky the mantle, but Sam's run has had a great mission statement, and I've enjoyed seeing him in Waid's Avengers. I'm sad to see him go - there's no reason two Caps can't co-exist.

Agreed 100%. Really enjoyed Spencer's Sam Cap for the majority of the run.

My Captain is black,
my time gem's blue,
and I'd be goddamned if the Kree ain't too

10/10

I feel like having a new character take over the role of an iconic older character seems to fail in comics. They never really get the chance to become the role because everyone knows it is just a matter of time until the original is going to come back from the dead once again and reclaim their spot. They should either commit to the old character being gone (which they probably won't do) or allow these characters to have a different identity rather than setting them up to be overshadowed.

If everyone knows the originals will be back, then what is up with the SJW haters, and fans in uproar that Falcon was Cap, Riri is Ironman, Cho is Hulk, and Jane is Thor.

Parshias7

It only ever sticks for an extended period of time if the original hero isn't very popular.

There being a new Batman is never going to stick for long, but a new Blue Beetle will hang around for quite a while.

Mugsy

If everyone knows the originals will be back, then what is up with the SJW haters, and fans in uproar that Falcon was Cap, Riri is Ironman, Cho is Hulk, and Jane is Thor.

Anger is very quick to happen. Development of a character as the new Cap/Ironman/etc but still a unique person is a long difficult process.

It only ever sticks for an extended period of time if the original hero isn't very popular.

There being a new Batman is never going to stick for long, but a new Blue Beetle will hang around for quite a while.

Sad but true, it might make a more interesting and deep character but it is risky, difficult and won't necessarily make money. Less popular characters have less risk and less opportunity cost.

Kaiterra

Banned
Spencer completely ruined SamCap's potential. Made him into a useless, cowardly tool. Another writer deserved the chance to redeem his run.

They did it for Wally West and we had the best run of of Flash comics ever during that time. It lasted nearly 20 years.

I mean yes Barry came back, but his comics were never as good.

Mugsy

They did it for Wally West and we had the best run of of Flash comics ever during that time. It lasted nearly 20 years.

I mean yes Barry came back, but his comics were never as good.

Out of interest how long did Wally have as the only Flash before Barry came back into the picture?

Sandfox

I will say this. It's amazing how all of a sudden people are giving a shit about slam before he was captain falcon.

People don't know about the bradleys

I don't get why they retired Elijah. An off screen mention on how hes cool with new patriot is insulting too
One rumor I've heard is that the estate of Bradley's creator is behind it.

And Barry was himself taking up the legacy of Jay.
This is true. Same goes for Hal and Alan.

Out of interest how long did Wally have as the only Flash before Barry came back into the picture?
I mean Jay was always hanging around for advice, but Wally was the main Flash from '86 during Crisis of Infinite Earth's final issue to I think '06 when he disappeared into the Speed Force during Infinite Crisis. Then we had a year of Bart being Flash, and then he died, and Wally came back. And then in '08 Barry came back in Final Crisis. And then Wally was in practical limbo cause DC wanted to push Barry, and they erased the original Wally from the DCU with Nu52 in 2011.

aly

But he wasn't the first black Captain. Not even the last with Danielle Cage around.Nah I hated FalconCap. He's Falcon. Let him be Falcon. MCU Falcon is cool.It was never going to last long. Also he was super lame as Cap. Also incredible salty that Spencer put him with Misty.

Fuchsdh

Comics tropes are ultimately self-defeating for the stories they tell, news at eleven.

(I'm still a bit amazed they left Captain America dead for as long as they did.)

Buckle

I'd say Sam got treated with a lot more respect and legitimacy as Cap than Bucky ever did so theres that.

As awesome as Bucky Cap was (and I prefer him to the other two), felt like most of his run was just Avengers and everybody else reminding him he wasn't really Captain America and treating him like shit.

LordRaptor

As awesome as Bucky Cap was (and I prefer him to the other two), felt like most of his run was just Avengers and everybody else reminding him he wasn't really Captain America and treating him like shit.

I mean... he wasn't 'Bucky', he was the Winter Soldier and was coming off of decades of covert assassinations.
Most supes would side eyes Frank Castle or Deadpool becoming Cap too (and yes I know weirdly Wiolverine gets a pass on his huge bodycount because reasons)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I mean... he wasn't 'Bucky', he was the Winter Soldier and was coming off of decades of covert assassinations.
Most supes would side eyes Frank Castle or Deadpool becoming Cap too (and yes I know weirdly Wiolverine gets a pass on his huge bodycount because reasons)

Deadpool and frank weren't longtime friends and allies though. Bucky was in the trenches with cap. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

And wolverine doesn't get a pass. He's actively tried not to be a killer and is still conflicted about his past. Frank is a consistant murderer and wade still goes by the need with a mouth

JCHandsom

For the longest time I was expecting Bucky to pick up the title eventually, but more and more I feel like they're gonna swerve and make Falcon the Cap instead.

They need to serum him up if he's going to be the next Cap.

His reflecting pool lap times are pathetic.

rackham

Banned
I always thought he was a pretty lame hero like Hawkeye. Nothing really special about him except plot armor. Add to the fact that turning minorities into existing popular heroes just seems likes diversity for diversity's sake. It's dumb. It's not genuine and doesn't feel like they really give a shit. If they want cool minority heroes in the spotlight, then make great stories revolving around them instead of giving them the mantle of a popular hero.

Top Bottom