• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My First Gaming PC Comes in This Week - What Do I Play?

Kinthalis

Banned
I'd rather buy it on Xbox One, same graphics, but achievements, faster booting(instant on mode) and wireless gamepad

I have an Xbone and looking to pick up Ori sometime in the next couple of weeks (or whener I'm done with pillars and at least got some ways into GTA V) Hmmmm, let's compare shall we?

Same graphics? Well, my Tv isn't 1440p, butmy monitor is!

Achievements? Steam has those, for as much as I care about them.

Fatser booting? Nope, my PC, ALL PC's have had instant on since like 2005? I just wiggle my mouse and click on my game. In fact, load times are WAY faster on CP than consoles - nto sure to what extend that is an issue for Ori though.

Wireless game pad? My gamepad is wireless. Well, two of them are (xbox 360 and Ps4) My xbone gamepad is wired though, sadly. But I'll take choice of gamepad any day of the week.

Corpekata

Banned
Get a handful of multiplatform games you liked and blast them at 1080/60fps (or higher via DSR). Maybe stuff a few years old so the memory of them isn't totally fresh. I'm pretty much always playing through an old multiplatform I played on consoles at any given time and it's a pretty great upgrade. Just finished Bulletstorm.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Get a handful of multiplatform games you liked and blast them at 1080/60fps (or higher via DSR). Maybe stuff a few years old so the memory of them isn't totally fresh. I'm pretty much always playing through an old multiplatform at any given time. Just finished Bulletstorm.

Using DSR here or GeDoSaTo Here would be good since downsampling really makes some old games shine. Also looking at my game library I realize I don't care about graphics too much so the downsampling and games running better overall is still a good cherry on top of things.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks all!

Those of you with your PC hooked up to your TV, what do you use for keyboards/mice on your couch? Mechanical keyboard?

Also, what do you suggest for good lap boards that are long enough to hold a keyboard and mouse?

Here's my set-up, 65" Panasonic Plasma. A bit messy right now.

IMG_20150413_095012.jpg

Durante

Pillars of Eternity.

To test the power of your rig... Crysis 3 can be found for under a tenner, and Witcher 2 goes on sale often. GTA5 tonight/tomorrow.
This is a good first post.

Pillars of Eternity is not a performance test, but it's fucking amazing so who cares.

z1ggy

Diablo 3 + Reapers of Souls
Starcraft 2
Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity Original Sin
Ys Origin
Ys The Oath of Felghana
Amnesia
Outlast
Torchlight 2

And stay away from DOTA/LoL.

Thanks all!

Those of you with your PC hooked up to your TV, what do you use for keyboards/mice on your couch? Mechanical keyboard?

Also, what do you suggest for good lap boards that are long enough to hold a keyboard and mouse?

I play from my couch, and a keyboard/mouse is really cumbersome for me to be honest. I'll pull up a small desk for games that require a keyboard/mouse, but I just use my Dualshock 4 95% of the time. For simplier, slower-paced games like Cities-Skylines, I just use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DKZTMG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works pretty well for isometric games, city builders, RTS games, etc..

You get 3DMark and run all your benchmarks.

Then you go tweak things, maybe overclock, see if you can't get those 3DMark scores higher.

Then you buy a bunch of games from STEAM during sales, maybe trade for some codes.

Then you idle some games, get cards, then sell those cards to buy more games.

You do this until you get to 1,000 games.

If you can do this without actually playing any games, welcome to the club!

SparkTR

Play some Elite Dangerous, Age of Wonders III, Shogun 2 Total War, Homeworld Remastered, Banished and ArmA 3.

Also Wreckfest if you don't care about early access titles.

Ark

GTAV for sure. I'm also playing the crap out of Rome 2: Total War right now, the game is absolutely fantastic.

ryuken-d

So, thanks to a nice SlickDeal I ordered this:

HP ENVY Phoenix 810-430qe
4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 [DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP. DP]
8GB DDR3-1600MHz [1 DIMM ]
2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
HP WLAN 802.11 ac 2x2 DB MCard BT WIDI
Windows 8.1 64

I know I'll need to grab an SSD and up the RAM to 16GB, but I'll get to that.

I have a decent, albeit small, Steam library. What should I get to test the power of my first rig? I saw the X-Com mod looked pretty good, was thinking about grabbing that to play for a bit.

Also it's going to be interesting deciding where to buy games now, PC, PS4, or XBO. I'll likely grab Witcher 3 on PC now for sure.

System shock 2
the original Deus ex
Fallout 3 and NV with mods and Elder scrolls of course
darks souls

steam sales all day! buy anything under a few bucks haha.

astonish

DOTA2, Civ V, Cities: Skylines, Any of the blizzard games, Cookie Clicker, any of the 86,000 indie games you didn't have access to before.

OP gets hit first PC and most of you guys suggest a bunch of console ports (that he could've already played if he wanted to)

How about the many IPs and game types he's never been able to discover before:

cities: skylines (amazing city builder)

natural selection 2 (asynchronous multiplayer game , rts/fps hybrid, super good game)

unreal tournament (the new one, you can try it out already, it has very good graphics to try out your new pc)
http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/

dota 2

robocraft (multiplayer f2p game where you build robots from blocks and fight with them on big maps, has a surprising amount of depth, it's also very free to play, no need to pay a dime to enjoy all of it)

war thunder (f2p multiplayer plane combat game, has deep mechanics, a great learning curve yet is very accessible to start as a newbie, it's free2play so no harm in trying it out, it also has very pretty graphics)

trackmania 2 : canyon (arcade racing game with an amazing track editor, it has excellent gameplay and again pretty graphics)

ori and the blind forest (if you don't have an xbox one): (amazing and beautiful metroidvania style platformer, it's a joy to play)

There's dozens more I'd recommmend but I cba writing something for all of them, I just listed some of the best with an explenation for what they are.

some more:
-hand of fate
-xcom enemy unknown
-divinity: original sin
-dawn of war II
-civ V
-l4d2
-renegade ops
-counter strike

yuraya

Check out some great stuff like Divinity OS, Ground Zeroes, Dark Souls (with DSfix), Civ V and CSGO.

Skyrim and New Vegas with mods.

Also some F2P stuff like TF2, DOTA2 and Path of Exile are great as well.

etta

my hard graphic balls
All of the above are fantastic recommendations. GTA V, Dota, CS GO, Cities Skylines, Skyrim with mods. Crysis 3 if you wanna see some Cryengine maxed out, it's really beautiful.

Denton

Thanks all!

I have my PC connected to 55" Panny plasma and 24" LCD.
From couch I can recommend Logitech k400, small and awesome keyboard that sports good touchpad for all the system needs.
However I play all games on TV with controller, if some game requires mouse I play that on LCD.

Awesome setup btw. TV+PC is perfect combination - 1080p/60fps everywhere without compromises, ultra fast loadings, mods, majority of games. Best possible setup to have.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have my PC connected to 55" Panny plasma and 24" LCD.
From couch I can recommend Logitech k400, small and awesome keyboard that sports good touchpad for all the system needs.
However I play all games on TV with controller, if some game requires mouse I play that on LCD.

Awesome setup btw. TV+PC is perfect combination - 1080p/60fps everywhere without compromises, ultra fast loadings, mods, majority of games. Best possible setup to have.

Thanks! Ordered that keyboard.

Do you guys increase the UI 10 150% or anything for just regular browsing and use on a TV?

pestul

EDIT: Everything.gif is probably too big for MobileGAF

i1uWMNKDCsZEc.jpg

Far Cry 4 - runs really nice now (finally).
MGS:GZ - should be able to get it for less than $10 and looks/plays nice
GTA5
The Witcher 3 is coming.. and you've built a nice rig for it.

Fugu

It is disappointing, to say the least, to see so many console ports being recommended. Play some of the classics that make the PC unique, like Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, or Quake Live, not to mention the hundreds of others.

Noaloha

Age of Wonders 3
Cities: Skylines
Divinity: Original Sin

All good to go for a long while there with some PC-ass PC games.

pestul

It is disappointing, to say the least, to see so many console ports being recommended. Play some of the classics that make the PC unique, like Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, or Quake Live, not to mention the hundreds of others.
Yeah, it's mostly just what I've been playing currently. It's true that the real recommendations should be exclusives, even if the multiplats do look better. It's certainly easy to get lost in the indies if you browse a steam catalog too.

Thanks! Ordered that keyboard.

Do you guys increase the UI 10 150% or anything for just regular browsing and use on a TV?

Yes, I increase my UI to 150%, but you have to disable it on Steam or Big Picture Mode doesn't work correctly. You can do this but right clicking the Steam icon, going to properties, and disable UI scaling.

Go play the Witcher 2 at max settings with ubersampling on to test your rig.
Oh, and Skyrim ultimate edition with 4k textures mod.

zhXfJpq.png

Check out some great stuff like Divinity OS, Ground Zeroes, Dark Souls (with DSfix), Civ V and CSGO.

Skyrim and New Vegas with mods.

Also some F2P stuff like TF2, DOTA2 and Path of Exile are great as well.

This. Other than PC exclusives, Bethesda games with mods are completely different from the console counterparts. Not only the graphics but the gameplay as well. There's this Skyrim gameplay mod called Requiem which turns the experience into something similar to Souls game. It's great and you should check it out.

Also full ENB + grass mods in Skyrim will make even your 980 kneel at lowly 1080p.

Top Bottom