• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My GPU may be dying. What's the best 40-series NVIDIA card I can get for a grand?

Deft Beck

My compy is crashing whenever I play high-intensity games or VRChat for too long. I also get occasional black checkerboarding. I've had a 2070 Super since the pandemic, so it may be on its last legs.

I'm interested in a 40-series NVIDIA card to use for the next bunch of years. I currently have two 144hz 1080p monitors. I guess I could get a beefy card and supersample the image down to the 1080p screens. I don't really want to upgrade my screens right now.

Any suggestions?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My compy is crashing whenever I play high-intensity games or VRChat for too long.

If it's after prolonged sessions, then it could be an overheating issue. Cleaning your PC, cleaning your GPU specifically, repasting, and/or reapplying new thermal pads on the VRMs might solve your problems, but I don't know how technical you are or willing to do those kinds of fixes.

intbal

A grand will buy you six Ti 4600s

og4LDgG.jpeg

SyberWolf

Why three months? New GPUs debuting?
if it was me i would wait to buy, but i understand if you need one urgently.
most news websites seem to say late 2024 early 2025.
and like others said try cleaning the card or some new thermal paste. if you know how ofcourse.

tkscz

A 4080 Super for a grand. I wouldn't wait for the 5000 series. We haven't had an official announcement and a 4080 super will last you a while.

clarky

Gold Member
My living room 3080 shat the bed so i kinda side graded to a 4070, similar performance but with the 40 series features. Half the price of what your willing to spend as well.

Great card very happy with it.

danklord

Gold Member
Try to ride it out Geforce Now for the next few months and you'll be much, much happier.

Either the card you want today will be cheaper, or the next release will be perfect for you.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My living room 3080 shat the bed so i kinda side graded to a 4070, similar performance but with the 40 series features. Half the price of what your willing to spend as well.

Great card very happy with it.

yeah, I think I'd have to do some heavy research to justify 4080 Super over 4070 Super. That's a $400 upgrade.

YCoCg

Gold Member
If you're gonna spend that much then at least wait for the 5080 which should be out later this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why three months? New GPUs debuting?
Yes, in September. Launching October. If you can get something to tide you over I would say it's worth waiting.
The mantra of pc players "never buy anything cause new stuff is coming SOMEDAY"

This is so disingenuous. 4000 series is 2 years old and a new generation is like 4 months away. I would rather someone wait and get a card much cheaper or have the option to buy one from the new generation with better specs.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If you have to get a card now, then I would go for the 4070 Super, best price/performance of the gen and is essentially a 3090 for like a third of the cost.

While I see lots of advice or "wait a bit" I'm guessing you don't want a dead PC for 6+ months.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

If it's after prolonged sessions, then it could be an overheating issue. Cleaning your PC, cleaning your GPU specifically, repasting, and/or reapplying new thermal pads on the VRMs might solve your problems, but I don't know how technical you are or willing to do those kinds of fixes.
I used to do IT and I like to build PCs; I am decently technical.

Power supply going bad? Check that first before dropping a grand.

How do I do that?

I mean, couldn’t you have just googled 40 series prices?
With how AI-infested search results are these days, I wanted to ask actual people.

If you have to get a card now, then I would go for the 4070 Super, best price/performance of the gen and is essentially a 3090 for like a third of the cost.

While I see lots of advice or "wait a bit" I'm guessing you don't want a dead PC for 6+ months.

I really don't have to get a card right now. If I really needed to play a high fidelity game, I have a gaming laptop with a 2060 Super in it (mainly for travel), a Steam Deck, and consoles galore.

reduce your GPU's power limit by at least 25% and see if it goes away.
this'll reduce voltage and clocks, so less stress and heat.

troubleshoot a bit before buying.
could just be your vram's getting a bit too hot or something.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Mainly in Edge, yeah.
That's cromium based yeah, good news dude your card is fine, it's Microsoft being idiots and breaking shit.

Originally thought it was an Nividia issue but turns out it was windows all along. They actually fixed it in December and then broke it again an update later, what a joke.

Make sure you kill the applications when your running games, suspect this is your problem.

Last edited:
Yes, in September. Launching October. If you can get something to tide you over I would say it's worth waiting.

This is so disingenuous. 4000 series is 2 years old and a new generation is like 4 months away. I would rather someone wait and get a card much cheaper or have the option to buy one from the new generation with better specs.

You're probably right, and well intentioned, but literally every time somebody asks about getting a new part there's people telling them to wait for the next big thing with a vague date.

The mantra of console players, "Todd said it was 16x the detail and Hermann loves robot dinosaurs. MOM, GET THE CREDIT CARD!"

Your insecurities are showing

Crayon

Not advice for op, but a question:

If you have a gpu on the rocks like this, could tweaking it like limiting the power a bit stave off the inevitable for a minute?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I guess I could get a beefy card and supersample the image down to the 1080p screens. I don't really want to upgrade my screens right now.
get a 4070 then for half the price- you're playing on 1080p only so that will be overkill (aka it will last you longer than 3 years), and you don't really need supersampling when you have DLSS.

Last edited:
I'd agree if he had a 60hz display, but they are 144hz so quite a few games won't reach that fully maxed out, even at 1080p. You can always use DLSS, but even quality at 1080p has a drop in fidelity.
tbh, OP's issues could be just overheating and not a dying GPU.

OP, when's last time you clean your PC?

Deft Beck

tbh, OP's issues could be just overheating and not a dying GPU.

OP, when's last time you clean your PC?
Like, last week. Cleaning it out helped for a while, but then I had issues again. I found that not browsing the web with a billion tabs open simultaneously helps.

Maybe I need to replace the cooling system? I have a liquid cooling system that's about two years old.

SScorpio

Like, last week. Cleaning it out helped for a while, but then I had issues again. I found that not browsing the web with a billion tabs open simultaneously helps.

Maybe I need to replace the cooling system? I have a liquid cooling system that's about two years old.
You mention having two monitors, download HWInfo and get the CPU and GPU temps listed in the side monitor and start game. What temps are they after some heavy gaming for a while?

As others mentioned, you might need to remove your GPU's cooler and repaste it. Limiting the max power to 95% might also help.

If you aren't planning to upgrade from 1080p displays anytime soon, there's zero reason to go above a 4070 Super.

Top Bottom