• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My GPU may be dying. What's the best 40-series NVIDIA card I can get for a grand?

Deft Beck

You mention having two monitors, download HWInfo and get the CPU and GPU temps listed in the side monitor and start game. What temps are they after some heavy gaming for a while?

As others mentioned, you might need to remove your GPU's cooler and repaste it. Limiting the max power to 95% might also help.

If you aren't planning to upgrade from 1080p displays anytime soon, there's zero reason to go above a 4070 Super.

You mean the CPU cooler, right? I just ordered some new paste today, and it'll be here tomorrow.

StereoVsn

If OP actually needs the card, ie it’s not Cooling, PSU or drivers, AND 1080P at up to 144hz is fine, then 4070 Super is fine.

However if one is thinking of upgrading monitors in the near future I would grab 4080 Super (if I couldn’t wait till Q1 2025).

If your goal is to spend $1k and no less, then yeah just get a 4080 Super. That will make sure you're set for resolutions up to 4K in case you ever upgrade your displays in the future. And even if you don't, you can still use DLDSR for insane AA quality with downsampling

With rumors the 50 series is being delayed to early 2025, there isn't much reason to wait if your GPU is dying now

If I were you though, I would thoroughly clean and dust the inside of my PC and maybe pull the video card apart and clean it real good and reapply the thermal paste and see if that helps. Usually checkerboarding during gameplay is due to the GPU core starting to fail but you might get lucky. Also you can try underclocking it a bit and that might keep it going a bit longer if you want to try and limp into 2025 to buy 50 series

Last edited:

Deft Beck

Okay, I wasn't aware you could replace the thermal paste on the GPU. I will try that out.

If I do end up replacing my monitors in the future, should I get 4K 144hz?

Esppiral

My compy is crashing whenever I play high-intensity games or VRChat for too long. I also get occasional black checkerboarding. I've had a 2070 Super since the pandemic, so it may be on its last legs.

I'm interested in a 40-series NVIDIA card to use for the next bunch of years. I currently have two 144hz 1080p monitors. I guess I could get a beefy card and supersample the image down to the 1080p screens. I don't really want to upgrade my screens right now.

Any suggestions?
Google is your friend

poodaddy

Gold Member
4080 Super. 5000 series might launch in 6 months but it is rumored that it could be delayed until Q1 2025.
This, and it's also rumored to mostly be a paper launch too, though there have also been rumors to the opposite. Regardless of which is true, the launch seems a bit far out if you need a GPU.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This, and it's also rumored to mostly be a paper launch too, though there have also been rumors to the opposite. Regardless of which is true, the launch seems a bit far out if you need a GPU.
Going by past launches, the 5xxx series will be accompanied by a price increase and terrible shortages for 3+ months. Realistically it could be a year and a lot more than $1000 before most people get a 5080 who want one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My compy is crashing whenever I play high-intensity games or VRChat for too long. I also get occasional black checkerboarding. I've had a 2070 Super since the pandemic, so it may be on its last legs.

I'm interested in a 40-series NVIDIA card to use for the next bunch of years. I currently have two 144hz 1080p monitors. I guess I could get a beefy card and supersample the image down to the 1080p screens. I don't really want to upgrade my screens right now.

Any suggestions?
A grand will get you a 4080 Super, but if you’re driving that on a 1080p 144Hz panel much of performance is going to waste. In fact it would be beyond idiotic to buy a 4080 if that’s your monitor. You’re better off buying a 4070 Ti (or 7900XT) for $700 and using the $300 to get a 1440p/240Hz monitor. You’ll be in a whole new world.

Deft Beck

A grand will get you a 4080 Super, but if you’re driving that on a 1080p 144Hz panel much of performance is going to waste. In fact it would be beyond idiotic to buy a 4080 if that’s your monitor. You’re better off buying a 4070 Ti (or 7900XT) for $700 and using the $300 to get a 1440p/240Hz monitor. You’ll be in a whole new world.

I want to keep my dual monitors because I do creative stuff (webcomics, audio dramas, etc.) as a hobby. I like the productivity boost from dual monitors.

Two 4K monitors is a big investment.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have a 2060 Super its doing fine but if it was dying I would buy a cheap 1660 super or something to hold me over

RTX 5000 is gonna be a decent leap its worth the wait

• Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I want to keep my dual monitors because I do creative stuff (webcomics, audio dramas, etc.) as a hobby. I like the productivity boost from dual monitors.

Two 4K monitors is a big investment.
You can still keep your 1080p monitors. You can just replace one of them with a 1440p/240Hz. You don't need to invest in 4K. Do I really have to explain this to you? Please don't tell me you're one of those people who must have the exact same monitors. I use a 32" 4K/240Hz and a 27inch 4K monitor for my dual monitor and it still allows me to be creative.

You said you had a grand to spend. A 4070 Ti or 7900XT can be had for around $700. You'll have a harder time finding the 4070 Ti at that price. $300 can get you at outstanding 1440p/240 Hz monitor.

All your creative stuff will look better.

However, if you are just absolutely deadset on keeping a 1080p monitor, then just get something like a 7700XT or a vanilla 4070 for around $400-$500.

However, spending a $1000 on a 4080 Super, with only 1080p is a fucking stupid thing to do. Don't do it. Based on the fact that you are using a 2070 Super, I'd wager that you also have an older CPU.

Last edited:
OP, though the 4080S is a great card, I wouldn't recommend it at this point in the generation.

Wait and get a 5080 for almost the same price or the 5090 for 50% more than your budget, at $1500, which will last you another 2 years.

• LOL
Reactions: amc

Deft Beck

You can still keep your 1080p monitors. You can just replace one of them with a 1440p/240Hz. You don't need to invest in 4K. Do I really have to explain this to you? Please don't tell me you're one of those people who must have the exact same monitors. I use a 32" 4K/240Hz and a 27inch 4K monitor for my dual monitor and it still allows me to be creative.

You said you had a grand to spend. A 4070 Ti or 7900XT can be had for around $700. You'll have a harder time finding the 4070 Ti at that price. $300 can get you at outstanding 1440p/240 Hz monitor.

All your creative stuff will look better.

However, if you are just absolutely deadset on keeping a 1080p monitor, then just get something like a 7700XT or a vanilla 4070 for around $400-$500.

However, spending a $1000 on a 4080 Super, with only 1080p is a fucking stupid thing to do. Don't do it. Based on the fact that you are using a 2070 Super, I'd wager that you also have an older CPU.

I was under the impression that if you have multiple monitors, they should be running at the same resolution and refresh rate so as not to cause issues.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800X.

I think your GPU would really prefer if you just spent her last moments together with her. All thus talk of a "40 something new girl" and a replacement while she lays on her deathbed is causing her a great deal of anxiety.

Just take the time go remember those good moments you had in her final operating hours.

SoloCamo

I was under the impression that if you have multiple monitors, they should be running at the same resolution and refresh rate so as not to cause issues.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800X.

On modern gpu's it's not a problem. I've been running a 4k main display (28") with a 1080 (24") secondary monitor for the longest time. Both are 60hz mind you, but even if you had a monitor with a faster refresh it's not going to hurt anything except maybe your eyes as they won't be in sync.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800X.
Allow me to rock your world. It’s 100% a non issue. Dual monitors can run just fine being different in every way. Different brand, different resolution. Different refresh rate. No issue,

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On modern gpu's it's not a problem. I've been running a 4k main display (28") with a 1080 (24") secondary monitor for the longest time. Both are 60hz mind you, but even if you had a monitor with a faster refresh it's not going to hurt anything except maybe your eyes as they won't be in sync.
It won’t hurt your eyes in any way. My 4k is at 240 and my 1440 is at 60 (can go to 170)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
4070TiS or 4080S

Yeah wiating a few more months is always a thing.
But just pull the trigger and skip blackwell and start playing, considering you were on Turing for this long, waiting till your 16GB card is "bad" you can upgrade to a 60 or maybe even a 70 series card.

SoloCamo

At around $1,000 you'd be better served getting a 4070ti / 7900XT and a 5700X3d / 5800X3d. That will be a far more well rounded system, especially for 1080 144hz. Sell the 5800X to get some cash back.

At 1080p a X3D chip paired with a 4070ti will probably get better fps on average (and especially low fps) in more titles than a 5800X non 3d with a 4080S.

It won’t hurt your eyes in any way. My 4k is at 240 and my 1440 is at 60 (can go to 170)

Moving the mouse between the two isn't jarring to you? I can see the difference going from 60 to 75hz between monitors, I can't imagine going from 60 to 240...

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
At around $1,000 you'd be better served getting a 4070ti / 7900XT and a 5700X3d / 5800X3d. That will be a far more well rounded system, especially for 1080 144hz. Sell the 5800X to get some cash back.

At 1080p a X3D chip paired with a 4070ti will probably get better fps on average (and especially low fps) in more titles than a 5800X non 3d with a 4080S.

Moving the mouse between the two isn't jarring to you? I can see the difference going from 60 to 75hz between monitors, I can't imagine going from 60 to 240...
If he is using a 1080p/144 and refuses to upgrade then there is no reason to get anything more than a 4070/7700XT. None. Those cards will go well beyond 144 fps in most games.

Jarring in what way? I mean yes I can tell that there is a refresh rate difference, but I don’t do anything important on the 60 Hz screen to give two shits. I mainly have my email and word documents on that screen. Does it bother me? No, I’ve never remotely found it distracting or given it a second thought. The bulk of my work is done of my 4K/240 Hz. Aside from gaming nothing I do requires over 60 fps.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

If he is using a 1080p/144 and refuses to upgrade then there is no reason to get anything more than a 4070/7700XT. None. Those cards will go well beyond 144 fps in most games.

Yes, this game is a heavy hitter but it's not the only one...

A 4070 / 7700XT are barely above 60fps at 1080p... a 4090 isn't even hitting 144hz at 1080p. He's coming from a 2070 which he probably wouldn't be in a rush to replace if it wasn't dying so he obviously intended to keep the gpu for a while. Why gimp himself now and have to upgrade again in the near future? Also consider vram use long term. Games aren't going to get less demanding... Just like my 6900XT used to handle 4k fine for most titles now it's turning into a 1440p card in many at max settings.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, this game is a heavy hitter but it's not the only one...

A 4070 / 7700XT are barely above 60fps at 1080p... a 4090 isn't even hitting 144hz at 1080p. He's coming from a 2070 which he probably wouldn't be in a rush to replace if it wasn't dying so he obviously intended to keep the gpu for a while. Why gimp himself now and have to upgrade again in the near future? Also consider vram use long term. Games aren't going to get less demanding... Just like my 6900XT used to handle 4k fine for most titles now it's turning into a 1440p card in many at max settings.
You bring up one game. It doesn't sound like he is playing Hellblade.

SScorpio

You mean the CPU cooler, right? I just ordered some new paste today, and it'll be here tomorrow.
Nope, the GPU. The RTX 2000 series is old enough to where they might start needing a repaste.

Disassembling the cooler is more complex than taking the one off your CPU, but it can be done. Watch a video or two, and then just go slow. There could be short cables for the fans that you don't want to damage them or the sockets.

Top Bottom