• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA discovers "bonanza" of supermassive black holes, hot DOGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

I really hate the tortured acronyms plaguing science projects. Hot DOGs? MACHOs and WIMPs? WISE? It's bad enough dealing with insane metrics in astronomy like magnitude without this shit.

Science GAF - does this change how we think about dark matter now? As far as I know, dark matter as a concept explains that the reason our universe doesn't contain as much matter as is predicted by our physics models is because the majority of it is dark or undetectable. It always reminded me of the luminous ether, more a hand waving explanation of something we don't understand rather than a real answer.

Is it possible that there is far, far more out there than we previously thought? Perhaps all of that missing matter is there, we just can't see it in the visible wavelength because it is literally dark.

I don't think so. Dark matter isn't meant to explain simply missing mass in the universe at large, but more for when examining the dynamics of galaxies themselves. Dark matter is also supposed to have unique properties like being very diffuse to solve the galactic rotation curve problem and finding super massive blackholes does nothing to solve that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I really hate the tortured acronyms plaguing science projects. Hot DOGs? MACHOs and WIMPs? WISE? It's bad enough dealing with insane metrics in astronomy like magnitude without this shit.
Nowhere near as bad as the military at least.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
On the other side of the black hole lies the dark matter, matter which does not belong to our universe, nor does it seems compatible with our SUN.

There's another universe on the other side, problem is, if you try to go there, your body defragmentize into particles, and become white energy in their universe.

The supposed beings on the other side have lived since before us, so they would have the tech to make contact without turning into dust.

Well that's what Nissan's Morgan Freeman Special says on parallel universes says, at least.

Citing various Doctors\Professors\Scientists in physics.

Subitai

Reaper_fleet-1-.png

Oh fuck.
Beaten
Like noobs on platinum
!

bndadm

Whatever they have found...we need to keep funding it.

I love this stuff.

Time to send in the Event Horizon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom