• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2023-2024 Regular Season and Playoffs lOTl

Who will win the NBA championship?

• Warriors

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Suns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nuggets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Wizards

• Nets

• Bulls

• Mavericks

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Jazz

• Clippers

• Cavaliers

• Heat

• 76ers

• Lakers

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Grizzlies

• Trailblazers

• Knicks

• Hornets

• Raptors

• Thunder

• Celtics

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Kings

• Bucks

• Spurs

• Pacers

• Hawks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bender

What time is it?
They took out the 4, 1, and 3 seeds in the west to get here. The Celtics meanwhile were beating up on a bunch of injured opponents in the east.

I knew Boston had the better roster but I thought Dallas would look a little more battle-tested than this.

Blowing that big comeback last night seems like the final nail in the coffin.

Kind of felt like it was over when their big first quarter lead dwindled to single point by the end of the period. Luka certainly doesn't help himself out with how he carries himself on the court, but it feels like we'll be moving past the media darling phase of his career and entering the can you win a championship with him as your #1 phase that plagued Dirk. We've already started to hear those grumblings since it's easy to compare Luka's game to Hardens, though Luka is much more of a playoff performer than James can ever hope to be. I'll give Luka a bit of charity due to the injuries he's played through and how far they've made it, but the roster is outclassed so I'm not sure a healthy Luka changes the outcome of this series. Dallas needs another piece, I'm just not sure how they get it with the assets they have. Maybe this ass kicking will also be a good wakeup call for Luka to stop bitching at refs and letting his defense play 4v5, pay more care to playing defense, and finally taking better care of his body in the offseason. I kind of doubt it though.

NickFire

They took out the 4, 1, and 3 seeds in the west to get here. The Celtics meanwhile were beating up on a bunch of injured opponents in the east.

I knew Boston had the better roster but I thought Dallas would look a little more battle-tested than this.

Blowing that big comeback last night seems like the final nail in the coffin.
The Celtics seeding was determined by their stellar regular season record. And they didn't really beat up on their opponents. They destroyed them quickly and with mercy. Also, they played almost all games without the 7'3 center. It's not like they were at full strength.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I understand the Mavs earned their spot but cant help but wonder how the Nuggets or TWolves would have done against the Celtics?

Lunarorbit

Kind of felt like it was over when their big first quarter lead dwindled to single point by the end of the period. Luka certainly doesn't help himself out with how he carries himself on the court, but it feels like we'll be moving past the media darling phase of his career and entering the can you win a championship with him as your #1 phase that plagued Dirk. We've already started to hear those grumblings since it's easy to compare Luka's game to Hardens, though Luka is much more of a playoff performer than James can ever hope to be. I'll give Luka a bit of charity due to the injuries he's played through and how far they've made it, but the roster is outclassed so I'm not sure a healthy Luka changes the outcome of this series. Dallas needs another piece, I'm just not sure how they get it with the assets they have. Maybe this ass kicking will also be a good wakeup call for Luka to stop bitching at refs and letting his defense play 4v5, pay more care to playing defense, and finally taking better care of his body in the offseason. I kind of doubt it though.
I don't understand kidds strategy with these rotations. I heard hardaway was the 3rd leading scorer for them but he hasn't done anything since coming back.

Derek Jones jr... I forget he's out there cause he also hasn't done squat. Same with kleber. Dante exum cancer in and threw down a crazy dunk and then he was gone.

Kyrie and Luka have been getting hunted on D. Just a really bad match up for dallas. If they had taken one in Boston especially with tingus out then it's a different series. But the celts just tweeted out a picture with him at practice with the eyes emoji so he might play tonight

bender

What time is it?
I don't understand kidds strategy with these rotations. I heard hardaway was the 3rd leading scorer for them but he hasn't done anything since coming back.

Derek Jones jr... I forget he's out there cause he also hasn't done squat. Same with kleber. Dante exum cancer in and threw down a crazy dunk and then he was gone.

Kyrie and Luka have been getting hunted on D. Just a really bad match up for dallas. If they had taken one in Boston especially with tingus out then it's a different series. But the celts just tweeted out a picture with him at practice with the eyes emoji so he might play tonight

DJJ is a starter and plays great defense. Any offensive production you get from him is a bonus. Maxi gives them a big who can guard on the perimeter so he's another defensive piece though he's been really gun shy since coming back from his shoulder injury he suffered in the Clippers series. Dante was really great in the regular season but disappeared in the playoffs. He plays good D (notice a trend?) and can handle the ball (something most Mavs players outside of Luka and Kyrie can't). THJ sucks and I've hated him since he was part of the Porzingis trade and I couldn't believe they gave him another contract. He's incredibly streaky, can't dribble and if his shot isn't falling, doesn't give you much else. I'd have given his minutes to Hardy if Kidd wants an offensive spark. Hardy's had a sneaky good playoffs considering his limited minutes and general inexperience.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Worst NBA playoffs I can remember. Two good series, a champion that basically got to sleepwalk through, and very little to take from it except maybe the Twolves have a window and Luka needs to get into shape once and for all.

NickFire

I'm hoping the Celtics will demoralize and run up a huge lead early tonight.

NBA made Scott Foster the crew chief tonight.

bender

What time is it?
mavs was the team with the best chance of beating the celtics IMO

I'd say Denver. I think people forget that Dallas has been the underdog all playoffs with maybe the exception of the Clippers. Boston has such a deep team but they've put up some weird performances in the playoffs and really haven't been challenged much. I don't think Boston has played well offensively in the finals either but their game plan against Dallas defensively has been excellent. Kyrie no-showing in Boston didn't help and Luka's injuries and, to a greater degree, his immaturity have made this an awful series. Maybe this will get Luka to grow-up but I can't tell you how many times I've said that in his short career. He'll be good for a game or two and then go back to being petulant. I still think the Mavs are a piece a way and this post season has been a rousing success that will be overlooked because of an ugly finals.

Lunarorbit

Well that was an old fashioned ass beating. Made it to the 4th quarter.... the announcers were really bad without the game being compelling.

Celts in 5?

Romulus

Kinda feel like this series could easily be 2-2 if it weren't for Luka fouling out in game 3.

Either way, I don't think the mavs can make it beyond game 5. They're psychologically and physically beat down.

Lunarorbit

Kyrie didn’t show up in this series and Luka is still going to get all the blame for the loss.
Kyrie is completely shook at the garden. He's been playing 3rd eye mind games for so long his confidence fell off the edge of the earth. He's not a leader at all and that's a role Luka has never developed.

This was dallas' chance. The west is gonna be better next year and I don't see them making it outta the semis

Topher

Gold Member
That half court shot at the half for Prichard was pretty awesome. Happy for my Celtics. Holiday and Porzingis were huge gets this year. They keep this group intact and I see no reason why they shouldn't be in the finals again next year.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Well that finals was ass.

At least Twolves vs Nugs/Mavs and Knicks v. Pacers was good
Overall the entire playoffs (and finals) were the equivalent of a wet fart. A couple decent series in the West but that was about it. Hilarious watching talking heads this morning trying to talk up Tatum by looking at his stat line - nobody ever questioned that the dude was great at scoring when his team has a big lead (where most of his points came). JB definitely deserved fMVP.

Rickyiez

Kyrie is completely shook at the garden. He's been playing 3rd eye mind games for so long his confidence fell off the edge of the earth. He's not a leader at all and that's a role Luka has never developed.

This was dallas' chance. The west is gonna be better next year and I don't see them making it outta the semis
I do see the Mav could have another go next season. This team was built 4 months ago, and Luka was playing with bleeding knees the entire playoff and he's on painkiller for chest injury in the final.

They just need to add a more reliable 3rd option for the playoff

Romulus

The most surprising part to me wasn't the Celtics defense, it was the wide open shots the Mavs missed. They could have made it a series if they would have knocked down some of them. Forget shooting the lights out, they didn't even need to do that.

offtopic

I do see the Mav could have another go next season. This team was built 4 months ago, and Luka was playing with bleeding knees the entire playoff and he's on painkiller for chest injury in the final.

They just need to add a more reliable 3rd option for the playoff
Yeah I think the Mavs will be better next year with more time together and experience for Lively. That said, the West is a meatgrinder and even if they get better it will be difficult to get back. Even if a few teams have injuries or down years there will always be 3-4 extremely good teams to get through.

bender

What time is it?
not sure what happened but Luka looked like a fat guy that can't shoot 3's

Something was/is wrong with his knee for most of the playoffs. Rumor is that he got an injection in knee to stop the swelling in the Thunder series. He was also taking shots to dull the pain of a rib bruise he got in game one of the finals. And because he acts like a massive dick to the refs and he's a massive human being for a point guard, defenders are allowed to give him the Shaq treatment on the perimeter. He also is a little fat and a so-so three point shooter who shoots worst percentages because of the degree of difficulty shots he takes. I think the end result was just him wearing down. Even if Luka was right and even if Kyrie didn't no-show every game at the Garden, the Mavs were still deserved underdogs, just like they were all playoffs except that Boston team is incredibly deep.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
yEYuaDO.gif

offtopic

such a satisfying season if you are a celts fan, i actually watched almost every game this season, such a good team
They really are. Just a masterclass in roster construction (saying this as a Warriors fan...I'm jealous). Players 1-8 are all good-great 3 pt shooters in addition to having other really good offensive skills (handles, drives, post-ups) and being outstanding defenders. They really are really the epitome of having every player on the floor at all times being a threat from 3 while not sacrificing size, athleticism, play-making or defense. Honestly hard to figure out how Stevens did it - Tatum is a top 10 player, Brown top 15, Jrue top 20, White top 30, Porzingis top 25 (when healthy), Horford top 40-50. That is wild.

Lunarorbit

They really are. Just a masterclass in roster construction (saying this as a Warriors fan...I'm jealous). Players 1-8 are all good-great 3 pt shooters in addition to having other really good offensive skills (handles, drives, post-ups) and being outstanding defenders. They really are really the epitome of having every player on the floor at all times being a threat from 3 while not sacrificing size, athleticism, play-making or defense. Honestly hard to figure out how Stevens did it - Tatum is a top 10 player, Brown top 15, Jrue top 20, White top 30, Porzingis top 25 (when healthy), Horford top 40-50. That is wild.
I think stability really helps with these moves. The celtics really like Stevens and he showed he had no ego when he seamlessly went from coach to gm.

Look at the 76ers and Brooklyn. They wanted to either take a short cut (by making ridiculous deals) or were super mismanaged. 2 of bostons rivals helped them out massively.

Detroit just fired Monty Williams 1 year into a 6 year deal. The stupidity of some of these teams is unreal. Milwaukee trades jrue holiday to get a broken down dame and then end up giving boston the ultimate Marcus smart replacement. Plus the bucks hired doc rivers which hasn't been a good idea in years.

Boston is also able to go over the luxury tax. The new NBC TV deal will raise the cap so the tatum and brown deals wont be that bad.

Top Bottom