• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

T.O.P

Banned
My favourite! And they can be customised a lot or not?

I guess standard customizations like the other cars? i haven't driven those two specifically in the beta

I just can't take my eyes off of this game. I absolutely adore the visuals on display here. It's simply mesmerizing. The quality of the materials, lighting, and post-fx are just insane. Very excited to see this on the PC at 60fps at some point (provided that's possible).

It shouldn't even be that taxing considering that it's the same engine as SWBF3 (right?)

The PC Beta ran amazingly well on my 970 with locked 60 fps...i'm just hoping that the X1 version won't burn me too much excluding a double dip on the PC one

Kezen

Banned
I just can't take my eyes off of this game. I absolutely adore the visuals on display here. It's simply mesmerizing. The quality of the materials, lighting, and post-fx are just insane. Very excited to see this on the PC at 60fps at some point (provided that's possible).

I don't see anything here that's not feasable on PC at 60fps. With proper engineering, of course.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't see anything here that's not feasable on PC at 60fps. With proper engineering, of course.
Ah, my comment only reflects on the situation with Rivals. Need for Speed has been down the "locked 30fps" route far too many times now so I'm always a bit worried. Here's hoping they've learned.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Ill have to skip this one. I recently picked up Driveclub, Forza 6, Forza Horizon 2, and even Mario Kart 8 so I'm pretty much raced out for now. Games gorgeous though, anyone know what engine this is in?

Kezen

Banned
Ah, my comment only reflects on the situation with Rivals. Need for Speed has been down the "locked 30fps" route far too many times now so I'm always a bit worried. Here's hoping they've learned.

I had no issues running Rivals at 60fps (with SSAA), but you need a command line for that and most importantly it needs to be sustained.
But it's totally possible.

I remember "The Run" or whatever it was called to be locked at 30fps also.

Considering they are postponing the PC version 60fps has to be an important goal for them.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kezen said:
I had no issues running Rivals at 60fps (with SSAA), but you need a command line for that and most importantly it needs to be sustained.
The hack to enable 60 broke the game completely whenever you dropped frames.
Adding the fact that the game was very CPU limited (older I7s would drop below 40fps regularly even if you run it at 480P), it was problematic. Granted the game had bigger issues than framerate, but that's another story.

The Run was better in the sense that unlocking the framerate didn't require locking the logic-update to 16ms (and that game actually ran worse with 30fps lock, ironically).

LordRaiden

Neo Member
Rubber banding is another way of saying "Our A.I is absolute horse manure!"

Fuck it, i'm out. Rubberbanding is cheap, cringeworthy, frustrating and lackluster.

There is no excuse, in this day and age, to use it. There is 1 reason devs use it. LAZINESS!!

This isn't fucking 1994 is it!?

Rubber banding is another way of saying "Our A.I is absolute horse manure!"

Fuck it, i'm out. Rubberbanding is cheap, cringeworthy, frustrating and lackluster.

There is no excuse, in this day and age, to use it. There is 1 reason devs use it. LAZINESS!!

This isn't fucking 1994 is it!?

As I mentioned before, it's also annoying to have a Lambo fully specced out(or as best as you could in the beta) and still find that you're losing to some crap random Ford car. The A.I should stay losing if I'm good.

SliChillax

But it's totally possible.

I remember "The Run" or whatever it was called to be locked at 30fps also.

Considering they are postponing the PC version 60fps has to be an important goal for them.
The Run was only locked at 30 with vsync on. I remember playing the game at 60fps with no problems. Handling was garbage though.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
As I mentioned before, it's also annoying to have a Lambo fully specced out(or as best as you could in the beta) and still find that you're losing to some crap random Ford car. The A.I should stay losing if I'm good.

Exactly. I remember this shit from Underground 1. MY R34 was tuned all the way, only to be decimated by the "A.I" in the last corner of the last lap.

Removed all upgrades and I won without too much of a hassle.

So upgrading the car only made the rubberbanding worse.

This has been in all NFS games except Shift. I hate it with all my heart and it's this POS design choice that's stopping me from buying it.

IF i'm the better driver, I want to see that by the distance between me and the rest of the grid.

Rubberbanding erases all need for skill and replaces it with random luck.

Fuck that.

The following has been said numerous times, but now it's serious: Pre-order cancelled.

Kezen

Banned
The hack to enable 60 broke the game completely whenever you dropped frames.
Adding the fact that the game was very CPU limited (older I7s would drop below 40fps regularly even if you run it at 480P), it was problematic. Granted the game had bigger issues than framerate, but that's another story.
The Run was better in the sense that unlocking the framerate didn't require locking the logic-update to 16ms (and that game actually ran worse with 30fps lock, ironically).
My 4770k had no issues sustaining 60fps with a 780 with PPAA, a 970 did the job with 2xSSAA. 60fps consistently.

I hate rubber banding and I'm sure someone will take offense to me saying this but it's also fucking lazy and I find it hard to believe there would be hardware issues (even with the meager current gen consoles' CPU) preventing other AI controlled racers from having their own traits/stats along with whatever they're driving not suddenly being able to go 200MPH regardless of the vehicle's actual top speed.

Also can't wait for the connection issues related topic, yes I know they're supposedly using dedicated servers this time around but let's see how they handle a ton of players. Rivals pretty much killed my interest in ever buying another NFS game day one or shortly after launch as long as it continues the direction started with that one.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
I hate rubber banding and I'm sure someone will take offense to me saying this but it's also fucking lazy and I find it hard to believe there would be hardware issues (even with the meager current gen consoles' CPU) preventing other AI controlled racers from having their own traits/stats along with whatever they're driving not suddenly being able to go 200MPH regardless of the vehicle's actual top speed.
Rubberbanding is the one thing I hate more in life then mustard and taxes. Hence my last few posts in this topic.

bud23

VG247 Preview:

The latest entry in the Need for Speed series treads familiar grounds and flaunts old fantasies, but it also fails to capture the Underground glory years.

Always online bullshit

Other players are technically there, but, much like a few things about this game, their presence is rarely felt. The only way to get any sort of multiplayer going is to hang around, waiting for other cars to pass by so you can politely initiate a race against them.

Exploring the city isn’t too exciting. Nothing really has you itching for another race or a part to unlock. It all feels very timid.

Yes, most roads are wide enough for drifting or overtakes, but they all look like they’re built from the same texture of wet asphalt, like it’s just stopped raining this very instant all over the city. If you’re not racing against the incredibly rubber-bandy AI, you will be getting knocked out of place by a speeding player who’s participating in their own race and having their own fun.

More here

http://www.vg247.com/2015/11/02/need-for-speed-its-no-underground/

I became the speed icon this morning. The last couple of races were pretty nuts.

I'm going to try to beat the other paths. The last builder race (Component Parts?) was insane.

The lambo I'm driving is too fast for the game and its city, and it's like a rocket I'm just barely in control of sometimes.

Bgamer90

Banned
The only way that I could understand NFS being online only is if EA wants NFS to be a platform this current gen instead of making multiple games.

There's nothing NFS does that's different from the last 2-3 NFS games that warrants this game to be online only.

Pachinko

The graphics for this look so good and it should have been a shoe in remake of NFS underground. Instead it sounds like forced always online and a boring open world layout (along with some apparent bugs) really knock this one down.

I wish Drive Club was a bit easier to play , I'd just buy that for 20 bucks instead :p

The graphics for this look so good and it should have been a shoe in remake of NFS underground. Instead it sounds like forced always online and a boring open world layout (along with some apparent bugs) really knock this one down.

I wish Drive Club was a bit easier to play , I'd just buy that for 20 bucks instead :p

They are patching in braking assist options for Drive Club. Check it out, it's a great game

Karak

That's mine. I thought I posted it weird.
I also hated the entire soundtrack it just doesn't seem to fit a racing game at all and isn't any of the best tracks from those artists. Which was shocking to say the least as I liked the prior games soundtracks but here they feel either ill fitting or just aren't very good representations of the bands.
I also felt that the number of events wasn't as bad as others but that's probably offset, in my mind, due to the challenging of NPC's and Players.

When racing if you stop, just put the brakes on, at times you can see all the other cars slow way the f down.

The worst event I had so far was being in second and being beat by a good amount due to 2 massive misturns where I went a good 200 feet the wrong way and had to turn around.
I ended up trying to finish the event and ended up winning it blowing away the 1st place (Spike) like he was standing still. Its insane.

Lgndryhr

Good review ACG. I was disappointed by the beta and I see they did not do much to improve on the final product. Sighs. Would love to like a NFS title again.

Karak

Good review ACG. I was disappointed by the beta and I see they did not do much to improve on the final product. Sighs. Would love to like a NFS title again.

Thanks. I agree. As a fan of these since the very first and knowing that some are better than others, I wasn't devastated but as I say in the Funfactor section. I actually had a good time and that almost makes it worse. Because the rubberbanding, lack of various options and so forth mean that the fun has far too high a cost.

Arttemis

So to improve this game:

Remove mandatory online
Improve AI
Add manual transmission
Add cockpit view
Add wheel support

None of these seems like a hurdle for EA... but I don't have faith in it ever happening - be it DLC or in a sequel.

Karak

So to improve this game:

Remove mandatory online
Improve AI
Add manual transmission
Add cockpit view
Add wheel support

None of these seems like a hurdle for EA... but I don't have faith in it ever happening - be it DLC or in a sequel.

And shore up framerate. Honestly if a game drops this low on a console it should be considered a release blocking bug. Even just a couple times.
Pausing during gameplay would go far in helping the narrative move more quickly as well.

Arttemis

And shore up framerate. Honestly if a game drops this low on a console it should be considered a release blocking bug. Even just a couple times.
Pausing during gameplay would go far in helping the narrative move more quickly as well.

If the game wasn't idiotically forced by EA to be always online, that would solve the lacking pause ability.

So to add to the list:

Improved performance
Dynamic time of day (instead of time being tied to location)

Karak

If the game wasn't idiotically forced by EA to be always online, that would solve the lacking pause ability.

So to add to the list:

Improved performance
Dynamic time of day (instead of time being tied to location)

Ya the dynamic time of day(night) needs to be done. Its absolutely mind boggling that it changes instantly while driving and is connected to locations. I can't remember a game that ever did that in the past.

Karak

That was good.

Game seems just as horrible as expected.

The only reason to even get this is for for 4k play on PC as I am sure it will look pretty damn amazing (it already looks nice on consoles).

4k would be ace. It would need cleaning up of the textures along the road though. Some are ok but some are straight up cottage cheese.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So to improve this game:

Remove mandatory online
Improve AI
Add manual transmission
Add cockpit view
Add wheel support

None of these will ever happen. Maybe in another game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My 4770k had no issues sustaining 60fps with a 780 with PPAA, a 970 did the job with 2xSSAA. 60fps consistently.
Wonderful. When Rivals was first released and I played with the PC version, I only had a GTX580. That wasn't possible.

Does that seem easy to you? Cause it's not. Not only it takes an insane amount of time to model proper interiors but it will also have a negative impact on performance since you're rendering more stuff inside the car.

Basically every other racing game out there has it now though, if Driveclub can do it with it's insane graphics then there's really no reason why NFS doesn't have it. Even GTA V has it lol.

Enosh

So to improve this game:

Remove mandatory online
Improve AI
Add manual transmission
Add cockpit view
Add wheel support

why are people expecting a cockpit view from nfs?
apart from some of the early ones and shift (which is more of a sim compared to the others) none of them had it

Top Bottom