• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo-Nazis will march on Yom Kippur in Sweden

Lunar15

I hope the Swedish people will organize to counter-protest in vastly greater numbers. We have to show people like this that they're small.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Don't the Scandinavian countries have policies against literal life-long imprisonments? They're more about rehabilitation and giving people a second chance, at least that's been the impression I've gotten.

I'm guessing he hasn't rehabilitated though...

Also, the police better act if they deviate from their path.

berzeli

Banned
And AFA is a violent sect of extreme-left anarchists. Perhaps you're right that it wouldn't be a completely peaceful demonstration either way, but with both groups there it's guaranteed to become violent.

Again, fuck both sides.
No they're a fairly loosely affiliated set of groups that includes a whole bunch of violent fuckheads. Revolutionära Fronten whilst they existed were a violent sect of leftists.

They're not the same.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"As long as we let the Nazis march around like they own the place and put those minorities in their place, there won't be any problems."

Yeah, that's what I'm saying...

Jesus fuck, don't "both sides" this... Even during the riots of 2001, shit was stirred up by neo-nazi fucks (while taking refuge behind police lines) to rile up the left.

I will "both sides" it. Are the nazis worse ideologically? Yes, of course. But both are violent extremist groups and every member of both is a garbage human being. Just because one side is even worse doesn't make the other side "good" in any way.

Note that I'm not talking about the regular people who will peacefully protest this.

Arizato

"As long as we let the Nazis march around like they own the place and put those minorities in their place, there won't be any problems."

Can we please stop putting words in someone's mouth like this? He said both groups can go fuck themselves and I agree. We would be better off without both of them.

EDIT: Any group that advocates violence and/or hatespeech is not the way to go.

I can't believe those violent antifa would just go and beat some nazis up. they should just let them have their peaceful march against jews. the safety of nazis is more important than showing the world that antisemitism will not be tolerated.

/s what the fuck is wrong with people

Quixzlizx

Can we please stop putting words in someone's mouth like this? He said both groups can go fuck themselves and I agree. We would be better off without both of them.

I don't agree with RoadHazard about "both sides" but no, that is not what he said.

He said that the protest would be a peaceful one as long as nobody interfered with them.

I'd argue that Nazis marching past a synagogue on Yom Kippur is a form of terrorism.

Would you say that the KKK burning a cross and hanging a noose in a black family's yard isn't violent?

berzeli

Banned

NMR doesn't just advocate violence, they practise it.

Look, if this was just some far right gathering then there would be room for discussion about both sides. AFA does a lot of dumb shit.

But NMR, fucking NMR? No. They're worse. Objectively.

Arizato

NMR doesn't just advocate violence, they practise it.

Look, if this was just some far right gathering then there would be room for discussion about both sides. AFA does a lot of dumb shit.

But NMR, fucking NMR? No. They're worse. Objectively.

He said that the protest would be a peaceful one as long as nobody interfered with them.

I'd argue that Nazis marching past a synagogue on Yom Kippur is a form of terrorism.

Would you say that the KKK burning a cross and hanging a noose in a black family's yard isn't violent?

Absolutely. I am not disagreeing with you and don't have high thoughts about NMR or AFA. But the people caught inbetween wanting nothing to do with this shit, like regular antinazis doing peaceful protesting or civilians in Gothenburg might end up hurt because some assholes are prone to violence regardless of ideology pisses me off.

People of Sweden you know what to do. (Prepares Fist)

In all seriousness what really is going on with the world where we are going back in time to Pre-World War II type protests/rallies and thinking. Granted they have always been slightly around but they are appearing to be much more commonplace.

berzeli

Banned
Absolutely. I am not disagreeing with you and don't have high thoughts about NMR or AFA. But the people caught inbetween wanting nothing to do with this shit, like regular antinazis doing peaceful protesting or civilians in Gothenburg might end up hurt because some assholes are prone to violence regardless of ideology pisses me off.
Yet again, this is NMR. They have bombed people this year. There doesn't need to be an "other side" for people to get hurt when it comes to them.

Arizato

Yet again, this is NMR. They have bombed people this year. There doesn't need to be an "other side" for people to get hurt when it comes to them.

Of course. There might be violence regardless and I really hope it doesn't come to that. I think it's great that people gather to show that shit like this shouldn't go down and I don't want any of them to get hurt.

Yes both groups advocate the same type of violence obivously.

They don't. But if it comes down to violence it's the duty of the police to handle it accordingly. Nazis/racists should face consequences for their actions. But people also can't take the law into their own hands by resorting to violence. Like I said further up I think it's commendable people are gathering to protest against NMR and it is needed.

Yes both groups advocate the same type of violence obivously.

Oersted

I was afraid this thread blew up because some would pull a "but both sides".

All what you need are murdering Neo-Nazis and some feel the urge to condemn both sides.

Ozigizo

Yeah, that's what I'm saying...

I will "both sides" it. Are the nazis worse ideologically? Yes, of course. But both are violent extremist groups and every member of both is a garbage human being. Just because one side is even worse doesn't make the other side "good" in any way.

Note that I'm not talking about the regular people who will peacefully protest this.

How many people have antifa killed? I mean, the leader of the neo-nazis is a convicted killer.

peakish

Indeed. It's a violent group preaching a violent message. I think them walking the streets is violent in its nature, even should they not strike first (this time). Anyone else remember them attacking a peaceful demonstration in Kärrtorp a few years ago? They don't give a shit about non-violence.

Doesn't mean I like violence erupting from (some) counter protestors (and there's an argument to be made about whether it's effective) but they are certainly not the same or worse.

Strife91

I live in Gothenburg. There are counter-protests being organized on facebook. I'm thinking about going myself, but I'm scared it might be dangerous. I can't believe nazis are free to walk on our streets, spreading their hate. Even worse is how our government can allow this. They have the vast majority of peoples support behind them, they should be able to do something.

TheContact

Are you for real? They are literally Nazis marching on Yom Kippur.

Is there a non-hateful way to say that jews are evil masterminds and a threat to mankind? When hatred is the central thesis of an organization all its rallies are acts of hate. There literally isn't a message for them to deliver besides hate speech.

I know it’s Sweden but if it was in America they have a right to do it. They pull permits and express their opinion. I think they’re disgusting individuals with a shit message but I think silencing a message is a lot worse. People need to talk about it and not turn a blind eye to racism and intolerance. If it turns violent, then the law takes over.

Oersted

How many people have antifa killed? I mean, the leader of the neo-nazis is a convicted killer.

Least we forget

In a December 2016 study that examined the profiles of 159 NRM members, Expo found that more than a quarter of them had previously been charged with violent crimes, while 56 percent had been convicted of a crime.

More recently, the NRM has established a branch in neighbouring Finland, where its members have attacked anti-racist demonstrations and LGBTQ pride events.

In July 2017, a court in Gothenburg sentenced three men with ties to the NRM over bomb attacks that targeted refugee shelters and left one person severely injured. The men were sentenced to eight years and six months, five years and a year and a half, respectively.

They are all about violence

I know it’s Sweden but if it was in America they have a right to do it. They pull permits and express their opinion. I think they’re disgusting individuals with a shit message but I think silencing a message is a lot worse. People need to talk about it and not turn a blind eye to racism and intolerance. If it turns violent, then the law takes over.

Their message lead into the second world war and the Holocaust.

If you still need to listen to get their messages, you might have hearing issues.

TheContact

Least we forget

They are all about violence

Antifa brandishes the hammer and sickle—a regime that killed millions of people. It’s ironic no one sees that symbol as being the same or worse than the nazi symbol. Antifa can turn into something much worse than they are now if they keep getting power.

Oersted

Antifa brandishes the hammer and sickle—a regime that killed millions of people. It’s ironic no one sees that symbol as being the same or worse than the nazi symbol. Antifa can turn into something much worse than they are now if they keep getting power.

I was wondering if you are one of those who has more issues with antifascists than with literal neo-nazis.

Thanks for dropping the free speech masquerade so quick.

TheContact

Their message lead into the second world war and the Holocaust.

If you still need to listen to get their messages, you might have hearing issues.

They do themselves more harm than good because most people realize they are scum. If we don’t talk about it then we turn a blind eye to it. The rise of nazi Germany wasn’t because hitler paraded his people in the streets saying death to Jews. You don’t get to pick and choose which speech is free or not regardless of the message.

I was wondering if you are one of those who has more issues with antifascists than with literal neo-nazis.

Thanks for dropping the free speech masquerade so quick.

Where in my post did I drop my stance on free speech? If you want to talk about the lesser of two evils then yes I side more with Antifa in that regard. Do you not see that the hammer and sickle is also a disgusting brand to advertise?

Oersted

They do themselves more harm than good because most people realize they are scum. If we don’t talk about it then we turn a blind eye to it. The rise of nazi Germany wasn’t because hitler paraded his people in the streets saying death to Jews. You don’t get to pick and choose which speech is free or not regardless of the message.

They violently attack protests.

They commit terror attacks.

They murder.

Their message has been loud and clear. If they would be brown or antifascist, you would be able to hear it.

Keasar

The NMR is a literal terror organization now.

Imagine if we gave ISIS the same permits to march in our streets, waving their flags, scream how they hate and wanna kill the infidels. I mean, free speech right?
We would get so much shit for that and rightfully so, we should be getting shit from the international community right now for this!

berzeli

Banned
I live in Gothenburg. There are counter-protests being organized on facebook. I'm thinking about going myself, but I'm scared it might be dangerous. I can't believe nazis are free to walk on our streets, spreading their hate. Even worse is how our government can allow this. They have the vast majority of peoples support behind them, they should be able to do something.
They did handle nazi demonstrations differently in the 90s, but this has gone through the courts, the route has been changed, and the freedom to assemble is very protected (as it should be).
Sigh. Don't equate American political tidings with Swedish ones.

The autonomic left (which is the general heading for the violent extremist left in Sweden) isn't exactly on some meteoric rise. The preeminent extremist leftist group, Revolutionära Fronten, shut down a few years ago.

Also AFA doesn't normally use the hammer and sickle.
fake edit:
Where in my post did I drop my stance on free speech? If you want to talk about the lesser of two evils then yes I side more with Antifa in that regard. Do you not see that the hammer and sickle is also a disgusting brand to advertise?
Oh, you're just really concerned.

TheContact

They did handle nazi demonstrations differently in the 90s, but this has gone through the courts, the route has been changed, and the freedom to assemble is very protected (as it should be).

Sigh. Don't equate American political tidings with Swedish ones.

The autonomic left (which is the general heading for the violent extremist left in Sweden) isn't exactly on some meteoric rise. The preeminent extremist leftist group, Revolutionära Fronten, shut down a few years ago.

Also AFA doesn't normally use the hammer and sickle.
fake edit:

Oh, you're just really concerned.

I agree I don’t know Swedish politics I was focusing more on my belief that speech shouldn’t be quelled because especially this kind of speech only does them more damage than good. People aren’t going to see these demonstrations and be like “time to be a nazi”. They will look at it with disgust and people start talking about it and then neo nazis become more marganlized. I still think Antifa, despite being anti facist, can become a dangerous and violent organization. I’m anti violence and pro free speech. I think most of us are.

berzeli

Banned
I agree I don't know Swedish politics I was focusing more on my belief that speech shouldn't be quelled because especially this kind of speech only does them more damage than good. People aren't going to see these demonstrations and be like ”time to be a nazi". They will look at it with disgust and people start talking about it and then neo nazis become more marganlized. I still think Antifa, despite being anti facist, can become a dangerous and violent organization. I'm anti violence and pro free speech. I think most of us are.
Yeah so um NMR are basically domestic terrorists, I'm not sure you've understood this yet. That's bad.

And we already have leftist extremism here.

So your insight in this is nil. So consider either reading up or maybe not posting? Because you're way off the mark.

Oersted

I agree I don’t know Swedish politics I was focusing more on my belief that speech shouldn’t be quelled because especially this kind of speech only does them more damage than good. People aren’t going to see these demonstrations and be like “time to be a nazi”. They will look at it with disgust and people start talking about it and then neo nazis become more marganlized. I still think Antifa, despite being anti facist, can become a dangerous and violent organization. I’m anti violence and pro free speech. I think most of us are.

NRM is a violent Neo-Nazi terror organization. Not can become, is.

But somehow you are more interested in defending their rights than those of antifascists.

Le sigh.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Only on GAF do a bunch of non Jews lecture a Jew about how bad Nazis are and accuse him of being pro-Nazi.

berzeli

Banned
Only on GAF do a bunch of non Jews lecture a Jew about how bad Nazis are and accuse him of being pro-Nazi.
It's more of a lecturing an American on the state of political extremism in Sweden. But don't let that stop you from making weird generalisations about "gaf".

Spuck-uk

Banned

You should go, and stay in a group. People staying at home and not protesting is how this stuff spreads. Show them how unwelcome they are, you don't have to go punching anyone or anything, but if you believe strongly they shouldn't be marching in your city, you owe it to yourself to show your face.

Spuck-uk

Banned

When he's dipping his head into the politics of a country that by his own admission he knows nothing about, of course it's okay not to let that lame both-sides narrative slide.

TheContact

It's more of a lecturing an American on the state of political extremism in Sweden. But don't let that stop you from making weird generalisations about "gaf".

Appreciate the knowledge. Hopefully no one gets hurt and counter protestors make them realize they aren’t wanted.

KoopaTheCasual

Until it's outlawed to promote an inherently violent ideology and results in immediate imprisonment, I'm 100% ok with hate groups being met with physicality.

Seriously, I have yet to see anyone from the "let the Nazi's march peacfully!" contingent dare to speak up in response to the question "should ISIS be given the same freedom in the US?"

Because of course fucking not.

Top Bottom