• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

So I don't really get why these two games:

Are considered "shooters" and not "first person shooters."

(on a side note, i don't know why the only good gameplay shots I could google were from alphas)

Battlefront also has third person. It's what I use all the time when I play.

You all have impeccable taste.

bombshell

So I don't really get why these two games:

Are considered "shooters" and not "first person shooters."

(on a side note, i don't know why the only good gameplay shots I could google were from alphas)

Star Wars Battlefront is not a first person shooter as you can freely play in first person or third person.

Bgamer90

Banned
Didn't vote since I still have a few major 2015 games left to play but that's a very solid top 20 list. It was a really great year for gaming -- especially if you own more than one current gen console.

Thank you cheese and timetokill. I love these threads and we are all very appreciative of the significant work and time it must take.

Great stuff this year, looks like I ended up with a pretty mainstream ballot with 7 games in the top 10. Thanks to Cheesemeister and timetokill for running this and extra thanks for including very easy to process parsed data! Here's some bonus material for those curious:

GAF Top 10 Affinity Winners (Algorithm is probably different from Cheesemeister's/timetokill's)
---snip---
This is awesome, thanks for sharing. If you come up with more I'd be keenly interested in seeing it!

duckroll

Battlefront also has third person. It's what I use all the time when I play.

Star Wars Battlefront is not a first person shooter as you can freely play in first person or third person.

That doesn't sound like a super useful metric to divide games between genres for the purpose of ranking them though. They play the same way, but are presented slightly differently. Why would that alone justify segmenting them out into a category where games which play completely differently (twin stick shooters and shmups for example) are also included?

UberTag

Sweet, TitS SC 3rd place for the High Quality category. This series needs much more recognition.
The people that took the time out to play TitS SC clearly loved it more than just about any game that came out last year save for the Big 2 (Bloodborne and Witcher 3).

Problem is... lack of exposure. And that's largely dependent on word of mouth.

God damn at Corpse Party: Blood Drive. I voted it for 4th so possibly only one other voted for it. Whats wrong with yall? :(
I didn't even vote for it despite making that game's OT.
Did give it some Honorable Mention love... so there's that.

Correct me if im wrong but this is the first year MGS didn't win Gaf's GOTY right? Deserved.

Also didn't expect Halo 5 to be so low, it seemed to be well received here.

lt519

That doesn't sound like a super useful metric to divide games between genres for the purpose of ranking them though. They play the same way, but are presented slightly differently. Why would that alone justify segmenting them out into a category where games which play completely differently (twin stick shooters and shmups for example) are also included?

Just think of it being like The Martian being classified as a comedy.

I know that doesn't help.

RexNovis

Banned
Any chance someone could post my affinity list and the # of times I appear on other ppl's lists? I'm on mobile and google drive is not cooperating -_-

bombshell

Yeah, the shooter category looks to be a collection of very different games, but I was only answering the question of why it's not (strictly) a first person shooter.

Fredrik

The perfect list, Bloodborne didn't get robbed and while my GOTY Witcher 3 is 2nd place it's still surprisingly close for a console-centric forum like GAF considering it has had it's fair share of problems on consoles. It's cool to see both Ori and Tomb Raider so high too, shows that GAF isn't quite as Sony-centric as some people claims.

5. Transformers: Devastation = 129 points, 12 honorable mentions
6. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition = 45 points, 5 honorable mentions

I get that a lot of people didn't vote for re-releases of old games, but still. Transformers is barely decent.

hohoXD123

The people that took the time out to play TitS SC clearly loved it more than just about any game that came out last year save for the Big 2 (Bloodborne and Witcher 3).

Problem is... lack of exposure. And that's largely dependent on word of mouth.

I didn't even vote for it despite making that game's OT.
Did give it some Honorable Mention love... so there's that.

Indeed, I put it as my GOTY, it was just so good. At least XSEED seems keen on localising the entire series, even if it isn't in order.

Any chance someone could post my affinity list and the # of times I appear on other ppl's lists? I'm on mobile and google drive is not cooperating -_-

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, my list does not jive with GAF's list in the slightest. And here I thought my list was pretty cookie cutter.

2 of my top 10 were in GAF's top 10 (Witcher 3, Fallout 4), and only 4 were in GAF's top 20 (Tales from the Borderlands, Rise of the Tomb Raider). I only have a PC so I couldn't play any of the PS4 or Wii U games on that list.

duckroll

5. Transformers: Devastation = 129 points, 12 honorable mentions
6. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition = 45 points, 5 honorable mentions

I get that a lot of people didn't vote for re-releases of old games, but still. Transformers is barely decent.

Transformers Devastation is ten times the game Devil May Cry 4 is. Sorry bro, accept the truth.

Hayvic

A shame I will never be able to play GAF's GOTY. If it managed to edge out the witcher it must be truly something special. Guess I can still play Dark Souls to get an impression.

I really wish I could enjoy games like bloodborne but that type of difficulty just isn't for me. Glad so many people here are enjoying it though. I'll probably check out the witcher 3 soon when I have the money. Only games I played this year that are on the top 10 are Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Rocket League. I wish splatoon was a little higher up, its (in my opinion) the best shooter this decade. So many fresh and new ideas injected into a (to me) stagnant genre. Haven't enjoyed a shooter this much since Halo 3. (That was my first in depth experience in the genre)

Rise of the Tomb Raider should literally be at least ten spots higher. If not 11, because Life Is Strange really shouldn't have cracked top five.

Whatever, GAF gonna GAF.

Are Bloodborne and Rocket League really new IPs though? I could see Bloodborne getting a pass because setting and weapons changes, but Rocket League was basically just a name change.

I really wish I could enjoy games like bloodborne but that type of difficulty just isn't for me. Glad so many people here are enjoying it though. I'll probably check out the witcher 3 soon when I have the money. Only games I played this year that are on the top 10 are Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Rocket League. I wish splatoon was a little higher up, its (in my opinion) the best shooter this decade. So many fresh and new ideas injected into a (to me) stagnant genre. Haven't enjoyed a shooter this much since Halo 3. (That was my first in depth experience in the genre)

I debated for a long while whether to play bloodborne or not, as I don't really like difficult games. Most I play on easy. The hardest part of Bloodborne for me was the initial hump. After killing the first boss (which was super satisfying) and opening up a couple shortcuts everything became a lot more manageable. Just something to think about.

I'm just glad Tales from the Borderlands even made it up there. I'm also glad the Witcher 3 comments some were making on GAF didn't prevent it from ranking #2.

I'm hoping people use this chance to give a try to tales from the borderlands. It really is a fantastic game.

Dawg

Chaotic neutral

TgZ6CrKh.jpg

sappyday

A lot of new IPs making it to the top ten. Bloodborne (sort of cheating), Rocket League, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, Undertale, Splatoon, and Super Mario Maker (sort of cheating as well). Great year. I really can't wait for this year's GOTY list.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm going to have to buy Bloodborne now eh?

Really surprised how many points it won by given its exclusive compared to #2 and #3.

Well done and thanks for another GOTY thread.

I'm surprised some people are disappointed in 2015. From what I've been hearing there's so many good games that came out last year, and after listening to the giant bomb GOTY podcast it was interesting seeing them having such a hard time deciding on a top 10 since they didn't want to cut out so many good games. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I know its gonna be a while before I can play all the 2015 games I was interested in.

Top Bottom