• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Wagram

It's going to be depressing when Dark Souls III is totally superior to Bloodborne and loses next year to Uncharted. Not that Uncharted is something bad to lose too.

RowdyReverb

Halo once a name good for the top 10, even top 5 for Halo2. Not good enough for the top 20. How the mighty have fallen.
It's a shame because it's really the best multi in the series since Halo 3. I guess it's partially the penalty of 343i's reputation and since it's on the "wrong" console this gen it was less likely to be given the benefit of the doubt than a dev like Guerilla, for instance.

Man, I forgot about that affinity/recommendation stuff. It's so cool. The recommendations are surprisingly on point for me; a smattering of things I've played or would play, at least at the start.
Whoever you are, wherever you are, I salute you.

Also, the way genres are hashed out in these awards continue to befuddle me. Strategy in particular is always a mess.

Aceofspades

Banned
It's going to be depressing when Dark Souls III is totally superior to Bloodborne and loses next year to Uncharted. Not that Uncharted is something bad to lose too.

Souls games are one of those rare games when you can't decide which one is the best. But to me at least BB combat lift it a little above other soul titles. Bloodborne is timeless masterpiece to me.

Toki767

I'm a little surprised that a multiplatform game hasn't won GOTY since Portal 2. Not that I can really argue with all of the choices picked on the past 7 or 8 years.

It's a shame because it's really the best multi in the series since Halo 3. I guess it's partially the penalty of 343i's reputation and since it's on the "wrong" console this gen it was less likely to be given the benefit of the doubt than a dev like Guerilla, for instance.

When has GG ever been given the benefit of the doubt?

Bloodborne would have ranked higher on my list (as in, top three) if not for the consumables and the small quality-of-life issues like being unable to respawn enemies without unloading the entire area or having to go back to the Hunter's Dream to level.

All of these things had been solved before and were just sort of arbitrarily changed.

You list one sound reason, but
I think CoD was and is Halo's biggest detrimental factor, and Destiny closed the casket.

Aceofspades

Banned
Bloodborne would have ranked higher on my list (as in, top three) if not for the consumables and the small quality-of-life issues like being unable to respawn enemies without unloading the entire area or having to go back to the Hunter's Dream to level.

All of these things had been solved before and were just sort of arbitrarily changed.
You are asking to change the "souls formula" , the games might not be for you then.

antitrop

Every year people are like "Actually this year really sucked!" and every year I struggle to cut ten games from my list that I really liked.

General consensus from what I've seen is that 2015 was better than 14, I know I'm in the minority with my preference.

I just REALLY like my mostly linear, scripted shooter campaigns, and 2015 really sucked for that. We get Uncharted 4 and Doom this year, though, I'm back in my happy place.

I'm surprised at the results.
Not the top 3, that's exactly as I expected, but no way did I expect Rocket League to be 4th, and I didn't think Fallout 4 and Until Dawn would be that high.
Thought Undertale, Splatoon and Xenoblade would be higher.

Wooo! Bloodborne actually won. Totally deserved.
GAF's Top 3 were also my Top 3 (even though I only voted for Bloodborne because I haven't played enough of the other two).

Kolx

It might had the best multi but the story was shit and many liked Halo for the sp only. 343i need to balance their development and make a game with a GREAT story next time if they want to be anywhere near the number one spot.

Gaf has to make a mistake every now and then, and next year it's going to be its greatest sin if they choose UN4 over DS3.

so gaf has given GOTY to MGS4, uncharted 2, TLOU and bloodborne.

4 of the last 8 goty were playstation only. wow

So? All of these games were praised by critics and players alike. If they're good enough why can't they take the GOTY?

RowdyReverb

Yeah because it looks awesome. Giving something the "benefit of the doubt" is in light of negative information not positive
The "negative information" in this case is the studio's previous game.
And Halo 5 looked amazing in the lead up to its release. They added tons of new multiplayer features for both casual players and hardcore fans and went as far as providing a TV series and serial podcast to hype up the campaign (though the delivery in that aspect is questionable).

Hypron

I had the same top 3 games but with TW3 and Bloodborne swapped. So I'm quite happy with the results, the best 3 games were top 3 :)

Lothars

xbox one games are pretty much forgotten, not just here but also in all other GOTY threads. you don't see xbone games in any conversation at all
To me it's a larger issue that other than tomb raider and rare replay, the Xbox exclusives this year were largely Meh. Halo 5 is probably my most dissapointed game in years. I need to get back to it especially to finish the story but I feel the multiplayer is a step back to previous halo games. Forza 6 sounds pretty good but forza 5 hurt the franchise to me and horizon 2 is so good but it's different from numbered games.

I ultimately think that's why they were ignored more than anything.

As much as I hate Bethesda games, I enjoyed Fallout 4 for what it is.

So overall this is a great top 10, perhaps the best NeoGAF top10 ever.

Well done.

You might have had a point until last year happened. You have none.

But I should add that technically MGS4 got it twice, so enjoy that salt.

RowdyReverb

It might had the best multi but the story was shit and many liked Halo for the sp only. 343i need to balance their development and make a game with a GREAT story next time if they want to be anywhere near the number one spot.
That's a fair criticism, and I'll agree that the campaign failed to deliver, but I'll contend that it is still a better shooter than another multiplayer-centric FPS like Destiny and deserves to be higher than that game's expansion pack.
Then again, this is really more of a GAF popularity contest than a critical appraisal, so I'll stow it.

JerkShep

None of them were my GOTY except Bloodborne but it doesn't seem far fetched that those game could win awards lol. MGS4 is the most controversial one but it didn't have much competition considering that GTA4 is not seen very fondly here. There was Fallout 3 in 2008, I grant you that.

Catvoca

Banned

Totally agree, I felt like Bloodborne regressed from the Souls games in some minor areas that ended up being hugely detrimental to my opinion of the game. Blood vials in particular, and the need to grind them out, are just a really poor design decision that makes the game a whole lot worse then if it just had the estus system that Dark Souls has.

These issues and the time I spent with the chalice dungeons made me consider it my least favourite Souls-like game.

Sad that Splatoon isn't in the top 5, but considering that it is an exclusive it still did well all things considered. Surprised to see Life is Strange so high.

Also Rodea: The Sky Soldier made the Top 100!

Every year people are like "Actually this year really sucked!" and every year I struggle to cut ten games from my list that I really liked.

If the year really sucked, I highly doubt that we would've recieved by far the most participation in a GAF GOTY thread yet. The top two games from last year broke the previous total points record held by The Last of Us, while the top games from 2014 had less than half of those respective totals.

Verendus

Banned
NAjzBmq.png
vWIEz8F.png

03. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain = 1786 points, 35 honorable mentions
OhNBcaj.gif

Top Bottom