• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

last years list was really quite good (for a gaf list) too :/

01 Drive 677 (27-22-9-8-8-3-2-1-3-1)
02 The Tree of Life 345 (18-6-7-3-0-3-2-1-3-2)
03 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 249 (7-8-5-2-4-4-0-1-2-2)
04 Midnight in Paris 199 (4-3-4-7-6-1-1-2-0-0)
05 50/50 196 (4-6-7-3-3-0-0-2-0-1)
06 Hugo 188 (4-1-4-5-7-1-3-2-2-3)
07 Moneyball 168 (4-3-4-2-2-5-3-1-1-1)
08 A Separation 163 (5-7-4-0-3-0-0-0-0-0)
09 Rise of the Planet of the Apes 155 (0-4-4-5-1-4-3-2-2-4)
10 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 152 (3-4-3-3-3-0-3-2-2-1)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464620

01 Drive 677 (27-22-9-8-8-3-2-1-3-1)
02 The Tree of Life 345 (18-6-7-3-0-3-2-1-3-2)
03 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 249 (7-8-5-2-4-4-0-1-2-2)
04 Midnight in Paris 199 (4-3-4-7-6-1-1-2-0-0)
05 50/50 196 (4-6-7-3-3-0-0-2-0-1)
06 Hugo 188 (4-1-4-5-7-1-3-2-2-3)
07 Moneyball 168 (4-3-4-2-2-5-3-1-1-1)
08 A Separation 163 (5-7-4-0-3-0-0-0-0-0)
09 Rise of the Planet of the Apes 155 (0-4-4-5-1-4-3-2-2-4)
10 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 152 (3-4-3-3-3-0-3-2-2-1)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464620

That was much better, it even had A Separation on t.

Arguing whether Django is Tarantino's best film seems to be beside the point - the question is whether Tarantino made the best film THIS year - I myself ended up putting it at number one, even though as I left the theater, I thought it was a little bloated, a little thin, but a whole lot of fun. I wouldn't say it's as good as either Inglorious, or Jackie Brown, or Kill Bill vol. 1, or Pulp Fiction. I certainly didn't think I'd just watched the best movie of the year after I left the theater.

But none of those movies were released this year, and as I went through my list, basically by process of elimination, Django backed into the #1 slot. Couldn't give it to Lincoln. Couldn't give it to Skyfall. Couldn't give it to Silver Linings or Zero Dark. Wanted to give it to Seven Psychopaths, but couldn't do it. Django did more with what it was than any of those other movies did, as great as they all were.

Looper got knocked out of my top 10, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad inclusion in the top 10. Ambitious as hell. Shitting on it for plot-hole spotting has always seemed to be picking easy targets for the sake of ignoring what the film is trying to say about violence.

If you're going to make an argument about GAF Kool-Aid, I'd suggest Dredd benefited more from that phenomenon than Django did.

Like someone said - there's a great top 10 waiting to be compiled out of the top 20 we ended up with. But i think it's simply a matter of people not getting to see that many movies this year, so their pool of nominees was limited to stuff like Avengers (which wasn't even the best movie Whedon was associated with this year) and Dark Knight Rises (which exists solely so film neophytes can feel like they're advancing their knowledge by picking apart Chris Nolan)

NinjaBoiX

01 Drive
02 The Tree of Life
03 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
04 Midnight in Paris
05 50/50
06 Hugo
07 Moneyball
08 A Separation
09 Rise of the Planet of the Apes
10 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Overrated
Really dull
Haven't seen

jtb

Banned
People don't like this list? I think it's surprisingly decent. The very fact that TDKR wasn't voted number 1 is a major accomplishment.

And I'm as big a Fincher fan as they come, but TGWTDT was a miss by his standards. But then, last year was a pretty terrible year for film period.

mxgt

Banned
best year in a long fucking time... don't know what your talking about

It had some great movies but barely any of the major blockbusters delivered

Avengers, Prometheus, Skyfall and TDKR were all disappointing or flat out bad.

4. The Dark Knight Rises 406
5. The Avengers 393

ePVJyTA.png

People don't like this list? I think it's surprisingly decent. The very fact that TDKR wasn't voted number 1 is a major accomplishment.

And I'm as big a Fincher fan as they come, but TGWTDT was a miss by his standards. But then, last year was a pretty terrible year for film period.

I was expecting Avengers or TDKR to get the top two spots, so at least that didn't happen.

newjeruse

In a year filled with really good movies, that's a really average top 5. It is what it is though.

Edit: That's a little harsh. Moonrise Kingdom and Skyfall have every right to a Top 5 finish. And while Django wouldn't be in mine, I understand why it's there. TDKR and Avengers in the top 5 is a joke though.

I understand why Dark Knight & Avengers made the top 5. I don't agree, but I understand.

What I don't agree with, and what I really don't understand, is how Prometheus made the top 25.

That means PROMETHEUS was considered a better movie than

Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Grey, Killing Them Softly, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Paranorman, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Chronicle, The Secret World of Arrietty, Intouchables, Magic Mike, Bernie, Hunger Games, and Brave.

That's a bad call, Ripley. It's a bad call.

Nert

A lot of people seem surprised or irritated by the results. Well... of course there are a bunch of movies like TDKR, The Avengers, and Looper in that list. A lot of the people voting, including myself, hadn't seen all that many movies last year. Blockbuster action films (or, in the case of Looper, an action film with a groundswell of buzz surrounding it) are among the event films that someone who only sees a dozen or less new movies a year will go out of their way to watch. In comparison, I had trouble finding a movie theater that showed The Master at all
it ended up being my personal favorite.

The only fundamental misunderstanding I have with this list is Dredd. Someone tell me why that movie is so great, because I tried it and ended up turning off after half an hour : /

I understand why Dark Knight & Avengers made the top 5. I don't agree, but I understand.

What I don't agree with, and what I really don't understand, is how Prometheus made the top 25.

That means PROMETHEUS was considered a better movie than

Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Grey, Killing Them Softly, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Paranorman, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Chronicle, The Secret World of Arrietty, Intouchables, Magic Mike, Bernie, Hunger Games, and Brave.

That's a bad call, Ripley. It's a bad call.

This may not be as related to taste (I hope) as it is to availability, at least when it comes to the "smaller" films.

The only fundamental misunderstanding I have with this list is Dredd. Someone tell me why that movie is so great, because I tried it and ended up turning off after half an hour : /

Dredd enjoyed a home-video renaissance JUST as the voting on this thread started. The quality of the film being as much as a surprise as it was, combined with the timing, led to a lot of people giving it a slot in the 10-6 position on their top 10 lists (some threw it in the top 5, too)

It's a good action movie, but I would say Haywire was a better one, myself. But Haywire didn't drop in late august and hit video in November, either.

This may not be as related to taste (I hope) as it is to availability, at least when it comes to the "smaller" films.

You know what - you're right. I made the argument earlier that I understood TDKR & Avengers probably are where they are because a lot of voters didn't have the time/ability to see all that many movies this year. Prometheus absolutely fits with that reasoning, too. Good call.

Guys, this is the top ten if you rank them by number of mentions:

1. Django Unchained 106
2. Skyfall 73
3. Dark Knight Rises 66
4. Avengers 63
5. Moonrise Kingdom 51
6. Looper 51
7. Zero DarkThirty 45
8. Silver Linings Playbook 43
9. Argo 43
10. Master 42

harSon

Banned
I'm disappointed but not surprised. That's probably what the list would look like if you surveyed a bunch of people on the streets.

People need to seriously expand their viewing habbits passed mainstream Hollywood :|

Jacob

I was curious to see what trends exist in previous GAF Movie of the Year threads, so I went back to check out the previous winners. They are:

2007: No Country For Old Men
2008: The Dark Knight
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010: Inception
2011: Drive
2012: Django Unchained

I noticed that Christopher Nolan and Quentin Tarantino both had two Movies of the Year apiece. That got me wondering which directors GAF tended to vote for. I collected all the Top 10 lists from the past six years and awarded points based on position (#1 = 10 points, #2 = 9 points, etc.). There were 48 different directors (counting director pairs like the Coens as a single director) in total, and six directors with more than one film in a Top 10. The most successful by sheer volume was David Fincher, with four different films making the list in different years.

Here's the top 10 (actually 11 due to ties) by points:

01. Christopher Nolan 27 (The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises)
02. David Fincher 24 (Zodiac, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
03. Quentin Tarantino 20 (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained)
04. Coen Brothers 15 (No Country For Old Men, True Grit)
--. Darren Aronofsky 15 (The Wrestler, Black Swan)
06. Paul Thomas Anderson 13 (There Will Be Blood, The Master)
07. Nicolas Winding Refn 10 (Drive)
08. Andrew Stanton 9 (WALL-E)
--. Neill Blomkamp 9 (District 9)
--. Terrence Malick 9 (The Tree of Life)
--. Wes Anderson 9 (Moonrise Kingdom)

The first six on that list had multiple films in different years, the bottom four had only a single film ever in a GAF Top 10. The following three directors have had multiple films selected, but none of them very high in a Top 10.

Kathryn Bigelow 7 (The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty)
Jason Reitman 6 (Juno, Up in the Air)
Tomas Alfredson 4 (Let the Right One In, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)

way more

Arguing whether Django is Tarantino's best film seems to be beside the point - the question is whether Tarantino made the best film THIS year - I myself ended up putting it at number one, even though as I left the theater, I thought it was a little bloated, a little thin, but a whole lot of fun. I wouldn't say it's as good as either Inglorious, or Jackie Brown, or Kill Bill vol. 1, or Pulp Fiction. I certainly didn't think I'd just watched the best movie of the year after I left the theater.

But none of those movies were released this year, and as I went through my list, basically by process of elimination, Django backed into the #1 slot. Couldn't give it to Lincoln. Couldn't give it to Skyfall. Couldn't give it to Silver Linings or Zero Dark. Wanted to give it to Seven Psychopaths, but couldn't do it. Django did more with what it was than any of those other movies did, as great as they all were.

Looper got knocked out of my top 10, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad inclusion in the top 10. Ambitious as hell. Shitting on it for plot-hole spotting has always seemed to be picking easy targets for the sake of ignoring what the film is trying to say about violence.

If you're going to make an argument about GAF Kool-Aid, I'd suggest Dredd benefited more from that phenomenon than Django did.

Like someone said - there's a great top 10 waiting to be compiled out of the top 20 we ended up with. But i think it's simply a matter of people not getting to see that many movies this year, so their pool of nominees was limited to stuff like Avengers (which wasn't even the best movie Whedon was associated with this year) and Dark Knight Rises (which exists solely so film neophytes can feel like they're advancing their knowledge by picking apart Chris Nolan)

A refreshing post. I'm glad too see that not every movie thread poster is a starfucking fanboy.

The only fundamental misunderstanding I have with this list is Dredd. Someone tell me why that movie is so great, because I tried it and ended up turning off after half an hour

And that's the best part, unless you think watching someone else play a never ending hallway-shooter is your idea of a good movie.

newjeruse

01. Christopher Nolan 27 (The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises)
02. David Fincher 24 (Zodiac, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
03. Quentin Tarantino 20 (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained)
04. Coen Brothers 15 (No Country For Old Men, True Grit)
--. Darren Aronofsky 15 (The Wrestler, Black Swan)
06. Paul Thomas Anderson 13 (There Will Be Blood, The Master)
07. Nicolas Winding Refn 10 (Drive)
08. Andrew Stanton 9 (WALL-E)
--. Neill Blomkamp 9 (District 9)
--. Terrence Malick 9 (The Tree of Life)
--. Wes Anderson 9 (Moonrise Kingdom)
That's a pretty God-tier list aside from Nolan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom