• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Production I.G. Exclusive Anime Series ‘Perfect Bones’

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can dial back otaku-pandering in anime and without pandering to Western tastes. Creating anime with a global audience in mind doesn't necessitate abandoning the distinctly Japanese elements that make anime appealing in the first place.

I'd just like anime creators to make the sort of things they feel passionate about making, which may not always end up with high-quality works but is a better approach than ordering them to make something based on what producers feel will appeal to a certain audience. I'm certainly not opposed to co-productions between Japanese animators and European/American/other Asian animators - interaction between artists of different cultures is a good thing. I'm very interested in the upcoming French/Japanese animated film The Red Turtle. But that's something different from Netflix funding this Perfect Bones series or Funimation getting on the production committee for Dimension W - I see no evidence that that business model is likely to produce high-quality works.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You take juvenile as an insult, i don't.
I think enjoying juvenile things for an adult is ok (as long as that's not the only thing he/she enjoys).
Hell, otherwise i wouldn't be on a videogame board.

I haven't watched the show, so maybe i'm missing some major context, but a boob grab being juvenile, having as a rebuttal some cheesy anime DBZ style over the top action, it is puzzling to me.

Like I said in the previous post, the .gifs were meant for people who get the wrong impression from the breast grabbing .gif image. I could have easily posted story .gifs with dialogue but without context they serve no purpose if only to confuse those who view this thread. If I am explaining this wrong my apologies, but I'm not sure how else I can explain it to you so that we can come to a mutual understanding. Having not seen it yourself, you are free to look up information about the show and figure out if you are interested.

I mean sure but on the flip side I'd much rather take a show that indulges in "calling out your attack names" tropes over one staring "a nuclear family with 2-3 kids, a fat/idiotic husband and an impossibly hot housewife who probably could be doing much better in life doing literally anything else or married to anything else". It's all a matter of which tropes and the quality of the writing.
From the description this sounds like an action or drama anime. So I'm confused as to why your using an animated sitcom scenerio as an example of Western tropes, especially with your other example of a shounen anime trope.You should probably edit that one. Perhaps you would be better served using something like Young justice.

It was one of the more recent Netflix "Original" anime.

People are getting confused by the fact that Netflix labels it as a "Netflix Original Series", when in fact they just had exclusive rights to the English dub.

Ah, that explains that. What weird branding.

Not Japan is weirding me out a little.

I obviously hate Japan. I'm still sore about Pearl Harbor. They fucking killed Josh Hartnett, man. ;____;

Wasn't Heroman that?

Uuuuuuuhhhhhh, yeah, actually it was. Hrm. I may need to rethink my previous statements.

There were plenty of those in the 80s, when Jean Chalopin (of Inspector Gadget fame) worked with Japanese studios. See Ulysses 31 or Cities of Gold, for the best examples.

...how have I never heard of this. Holy shit, you just sent me on a Google train that leads down a deep and long rabbit hole. The more I'm looking at this the more I think i'm finding shows I actually used to watch and never realized they were made like that.

Huh. Neat, thanks!

Miletius

The seven deadly sins was pure garbage, so lets see if this one will be an improvement.

Yeah, have to agree. I have a decent "wait and lets see if it gets better" mentality but I couldn't even make this one past the first episode. Lets hope that Netflix is a bit choosier about this one and not letting it develop into an anime trope fest.

Geist-

The concept sounds interesting, I hope this isn't some loli shit.
Based on Production IG's past work, I don't think that's going to be a problem.
Yeah, have to agree. I have a decent "wait and lets see if it gets better" mentality but I couldn't even make this one past the first episode. Lets hope that Netflix is a bit choosier about this one and not letting it develop into an anime trope fest.
Netflix is just paying for it, I'd say the studio and creator are more indicative of quality than it being Netflix funded.

...how have I never heard of this. Holy shit, you just sent me on a Google train that leads down a deep and long rabbit hole. The more I'm looking at this the more I think i'm finding shows I actually used to watch and never realized they were made like that.

Huh. Neat, thanks!

A lot of Western animated TV shows have had animation outsourced to Japan, Korea, or other Asian countries. In the 1980s and 90s TMS Entertainment and their subsidiary Telecom Animation Film worked on a lot of well-known Western cartoons, such as Animaniacs, Batman TAS, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and Tiny Toon Adventures.

Netflix is just paying for it, I'd say the studio and creator are more indicative of quality than it being Netflix funded.

Agreed, which is why it's unfortunate that they've gone with Kazuto Nakazawa at I.G. Nakazawa is a great animator but a mediocre at best director.

A lot of Western animated TV shows have had animation outsourced to Japan, Korea, or other Asian countries. In the 1980s and 90s TMS Entertainment and their subsidiary Telecom Animation Film worked on a lot of well-known Western cartoons, such as Animaniacs, Batman TAS, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktales, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and Tiny Toon Adventures.

Yeah, I kinda knew that. The sort of thing I'm interested in like how I was talking about before is less of a "we sent our shit to Korea to animate it on the cheap" and more "let's make an anime, but Dan McAmerican is writing it"

...I know it sounds like a silly delineating point but I think the general tone of each is pretty distinct in how each would turn out. For instance, the above mentioned Heroman vs. Chip and Dale.

Yeah, I kinda knew that. The sort of thing I'm interested in like how I was talking about before is less of a "we sent our shit to Korea to animate it on the cheap" and more "let's make an anime, but Dan McAmerican is writing it"

...I know it sounds like a silly delineating point but I think the general tone of each is pretty distinct in how each would turn out. For instance, the above mentioned Heroman vs. Chip and Dale.

This isn't exactly "let's just farm out some shitty animation" we're talking about here. A lot of the aforementioned TMS episodes have excellent animation. Just look at this scene from Batman: The Animated Series.

At any rate, Heroman had a concept "created" by Stan Lee, but it was actually written by a Japanese writer, Akatsuki Yamatoya (with a few episodes written by Megumi Shimizu). For a Japanese animated production with a script written by an American, you can look at Mass Effect: Paragon Lost.

I'd just like anime creators to make the sort of things they feel passionate about making, which may not always end up with high-quality works but is a better approach than ordering them to make something based on what producers feel will appeal to a certain audience. I'm certainly not opposed to co-productions between Japanese animators and European/American/other Asian animators - interaction between artists of different cultures is a good thing. I'm very interested in the upcoming French/Japanese animated film The Red Turtle. But that's something different from Netflix funding this Perfect Bones series or Funimation getting on the production committee for Dimension W - I see no evidence that that business model is likely to produce high-quality works.

There's a presumed level of purity of vision held by the anime studios (and oppressiveness on the part of Netflix or any other potential Western producer) in this perspective that I just can't imagine has much basis in reality in such an inherently collaborative commercial medium. The passion of all but the most prolific directors/showrunners is already constrained by the whims of producers, networks, budgets, potential viewership, trends, merchandising potential, etc. Netflix certainly isn't immune to all of those constraints, but it has a significant advantage in that an inability to sell merchandise or obtain money from advertisers can't impact the direction of its productions. Furthermore, it already enjoys a reputation of being very generous with creative freedom compared to traditional distribution channels. If anything, I'd imagine an anime studio funded by a company in Netflix's position would have to worry less about pandering to a specific market than most anime studios. And it's not like traditionally-funded anime would disappear either way.

I realize I'm putting a lot of faith in Netflix here, and I can understand not wanting to prematurely jump on board with their efforts given their lack of precedence, but I'd hardly consider Mass Effect: Paragon Lost and Dragon Age, two productions created from a Western property by a comparatively tiny company to cater to an extremely niche Western audience from the get-go, equivalent to the creation of an original series for a global (not exclusively Western) audience and a reason to write off this new business model. When it comes to Funimation and Crunchyroll producing anime, I'm taking more of a wait-and-see approach, but I think there's good reason to be excited for the possibilities that could open up as a result of a company like Netflix breaking into the production of anime for an international market.

NastyBook

The seven deadly sins was pure garbage,
Bruh. No. SDS wasn't even on my radar before the original series, now I'm hitting mangastream daily to read the new chapters. They should let the Commandments arc finish before doing the next season, though.

RangerBAD

Bruh. No. SDS wasn't even on my radar before the original series, now I'm hitting mangastream daily to read the new chapters. They should let the Commandments arc finish before doing the next season, though.

Don't read the manga, but the show is very entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom