• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New basic tech skills that will be needed for work and daily life in the coming decades?

mango drank

I was thinking about this recently: as new tech has been introduced over the past few centuries, some of it has been so useful that's it's become part of daily life for most people, and the skills for using that tech have become necessary in order to be able to work and to handle daily life. They've become in ingrained in the fabric of society. Examples from the past 100 years:
  • Driving a car (most people drive cars to work, to the store, to meet up with friends, etc)
  • Computer skills (knowing the basic conventions of operating system UIs; file management; basic app skills; touch typing)
  • Browsing the internet (the basics of browser UIs; shopping online; banking; uploading, downloading)
  • Online communication (email; social media; messaging; video calls)
  • Mobile phones (mobile OS UIs; messaging; contact management; maps and navigation)
People who don't know the above are generally at a huge disadvantage these days. I have older family who don't know much about computers or the internet and rely on us younguns to do basic things for them (banking, online shopping, email, etc). It made me wonder, are there up-and-coming technologies that the younger generation is picking up today that I'm basically clueless about? Or stuff on the horizon that's going to become part of daily life in the coming decades?

Tranquil

Driving a car may soon be obsolete for most people (not all obviously).

I work from home and if I ordered my groceries online I'd never need to drive my car. In fact, if I just called an uber to get to my family/friends house I'd save money. Really no reason for me and a lot of people to drive anymore.

I realize I named two jobs in my post that require driving.

thefool

How is uber the future if it hasn't shown yet to be economically feasible?
Taxis have been around for 100 years, it's not a new concept.

Last edited:

mango drank

How is uber the future if it hasn't shown yet to be economically feasible?
Taxis have been around for 100 years, it's not a new concept.
If self-driving robotaxis that people call on demand become a thing, that takes the driver's pay out of the equation. They're also talking about letting private car owners "lend" their cars to robotaxi fleets. On-demand AI transportation as a service, crazy concept.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
To proof on a video call that you are not a cat.
tenor.gif

Top Bottom