• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Beyond Good & Evil in Pre-Production

I see that a lot of people are banking on the NX rumour being true, some people licking their lips in anticipation for meltdowns.

Will there be meltdowns now if the game DOESN'T come to NX?

dankir

via: Gematsu

Michel-Ancel-Art_10-04-16_001-280x350.jpg
Michel-Ancel-Art_10-04-16_002-280x350.jpg

Man it's been a while. For reference what these guys looked like in the 2004 release. I played the HD remake recently and yeah it still holds up. But definitely clunky and old school. Can't wait to see what a modern version of this game would be like.

One of the Mammago Rhinos

634012-beyond-good-evil-xbox-360-screenshot-the-rhinos-at-mammago.jpg

Francis the shark

maxresdefault.jpg

I would not put too much hype behind this until we have a good 20 minute demo

If Ubisoft kept shelving this project and Ancel still has Wild to work on don't expect to see it

As far as pre-production means the Nintendo funded rumor is false I would like to point out you can make a deal can still have delays

Nintendo lost Iwata who tends to be the face behind partnership deals

Not saying the Nintendo funded rumor is true just pointing out pre-production does not male it false

I don't trust Ubisoft not to port exclusives any way

The pre-production part almost rule out the Nintendo "funded" rumor, imo

I know it's still possible, but I can easily see the game going the PS4/XBO route. I mean, that's the more reliable scenario, for sure.

Even a PC version isn't stretching too much

Humdinger

Gold Member
"Beyond Good & Evil 2 was first announced in 2008."

lol

I'm glad that after 8 years, it's entering pre-production.

I see that a lot of people are banking on the NX rumour being true, some people licking their lips in anticipation for meltdowns.

Will there be meltdowns now if the game DOESN'T come to NX?
Yeah, I'm starting to think the opposite will happen with the game coming to everything but NX.
There's probably enough doubt to reasonably question/discard the rumor at this point.

KORNdoggy

Man it's been a while. For reference what these guys looked like in the 2004 release. I played the HD remake recently and yeah it still holds up. But definitely clunky and old school. Can't wait to see what a modern version of this game would be like.

One of the Mammago Rhinos

634012-beyond-good-evil-xbox-360-screenshot-the-rhinos-at-mammago.jpg

Francis the shark

maxresdefault.jpg

My god, that really emphesises how crappy the new designs are... when people think BG&E sequel are they honestly happy with it being realistically rendered like gears of war or something? These character designs look like the crappy hyper real take on the turtles/bebop and rocksteady in the terrible michael bay movies. If you replaced these characters animal heads with a human and they'd look like mechanics from gears of war. Lol.

I know it's still possible, but I can easily see the game going the PS4/XBO route. I mean, that's the more reliable scenario, for sure.

If it's Zelda-like, there is certainly an audience on any prospective Nintendo console. Especially with it launching with a mega-budget Zelda title. It's sorta like how most platformer kickstarters have wii u near the top of the chain. Or, in Ubisoft's own examples, a game like Rayman sells better on the failed platforms than it does on the mammoth user bases of the ps360.

Nintendo not getting a port is the most likely for sure

Just pointing out that Iwata could have made a friendly deal and dies leaving a void and delay

Ancel also has other commitments

I should be excited... But I really don't like these designs. They totally lack the magic of the first game by going semi realistic... Which the first game wasn't.

Juan

My god, that really emphesises how crappy the new designs are... when people think BG&E sequel are they honestly happy with it being realistically rendered like gears of war or something? These character designs look like the crappy hyper real take on the turtles/bebop and rocksteady in the terrible michael bay movies. If you replaced these characters animal heads with a human and they'd look like mechanics from gears of war. Lol.

I agree. Part of me still like games that look like having illustration/cartoon art style like we had back in 2000, and since I've seen the trailer for BGE 2 at E3 2008, I wasn't a fan of this new art direction they were taking.

And I'm still not with those renders...

It's just pre-production art.

Epic Mickey sure didn't look ANYTHING like the art they released when the game was in pre-production.

Why? Nintendo fans should be used to not getting all ports would not shock me

There was much gnashing of teeth in the early Wii U days when games weren't getting released on the system (PS3/360 games in particular). But for this game specifically, it seems like people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they approach it from an "NX exclusive" mentality.

There was much gnashing of teeth in the early Wii U days when games weren't getting released on the system (PS3/360 games in particular). But for this game specifically, it seems like people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they approach it from an "NX exclusive" mentality.

Do you believe there is an audience for a Zelda-like adventure game on a Nintendo device? Do you think Yves would agree or disagree with that assessment?

tci

I am not holding my breath. I still remember vividly both the music and the characters. I can't belive I have waited 12 years so far :(

Not a big fan of the character models tho. No charm in them at all, compared to the original.

Beyond Good & Evil was one of the best games of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen, in terms of both gameplay and story.

Lmao no it wasn't. Having played it for the first time a few months ago, nooooooooo it wasn't. Game gets by on its large amounts of charm and relatively good pacing.

Do you believe there is an audience for a Zelda-like adventure game on a Nintendo device? Do you think Yves would agree or disagree with that assessment?

I think there's a very good chance the game would sell best on a Nintendo platform (well, I guess that depends on what tone they go for!).

Hold on buddy I was one of those vocal Wii U only guys who purchased Mass Effect 3 for Wii U at $60 the same week EA launches a collectors edition of the full series without a Wii U port that is why I caved and got a PS4

After the WiiU no one should have meltdowns but on GAF there is always a vocal defender on all sides so shrugs

He was supposed to be a shark?? I thought he was a ferret! Seriously, I was replaying through the game just a few months ago and this is news to me.

images

I think they even say he is a shark, it's not just implied by the way he looks. He also looks way more like a shark than a ferret but I can sort of see the ferret, lol.

Well, with the previous teases, it is no real surprise. I'm glad it is really happening, but I wish they weren't going for a reaslitic art style, at least for the animal people. It looks weird, especially the fact that the shark and rhino's bodies look exactly the same, but with a different skin color and a different head.

Still, I'm really glad we are finally (probably) going to get this. For all we know, Sierra will complete the hostile takeover in time to cut off the project while it is still in pre-production and it'll be officially canceled, we'll see. This was a game like Half Life 3, that I basically entirely gave up on seeing, so I"m glad something is happening with it. I hope we'll see Jade and Pey'j again next E3, and then get the game sometime in 2019 or 2020. I can wait, I just need the game to not be too Ubisoft-ized, and for it to really expand on BG&E by taking what that game did and expanding it, like Nintendo is doing with Zelda and BotW. Lastly, I like the possibility of young Pey'j flashbacks with Jade's Dad, but it has to be mostly occasional, if the game is more prequel than sequel I'll be disappointed, since the story was the only real thing that was begging for a sequel, the cliffhanger needs to be resolved and more.

I wonder if we'll be using a big dopey vehicle this time. I like how personalized the boat and ship were, so I'd be sad if nothing like it is in this. What we've seen implies BG&E to be on a much more dry planet/region, but since it is "now in pre-production" it seems like everything about the old 2008/2011 stuff could be rebooted.

I look forward to hearing more.
Please don't let it suck/be canceled by Sierra.

Edit:

It looks like a couple of people share my fears about this being canceled by Sierra. If this was further along than pre-production (like it seemed, after all it was announced in 2008) then I wouldn't be too worried because too much capital would be riding on it, but I'm definitely weary about getting really hyped. It even almost seems like they've brought it out from the dungeon like a hostage of sorts, "If we get bought out, we won't be able to make this", as if the people who care can help Ubisoft.

Thank god it is (hopefully) finally fucking happening!!!! Played the HD release several years ago and it was a freaking blast!!!!

I'm glad more newcomers are loving the game! I played it when it came out, and it really is a lovely game.

NX exclusive rumor would have made sense because the first game had some "Nintendo vibes". But the "pre production" part definitely shows that the rumor was false. The new "realistic" art-style looks boring and the creatures images makes it look like a very cheap production, same body with different head.

Anyway pre-production means game will ready in 2 years, if it is not cancelled.

I can't wait until Vivendi buys Ubisoft and cancels everything they were working on just to break my heart again.
Please don't let this ever be cancelled

I've had Beyond Good & Evil on Playstation Plus for years now, and I've just never found the time to play it. This news is just the incentive I've been looking for.

What's with all the bitterness towards Nintendo all of a sudden?

It's not about being bitter towards Nintendo (well, some of it is), it is mostly about people who do not own a Nintendo console (or don't intend to) being worried that they won't be able to play the game. If the rumors were saying the game might be exclusive to Xbox, many of the same comments would be made, it's about people being worried about a game being made exclusive. It just so happens that if it were to come to Nintendo, 100% of the people who'd want to play the game would have to get a new console between now and when the game comes out to play it.

I wouldn't mind if it was NX exclusive, since I already intend to get the console, but people not necessarily planning on that purchase are not automatically hating on Nintendo. I think they'd prefer to be swayed to the platform by a Nintendo made game (as damaging as that sentiment has been to the viability of Nintendo's platforms). It's kind of a messed up cycle for Nintendo, but it is clear exclusives carry a bad name in most circles of people who don't already have or intend to buy the platform in question, so they either have to make a machine similar enough to the market dominators, or be stuck with dwindling third party games. I don't think exclusives can help them with third parties since people have such a negative reaction to them, only a consistent stream of easily ported third party titles will help them in that area.

Fuck yes, finally!!!

So happy this is happening, I played the first one back in the day and absolutely loved it.

Day one for me. Thanks Ubisoft.

Man the concepts are the complete wrong direction for this game. Why are they trying to force this game into a realistic look? It should have been given the same budget as their UbiArt games.

I would be annoyed if Nintendo was paying for such a niche exclusive game that will obviously be a flop.

Top Bottom