• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Clinton postmortem of campaign includes criticism of Sanders policy promises

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

the part of her platform that addressed economic justice only existed because of the sanders campaign's clout at the convention, and her representatives fought it every step of the way and watered it down as much as possible.

she didn't believe in shit, and it was obvious.

Are goalposts heavy?

royalan

You're not right.

For example:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/hillary-clinton-health-care-bernie-sanders-219643

This is from the 22nd of February, and was the first time in the 2016 primary Clinton mentioned the issue. She does not back a federally backed public option. Her policy was to, as it says, 'empower states to establish a public option choice'. This is a meaningless policy, since they already have the power to do so and have had for decades; the reason they do not is because it would not be feasible to provide a public option that was not federally backed.

Clinton did not switch to supporting a federally backed public option until the 9th of July, 2016, after copious pressure had been placed on her.

I am not; see the above.

This wasn't a refusal to support a federally backed public option. This was an acknowledgement of the Congress she'd have to work with.

I mean, Crab, you have to ignore one of the most consistent things Hillary has stood for her entire political career to say she didn't support a public option.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also from the article:

Again, we're not talking about 2008. We're talking about 2016, the primary in which Clinton did not back the public option. Was the public option a free pony?

Aaron

"I'm not a racist I just vote for them." Isn't an excuse

EVERY Trump voter is racist.
My parents were the ones who taught me not to judge people by the color of their skin, their family history, or their faith. They voted for Trump because the DNC has done everything they could during the Obama administration to take their support for granted. Do they regret their vote now? Sure. But they still wouldn't want to vote for Hillary. She ran a shitty campaign with a muddled message. Put aside all that 'people judged her too harshly because she's a woman' stuff because my parents didn't give a shit about that.

The media fed Trump until he was practically a demi-god, and the Russian meddling was a serious issue, but even with that aside, Clinton had no clear message. She let the media craft a narrative of being Obama v1.2 and she was entitled to the job, which is something many people can't stand. Trump is a liar and an asshole, but he ran with clarity and energy. I'm not saying the DNC should totally surrender to Sanders/Trump style, but they need to show more unity if they're going to actually seem worth voting for.

Ten months later and HillaryGAF is still in denial, holy shit. Your candidate sucked, her campaign was ineffective and at times cringe-worthy. If you can't hold that L how the hell do you intend to take your country back in 2020?

pigeon

Banned
My parents were the ones who taught me not to judge people by the color of their skin, their family history, or their faith. They voted for Trump because the DNC has done everything they could during the Obama administration to take their support for granted. Do they regret their vote now? Sure. But they still wouldn't want to vote for Hillary. She ran a shitty campaign with a muddled message. Put aside all that 'people judged her too harshly because she's a woman' stuff because my parents didn't give a shit about that.

I'm sorry your parents raised you well but then decided to become white supremacists, that seems like a bummer

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ten months later and HillaryGAF is still in denial, holy shit. Your candidate sucked, her campaign was ineffective and at times cringe-worthy. If you can't hold that L how the hell do you intend to take your country back in 2020?

Denial about what?

My retort: You can't vote, so no one cares what you have to say. Worry about your own country.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This wasn't a refusal to support a federally backed public option. This was an acknowledgement of the Congress she'd have to work with.

If Clinton only ever said things that would be feasible given the Congress she had to work with, how do you explain her entire issues site, almost none of which would have been feasible (seriously, read it and tell me a GOP Senate would tick off on that)?

If Clinton said at least some things she hoped to do under best-possible-circumstances rather than with absolute confidence, why was the public option not one of them? Why is the most significant commitment she makes 'empowering states', a nothing policy?

Was the public option a free pony?

Please don't just make a generalised statement as a reponse, it would be nice to have answers to each of these three questions individually. Otherwise this conversation becomes pointless.

RedZaraki

Banned
Bernie was the better candidate from minute zero and would have been the better president.

And I'll be DAMNED if anyone can convince me otherwise. Fuck Hillary. If there's a silver lining to this last couple years I hope it's that Hillary AND Trump go down in flames.

ApharmdX

Banned
You're not very good at bingo, are you? But then, you have a history of failing to pick a winner.

Ouch.

i want a politician to tell me what they stand for, what they will fight for. i am an adult and understand that sometimes things don't work out, but not even trying to make good things happen ensures that they never will.

Yes. You don't go into negotiations looking to give up your position right out of the gate. Compromise is necessary but the Clinton/Obama wing has a history of being far too willing to cede to Republicans on major issues when they should take a strong ideological stand instead. I think most of us understand that Bernie Sanders couldn't snap his fingers and give us single payer HC. But I don't think it was ever in question by anybody that Bernie wouldn't fight like hell to get us as much progressive policy as he could. Even independents and Republicans recognize that. It's why he's the most popular politician in the country IMO.

I mean, Crab, you have to ignore one of the most consistent things Hillary has stood for her entire political career to say she didn't support a public option

Of course he is going to ignore it. Other wise the facts will get the way of the careful constructed reality he's built for himself.

pigeon

Banned
My retort: You can't vote, so no one cares what you have to say. Worry about your own country.

This is not a good response.

If Clinton only over said things that would be feasible given the Congress she had to work with, how do you explain her entire issues site, almost none of which would have been feasible?

If Clinton said at least some things she hoped to do under best-possible-circumstances rather than with absolute confidence, why was the public option not one of them?

Crab is right about this, guys. Hillary was deliberately cagey and noncommittal about the ACA for the entire campaign. This is absolutely true.

royalan

If Clinton only ever said things that would be feasible given the Congress she had to work with, how do you explain her entire issues site, almost none of which would have been feasible (seriously, read it and tell me a GOP Senate would tick off on that)?

If Clinton said at least some things she hoped to do under best-possible-circumstances rather than with absolute confidence, why was the public option not one of them? Why is the most significant commitment she makes 'empowering states', a nothing policy?

Please don't just make a generalised statement as a reponse, it would be nice to have answers to each of these three questions individually. Otherwise this conversation becomes pointless.

How can I begin to answer this? You keep asserting something that NOBODY in the last two pages agrees with you on!

Pointless conversation indeed.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yoooo if threads on this forum have taught me anything it's that people with the utmost best intentions are surely dissuaded from ever running for any type of political office because people are vile assholes and will vote out of spite because you're not the tooth fairy.

Yes. You don't go into negotiations looking to give up your position right out of the gate. Compromise is necessary but the Clinton/Obama wing has a history of being far too willing to cede to Republicans on major issues when they should take a strong ideological stand instead. I think most of us understand that Bernie Sanders couldn't snap his fingers and give us single payer HC. But I don't think it was ever in question by anybody that Bernie wouldn't fight like hell to get us as much progressive policy as he could. Even independents and Republicans recognize that. It's why he's the most popular politician in the country IMO.

How did that work out for Bernie again?

it_never_ends_by_charcoal006-d30okbz.jpg

ApharmdX

Banned
How did that work out for Bernie again?

He's one of the most influential Democratic figures in the party despite not even being a Dem, and he's the most popular politician in the country. While I'm sure he'd prefer to be president, it's a preferable outcome to being a widely-reviled pariah.

aeolist

Banned
Compromise is necessary but the Clinton/Obama wing has a history of being far too willing to cede to Republicans on major issues when they should take a strong ideological stand instead.

at this point i think this is too charitable.

the democratic party has spent decades staking out its policy positions and i think we need to take them at their word. by and large they do not want single payer health care, they do not want to increase the minimum wage to a livable level, they do not want to provide free college, they do not want to end america's foreign wars, and they do not want to rein in wall street. if the republicans went away tomorrow and the current batch of democratic politicians could do whatever they wanted we would still end up in a shitty situation because the party is inherently center-right on economic issues and far right on foreign policy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She lost because she's an unlikable, unrelatable, entitled, robot.

Well, I mean I don't disagree - that was my earlier point. I don't think the market for "why I lost" is as big as HRC thinks it is because even HRC voters at this point can recognize her failures as a candidate.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How can I begin to answer this? You keep asserting something that NOBODY in the last two pages agrees with you on!

Pointless conversation indeed.

If this is as straightforward as you say, and Clinton clearly and openly backed a federally supported public option, it should be very easy for you to find - I mean, she clearly and openly backed it, right?

I will accept any piece of Clinton campaign material - in one of her speeches, on her website, in a campaign pamphlet, etc, anything that would have been seen by multiple people and wasn't an insider comment/anonymous source - from between her announcing her candidacy in 2015 and July 9th 2016, that clearly demonstrates she supported the federally backed public option.

If I'm so wrong, this should be quite easy to find, so I expect our conversation to resume quite shortly.

TarNaru33

Banned

This is a very good point. Most of the things written in as her policies on her website are no-goes without a Democratic majority. So it is a good point to criticize why she deemed it necessary to criticize Bernie's "pie in the sky" policies when she would also need a Democratic majority for hers.

Bernie did have many more policies even more left of her, but to call it out as "not likely" while assuming she may have the best environment for her policies is quite a stretch.

And Bernie couldn't even beat an unlikable, unrelatable, entitled, robot.

It is very important to note the difference in situations. Bernie going up against a candidate in a Democratic primary that was already highly backed by Democrats is not the same as the general election. If those 2 were to run against one another in a general, I am pretty certain Bernie would of won. You really can't excuse Hillary's loss to someone like Trump.

Easy to lose when the DNC is serving that nomination up years before the season even started.

It's like playing basketball and one team starts the game with 40 points.

You have receipts right? Cause I'm pretty sure it had much more to do with the fact that Bernie abandoned the south and didn't have support with a certain portion of the democrat electorate. But go on.

And Bernie couldn't even beat an unlikable, unrelatable, entitled, robot.

Cause DNC/media cabal, blah blah blah. What evidence, sorry need to make dinner.

You have receipts right? Cause I'm pretty sure it had much more to do with the fact that Bernie abandoned the south and didn't have support with a certain portion of the democrat electorate. But go on.

This is not even counting the fact that Hillary campaign treated Bernie with kid gloves the entire primary.

royalan

If this is as straightforward as you say, and Clinton clearly and openly backed a federally supported public option, it should be very easy for you to find - I mean, she clearly and openly backed it, right?

I will accept any piece of Clinton campaign material - in one of her speeches, on her website, in a campaign pamphlet, etc, anything that would have been seen by multiple people and wasn't an insider comment/anonymous source - from between her announcing her candidacy in 2015 and July 9th 2016, that clearly demonstrates she supported the federally backed public option.

If I'm so wrong, this should be quite easy to find, so I expect our conversation to resume quite shortly.

This is you moving the goalpost.

This is not a good response.

If someone is going to be a condescending prick coming from another country with a holier than thou attitude about how other people than the ones who voted for Trump are responsible for Trump, then I will give them a gutter type of response as well.

Crab is right about this, guys. Hillary was deliberately cagey and noncommittal about the ACA for the entire campaign. This is absolutely true.

Ok fine. Then do you also agree with Crab that Hillary Clinton is comparing health insurance to an unattainable pony? That's the basic argument Crab is supporting here. The rest is just minutiae.

If that's the case then why did she make it explicit she supported it in February of 2016. Then why did she support it in 2008? Then why did she support it in 2009 during the ACA debates? Why didn't she take it off after she won the primary?

Considering how a large part of her campaign revolved around her being pragmatic and extremely risk averse, it seems that if it was an unattainable pony she wouldn't have put it up on her page at all.

RedZaraki

Banned

Cause DNC/media cabal, blah blah blah. What evidence, sorry need to make dinner.

And Hillary LOST the South. Winning the Democrat vote in the South is like the world's most useless consolation prize. But he did better in all the purple states that actually MATTERED.

And Hillary LOST the South. Winning the Democrat vote in the South is like the world's most useless consolation prize. But he did better in all the purple states that actually MATTERED.

Oh I'm fucking sorry, do you want a coronation for King Bernie? He couldn't win the fucking primary bro.

Those states don't matter if he can't win the fucking primary.

What you are wanting to do is disenfranchise the entire south cause we don't matter in the general, well fuck you.

pigeon

Banned
This is a very good point. Most of the things written in as her policies on her website are no-goes without a Democratic majority. So it is a good point to criticize why she deemed it necessary to criticize Bernie's "pie in the sky" policies when she would also need a Democratic majority for hers.

Bernie did have many more policies even more left of her, but to call it out as "not likely" while assuming she may have the best environment for her policies is quite a stretch.

The reasonable criticism of Bernie's proposals is not that they're politically impractical, but that they are practically impractical -- which is to say, in general, they have not been spelled out enough to understand how they would be implemented, and in the cases where they were, they made unreasonable assumptions like very high GDP growth to reach reasonable funding levels.

This is actually a very notable critique -- as people have mentioned, Bernie has a strong record of getting amendments passed in the Senate. This requires a skilled legislative pen. Bernie should be capable of writing bills that could be passed as written. If he's choosing to push forward bills that can't be passed as written, it's appropriate to question whether those goals are practical or reasonable. After all, if he could write bills that just work, presumably he would be doing so.

Also the thing where he called open borders a Koch brothers plot was kind of notable to me, just saying

TarNaru33

Banned
How did the DNC cause Bernie Sanders to lose? Be specific.

He is saying the DNC and Democratic politicians was already backing Hillary from the getgo is all. It isn't easy to overcome such a base that is already established, Trump managed to, but Bernie didn't for whatever reasons. Could possibly be due to the constant media Trump was getting lol.

The reasonable criticism of Bernie's proposals is not that they're politically impractical, but that they are practically impractical -- which is to say, in general, they have not been spelled out enough to understand how they would be implemented, and in the cases where they were, they made unreasonable assumptions like very high GDP growth to reach reasonable funding levels.

This is actually a very notable critique -- as people have mentioned, Bernie has a strong record of getting amendments passed in the Senate. This requires a skilled legislative pen. Bernie should be capable of writing bills that could be passed as written. If he's choosing to push forward bills that can't be passed as written, it's appropriate to question whether those goals are practical or reasonable. After all, if he could write bills that just work, presumably he would be doing so.

Also the thing where he called open borders a Koch brothers plot was kind of notable to me, just saying

Sorry, but I don't buy that. U.S could easily afford it practically, the only thing standing in the way is politics.

To be clear, the main hitters U.S can afford, but politically choose not to, is single-payer, a $12-$15 minimum wage, legalizing marijuana, getting rid of minimum sentencing, treating drug abuse as a health issues, and dealing with wealth inequality. These were his main issues he talked about and it is clear majority of the U.S public wants it and U.S can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom