• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new halo 2 pic :O

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
from the sweedish mag Super Play

newhalo2%20copy.jpg

theres also a pic of a grunt without his mask on!

http://halo.bungie.org/pressscans/display.html?scan=superplay.0504

Mashing

Umm, I think I prefered the ultra high resolution shots... this looks like a mag scan and that muzzle flash look incrediably fake/touched up... almost like an airbrush.. I can't explain it.

op_ivy

newhalo21%20copy.jpg

newhalo22%20copy.jpg

i hope bungie will release good quality pics from all these mags

op_ivy

i just realized the MC is fighting alongside a fully loaded warthog! i know we've known for some time that the ai can drive, but that is gonna be sooo fucking dope :)

op_ivy

WordofGod said:
So are there any other single player game shots like this one floating around?

a few. check out the link in the first post. most of the other shots are from the oxm or game informer previews from last month, but several are from the single player game

Andy787

Banned
op_ivy said:
i just realized the MC is fighting alongside a fully loaded warthog! i know we've known for some time that the ai can drive, but that is gonna be sooo fucking dope :)
Hell yes. :)

That said, the grunt without mask makes me cry :(

op_ivy

truesayian said:
how you know that's single player?

because it seems pretty unlikely that you'll be able to play as or with jackles/grunts/marines in MP. not to mention the single player shots all seem to have better lighting and self shadowing

GhaleonEB

Mama Smurf said:
Where's the creature's shadow?

It is the same place as the Master Chief's: off screen. Given the light source, in front of them, the shadow would extend behind them...towards the screen. Try this by holding a light in front of you sometime.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm making a concious effort to use not a single sick day this year until november 9th, good lord thats gonna be sweet.

GhaleonEB

Redbeard said:
halo2new2.jpg

What the hell is with these shadows?

Well, the self-shadowing looks incredible. The shadows on the floor are the same as in Halo, which look pretty good in motion. Could be much better, but I never really notice them anyways.

Fusebox said:
How can you make out textures on those low quality shots?
With EYES. You know what EYES are? I mean look at the first pics. And that is the only one I see a bad thing about textures... It's not like I trolled the game. Not yet. Not enough hype yet.

Edit : And anyway, these are normal maps, so expect to see more and more bad textures quality comments, because Normal are only good far away and with good lighting. When you're too close, it's just a flat low-res texture really.

GhaleonEB

Littleberu said:
With EYES. You know what EYES are? I mean look at the first pics. And that is the only one I see a bad thing about textures... It's not like I trolled the game. Not yet. Not enough hype yet.

Edit : And anyway, these are normal maps, so expect to see more and more bad textures quality comments, because Normal are only good far away and with good lighting. When you're too close, it's just a flat low-res texture really.

There is not a single normal map in Halo 2. Not one. Bungie (Anim8erJB) has confirmed this.

Littleberu said:

Well in Riddick and Far Cry, I've found that the more you zoom in on something the better it looks.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Well in Riddick and Far Cry, I've found that the more you zoom in on something the better it looks.

When you're far away, and you zoom, it CAN look good. But when YOU, the main player camera, come close, you'll see that everything end up being flat and low-res. Far Cry is one exception because the textures most of the time are High-Rez on the body too.

Littleberu said:
When you're far away, and you zoom, it CAN look good. But when YOU, the main player camera, come close, you'll see that everything end up being flat and low-res. Far Cry is one exception because the textures most of the time are High-Rez on the body too.

You don't even have to be far away for it to look good. I suppose if you're right on top of an object and zoom in it can look like ass, but the same could be said for every game out there.

ced

grunt.jpg

So maybe were going to be going to their home planet, or you can shoot their rebreather off.

They said you can shoot a brutes helmet off, so that wouldnt be too far fetched.

Daxter Too said:
Beru is the Gahiggidy of PS2 owners. Stop making us look bad.

WTH. I don't even own a PS2. Where did this come from? I said Halo 2 had one bad textures. "OMG OMG. TROLL, FANBOY!! You can't dislike one texture on such a game!!!!"

It's the reality of Bump Mapping and Normal Mapping. They are all a lighting trick.

You don't even have to be far away for it to look good. I suppose if you're right on top of an object and zoom in it can look like ass, but the same could be said for every game out there.

It's not the game's fault, it's the fault of the normal mapping. The textures are applied on the low poly version of the model. Due to power to generate a normal map, always depending on some engine, developpers HAS to lower the texture resolution of those said textures. So, far away, you'll see a less detailed texture, and with the effect of normal map. Turn the lights off, and you'll see a flat textured model, like in every game, but much lower in poly due to the power required by Normal Maps.

Understood?

Littleberu said:
It's not the game's fault, it's the fault of the normal mapping. The textures are applied on the low poly version of the model. Due to power to generate a normal map, always depending on some engine, developpers HAS to lower the texture resolution of those said textures. So, far away, you'll see a less detailed texture, and with the effect of normal map. Turn the lights off, and you'll see a flat textured model, like in every game, but much lower in poly due to the power required by Normal Maps.

Weren't you just trying to tell me that normal mapping is only good from far away a couple of posts back? And now it's the opposite?

Weren't you just trying to tell me that normal mapping is only good from far away a couple of posts back? And now it's the opposite?

Nah, sorry. I'm not so good in English.

So, far away, you'll see less details in the texture. Much like you see less details in the face of a person from far away. But the light will reflects and gives you the feeling that the model is "bumping" out.

Littleberu said:
Nah, sorry. I'm not so good in English.

So, far away, you'll see less details in the texture. Much like you see less details in the face of a person from far away. But the light will reflects and gives you the feeling that the model is "bumping" out.

But if it still looks good, then what's the problem exactly?

But if it still looks good, then what's the problem exactly?

The only problem of the normal map is when you're closer to the model that the light reflecting from it. Something like that.

halo2.jpg

So if it's not bump mapping or normal mapping, it has the same effects anyway.

Daxter Too said:
"WTH. I don't even own a PS2."

You are Littleberu right?

Humm.. Yeah? Why? I really trolled PSP during E3, and I really trolled RE4 during E3, and I really trolled HL2 during E3, and I really trolled Fable during E3.

So which side am I right now? OH NOES!!! I own a Gamecube and a PC. That's fucking it.

EDIT: This thread is a disaster, bailing out......

A disaster? We're talking!!! For the love of god!

Joe

Littleberu said:
Humm.. Yeah? Why? I really trolled PSP during E3, and I really trolled RE4 during E3, and I really trolled HL2 during E3, and I really trolled Fable during E3.

So which side am I right now? OH NOES!!! I own a Gamecube and a PC. That's fucking it.

you are the root of all evil on this board.

GhaleonEB

Yikes, this thread turned into a pissing match.

Hey Beru, I think what you pointed out is called SELF SHADOWING.

Ug.

Going away now.

op_ivy

this thread went to hell fast...

anywho, yeah, i'm willing to bet you'll be able to shoot off their breathing masks (much like the brutes helmet "cap". somehow, i dont think the grunts are important enough for the MC to visit their homeworld ;)

dorio

Banned
Littleberu said:

So what do you add to the board besides your admitted trolling.

Top Bottom