• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: AMD New ZEN CPU Preview Event

Renekton

If any of you guys expect better than Haswell clock for clock, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm looking forward to affordable 8C16T 😃

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
LOL, every mention of Scorpio with you!

Anyway, bring it on AMD, let's get competitive again.

Its cuz i gotta deflate expectations that might get overblown :p Trust me, i did it prior to Pro as well.

rav

If any of you guys expect better than Haswell clock for clock, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm looking forward to affordable 8C16T 😃

That might actually be possible, Jim Keller worked on Zen. He's the guy responsible for the Athlon64 and the competition between AMD and Intel during that time frame.

Renekton

That might actually be possible, Jim Keller worked on Zen. He's the guy responsible for the Athlon64 and the competition between AMD and Intel during that time frame.
Well Jim left very early, and AMD designers completed it.

Just be realistic, Intel has insanely huge R&D and tailored foundry advantage. Don't expect AMD to match Intel on IPC or clock. Affordable multi-core is what we're looking forward to 😚

DSN2K

If they can match last gen i5 I'll be impressed, it would also be a massive leap from where they are with the FX.

Just be realistic, Intel has insanely huge R&D and tailored foundry advantage. Don't expect AMD to match Intel on IPC or clock. Affordable multi-core is what we're looking forward to 😚
He left once the design aspect of development ended. He finished his part and moved on. He was a contract worker.

Renekton

He left once the design aspect of development ended. He finished his part and moved on. He was a contract worker.
If we take AMD's official statement at face value, it seems the design was completed by AMD's team after he left. Maybe he did the overall picture and difficult parts, who knows.

Inuhanyou

If they can match last gen i5 I'll be impressed, it would also be a massive leap from where they are with the FX.

Getting to i5 level would be the best thing ever and surely push console gaming forward next gen. Jaguars are not even as strong as i3's

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Getting to i5 level would be the best thing ever and surely push console gaming forward next gen. Jaguars are not even as strong as i3's

Jaguar wasn't even intended to be in that range, they were intended to compete with Atom. Console makers went with that because they valued low CPU power consumption over performance, and Jaguar was probably very cheap to license given AMD's situation. There isn't any reason to expect new consoles to use something based on a high end Zen CPU, they will almost certainly go with another embedded-tier CPU again because it gets the job done acceptably well at a lower cost with lower power consumption.

Inuhanyou

Jaguar wasn't even intended to be in that range, they were intended to compete with Atom. Console makers went with that because they valued low CPU power consumption over performance, and Jaguar was probably very cheap to license given AMD's situation.

I know that, but that is the only real architecture consoles could even use at that time in a console form factor to begin with. There was literally zero other options to get the result the consoles did.

AMD pushing Zen in a major way signals that it will eventually filter down to smaller and smaller designs, which can fully replace weaksauce architectures like Jaguar or Puma as options, or atleast make far better alternatives far more viable for console APU configurations at a reasonable cost

rav

I wouldn't count AMD down and out.
Here's Jim talking about ARM dev (He worked on Apple's iPhone processors) and how it helped build a more scale-able x86-64 processor (which Jim lead the creation of the instrucion set for x64...)
From what I can see he lead the team, and designed it and when it was finished from a design perspective, his job was done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTFE7sJY-Q

What leads you to believe he left early?

tuxfool

Banned
Jaguar wasn't even intended to be in that range, they were intended to compete with Atom. Console makers went with that because they valued low CPU power consumption over performance, and Jaguar was probably very cheap to license given AMD's situation.

That and they wanted to use die space for the GPU.

dhlt25

if amd can release a 8 core 16 thread with instruction per clock perf similar to haswell or some thing I'm on board. I'm tired of intel gimping consumer with on die graphic and leaving core count at 4 for the last 7-8 years

rav

AMD made a statement some time ago that the remaining team completed the design after he left.

Regardless Jim is not going beat Intel's army of brains.

It's not just Jim though, he lead an army of AMD's brains. (which includes any if/of the brains that survived from ATi)

This is the only near official statement I can find about it: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/86585-legendary-cpu-architect-jim-keller-leaves-amd/

I did find this on Anandtech:
As a result while the loss of Keller is certainly a significant one for AMD, Keller's architecture work on Zen should already be complete, which is likely why we are seeing him leave at this time. And as a quick aside to give you an idea of CPU development timelines, by comparison, Jim's work on K8 was done over 3 years before K8 shipped in 2003. Consequently the biggest loss for AMD here shouldn't be Zen-related, but rather that they won't have Keller's talents to call upon for further refinements of Zen or for a post-Zen architecture.
And more reading that was interesting here.

Edit: Okay, I can't live with the wording "army of AMD's brains" Especially after what seemed like the yearly October layoffs. But while they don't have the huge pockets of Intel, they still have had an immense amount of talented engineers over the years. And is still a place I'd love to go work for one day, but my hardware chops are not anywhere up to snuff.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Oh shit: http://videocardz.com/64741/ryzen

RYZEN-8C-16T.jpg

RYZEN-XFR.jpg
200w cpu confirmed? 😋

AmyS

Slightly off-topic.

Before the original XBOX was officially announced (and the worst-kept secret in the industry at the time, in late 1999) it was reportedly going to be powered by a 500 MHz Pentium or Celeron CPU from Intel, but, AMD was then reported to be in the running also, and they insisted Microsoft's XBOX console would use the new Athlon processor.

sfFzMGP.jpg

More:

Fast forward to early 2000, sometime around GDC, Intel swooped in at the last minute and secured the win for the XBOX CPU, much like Nvidia did for the GPU.

mephixto

Banned
Ok, gonna be realistic with my prediction. Zen is gonna be a beast in the mid and low end, not gonna touch Intel on high and enthusiast market.

hodgy100

Ok, gonna be realistic with my prediction. Zen is gonna be a beast in the mid and low end, not gonna touch Intel on high and enthusiast market.

That would be pretty great really. Most gamers hover around the best i5 or the lower i7's so being competitive in that category would be pretty good for us

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
200w cpu confirmed? 😋

The one thing that has me slightly worried is the "3.4 GHz+" part. Makes me wonder if these will come with fairly low stock clocks, and you will have to overclock it yourself to reach performance that's competitive with Intel.

Oh well, just a few more hours until we know more. . .

Henrar

The one thing that has me slightly worried is the "3.4 GHz+" part. Makes me wonder if these will come with fairly low stock clocks, and you will have to overclock it yourself to reach performance that's competitive with Intel.

Oh well, just a few more hours until we know more. . .
Well, 8 core CPUs from Intel also have lower clocks than their quad core chips. You can't really cheat physics if you aim for that amount of cores and performance on par (hopefully) with Intel's oferring. I bet AMDs quad Zen will have higher clock that 8 core one.

Haswell IPC is all I need. I mean, seriously guys, if AMD can bring a 6 core/12 thread CPU for 300 dollars without that K overclock bullshit, that'd be a great value already. Same if they did for a 4 core 8 thread 200 dollars one.

Stromlord

Please be good
Please be good
Please be good

Can't afford Intel's 8 core 2011-3, doubt amd's cpu will be much cheaper due to their current financial situation but I will make do with ivy bridge ipc and some relatively competitive pricing.

thuway

Please be good
Please be good
Please be good

Can't afford Intel's 8 core 2011-3, doubt amd's cpu will be much cheaper due to their current financial situation but I will make do with ivy bridge ipc and some relatively competitive pricing.

I'm sure the cost of the chips is no where near the premium Intel is making you pay. AMD more than any thing has to price this in an out of this world category to actually make sense for the consumer.

Most people are stubborn as hell and will still stick with Intel even if the performance is in dreamscape territory, but the only chance AMD has - at CPU competitiveness- is to price themselves in a way where they sell huge volume and make modest profit.

Pjsprojects

Looking for a good reason to upgrade my FX8350 & 970mobo,if this is it then I'm in,otherwise will stick for a couple more years.

Inuhanyou

Smells more like damage control to be honest.

I personally think that they will go with excavator cores for Scorpio.

Excavator or Puma are the obvious options, but who knows if they will chose that over just using their 16nm Jaguar that they already have in production versus choosing a new CPU and essentially having to shrink that down to 16nm and then try and deal with any possible compatibility issues.

Bl@de

as everyone should. But this is only a reveal.

Yeah. Nobody should expect anything else then "100+X% of Intel performance at 60W*"

*In this specific scenario we designed

But it will be interesting to see architecture details. Don't know how detailed it will be, but we will know more in less then an hour.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, gentlemen, less than one hour until I know if my next home pc is an 8-core zen.

Top Bottom