• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese trademarks from Sega (Shenmue), Sony, Square Enix and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, who knows? SEGA is....weird. Perhaps something happened at GDC? I'm pretty sure Yu Suzuki was looking around for developers to help fund Shenmue at GDC.

You mean he was entertaining Kickstarter.

And even if we assume something happened, we're talking about a franchise that has lied dormant for years.

More so than money, the biggest challenge would be the foundation of the game. The assets, the game engine, the game creative leads, the development resources.

We're talking a game that is at least 3 years away from shipping at its most optimistic situation.

ColiBreh1

Banned
If Shenmue is exclusive then it's gonna be for X1.
MS are more likely to pay for it, Spencer has spoken about Shenmue recently hasn't he?
Also Sony has the Yakuza series already.

Personally I don't think it's gonna happen at all but IF it is exclusive I'd be surprised if it wasnt for X1

Yep, I'm calling WWE logic on this one. It has been mentioned by MS recently, so if it is going to happen that is where it will be (for six months or a year after launch...)

Sony has also made some weightless comments about Shenmue.

I still think MS is more likely, though.

Being exclusive to X1 guarantees the series' death.

Well, it's going to end with S3 anyway. I remember someone mentioning that Suzuki said that if he ever got the chance to make it then he'd wrap up the story with it. So this is really a one and done thing if anyone actually decides to fund it.

They were friends during the xbox era as well and shenmue 2 still was xbox and dc exclusive. This means nothing. If it happens itll be on xbone. Business is business, friendship has nothing to do with it. Unless Cernys gonna personally drop millions in front of Suzuki, it dont mean a thing.

Why? Shenmue did really well in the west. Didnt it do better in the west than in Japan?

Don't forget that 1 of the insiders on this forum (Verendus) mentioned that Sega was working on 2 exclusives for the PS4 and he mentioned that neither of them are a Yakuza game.

Persona7

Banned
by the way, from a few days the shenmue.com website is down. It had never happened before, no? I'm pretty sure a couple weeks ago it was still working (yes, I check it from time to time)

animation1dfg2zq7g.gif

iasip-danceb2sum.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
I could see MS fully funding this as their big Japanese Game. It'd certainly be one of the few games that could counter a potential Project Beast/TLG/Uncharted Trio and it'd bring a lot of attention to the X1 from the core audience. Still, I don't know if Sega would go for it, and who knows, maybe Sony funded it. Or maybe it's on both. Or more likely, it means nothing and it doesn't exist.

Shenmue countering a Project Beast/TLG/Uncharted trio?

... Shenmue?

SHENMUE?

Thread's taking crazy pills. That game is beyond niche.

Some semblance of Shenmue-related activity occurring under the radar huh?

K2LS5CJ.gif

What are you prepping Sega?! Can't help but imagine Cerny and Suzuki walking on stage at E3 and announcing the Shenmue HD Collection and me blowing my collective load through the ceiling as a result.

Shenmue countering a Project Beast/TLG/Uncharted trio?

... Shenmue?

SHENMUE?

Thread's taking crazy pills. That game is beyond niche.

Did Dragonborn just say Shenmue a series of games that were left to die due to no interest by any one would counter those Trio of games. I would laugh but it is not worth it.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Shenmue on xbox one

TheHall

I for one would love to see a new Shenmue and watch GAF defend the QTEs in that game, since they RUINED Tomb Raider...

Cairnsay

Banned
Surely if Sega want to ensure any Shenmue release, be it 1+2 HD or 3, hits as wide and audience as possibly, giving it the best chance of success it they will release across all platforms? I mean 1+2 HD could even be a cross gen download title...

Fuck it, just release it on the Dreamcast.

Rising_Hei

They should release HD ports if they're ever happening in XBONE and PS4 too, PS3 and 360 have been losing interest for a while

Spaghetti

this is incredibly interesting.

contrary to what has been reported, the trademark that lapsed a while back was the trademark for shenmue online (we know this because it was in a different category relating to online services)

the real shenmue trademark lapsed way earlier than that, probably as far back as 2007(!) if memory serves

now one possible reason for the renewal might be merchandising reasons... but they have been licencing merch even without the trademark for a while now

so my conclusion is:

IT'S (probably in some capacity unknown to me) HAPPENING

_Ryo_

Guys, this might not mean much but up until very recently the Shenmue website has been active, now its been down for about a week. Could be nothing.

Or...it could be updating.
Please, SEGA!

Also. Weren't the trademarks that expired in the US specifically related to Shenmue Online?

edit: ninja'd like shinobi.

People just love the shit out of Shenmue man

I really hope you all get the game so we can finally stop talking about it

No love for Skies/Valkyria/PSO?

_Ryo_

Gaf, dont do this to yourself anymore, its being more than a while and the world has moved on.

345px-ZombiFrontCover.jpg

Platform: Commodore 64
Released: 1986 & 1990

ZombiU_Box_Art_%28Final%29.jpg

Platform: WiiU
Release: 2012

A 26 year lapse until a new game.

Another, shall we?

Shadow_of_the_beast_cover_art.jpg

Platform: Amiga
Release: 1989. 1990. 1992

shadow-of-the-beast-reboot-to-arrive-exclusiv-L-_9nbFc.jpeg

Platform: PS4
Release: 2014/2015

A 25/26 year lapse since the original game.

Now.

ShenmueDCbox.jpg

Platform: Dreamcast
Release: 1999

A 15 year lapse since the original game.

But "Shenmue is dead, and the world has moved on."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom