• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NieR Automata Info. Characters, Footage, etc.

raven777

FemaleImpartialIguana.gif

WindyUncomfortableJaguar.gif

i-Jest

My hart can't bear to go through all this quality gameplay, without breaking down into fanboy tears; it's ridiculous because I haven't played the game yet and I already see myself being a fan....This game is only 10% done, and it looks this good? Insta-classic incoming.

Jb

I absolutely love her animations during combat, I love it when a game makes you feel like you're dancing around your enemies.

Byvar

This game is only 10% done, and it looks this good? Insta-classic incoming.
The game was 10% done when it was announced back in June. It's probably much farther now, especially considering Yoko Taro said previously it would come out close to FFXV (iirc that was at PGW, half a year ago).

The game was 10% done when it was announced back in June. It's probably much farther now, especially considering Yoko Taro said previously it would come out close to FFXV (iirc that was at PGW, half a year ago).

I bet we get a release date at E3 if that holds true. If not then at least a release window!

Byvar

I'm certain this will be a Q1 2017 game.
Yup. And taking the translation into account, it will likely release even later here (Q2+).
edit > Unless they're aiming for a simultaneous global release of course. I guess we will hear about their plans at E3!

Castef

Banned
Gameplay seems much better than Nier (not that difficult to achieve, i guess...), character design is terrible, straight out a Shibuya sexy shop.

Edit: ahh i didnt see the op updated :/
Didnt see this posted yet so

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/nier-automata-new-trailer-gameplay-character-details

9S (voiced by Natsuki Hanae)
Official Name: YoRHa No. 9, Model S, “9S”

A soul of frail kindness.

9S has an attack function, but it is an android that specializes in investigative purposes—a member of the automated infantry squad, YoRHa, who triumphs in hacking-based information collection. Within the YoRHa infantry squad, he is the relatively more emotional and friendly type.

A2 (voiced by Ayaka Suwa)
Official Name: YoRHa Model A, No. 2, “A2”

A vortex of hatred and the past.

A2 is a prototype model android within the automated infantry squad, YoRHa, not currently in use that specializes in close-range attacks. It was in use towards the implementation of formal models, such as 2B and 9S. It doesn’t talk much and always acts alone.

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/nier-automata-new-trailer-gameplay-character-details

9S is my guy

Diva

Neo Member
Seems like they did what i wanted in rising. Rising had so many moves actually, but you couldn't combinate them into smth cool, individual moves were great, but there was no synergy between them. As far as i see from Niear 2 it's like movie-level choreography, every sword swing and every crazy jump seems so natural, looks like my dream action game, cant wait to play Platinum games man, what a developer.

Hektor

I feel like Platinum fans are going to be disappointed when they put their own hands on this game lol

I can envision perhaps December in Japan and Jan/Feb for the rest of the world.

The first Nier as well as most platinum games had global releases. I'd be kinda disappointed if this one doesn't.

Type-Zero

Ah I can't wait to see these new trailers at home. I'm still in shock that a sequel is even happening. In addition, platinum is working on the combat. Once I heard that, it's like a dream come true. Nier was awesome and the combat was decent but it was one of its weaknesses. Hearing platinum handle it to me means this game should be the complete package: excellent story, music, game play, I'm sure the technical performance should be good as well. This is absolutely day one for me!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The combat looks disgustingly competent. I was expecting something seemingly average like Korra, TMNT, Transformers combat
seemingly because I haven't played them, I just assume they aren't Bayo / Rising / whatever tier
but this looks more in line with top tier PG.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kaine from the first Nier is intersex, though the game itself only hints at that in passing.

It does a whole lot more than hint at it in the game. NG+ opens with a story segment that deals specifically with the prejudice she faced as a child in the aerie because of her difference. That its not really explicit about the specifics (although Grimoire Nier *IS*) is more an example of how deliberately Yoko strips back the character-work to the minimum needed to get the key points across.

Same deal with Emil being gay and having a crush on Nier. Its there, but all that's really needed to serve the narrative is that there is a clear bond between the two that is unrequited because of the protagonists obsession with his "mission" to save Yonah.

wmlk

It does a whole lot more than hint at it in the game. NG+ opens with a story segment that deals specifically with the prejudice she faced as a child in the aerie because of her difference. That its not really explicit about the specifics (although Grimoire Nier *IS*) is more an example of how deliberately Yoko strips back the character-work to the minimum needed to get the key points across.

Same deal with Emil being gay and having a crush on Nier. Its there, but all that's really needed to serve the narrative is that there is a clear bond between the two that is unrequited because of the protagonists obsession with his "mission" to save Yonah.

Man, playing as the father in the Gestalt version just adds so much more to the different vibe the game already had. Especially Emil's and Kaine's relationships with Nier. The latter got a bit weird towards the end of the game and in the endings, but I think it made the story even more memorable.

I'm not getting that same vibe with this game. Father Nier was a different kind of character in a world full of varied characters. In this game, they all feel so similar already just by appearance. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing yet, but a big reason why I enjoyed Nier Gestalt was because of the protagonist.

Arizato

Wouldn't it be kind of ironic if NieR: Automata turned out to be considered the worst of Taro's games? This seems like his biggest budget so far, so I hope it does well.

I really like the design of these characters so far. But I am reserving judgement for their personalities and the story for later. Taro's games give you the biggest plot twists after all.

raven777

Any chance that Square Enix will release higher quality footage?

Probably sometime this week? There is famitsu scoop this week so I expect at least some screenshots and probably HQ version of that short cutscene trailer.

I doubt they will release the video of the gameplay demo they showed at the concert though.

Alexious

Probably sometime this week? There is famitsu scoop this week so I expect at least some screenshots and probably HQ version of that short cutscene trailer.

I doubt they will release the video of the gameplay demo they showed at the concert though.

Got it, thanks. Better than nothing I guess.

Hektor

Wouldn't it be kind of ironic if NieR: Automata turned out to be considered the worst of Taro's games? This seems like his biggest budget so far, so I hope it does well.

I really like the design of these characters so far. But I am reserving judgement for their personalities and the story for later. Taro's games give you the biggest plot twists after all.

Well the chance is real that it's going to be the least yoko taro'd game.

You know with a bigger budget and more famous names se might dosent want to risk too much. Especially considering that se even was against a lot of things in Drakengard 1 and nier, like both games' endings.

I have absolutely no doubts that this is going to an amazing game overall, the only fear I have is it not being a proper taro game.

I mean, thinking about it, Yokos ideas are pretty much the stellar opposite of what platinum games stand for, they are all about bombastic action and glorified killing of things where as yoko is very critical of that aspect of the gamesculture to the point that D1 and nier were about making you feel bad for killing, punishing you for it. He pretty much said that he wants video games to move away from that as their core aspect.

Having him and p* working on the same game could make for a very interesting contrast in that regard but I could imagine him having to take a few steps back from that idea for this game on Squares order.

But alas well see.

BBboy20

Well the chance is real that it's going to be the least yoko taro'd game.

You know with a bigger budget and more famous names se might dosent want to risk too much. Especially considering that se even was against a lot of things in Drakengard 1 and nier, like both games' endings.

I have absolutely no doubts that this is going to an amazing game overall, the only fear I have is it not being a proper taro game.

I mean, thinking about it, Yokos ideas are pretty much the stellar opposite of what platinum games stand for, they are all about bombastic action and glorified killing of things where as yoko is very critical of that aspect of the gamesculture to the point that D1 and nier were about making you feel bad for killing, punishing you for it. He pretty much said that he wants video games to move away from that as their core aspect.

Having him and p* working on the same game could make for a very interesting contrast in that regard but I could imagine him having to take a few steps back from that idea for this game on Squares order.

But alas well see.
Platinum stated they're aware what Nier exactly is.

Setsu00

Platinum stated they're aware what Nier exactly is.

I also believe that SE themselves have realized by now why exactly Yoko Taro's games attract a certain crowd. They even used his name in a previous survey to gauge interest for more games made by him.

The combat looks disgustingly competent. I was expecting something seemingly average Transformers combat
seemingly because I haven't played them, I just assume they aren't Bayo / Rising / whatever tier

Remedy this immediately.

The loot and crafting mechanics of Transformers elevate it far higher than its budget would suggest.

Also its the only platinum game that genuinely can be as easy or difficult as you want to make it. Playing Level 10 weapons on Prime difficulty is Master Ninja levels of challenge.

This what the "average" transformers combat can do...

https://youtu.be/nzbu3OmDhT8

wmlk

What if all of these characters are actually the
human weapons mentioned in Nier? Emil was Number 7, and all of these characters have numbers attached to them as well.

Yorha being blindfolded sounds a lot like Emil as he wore his to avoid petrifying anybody, and there are Emil heads everywhere in this game. Emil's gonna be in this too. Halua/Number 6 looks just like the enemies here.

It's probably not some stunning revelation, but it makes sense to me. It's a Yoko Taro game so I dunno how conventional the connections to Replicant/Gestalt will be.

What if all of these characters are actually the
human weapons mentioned in Nier? Emil was Number 7, and all of these characters have numbers attached to them as well.

Yorha being blindfolded sounds a lot like Emil as he wore his to avoid petrifying anybody, and there are Emil heads everywhere in this game. Emil's gonna be in this too. Halua/Number 6 looks just like the enemies here.

It's probably not some stunning revelation, but it makes sense to me.

I'd love this,
as the human weapon part of Nier was some of the creepier sections in the game. I'd definitely take human weapons over androids, anyway, that all felt so bizarre in Drakengard 3. Bizarre by even Taro standards!

Robot Pants

oh my god this game is looking amazing. Im so excited.
It's looking like an actual good action game too which are short supply these days.

I still can't believe this is an actual game

DKHF

In the new Famitsu scans that have surfaced (can't link or say where to see because of rules) A2 looks a lot better in-game than she does in the trailer from the event. And it seems she is the third playable character.

Top Bottom