• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

cafemomo

MiniSD cards won't work with N3DS. It actually takes a MicroSD (the bottom one). MiniSD is pretty much phased out nowadays.

conboy_sd_1.jpg

thanks for the education bit. i don't know much about these fancy non proprietary cards
i just realized that there are memory cards out there that don't cost $100 for 64GBs!

Thanks, but that's for the nXL model, not the regular n3DS (which NoA hasn't released anyway). I honestly cannot believe I spent so long discussing this on the phone with Nintendo UK today. The guy on the phone told me that if I send them a damaged one in, they can give me a replacement, but they CAN'T sell me a replacement for a LOST one. I wouldn't be too fussed if I could buy it online somewhere, but it looks like spares haven't been released for the n3DS.

Lol I feel like a noob now D: you guys meant the n3ds not he n3ds XL. My apologizes :(

Blues1990

A few days ago I posted on Kijiji asking for this game. I had three people call me within a day. There are also many copies in eBay.

I ended up trading Amiibo for it to a local GAF user.

Where are you from? I live in BC, and the game isn't exactly a common commodity across these parts.

Zing

Banned
Where are you from? I live in BC, and the game isn't exactly a common commodity across these parts.
Wow, you aren't kidding. Do people in BC just not use Kijiji? I searched the large areas there and didn't find a single copy for sale. Craigslist wasn't much better. I live near Toronto. You could buy a new copy shipped to you for $80 plus shipping if you are desperate.

Just called up Nintendo. She said it would take 5 to 7 business days to transfer over all my stuff.

Few things I like about Nintendo, it's their CS. Very helpful and courteous. Same can't be said about Sony or MS CS

Ive contacted them via phone and they told me i need to email, I have emailed them twice without reply.

You must have got lucky.

Spike

Got to try a demo unit today. I noticed two things.

When moving the stylus across the bottom screen, it is almost as though the screen bunches up under the stylus. Is this normal?

The Volume Slider did not really click into the off position. It was not as pronounced as the 3D slider being put into the off position. Maybe it is due to the wear and tear of the demo unit?

I don't know how I feel about the system. I would really like to see/try the regular new 3ds unit.

AsianOni

When moving the stylus across the bottom screen, it is almost as though the screen bunches up under the stylus. Is this normal?

The Volume Slider did not really click into the off position. It was not as pronounced as the 3D slider being put into the off position. Maybe it is due to the wear and tear of the demo unit?

I don't know how I feel about the system. I would really like to see/try the regular new 3ds unit.

For the volume slider, it's not supposed to click when off compared to the 3D one.

Rich!

My copy of Xenoblade 3D has been dispatched and I shall have it tomorrow morning

Finally, something to test this new hardware!

Mercutio

I've heard about this issue on the lower screen; mine does not have it. The lower screen is tight and does not do that.

My volume slider feels identical to the 3D slider, with a pronounced click when turned fully off.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Ordered a N3DS XL black yesterday along with MH4, Pokemon: Alpha and Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm going to give my old 3ds XL away to a friend or something. It'd be a waste to just have it lying unused in box somewhere.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I have had 3 different N3DSXLs since launch and all have had pixel problems. Is the QA just terrible on these models or am I just unlucky? Hopefully this is the last time I will have to do an exchange.

herod

Need a replacement stylus for the non XL model in the UK, anyone know if other model styluses fit? There doesn't seem to be an official replacement.

Has anyone found a good retractable/telescoping stylus for the regular New 3DS? I can mostly deal with this tiny system after switching from a non-New XL, but the diminutive stylus that comes with it is ridiculous. It's shorter than the stylus from my DS Lite; I don't know how anyone can use the thing. I've been using my Wii U stylus, but I'd like something that'll fit into the stylus slot so I won't immediately lose it.

The third-party ones I see on Ebay throw around the word 'New' with reckless abandon, so I have no idea if any of them will actually fit a *New* 3DS.

I do agree the stylus sucks. I think it is because they put it on the bottom and not the side. They should have made it extendable like the OG 3DS was.

Zing

Banned
Has anyone found a good retractable/telescoping stylus for the regular New 3DS? I can mostly deal with this tiny system after switching from a non-New XL, but the diminutive stylus that comes with it is ridiculous. It's shorter than the stylus from my DS Lite; I don't know how anyone can use the thing.
I'm willing to bet that most people using an original 3DS didn't even extend the stylus.

There are few games that warrant stylus use, anyway. I own and play a lot of 3DS games and I only pull it out for Animal Crossing because the inventory icons are so small (even on an XL).

I'm willing to bet that most people using an original 3DS didn't even extend the stylus.

There are few games that warrant stylus use, anyway. I own and play a lot of 3DS games and I only pull it out for Animal Crossing because the inventory icons are so small (even on an XL).

I play mostly puzzle games on my 3DS, so I use the stylus pretty much constantly, and the New 3DS one is extremely uncomfortable. It's so short I end up using half its length just to get a grip on it, leaving me with like an inch of plastic to poke at the screen with, and my right hand cramps up really quickly having to hold the system that way.

I wonder if you could even make a telescoping stylus that'd fit in this skinny little slot. I suppose you can't even tie a bigger stylus to the wrist strap loop, because then the system won't fit in the charging cradle any more. Disappointing to see the New XL stylus isn't much longer, either. Can't really think what else to do, short of fashioning some kind of clip to stick to one of the cover plates or something.

EDIT - Nevermind, these Ebay ones seem to be just what I'm looking for. Shame they don't come in white.

parasky

Neo Member
I do agree the stylus sucks. I think it is because they put it on the bottom and not the side. They should have made it extendable like the OG 3DS was.

Another problem I have with the placement is how I can easily knick it in gameplay and it falls out. All. The. Time. They should've sticked with the placement on the og 3ds. It was out of the way and you could easily just flick one of the fingers holding the 3ds to get it out.

Just ordered the official TPU case for my system an hour ago, free 2-day via Prime. But estimated delivery is April 8? ffs

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether the corner "lips" that grip the bottom corners of the inside of the system--do they prevent the system from closing completely? Seems like it would.

AsianOni

Just ordered the official TPU case for my system an hour ago, free 2-day via Prime. But estimated delivery is April 8? ffs

Anyway, can anyone confirm whether the corner "lips" that grip the bottom corners of the inside of the system--do they prevent the system from closing completely? Seems like it would.

Just a little bit.

Doombear

They are pretty much the same height as the lower screen is raised so I don't notice any real lack of closure. If it is there, it is barely there.

Veal

Why anyone uses the stylus that comes with the system is a mystery to me. So uncomfortable and with Kid Icarus, it actively makes playing the game worse.

Crazyorloco

Just got the new 3ds...I really love the improved processing speed and the super stable 3d. I think it's a worthy upgrade. I had the old 3ds XL and I feel some much better playing on this.

Need a replacement stylus for the non XL model in the UK, anyone know if other model styluses fit? There doesn't seem to be an official replacement.
Do you still have the stylus that you need replaced? If so, you can send it in to Nintendo UK and they'll replace it. If you need to replace a lost one though, good luck with that. They can replace a broken one but can't take money from you to send you a replacement for a lost one. I spent ages on the phone with them yesterday. They said to try retailers but no retailers have any n3DS replacements in stock. In fact, I don't think Nintendo has provided any. So you're basically screwed.

Just got this third party carbon fiber face plate from Japan. (thanks to GAFfer, wilflare)

EUsSPQJl.jpg

nNc0G1Nl.jpg

Looks and feels absolutely awesome! Love the contrast.

Gonna post more pics with the cradle on Monday.

For comparison's sake, this is my old 3DS XL.

drjrx1Wl.jpg

rYJIVO9l.jpg

Bit-Bit

I can't play Smash for more than 10 minutes without my hand cramping. My last XL had grips on them.

Does anyone know if any grips for the new XL?

wilflare

Just got this third party carbon fiber face plate from Japan. (thanks to GAFfer, wilflare)

EUsSPQJl.jpg

nNc0G1Nl.jpg

Looks and feels absolutely awesome! Love the contrast.

Gonna post more pics with the cradle on Monday.

For comparison's sake, this is my old 3DS XL.

drjrx1Wl.jpg

rYJIVO9l.jpg

woot! maybe I should get some carbon fiber for my new3DSXL hehe

ComSR

Neo Member
Yep. Here's mine, was £4 from eBay:
Its really good. Its called the crystal grip. Build quality is fantastic and the console snaps into place firmly. And it was less than a fiver. Bargain.

But doesn't the grip block the cardridge slot? Good only if you don't own any DS games and buy digitally.

Rich!

But doesn't the grip block the cardridge slot? Good only if you don't own any DS games and buy digitally.

Well yeah, but its for long gaming sessions really.

And my collection is digital anyway. And Xenoblade will never leave that slot.

When I attempt to launch Streetpass Mii Plaza on my New 3DS XL, the 3DS just goes to an error screen and tells me to switch it off. None of my other software does this. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to redownload it? I guess some data might be corrupted out something.

Zing

Banned
Try this: Go into data management and delete the update data for that game. Then download the update again.

You can't delete the game itself, but once it's been updated, it won't run without the update.

Woo! I ordered a gold backplate for my red N3DS XL, too, due Tuesday as well. Hope it looks good! Seems like it would, in theory at least. I'll take pics too because why not :p

After I ordered it, I started thinking about how cool a custom Famicom decal would look on the N3DS XL. I even made a quick mock-up the other day to kill some time before work. :'D

Customizing my handhelds is something I always wanted to do, but never had the time, money or expertise to do so. Looks like there are a lot of cheap-ish solutions for die-cut vinyl, though. Maybe someday!

So...I took your idea and totally ran with it.
please don't hate me :(

It looks stunning!

It cost me $30, at a printing/design shop, but totally worth it.

My Zelda plate arrived arrived from Nintendo today, too!

The design shop was able to apply the wavy line place, but the machine had issues after, so they called me back today, to finish the job.

Perfect timing.

Edit: After looking at the pics, I relalized I didn't have the front of the gold bottom plate fully snapped in.

Looks much better now.

Just found that my new 3ds housing as a slight gap on the right side under the LEDs area, although its not loose or anything, its probably because of the LEDs that make the gap:

Anyone has these?

Top Bottom