• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pics of Okami

i've always had my eye on this game but never really followed it closely. Looks fantastic . What kind of game is it though? a viewtiful joe/DMC style action romp? I've heard comparisons to Zelda so is it an action/adventure rpg?

Ninja Scooter said:
i've always had my eye on this game but never really followed it closely. Looks fantastic . What kind of game is it though? a viewtiful joe/DMC style action romp? I've heard comparisons to Zelda so is it an action/adventure rpg?

It's an adventure/RPG game with action elements. Not an action game with adventure/RPG elements like DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

Alucard

Banned
Hmm, this game does sound interesting. From the IGN playtest:

While many games today are designed around slaughtering your foes and cutting their remains into tiny bits, Okami is the reverse of this; it's about rebuilding the world around you, making what was once beautiful but ravaged a peaceful place again. While there's plenty of combat here, you restore the land's wonder not by fighting but by painting. Giving life back to trees, restoring shattered statues and rebuilding the very fabric of existence is done with a few quick strokes of a very powerful brush. The game is certainly a breath of fresh air in the days of murder simulators (not that we don't love them too).

As you work through the game, you'll eventually build up 13 different brush styles, each affiliated with a powerful god who has passed away. The first technique you earn is called "Rebirth of the Dragon", which enables you to reconstruct things that have been destroyed or build upon existing things. One of the earliest painting puzzles in the game has you essentially refilling a lake by painting in some sort of cosmic dust. Another has you repainting the sword of an important statue simply to restore it to glory.

okami-20060310045419691.jpg

I'll definitely be checking it out, whenever it finally releases.

Reilly

I'll be dissapointed if this game doens't have some hot ass boxart and/or doesn't come in in a sweet package with artwork and shit.

pj

Banned
Reilly said:
I'll be dissapointed if this game doens't have some hot ass boxart and/or doesn't come in in a sweet package with artwork and shit.

It's this logo without the characters, on a white background:

wall_pic04.jpg

At least, that's what the okami boxes on the "coming soon" shelf at eb looked like..

Edit:
920500_54203.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Wow, this game is pretty beautiful...

okami-screens-20060110041400519.jpg

I'm really intrigued. :) I don't play just anything these days, but I'm definitely interested in this.

jett

D-Member
Gaia Theory said:

Pedigree Chum said:
BUY A PS2.

edit: and to elaborate on that, I'm tired of clicking on an Okami thread and watching it being infested with nintendo fanboys crying to Capcom to port this game to the Gamecube EVERY SINGLE TIME.

jett said:
I've got one thanks. The point is, it is entirely possible to enjoy playing games on a different console - even when you own multiple consoles. It might have to do with better graphic fidelity or frame rates, but in this case, for me, it has more to do with the controller.

Obviously, if the game isn't ported, it's a must buy regardless of platform.

jett said:
edit: and to elaborate on that, I'm tired of clicking on an Okami thread and watching it being infested with nintendo fanboys crying to Capcom to port this game to the Gamecube EVERY SINGLE TIME.
It's funny you say that, because 'crying fanboys' are one of the reasons Capcom cited for the port of RE4 to PS2.

jett

D-Member
Gaia Theory said:
It's funny you say that, because 'crying fanboys' are one of the reasons Capcom cited for the port of RE4 to PS2.

You mean, crying shareholders. lolz.

guise

For the record I have a PS2, but i'm still going to wait and see if a port crops up. Given Capcom's track record, I don't think it's that unlikely.

Why do you guys not want to play it on PS2? Chances are that the game wouldn't mesh well with the GC controller if they ported directly. Or is it because Sony is evil?

HowardMoon said:
For the record I have a PS2, but i'm still going to wait and see if a port crops up. Given Capcom's track record, I don't think it's that unlikely.

gamecube is dead and okami is more of a niche title. its VERY unlikely.

pj

Banned
Somethingblah Cock said:
Why do you guys not want to play it on PS2? Chances are that the game wouldn't mesh well with the GC controller if they ported directly. Or is it because Sony is evil?

I don't see how it couldn't work on the gc controller. The right analog stick just controls the camera, and I don't recall all of the buttons being used..

Krowley

i have a ps2, and i will have this game one way or the other, but a port to the revolution seems very logical... a port to the GC would be a waste at this point. it's dead except for zelda.

Deku

Banned
Here's a Q. Why would anyone here not have a PS2? If this was a PSP game, I can understand the request for it to be moved over to a better platform, but the PS2, come on.

Spike

Krowley said:
i have a ps2, and i will have this game one way or the other, but a port to the revolution seems very logical... a port to the GC would be a waste at this point. it's dead except for zelda.

Not really. If it's easier for them to do a PS2 to GCN port than a PS2 to Rev port, they should just do it for the Cube then add in the functionality for the Revmote if played on that system.

Still, I'll be picking this up on day one for my PS2, and if the opportunity presents itself for a Cube or Rev version, I'll get that too. I support originality. :)

Spike

Deku said:
Here's a Q. Why would anyone here not have a PS2? If this was a PSP game, I can understand the request for it to be moved over to a better platform, but the PS2, come on.

Well, I guess if someone doesn't devote most of their freetime to gaming, and they really like Nintendo games, they could do fine with just a Cube.

warthog

Spike said:
Still, I'll be picking this up on day one for my PS2, and if the opportunity presents itself for a Cube or Rev version, I'll get that too. I support originality. :)

You support originality by buying ports?

I keed, I keed ;)

Spike said:
Not really. If it's easier for them to do a PS2 to GCN port than a PS2 to Rev port, they should just do it for the Cube then add in the functionality for the Revmote if played on that system.

Considering the route Nintendo is taking with the Revolution, it would probably be relatively trivial to make a Revolution port rather than a Cube port, especially if they want to add in the Rev functionality either way. Plus, it's tough to imagine the game's sales on Cube justifying a port considering it would come out significantly after the PS2 version. That said, I'd buy this thing on whatever system it came out on, but Revolution would seem ideal.

duckroll

I'm not so sure about this game. I think it would be better if that plate on top of the wolf was actually the triangle button on the Dual Shock 2. It would give it more personality as a Sony game.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh Christ, this thread turned into another crying fest over why Gamecube should also get Okami?

Yes, great games like this should be on more systems. It's not, so, BUY A PS2. 90% of the good games that came out last gen are there anyway, catch up already.

duckroll said:
I'm not so sure about this game. I think it would be better if that plate on top of the wolf was actually the triangle button on the Dual Shock 2. It would give it more personality as a Sony game.

Imagine if it was on Gamecube, and they had a cool DS adapter specifically for this game. Then when it's time to do the drawing, you'd pop out your DS and quickly do the scribbling!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
eeyore the donkey said:

QFT.

J/k. This game seems pretty awesome. I would want it on the GC for better graphics, but if they port it from the PS2 version, I think there wouldn't be a significant amount of difference. Not unless they built it from the ground up for the GC, which is definitely not the case for this.

A shame this game will probably bomb, though. :(

Electrii

This game will probably be a hit in japan at least, what's all the pesimissm about? because it doesn't have tits and animu characters it's going to bomb?

Ewww, why would anyone want a gamecube port? Do you want to see okami fail? The best chance for this game is to come out on the ps2. Im a pretty prolific and blatant nintendo fanboy and I sold my cube about a year ago because the platform is dead. Get over it already, its not going to happen.

Although I think a rev launch title could help the game get noticed, (although a ps3 launch title would have teh same effect)

Amir0x

Banned
Probationsmack said:
Ewww, why would anyone want a gamecube port? Do you want to see okami fail? The best chance for this game is to come out on the ps2. Im a pretty prolific and blatant nintendo fanboy and I sold my cube about a year ago because the platform is dead. Get over it already, its not going to happen.

Although I think a rev launch title could help the game get noticed, (although a ps3 launch title would have teh same effect)

I actually think a Gamecube port might do pretty well, but I don't care if it gets one since I own a PS2 as well.

Dragmire

How can beauty grace a console less powerful than the Xbox? Honestly, this is the most stylish 3D game I've ever seen.

And putting it on GameCube might be a bad idea, as it would be a vicious brawl between this and Twilight Princess, and we know who would get undeservedly slaughtered (assuming Okami is as good as it looks).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The timed demo of Okami in the latest OPm was a lot of fun, and definitely got me interested in Okami again. I loved the way flowers grow in the wolf's wake as it runs.

Brannon

Oh GOD and I thought the demo was beautiful... That vid was some straight hotness.

They'd better market this game like no other.

Top Bottom