• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Titan X (Pascal) announced

Which upcoming Nvidia card are you most excited for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

ZoyosJD

Yeah, that's why I said may.

I didn't see that anywhere in your commentary. Even so, the performance difference seems most related to drivers which nvidia has an upper hand on initially.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Is it wrong to suggest people not reference a value that is completely unreasonable to evaluate when there is an equation for it?

Furthermore all operations in game scenarios are not necessarily the same full MUL ADD operations in the theoretical FLOP computation, so they wouldn't all even be directly comparable.

dr_rus

Nvidia announced Quadro P6000 with 24GB GDDR5X and 3840 CUDA cores.
So, either this is P100, as the story claims, and Nvidia has created P100 GDDR5X and HBM variants, or this is GP102 with more cores and Nvidia TITAN X is derived from this part with cores disabled.

It's GP102 with all SMs active. P100 isn't a chip you can base Quadro on and GP100 doesn't have a GDDR5X bus.

GP102 is 471mm2 die size.
314*1.5=471. That's some perfectly linear scaling.

x3sphere

I think it is a real Titan. Its FP16 wasn't deeply nerfed, so it has non-gaming uses like deep-learning.

According to Anandtech FP16/64 is the same as GP104, but it does have INT8.

NVIDIA has given us a few answers to the question above. We have confirmation that the FP64 and FP16 rates are identical to GP104, which is to say very slow, and primarily there for compatibility/debug purposes. With the exception of INT8 support, this is a bigger GP104 throughout.

Meanwhile we have a die size for GP102: 471mm2, which is 139mm2 smaller than GP100. Given that both (presumably) have the same number of FP32 cores, the die space savings and implications are significant. This is as best of an example as we're ever going to get on the die space cost of the HPC features limited to GP100: NVLInk, fast FP64/FP16 support, larger register files, etc. By splitting HPC and graphics/inference into two GPUs, NVIDIA can produce GP102 at what should be a significantly lower price (and higher yield), something they couldn't do until the market for compute products based on GP100 was self-sustaining.

Finally, NVIDIA has clarified the branding a bit. Despite GeForce.com labeling it "the world’s ultimate graphics card," NVIDIA this morning has stated that the primary market is FP32 and INT8 compute, not gaming. Though gaming is certainly possible - and I fully expect they'll be happy to sell you $1200 gaming cards - the tables have essentially been flipped from the past Titan cards, where they were treated as gaming first and compute second. This of course opens the door to a proper GeForce branded GP102 card later on, possibly with neutered INT8 support to enforce the market segmentation.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510...-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

Trojan

According to Anandtech FP16/64 is the same as GP104, but it does have INT8.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10510...-titan-x-video-card-1200-available-august-2nd

So Nvidia is not marketing the Titan X as a "gaming first" card? I'm confused, I thought this card was being rolled out as specifically with gaming in mind. It doesn't change the specs at all, but the reason I ask is because I wouldn't want to buy one of these things only to have them release a gaming-focused version within a couple months.

Smokey

So Nvidia is not marketing the Titan X as a "gaming first" card? I'm confused, I thought this card was being rolled out as specifically with gaming in mind. It doesn't change the specs at all, but the reason I ask is because I wouldn't want to buy one of these things only to have them release a gaming-focused version within a couple months.

The Ti versions are always the "gaming-focused" version, even though the TITAN line clearly plays games as well. It's more of a prosumer card.

The TITAN line doesn't even have the GeForce branding on it.

x3sphere

The Ti versions are always the "gaming-focused" version, even though the TITAN line clearly plays games as well. It's more of a prosumer card.

The TITAN line doesn't even have the GeForce branding on it.

It used to, though.

Well, the messaging this time is a bit confusing, I agree. Nvidia shying away from marketing this a gaming card first makes me wonder if it won't be king of the hill for as long as previous Titans have at least for gaming. Distancing the Titan line from gaming basically lets Nvidia say that it wasn't built for gaming first and foremost if it ends up getting superseded quickly. But I could be reading into things too much.

dr_rus

It is gaming card first and on 2nd of Aug there will be gaming benchmarks. But buying one now seems like a rush decision. At least wait for the "Ti" version which may be a lot cheaper while being not much slower.

A-V-B

It is gaming card first and on 2nd of Aug there will be gaming benchmarks. But buying one now seems like a rush decision. At least wait for the "Ti" version which may be a lot cheaper while being not much slower.

prediction: ti comes in 900-1100 dollars

Trojan

I would be much more apt to wait for the Ti version if I knew when it would release, but Nvidia will keep quiet on that to try and maximize Titan X sales I imagine. Their release timing seems strange with this card coming so close to the 1080, so I have no idea if they'll push out the Ti in 2, 6, or 12 months. I mean if you think about it, after the Titan X comes out they'll have the "normal", "high", and "very high" ends of the market covered with the 1070, 1080, and Titan X. Rushing the Ti version seems counterintuitive because it could canibalize sales for those existing cards.

ZoyosJD

I said "and may end up performing less flops on any given scene".

That's an entirely different sentiment.

Look at how many triangles the geforces are able to just skip. This not only means that nvidia GPUs have to render less triangles, but they also end up shading less pixels. This is probably a big part of why geforces are able to make do with so much less theoretical power than radeons.

BTW, Do you have a source on that graph. It's hard to say it means anything without more information.

dogen

That's an entirely different sentiment.

BTW, Do you have a source on that graph. It's hard to say it means anything without more information.

Yeah, it's from hardware.fr. I don't know what program they use for that test.

All I was trying to say is that in addition to any performance advantages from drivers, geforces also handle geometry faster. Whether that's transforming geometry or culling, it seems they have a big advantage.

dr_rus

I would be much more apt to wait for the Ti version if I knew when it would release, but Nvidia will keep quiet on that to try and maximize Titan X sales I imagine. Their release timing seems strange with this card coming so close to the 1080, so I have no idea if they'll push out the Ti in 2, 6, or 12 months. I mean if you think about it, after the Titan X comes out they'll have the "normal", "high", and "very high" ends of the market covered with the 1070, 1080, and Titan X. Rushing the Ti version seems counterintuitive because it could canibalize sales for those existing cards.
There's quite a gap between 1080 ($600-700) and Titan X ($1200). I'm one of those people who can't justify jumping to a 1080 and can't justify spending $1200 on a videocard either but would've jumped at 1080Ti for some $800-900. I'm pretty certain that I'm not the only one.

AnandTech explained the differences between GP104 and P100.
FP16 is even slower than Maxwell.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/4

GP102 looks like a GP104 with INT8 support.

Maxwell doesn't have native FP16 support, it's emulated via FP32 on it (exception being Tegra X1). It is faster but it's not native.
And as I've said Int8 support should be the same between GP104 and GP102 (and GP106 for that matter), some CUDA benches show this already.

x3sphere

Another Anandtech article today confirms the Quadro P6000 will have 3840 CUDA cores, 24GB RAM, based on GP102: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10516/...ro-p6000-p5000

So this Titan is a cut down chip as some expected, I would imagine we'll see the full GP102 in another card at some point, will be interesting if they use that for the Ti or just refresh the Titan and release an even further cut down Ti.

iirc, back with Kepler, the full GK110 was released with 780 Ti first, the Titan Black came out afterwards.

PFD

There's quite a gap between 1080 ($600-700) and Titan X ($1200). I'm one of those people who can't justify jumping to a 1080 and can't justify spending $1200 on a videocard either but would've jumped at 1080Ti for some $800-900. I'm pretty certain that I'm not the only one.

If they release the 1080Ti later this year at $650-700 and lower the price of the 1080 to $500, i will go for the Ti.

Otherwise, i'm sticking with my 980Ti.

1080Ti for $800-900 would be fucking hilarious. Unfortunately, there's a good chance it might happen at this rate

If they release the 1080Ti later this year at $650-700 and lower the price of the 1080 to $500, i will go for the Ti.

1080Ti for $800-900 would be fucking hilarious. Unfortunately, there's a good chance it might happen at this rate

the 1080ti is never gong to be 650 to 700. 850 seems like a realistic minimum

ethomaz

Banned

I found hilarious to expect 1080ti at $650-700.

Won't happen.

I found hilarious to expect 1080ti at $650-700.

Won't happen.

Yea they have zero incentive to drop prices or to push out HBM2. If the well starts to dry they'll make a move, but it'd be a stupid business decision not to capitalize on what they've got going.

ethomaz

Banned
Yea they have zero incentive to drop prices or to push out HBM2. If the well starts to dry they'll make a move, but it'd be a stupid business decision not to capitalize on what they've got going.
I mean release a card more powerful than GTX 1080 at the same price is bad business... GTX 1080ti will be priced at least 20% over GTX 1080.

About HMB2 I think it is unnecessary if GDDR5 can reach over 450GB/s.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Meh, now I'm considering just holding on to my 780 Ti for now. I'm not playing anything demanding at the moment and BF1 isn't until late October...
edit: Now I'm back on the fence...

So what's the new consensus with Anandtech's news and everything else over the last few days.

I have an X34 monitor and a Seahawk 1080, and I'm wondering if it'd be better to jump to this sooner rather than later. I'd love to maximize that 100hz refresh rate for as long as possible, and I'm not sure how the 1080 is going to handle BF1 and some of the other releases this year Ultra at 3440x1440.

x3sphere

So what's the new consensus with Anandtech's news and everything else over the last few days.

I have an X34 monitor and a Seahawk 1080, and I'm wondering if it'd be better to jump to this sooner rather than later. I'd love to maximize that 100hz refresh rate for as long as possible, and I'm not sure how the 1080 is going to handle BF1 and some of the other releases this year Ultra at 3440x1440.

I think it all depends when Vega releases/how competitive will be. Nvidia probably already has a rough estimate of this

Assuming the Vega lineup is strong and comes out this year it could force a price drop on 1080, paving the way to a ~$700 1080 Ti that matches the Titan.

If Vega isn't out until next year then either, there will be no Ti this year or they will come out with one at $900

If much of your performance concern is with future titles, then I'd suggest waiting at least until they're out and then decide.

dr_rus

I think that it will be hard to justify upgrading from 1080 to the new Ti card. The difference will likely be somewhere around 20%.

From what I've been hearing they aren't even sending these cards out to reviewers.

If it was a "Gaming First" card they'd have one in the hands of every reviewer.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm just wondering what the green text on the side of the card is going to say since its not a GeForce GTX anymore...

x3sphere

I'm just wondering what the green text on the side of the card is going to say since its not a GeForce GTX anymore...

Still says GEFORCE GTX on the side

CoQC--xVYAAue7Q.jpg

Found the pic here https://twitter.com/AndrewYNg/status/757734438436343808

dr_rus

From what I've been hearing they aren't even sending these cards out to reviewers.

Samples are very limited so not every site out there will get them. But those which do will benchmark the card in games obviously.

Trojan

Samples are very limited so not every site out there will get them. But those which do will benchmark the card in games obviously.

Any word on if it's true reviews will be limited upon release? I really want this card, but it sure seems risky if there will be limited reviews at release and Nvidia isn't doing their full gaming-first marketing. Everything about this card seems beastly but I'd feel a lot better reading a few reviews before purchase.

Any word on if it's true reviews will be limited upon release? I really want this card, but it sure seems risky if there will be limited reviews at release and Nvidia isn't doing their full gaming-first marketing. Everything about this card seems beastly but I'd feel a lot better reading a few reviews before purchase.

its just a bigger 1080. add ~30% on top of 1080 and you know what to expect

dr_rus

I'm sure that main review sites like TPU, Anandtech, PcPer, etc will get the review samples. It's those of "second tier" which probably won't.

It's also worth mentioning that the cards will only be sold through NV's website which limits the geography of availability somewhat and thus the sites which are located in countries which won't be able to buy the card (at least via the official channel; I'm sure there will be "grey" resellers) probably won't get the review samples either.

Top Bottom